Just a Feeling [2/2]

Pebbles
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

He resists the urge to hold the merman’s hand that is brushing against his thigh. He knows Kihyun doesn’t realize what he’s doing. Hyungwon has to have noticed it—their casual skin-ship. Changkyun chews on his lip in frustration and turns his attention back to the one speaking.

 

“So what are your intentions with my brother?” Minhyuk asks matter-of-factly, meeting Changkyun’s eyes with his own. The seriousness in his expression causes the boy to tense.

 

Kihyun breaks the deafening silence with musical laughter, eyes crinkling into crescents with such a wide smile. “Minhyuk,” he practically squeals. “That’s such a weird question!”

 

The red-haired merman smiles unapologetically and shrugs. “Is it wrong to know why a human is so keen on hanging around my precious little brother?”

 

Changkyun looks to Kihyun for further help, but he just raises his eyebrows—a silent “he has a point.” He then looks at Hyungwon, who also appears to be waiting for his answer. His focus returns to Minhyuk before he mumbles, “I enjoy spending time with Kihyun. He makes the ocean less of a scary place.”

 

All three boys’ attention turns toward Kihyun, whose hair is just about one shade away from a beaming white. It is a striking contrast to the red of his face. Kihyun stares blankly at Changkyun.

 

“So, Minhyuk,” Hyungwon says. “Do all merpeople have colorful hair?”

 

Changkyun rolls his eyes. His friend was always into fashion and beauty, constantly dying his hair a new color when the trend changed. It was black with a blonde fringe this time. He thinks the two-toned hairstyle is going to become huge. Changkyun thinks it doesn’t matter.

 

The red-haired merman laughs. “There aren’t many in this region, so I’m not quite sure. I’ve seen many silver and blue-haired merpeople in faraway places, though.” His expression hardens the slightest bit. “Most sirens have white or black hair. I’m pretty sure it’s because of their drained of color.”

 

“Except for their tails,” Kihyun adds. “Their tails are really vibrant.”

 

“A tactic for luring,” Minhyuk grumbles, shaking his head.

 

Hyungwon nods in fascination. He seems to be taking this much better than Changkyun thought he would. “So when someone becomes a siren, their hair changes to white or black?”

 

Kihyun shrugs, “Hakyeon’s hair was once a frosty purple.”

 

Changkyun notices the older merman tense at the mention of this person’s name. He watches as Minhyuk glares at the younger merman, silently begging him to drop the topic. Kihyun doesn’t seem to notice as he continues, “We think he’s now the purple-tailed siren.”

 

“N?” Changkyun asks, recalling the raven-haired siren with a deep purple tail. “Was his tail also always that purple?”

 

Kihyun nods, but Minhyuk is the one to speak up this time. “It was definitely purple but lighter. And the fin wasn’t as sharp. The curse transforms someone into a captivating beauty. Even if you are already beautiful to begin with, the curse will enhance your features even more. It’s to lure poor souls in, I guess.”

 

Changkyun sighs, trying to understand what the older merman means by that. “I thought you had to have some evil in you to get cursed,” he ponders aloud.

 

The red-haired merman shakes his head softly, eyes unfocused as if in another world. “Sadness and vulnerability are evil. Someone can have those but not be evil themself and still get cursed. As long as there’s something the sirens can latch onto, you’re pretty much gone.”

 

“Even if you’ve lived a happy life? If you have just one insecurity, you can be cursed?” Changkyun asks.

 

“It can even be something long forgotten that happened in your childhood. As long as your heart hasn’t let go, that vulnerability will stay with you for the rest of your life,” Minhyuk explains, practically whispering. His eyes were still spacey, and Chan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter