Smoke and Lights

Admirer

Every Friday night I find myself here. It’s one of the most infamous clubs in Hongdae, NB2. The music is subpar at best and the crowd ranges from dancers, Korean boys looking for their next foreign pray, and sloppy Americans mostly. As soon as I walked up to the door I give Joon, the bouncer, our signature greeting. He was a tall and slender Busan boy who had made his way up to Seoul. His skin was slightly tanned and his shaved black head made him look like he was perepetually ready for his military service. His features were plain but his sharp jawbone made him seem modelesque.  After a quick fist bump, he stamps my hand and I descend the stairs waiting for the clouds of cigarette smoke and green lights to engulf me. I take the free drink ticket I received as an admission perk and the second one Joon slid into my hand straight to the bar. The night is the same as any other Friday night. Top 40 hip hop tracks are blasting through the sound system and I bob my head as I get into the groove of the random Chris brown track playing. The bartender slides over two vodka cranberries to me and I chug them fast hoping to speed up the relaxation. Moving to Korea as a foreign exchange student wasn’t all I had hoped it would be. Being the token black girl was getting old. On top of not knowing if people wanted to get to know me or post Instagram pictures with a black girl, the neuroscience program at Yonsei was kicking my . It was a fight to stay at the top of my class while the instructors spoke only Korean. I had been learning the language since my preteens, but it was a challenge being in an accelerated program at a university nonetheless.

Normally, I come here alone just to dance and clear my mind. But tonight my one true friend in Korea, Jerri came out with me. Jerri was a firey character. Sometimes I wondered how so much personality was packed into such a small frame. I easily towered a good five foot one frame by five inches. She wore her hair in a short pixie cut and dyed honey brown. She was build like a lot of other Korean girls, slim and tiny. But the piercing on her eyebrow and dramatic makeup looks made her stand out. However, I guess her physical apperance matched well with the fact that she was a one-of-a-kind industrial design major. 

 

“Aren’t you hot?,” She screamed over the music.

 

I looked down out my outfit. I wore black tapered sweatpants, a black long sleeve graphic t-shirt, and airmax’s. My curly hair was stacked on top of my head in a bun and my make up was minimal—black winged eyeliner and highlighter. I came here to dance, not to catch a man like Jerri. However, I had to admit it growing hotter and hotter in the cramped space.

 

“Nah, I’m good..,” I shrugged as I pulled the collar of my shirt away from my skin trying to allow some air to travel underneath.

“, I can see the sweat forming on your forehead. Take the long sleeve off and I’ll go check it with my jacket.” Jerri held her hand out waiting to collect my shirt and I hesitated. Finally, I decided against my better judgement and lifted my shirt up over my head exposing the black bandeau top underneath.

 

“Now you look ready for a club,” she chuckled out. I rolled my eyes at her as I heard a Korean boy next to me stage whisper “joa joa” to his friend as he nudged him and nodded in my direction. That was exactly why I dressed the way I did when coming to NB2. I came to destress, not have to worry about random guys grabbing me by the waist. Unlike many Korean girls, I was much curvier and my brown skin was “exotic” here. Having so much of both exposed would be an interesting challenge. I rolled my eyes at the boys as I downed the last of my drink before they could make muster up the courage to approach me.

 

Shuffling my way through the crowd to the area near the bag check where the dancers hang out, I saw Jerri already slow grinding with a guy. I gave her a wink as I chuckled to myself. I may not have come to catch a man, but I wasn’t going to shame my friend for having her fun. I lightly started moving my body to hit the beats as I watched the guys who were really here to dance. They were great. Their bodies expressing their own interpretations of the hard hip hop beats. Some of them eyed me curiously waiting to see what I could bring to the crowd. The DJ’s mix suddenly changed to Tory Lanez’s Controlla.

 

Without even thinking, I let the island feel of the sound move my body for me. Hitting every beat, I let out my best freestyle incorporating dancehall and reggae moves to fit the feel of the song. I could feel eyes on me and hear the excited chants coming from the mouths of the other dancers. A smile crept over my face not because of their validation but because I truly loved feeling the energy of dance. Out of breath and sweating, I was thankful when the DJ shifted pace with Chris Brown’s “Who’s Gonna.” My sharp movements transformed to skillful slides and body rolls to the sensual beat of the song. And with my movements the looks from fellow club goers transformed from hype to cocked eyebrows as they guys gawked at my brown skin glistened under the lights and syncing with the music. Completely entranced I lifted my hands to run through the base of my bun as I popped my hips out to each side with the beat drops.

