friends?

A Silent Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nayeon thought this would be her day. She woke up feeling energized because of the sun’s early rise and its rays shining through the thin white curtains. Not to mention, the mark on her wrist from yesterday remained and reminded her of the euphoria she felt in the moment when she punched her bully Taegun. For the longest time, she bottled up her feelings and tried her hardest to not pay them any attention.

 

It’s silly to think some stranger’s mark of kindness inspired Nayeon to stand up for herself.

 

“Nayeon, wake up! You’re gonna be late-”

 

The latter rolled her eyes and gathered her strength to sit up, “Yes, Sunmi unnie… I’m coming.”

 

Sunmi is Nayeon’s older sister who was left with their parents’ responsibility of raising the younger girl. To say the girl was the best older sister and substitute parent a girl could ever ask for was a stretch for Nayeon, but needless to say, she had no complaints. Sunmi did everything she could to raise Nayeon, but being only four years older, she had her limits as well.

 

As Nayeon left her room, her shoulders sunk at the sight of her sister rushing to set the table again for breakfast. Usually, Nayeon lived alone for the past two years since their parents abandoned them… or as she prefers to believe, disappeared in an accident.

 

To others, it’s cruel to think that Nayeon wishes her own parents were involved in an accident… but it’s better than thinking her parents left intentionally, isn’t it?

 

When summer rolls around, Sunmi comes back from Seoul to do her duty -- take care of Nayeon while she’s free from work in the metropolitan city. To Sunmi, living in Jeju Island for three months is like vacation… with her younger sister who has never been good at expressing her emotions and thus, has always been detached emotionally.

 

Sunmi beamed at the sight of Nayeon, “I cooked pancakes today. Do you want me to bike you to school--”

 

“It’s alright.”

 

Those two words caused a shift in Sunmi’s expression and the latter quickly nodded to hide her sudden disappointment, “Ah, right… you’re not a kid anymore.”

 

Nayeon is 16. Young, but trying to appear mature enough. Typical teen years.

 

She sat down and awkwardly looked at Sunmi who gleefully clasped her hands together and closed her eyes for a silent prayer.

 

For Nayeon, the silence was awkward. Sitting in silence even for a few seconds felt burdensome and strange. Ironically, if Nayeon had a choice, she wouldn’t speak a word in class; her silence intimidates the other kids and that’s how she became an outcast. However, when she does decide to speak, her words drop like atomic bombs.

 

Socially awkward. That’s how a teacher would describe her. She was never one to fit in, but sometimes, Nayeon itches to voice out her opinion. Only sometimes, when something really bothers her.  

 

“Amen. Let’s eat!”




Sometimes the first minutes of a day can foreshadow how well the rest of the day will be.

 

In Nayeon’s case, her morning turned out to be the only good part of her day.

 

“Late. You’ll be cleaning the bathroom again after dismissal.” The homeroom teacher shook her head in disappointment.

 

Nayeon wasn’t surprised, but a part of her wanted to explain that she chose to be a good sister rather than a good student. She tried to be polite and ended up letting Sunmi talk about her coworker who irritates her “like crazy” for fifteen minutes after she ate her breakfast. I mean, when else could she let her sister vent before she had to return to Seoul?

 

“Sorry… ma’am.” Nayeon panted. I should’ve accepted unnie’s offer instead of letting my pride get ahead of me.

 

“Anyway, take your seat. We have a transfer who’s been waiting outside for awhile now… Come in!” Ms. Kim ushered towards the door. Nayeon took her seat and as she anticipated the new girl, the boys exchanged looks of excitement.

 

As the girl came in, Nayeon’s jaw slightly went ajar


It’s her. That girl at the beach.

 

The girl shyly smiled, her hands hidden behind her back. Soon enough she revealed them carrying a notebook and a pen. As she began to write, the class started to whisper among themselves in the question of her actions. Nayeon merely cocked an eyebrow and looked on in amusement. Flashbacks of the girl writing on her wrist were like puzzle pieces in her mind. Perhaps the girl writes for a reason, Nayeon thought.

 

“안녕하세요, 미나입니다. (Hello, I’m Mina.)”

 

“What the heck… is she playing games?” Someone whispered a little too loudly for even the teacher to hear. Nayeon felt a drop in her stomach as she noticed the shift in Mina’s expression which was noticeably brighter before.

 

Mina flipped to the next page and began to write in determination.

 

“I can hear, but I can’t speak.”

 

Nayeon’s lips twitched as she held back a smile that fought to exist on her lips. Another one of my kind, I see.

 

“Is she trying to fool us… if you can’t speak you shouldn’t be able to hear either.” Another girl scoffed, kicking her chair back. Ms. Kim rolled her eyes, “Jung-ah, one more word and you’ll be cleaning with Nayeon.”

 

Jung-ah shut and bowed her head with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter