ch. 1

Best Friends

Dahyun and Chaeyoung were THE dynamic duo of JYP High School. They’ve been friends for as long they can remember. It all started in kindergarten where Dahyun offered Chaeyoung some apple juice because Chae was all alone in the corner. They did almost everything together, hell, they even went to church together. They were the dynamic duo, nothing could break them apart, at least thats what Dahyun thought until she realized that she fell in love with her best friend. She found out around high school, freshman year, when she started to think of Chaeyoung in, let’s say, special ways. They’re in their junior year now. People would always make jokes about the two dating, they both were gay so it could work. Dahyun was terrified at the horrible outcomes that could happen if she ever confessed, she didn’t dare try to ruin what her and Chaeyoung had so she just kept quiet most of the time. She never thought of actually confessing until one day...

 

Dahyun and her friend Tzuyu were at the canteen, eating lunch.

 

“Hey Dahyun, do you ever plan on confessing to Chae?”

 

“Hm? Probably not, I don’t wanna ruin our friendship so I’d like to gladly see myself out.” 

 

“Come on, you gotta do it someday.” Tzuyu paused for a bit to see a familiar figure walking towards them. “Oh look, speaking of the devil.”

 

Chaeyoung approaches the table with the biggest smile, holding a piece of paper in one hand and her lunchbox in another. 

 

“Guys guess what?”

 

“What’s up Chae?” Tzuyu said.

 

“I aced my calculus test! A whole 95%! BEST SCORE IN THE CLASS!” the shorter girl exclaimed, waving her paper in their faces.

 

“Wow! Good job Chae! See, all those nights you stayed up studying your off really paid off.” 

 

“It really did Tzuyu, anyways, I was planning a sleepover since we haven’t had one in a while, since like, freshman year. My house over the weekend, my parents won’t be home so we have the entire house to ourselves, how does that sound?” 

 

“Actually, this weekend my parents and I wanted to have some family bonding time since my family all have free schedules. Maybe next time?”

 

“Aw man, that , anyways what about you Dahyun? And is everything alright? You’ve been quiet the entire time.” 

 

“Oh, everything’s fine Chae, and I think I should be able to make it.”

 

“Well, at least that’s one person, so my house, Friday, 7 pm. Got it?”

 

“Got it Chae.”

 

“Well anyways, I’ll catch you all later, I got a class to go to!”

 

Chaeyoung got up from her chair and ran off. Dahyun looked back at Tzuyu, who was looking at her with the widest grin on her face.

 

“Why are you looking at me like that Tzu?”

 

“This is your chance!”

 

“Chance for?”

“Your chance to confess with Chae!” 

 

“Seriously Tzu? Come on, you’ve got to be kidding.”

 

“I’m not Dahyun, it’s about time you confess.”

 

“Oh my lord Tzu, fine, I’ll do it. Just stop bugging me about it.” 

 

“You better do it, or else…”

 

“Or else what?”

“You don’t know what I can do to you Dahyunnie, but don’t worry, I promise you, you won’t regret it!”

 

“You know i hate you right Tzuyu?”

“Don’t you mean you love me?”

 

“Ugh same thing.”

 

~a few days later~

 

Dahyun’s at Chaeyoung’s doorstep, backpack on her bag packed with clothes and snacks. She wasn’t sure if she was going to go through with confessing to Chaeyoung, but at the back of her mind she had hope that Chaeyoung wouldn’t be too harsh on her and would be pretty understanding. Dahyun let out a deep sigh as she knocked onto Chaeyoung’s door. “I’ll be there in a minute!” Chaeyoung exclaims from beyond the door. About 5 minutes later Chaeyoung steps out in a nice black tank top and basketball shorts, her short hair put in a little ponytail. She greets Dahyun with the biggest -eating grin Dahyun has ever seen. “Hey Dubu, ready to have the night of your life?” Chaeyoung doesn’t even give time for Dahyun to answer, grabbing her by the shirt and yanking her into the house.

 

Dahyun and Chaeyoung really didn’t do much, all they really did was play video games, do a few prank calls on their friends, and Chaeyoung cooked herself and Dahyun some ramen, which, for how plain a meal of ramen could be, actually tasted amazing. It was around 2 AM and the duo were on the couch cuddling next to each other wrapped in a blanket, watching some sort of drama. Both of them roasting the characters because of how stupid the characters decisions and laughing with each other whenever a cheesy love scene came on. In all honesty, it was the night of her life, she really loved all this quality time with Chaeyoung even though they spend time at each others house every other day. This night felt special, it really did. She swore Chaeyoung fell asleep, she had her head rested onto Dahyun’s chest and it seemed like her eyes were closed. She was about to fall asleep until she heard a small voice.

