The immortal life?

22 Years

Days had passed and everything was kind of back to its normal state. Besides the fact that I still received messages from Unknown. 

Today we had a meeting planned at work, wanting to combine our company with a company working on future technology as in living forever, flying cars and all that science fiction stuff. I was not really excited about this and nor did I jump in excitement as they introduced their ideas to us. 

 

„We introduce you to the chip card of your life“, the man exclaimed as he showed the card to us. It was pretty small and glistened in the light. „This will change our life‘s. It saves all our memories, personalities - in short saves us, in order to live forever“, he presented confidently. How many people thought they came up with the solution to be immortal. It was already tiring. Humans were not made to life to be immortal; especially our bodies. Our company boss seemed interested though in the idea of being immortal. Silently I listened as I made notes on my paper. It had always been the idea of humans to be immortal but nothing worked and now, a chip card, a simple chip card shall be the solution? Ridiculous. After three hours listening to all of this crazy fantasies, I was finally over with it and quickly went back to my desk where Lina already waited to hear the news. 

 

„This is crazy“, she said after I told her everything. „Yes but you know what is even more crazy? Our boss agreed to test the newest technology“, I whispered. Actually I had to keep it to myself but I knew Lina would keep it down. I trusted her after all. But, soon after my phone went off. 

 

/Unknown: Can‘t believe your boss agreed to such a thing. People could die from these tests.

/Me: For once I gotta agree but how come you know?/

/Unknown: I was there. Funny isn‘t it? We meet more often then you actually think/

 

Lina was eyeing the display, reading along. „Does this Unknown still contact you?“, „As you see yes. It is getting creepier each time“, I mumbled and sighed softly before putting my phone away. I didn‘t want to see these messages that kept coming in from that person. I continued my work trying to focus on it for the last remaining hours. Yet my mind always wandered back to the meeting as I tried to remember a face I could maybe know but sadly I had not paid much attention to the people. -!- I cursed in my head and leaned back in my chair.

 

Back at home I checked the messages I received. Some were from out chat group and the others from Unknown. 

 

/Unknown: You didn‘t notice me did you?

/Unknown: You look quite cute like this. You should wear such clothes more often. Suits you./

/Unknown: Soon we‘ll meet again./

 

Rubbing my forehead I once more put my phone away, taking a shower in hope the hot to wash away my thoughts, I let my mind take me to different places. Thankfully I had success with my idea and took my time to shower. After what felt like one and a half hours of showering, my skin looked wrinkled and my skin lightly red but I never felt better. Putting body lotion on myself, I dried my hair before I left the bathroom. Not just did I calm down, but also settled up my mind. Picking up my phone, I typed in a message for Unknown.

 

/Me: Let‘s make a deal. I fulfill you one wish and I get to know who you are./

/Unknown: Sounds fun but all you‘ll get is a hint. You‘d need to fulfill me more then one wish. Doesn‘t this get interesting now?/

/Me: Fine. What do you want me to do?/

 

—————

 

There I was in the middle of the city, waiting for the go. Somewhere in the middle of the crowd, there was Unknown, watching the whole show. Not that anything weird would happen. I waited for someone to approach me with a box, the person soon coming over. „There you go“, with that I was left again. Inside the box was a beautiful dress neatly folded. A handwritten note inside as well. 

„Next task, wear the dress and get into the newly opened restaurant“, it said and I did as told.

After somehow squeezing myself in the dress, I got to the new restaurant. It was an expensive one and I took in a deep breath as I entered the place.

 

Chandeliers were dangling from the ceiling, glistening in a beautiful way and tinting the room in elegance. The tables had a red tablecloth and the plates and glasses seemed polished. I was in awe as I saw this sight before I got pulled back to earth. „Miss? Your table is ready. Would you follow me please?“, the waiter asked. He was really handsome, his hair being pushed back and fixed with hair wax. His smile was warming and welcoming making me feel comfortable right away and so I followed his elegant walking figure to the table.

 

My chair was pulled out for me to sit down. It was really nobel in here and it made me feel kind of nervous. What would happen? Will I be left alone? „Your partner must arrive any minute Miss“, the waiter said before he excused himself. Partner? So I will be dining with someone? Biting my lower lip, I tried not to glance around too obviously. But I was way too curious about my partner. I wondered if Unknown would show up, yet again, he or she didn‘t want to reveal their identity so it couldn‘t be that person. After I long while, even after ordering my second drink, I slowly grew annoyed and impatient that I decided to text the person. Because not even the soothing sound of the piano could calm me down anymore.