 

In the middle of executing my next move I felt a hand on my lower back. Prepared to give someone a “don’t play with me” look, I realized it was Jerri.

 

“I’m going to head out,” she said then quickly motioned to the guy standing a few inches away from her.

“Are you sure?,” I asked just to make sure she was positive she wanted to leave with that guy.

“Yeah, I’m good. Promise.” She touched my arm as I looked into her eyes judging her expression.

“Okay, call me if anything and share your location with me!” I playfully but sternly shouted to make sure she was going to listen to me.

"Arraso omma..,” she laughed at my over protectiveness and I patted her like a real Korean mom in response. Jerri handed me the wrist band needed to collect the rest of my things from coat check when I was ready to leave.

As she dissappeaered in the crowd I continued my freestyle letting the music take over me. A few moments later I started to feel extremely light headed and the music that I was dominating seemed to be guiding my body without my will. I realized that I hadn’t eaten anything that day besides a roll of kipbam from a food stand. The alcohol was doing a number on a light weight like myself. Stumbling over to the coat check, I tripped over my own feet and practically crashed into the little window opening of the coat check.

I was thankful the dim lighting would hide my red blush. Finally, regaining my balance, I looked up at the guy waiting to collect my numbered wrist band. My light brown eyes locked onto his piercing black yet playful eyes.

I was speechless as I started at him trying to clear the thoughts swimming around in my head. He smirked revealing deep dimples—small indents in his flawless skin. I felt my chest tighten as I begged myself to say anything.

 

I shoved my hand through the window pushing the wrist band towards him.

 

“Tery!” I shouted my name a little louder than needed. He looked at me for another second as I stood there holding the wrist band towards him. He chuckled before grabbing it then turning slightly to grab the bag containing my shirt. I noticed that the hair tucked under his cap was dyed platinum blond. Upon further observation, It looked good on him. His broad shoulders seemed to stretch against the fabric of his tshirt. He was defientely built. Shaking my head I tried to will myself to stop ogling the super good looking bag check guy. He looked at the numbers on both the bag and wrist band then shook head in indicating “no.”

 

I scrunched my eyebrows together in confusion.

 

“Tery isn’t the name on the bag.” His voice was smooth and alluring. I swallowed hard as I let my hands fall into my hands trying to calm my mine. What name could be on the bag? What was my friend’s ing name again?!

 

I looked up at him again as I shook my head.

“I'm sorry. I’m really drunk just give me a second. Sorry.” I bit my bottom lip as I searched every corner of my brain for my friend’s name. He leaned his chin on his palm as he watched me intently. A smirk still plastered across his face.

 

“Jerri!” I yelled out at him with a smile as I finally got my brain to cooperate.

“Correct,” he stated as he handed the bag over to me shaking his head playfully at me.

 

As I pulled my shirt out of the bag I heard him say “Terry it looks like you’re in need of a daeli.”

It was an awful play on words since my name Tery sounds like Daeli, or substitute driver when said with a Korean accent.

I gave a dry laugh as I handed him back the plastic bag. Even with the dark lighting I could see the red mark of embarrassment spread across his cheeks. As I slipped my shirt back over my head and began to walk away, I felt a hand on my wrist keeping my at the window.

 

“Wait, seriously I don’t think you’re okay to go home alone. I get off in a few minutes…I know it might seem weird but I can take you home.” His face was stern but concerned.

 

“uhh… no. I’m good.” Although he was one of the most attractive guys I had seen while in Korea there was no way I’d let him take me home. I knew that “home” would turn into a love motel faster than I knew it. As I began walking away my right leg decided that it was time for my bones to deteriorate and I almost became very friendly with the floor until Joon’s arms caught me. The coat check boy hoped over the counter and was by our side in no time.

 

“See, you do need a ride home.” I looked at his sharp yet childlike eyes again and slowly trailed my gaze down to his plump lips. I my own as I thought about how kissable his looked. It was turning out that I might be the one he needed to look out for.

 

“Oh..yeah Tery, you should let Jooheon give you a ride. It’s safer.” Joon said reassuring me that it wouldn’t be that dangerous to get into this strangers car. Jooheon….his name was Jooheon.

 

It was late and I didn’t want to deal with ant talkative and touchy ahjussies on the train. I must have really been drunk because before I realized it I was being guided to passenger side of a sleek black car.

 

 

 

**This story is kind of based on a night I had at NB2 while in Korea lol. So  it's kind of a story time mixed with a fictional fanfic. As always, this was written on impulse. I have not thought out this story and will continue to write and create as I go along. So, if you want to come along for the ride, please subsrcibe and comment. It would be very much appreciated**