 

“Hey Dahyun.” 

 

“Yes Chae?”

 

Chaeyoung got up, rubbed her eyes and then went back to resting her head on Dahyun, except on her shoulder this time and Dahyun could feel Chaeyoung’s hand holding onto hers. 

 

“Do you like anyone?”

 

“Where’s this question coming from?” 

 

“Do you?”

 

“Why are you asking?”

 

“I’m curious, and come on Dahyun, we’ve known each other for so long but you won’t tell me who your crush is? You can trust me, you know that right?”

 

“Yeah but…”

 

“But what?”

 

“Well…”

 

“Oh my gosh Dahyunnie just answer the question!”

 

silence. It was quiet for a little bit, until Dahyun started to sing a little song, a cute song that she learned while trying to learn English with Chaeyoung. 

 

“This is something like a movie, and I don’t know how it ends girl. But I fell in love with my best friend.” she sung in a soft voice. She wasn’t looking at Chaeyoung, but rather, she was just looking forward towards the TV in front of them, still playing the drama they were watching. She didn’t want to look at Chaeyoung. She was already embarrassed enough. Dahyun felt that if she looked at her best friend she would just die from embarassment.

 

“Unnie, the person you like… it’s me? Why have you never told me this?” Chaeyoung said in a soft voice. 

 

“Yeah, it’s just I never told you because we were best friends and I was worried that if I ever told you that our friendship would be ruined and-“

 

“Dahyun.”

 

Dahyun kept on rambling on about the ten million reasons why she wouldn’t tell Chaeyoung about her crush, ignoring the fact that Chaeyoung was calling her name, her eyes glued on the TV due to the shame of what just confessed.

 

“I’m so sorry Chae, I hope that you could forget what just happened tonight. I’m so so so sorry Chae please forgive me.“

 

“Dahyun, look at me.”

 

“I’m so sorry Chae, please please I beg of you-“

 

Dahyun was cut off by a pair of lips pressing against her own. Chaeyoung’s lips. This feeling of warmth and closeness with anyone was new to Dahyun, but she decided to just go with it. She kissed back, a passionate kiss. While they were kissing, Chaeyoung decided that it would be a good idea to push Dahyun into a lying position on the couch, so she did. They kissed for a few minutes only for Chaeyoung to pull back. 

 

“There’s no need to be apologizing, because I like you too.”

 

Even more silence. The two stared at each other for a minute or two, then Dahyun decided to break the silence. 

 

“Chae, since when have you, ya know, liked me?”

 

“Since I first figured out I wasn’t straight. My first crush on a girl was you, and will always be you.”

 

“And about the kiss?”

 

“What about it? Was this your first?”

 

Dahyun nodded, “And I’m assuming that this was your first too?”

 

“I kept myself reserved for you ya know.” 

 

The girls started to giggle. The girls sat back up and wrapped themselves back into the blanket and started to cuddle again, Chaeyoung resting her head once again onto Dahyun’s shoulder while hugging her arm, and Dahyun resting her head on Chae’s head. 

 

“So, what now unnie?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“What are we? Are we dating or what?”

“I mean, do you want to?”

 

“I guess, dating my best friend isn’t all too bad? What do you say Dubu?”

 

“I mean, what can go wrong? Let’s do it!” 

 

“Gosh I thought this situation would happen in a more romantic and less casual way.”

 

“You thought of this exact situation before?”

 

“Why the actual hell do you think I planned this sleepover? And why do you think Tzuyu’s parents suddenly wanted family bonding time even though she never said anything about it before?” Chaeyoung started laughing.

 

“Wait, so you’re saying that this was all a scheme you and Tzuyu made up just to get us together?” Chaeyoung nodded. “Oh Lord Almighty I’m going to hurt you both.” 

 

“I’d like to see you try,” the expression of Chaeyoung’s similar to that of an animal eyeing it’s prey. And in a split second Chaeyoung decided to push Dahyun back onto the couch and capture her lips with a passionate kiss, which then led into a makeout session, which led into both girls giving into their hormones and the rest is history.  

 

~few months later~

 

Some few months passed by and honestly even if they were dating it was just, a lot, lot more kissing. They still did the usual thing that they did as best friends. Held hands, shared lunches, drinks, homework. The two were unstoppable, just as they were before. Nothing really changed, they were just two best friends. 

 

who decided to fall in love with each other but ya know, still best friends.