 

/Me: What is this? We had a deal you moron! What are you planning? Is this another game of yours?/

 

I got no answer which annoyed me even more and got me groaning. „Hey what are you doing here?“, I looked up in surprise as I saw Yoongi stand next to me. „I could ask you the same thing“, I said trying not to sound too annoyed. „I am one of the pianists here. My side job. Your turn“, I couldn‘t really tell my real intentions so I just came up with an excuse. „Actually I came to meet someone but they seemed to have changed their mind“, Yoongi nodded at my words seeming to swallow them before he spoke up. „Mind if I give you company then? If you are already here why not enjoy it a little longer?“, smiling at his offer, I signaled him that it was more then appreciated. Yoongi was as well more quiet then the rest of the guys but, he had something that balanced the guys out. „So who was that person who let you down? I mean.. that person must be kind of stupid and a coward for not even letting you know“, I looked at Yoongi, his eyes darting me and his question startled me. . „I .. it was a blind date“, I somehow tried to get out of this. „Anyways, you play pretty good. Didn‘t expect you to play the piano“, it got Yoongi chuckling softly and nodded. „No one expects that. But I am in love with it. For a moment I can forget about everything“, he explained.

 

We talked till late into the night, enjoying each others company. Thanks to Yoongi working here, we got even a few percents off. „I will walk you home“, he held open the door for me to let me out first and the chilly night air hit my skin. It was really refreshing and exactly what I needed - pleasing. I never had talked so much with Yoongi and it actually surprised me that he actually could talk that much but all in all, it was nice and he held a lot of humor hidden in himself. During our walk though, we kept silent. It was not awkward but it seemed like we ran out of stuff to talk about. So we just enjoyed our walk under the stars and I forgot about Unknown. But my light headed soul, should soon be awakened back to life, letting all the worry return in one shot. Reaching the building, Yoongi followed me to the elevator to push the button. Once we reached my floor I was about to bid my goodbye until Yoongi pointed something out that made me freeze. „Did you leave your door open by purpose?“, turning towards my door, I had to see that he was right. Without a word I walked closer to the door to see that someone tried with force to open it with success. „Oh my...“, opening the door, I saw the whole apartment being messed up. I definitely did not leave it like that. „Let‘s call the police“, he said and pulled me back, holding my trembling figure in his arms as he dialed the number. 

 

Only 20 minutes later, police officers were inspecting the whole apartment while I stood there with Yoongi trying to calm me down. Even Lina and Namjoon came. „It will be alright love“, she said and caressed my hair. How could that be? What have I done? „Miss? We have a few questions“, I nodded to the officer and took in a deep breath. „Do you have any idea who it could be?“, „No“, I mumbled and looked down. „Who else has a key to your apartment?“, „Well, Lina and my mother. My mother is in therapy though and Lina definitely has nothing to do with it“, „I see. During the last few days, did something unusual happen in your surroundings?“, he asked and just then I got reminded of Unknown. Fishing my smartphone out of my bag, I showed him all the messages. Namjoon and Yoongi heard about it the first time and looked at Lina who seemed all cool. The police officer made a few notes and nodded. „Okay. We will check it all. For that we might need your smartphone. We will contact you. About the apartment, we can‘t let you stay here tonight. We need to call the Criminal Investigation Department to save as much traces as possible“, bidding his goodbye I felt how tears fell from my eyes. It all felt like a dream- a really bad one though. I wanted to wake up so bad but reality was reality. „You can sleep over at our place“, Yoongi mentioned. Lina and Namjoon‘s place was not done yet and Lina‘s apartment was a whole mess. „It would be the safest“, Namjoon added and we left soon after.

 

After we reached the guys apartment together with Yoongi, we tried to be as quiet as we could so no one would wake up. I got clothes to change into as well and a blanket to cover me up. Being on the couch, alone, my eyes were focused on the ceiling. My mind was too occupied to find sleep. Yoongi was already in his room, probably asleep. I could hear some of the guys snoring and it somehow was calming me showing me I really was not alone. Hearing a door open up, I quickly shifted and layed down, pretending to be asleep. Footsteps came closer, stopping right in front of me. The blanket got pulled higher, up my shoulder before the person walked towards the kitchen. I peeked through one eye, seeing Jungkook getting himself a water bottle. „Also wanna drink something?“, blinking my eyes open, I realized I had no chance and as if he could read my mind he added, „You know? People who are asleep have a steady breath. You should work on your technique“. „So you noticed?“, „Obviously“, he mumbled huskily and came closer to hand me a glass of water. „I heard from Yoongi what happened. Are you alright?“, giving him some space, I sat up and gestured from him to sit down as I held onto the glass. „Kind of. It is pretty shocking Jungkook“, taking a sip, I noticed that my throat seemed really dry and as my eyes caught a hold of what Jungkook wore, my throat was really dry. He was only wearing his boxers revealing his surprisingly well toned upper body. Thank god it was dark and he couldn‘t see my cheeks which got more red within seconds. „Understandable. If you feel the need to talk, I am here. I might not be the best to give you tips and such, but I got told I am a good listener“, I watched the water inside the glass move as he sat down next to me. So I just kept repeating 22 years in my head in hope for me to cool down. Did he expect me now to talk about it? Jungkook just sat there in silence with me, drinking his water. Or would he again spend this night with me? „What are you thinking?“, I looked at him having forgotten that he was still there. „I wasn‘t really-„, my mind was indeed empty and couldn‘t come up with an excuse which Jungkook noticed and switched the topic. If it was a better topic, who knows. „So how come you are still single in your age? Aren‘t the most of people with 25 engaged and stuff?“, „Most of my friends are indeed at least in relationships. I am the left over person being single. I just felt like being single“, I said but my words were only half true. „Felt like it?“, he questioned as he looked into my eyes and tried to read through the lines. He was biting his lower lip in concentration. „I guess I‘ve put my expectations too high. Don‘t know. Just a week ago my life looked different, remember? There just was no person to pull me off my feet“, shrugging with my shoulders I turned to him with a cheeky grin. „What about you Mister? Single?“, Jungkook‘s eyes widened and leaned a bit closer so he could whisper. „I am young and still have a few years left“, rolling my eyes I groaned a bit annoyed. „And? What is the matter?“, I started to dig a bit more, wanting answers. „There is no matter. Just no girl in sight. Maybe one but she seems not to notice me or more like seems not to see me as a potential lover“.

 

Through all this time that we talked, we both were so caught up that none of us noticed that we were watched. Hoseok listened silently, his hands formed to wrists. He definitely didn‘t like to see us two growing closer. 

 

„For real? Why?“, I felt sad for Jungkook after he revealed some of his feelings. „If I would know the reason, do you really think I‘d stand there doing nothing?“, he raised his right eyebrow, giving off something playful. „I don‘t know..“, I mumbled and took in a deep breath. „How about you help me figuring out what the problem might be?“, that question caught me off guard and caused me to open my eyes wider. „Go out with me“, he added, his tone fell down to a serious one, low and had a touch of something huskily. I opened my mouth to respond but no tone came out leaving me with no other option then to seal my lips. „I guess no answer means yes“, his face lightened up, yet he showed a smirk. „What? No!“, I protested loudly and no minute later, one of the boys shuffled into the living room. „What is wrong?“, it was Jin that I woke up. „I am sorry Jin. Just sleep“, as sleepy as he was he just nodded and left again. 

 

—————

 

The next afternoon I was allowed back in my apartment after the visit at the police station. Back in my apartment I didn‘t feel as safe as before. The thought of that intruder coming back was omnipresent. Letting myself fall onto the couch, I looked at my TV. I had no strength to clean up just yet. I was still in the process of making up my mind if I should move to a different apartment. Because the thought of spending the night here alone was creeping me out more then I thought it would. Receiving a message from Jungkook somehow was calming- having someone to talk to was maybe a good distraction.

 

/Kook: Hey. You know, I was serious about my offer last night. Go out with me./

/Me: Never said I didn‘t believe in your words. But we can‘t go on a date.. or more like, giving you a false hope/

/Kook: Because of our ? Please. Plus, who talked about a date? I asked you to go out with me to figure out what might be wrong with me/

/Kook: Plus you would have some distraction/

/Me: Fine. Tell me when and where and we‘ll go/

/Kook: Will do so later ;) /

 

I never thought Jungkook would push it like that. But deep down inside, I liked the idea without even noticing it.