END

HOMERUN
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

What a perfect day. Not hot nor chilly, not windy nor still. A very perfect day for the much awaited Season Finals of South Korea's Baseball Cup. 21 teams fought all year long to be part of their respective conferences' TOP 8. From 8 teams to 4 down to 2 teams who fought sweat, blood and tears to be their own conference's champion and would have the chance to win the season's Commissioner's Trophy.

 

It's finally the day that every district and conference had been waiting for, the Finals. 

 

 

 

"We can do this! Remember why we're here!" screamed the captain of the team who's inside the circle, smacking the chests of every male player and tapping the shoulders of every female player. "Remember those injuries and wounds we've battled all year long. Remember that this is not only our team's reputation but we're bringing our district and conference's pride and glory!" and was responded by a scream.

 

 

The global campaign of equal rights and benefits of women in sports decades ago finally paid of for over a decade now. Sports now has mixed categories in which both male and female could co-exist in one team and one sport. A century and decades ago, Baseball was meant only for male and Softball for women, now, Baseball is both for men and women athletes.

 

 

 

After a quick mental condition and prayer, the players grab their mitts and baseball caps as they all lined up in line with the door. When they finally got the signal, all of them jog towards the exit and are welcome by the screams, cheers and loud bangs of the fans from both teams that are waiting for the match of the year.

 

 

 

Munhak Baseball Stadium is once again a witness of a match that has been going on for the past 4 straight years. It's a never ending battle between Kia Tigers and Samsung Lions who now had a record of 2 against 1 in favor of Kia Tigers.

 

It's not only the rivalry of the teams that is making it very exciting to wait and watch, it is also because the pitchers of the respective teams were the biggest reason why their teams in high school and college fought a hard and long battle for 9 straight years.

 

It continued until their Professional career making it now their 13th match up with a record of 6 against 6.

 

 

 

Lee Chaerin, the number 1 draft pick of her batch, a rookie of the year and the first pitcher of Samsung Lions right after she got scouted. This season, Chaerin is averaging 2.1 homeruns per game, 1.3 stolen bases, 3.5 at bat and 5.6 RBI and pitching an average of 98 meters per hour per game. Those numbers are making her one of the best all around pitcher in the history of her baseball team franchise.

 

On the other team, Kia Tigers also owned the best pitcher of the league, Sandara Park, the number 1 draft pick of her batch, a rookie of the year, very petite and had a very small built but her scores are the opposite of her exterior. This season, Dara is averaging 4.2 homeruns per game, 2.1 stolen bases, 5.9 at bat and 9.2 RBI and pitching an average of 96 meters per hour per game. This season was indeed the best season she ever had in her Pro career despite of stumbling into an injury earlier this season.

 

 

 

This year, both pitchers are determined to win because a rumor had been going around that this would be the last year of Sandara pitching for Kia Tigers. No one knows why and KT never confirms anything but sports analysts and tabloids are suspecting that it might be because of Sandara's shoulder cap dislocation earlier that season which caused a major set backs for the franchise's record as she had to be out for 12 games in a row.

 

If the rumors are indeed correct, Chaerin needs to win this, their team needs to win this to tie the record and a winner for this over a decade battle will be declared.

 

 

 

Once the starters of each team are finally called, the toss coin happened. Tigers won and takes the offense first and Lions to hold them off. The coach sent Sandara straight to bullpen to warm up alongside with 8 relief pitchers and catchers.

 

While heading towards the bullpen, the crowd went almost quiet as the mitt of the catcher of the opponent's team bangs loudly. Sandara need not to look, she knows it's from Chaerin's pitches.

 

 

 

"Jesus, that is loud." Seungri says, the starting catcher who's been Sandara's catcher for 4 years. Number 3 draft pick of his batch. One the country's best catchers who won the Best Catcher Award for 3 years.

 

"I expect nothing less than that." Sandara says causing the man to chuckle.

 

"Competitive, I see."

 

"Unnie, whatever happens, we're here." Lisa says, the 2nd best pitcher of the franchise, a super rookie who somehow managed to carry the team when Sandara had a 12 game rehab.

 

Sandara smiles while Seungri went to the catcher's position. "I know. I'll take it easy."

 

Lisa snort. "You? Taking it easy while playing against her? I doubt it."

 

The older had to laugh, removed her mitt before squeezing the shoulder of the younger one. "Let's just have fun." she says and Lisa knows what it is making her sigh.

 

 

 

The game started. First inning of Lions ended with 1 player in before successfully getting a triple play defense. 15 pitches, 7 strike outs, 6 foul balls and 1 infield hit that results to a triple play game. Sandara and Seungri had a little discussion on the mound with the mitts covering their mouths before Seungri positioned for the warm up.

 

Sandara does simple pitches going 56-58 meters per hour before their defense inning starts. With Chaerin's RBI, Sandara knows she's going to be the lead off hitter of the game which made her smirk.

 

Sandara is just slowly tossing her rosin bag without minding the loud wooping sound coming from Chaerin's warm up swings. She let the bag falls directly onto the ground, the hand that's holding the ball placed behind her with eyes looking at Seungri's hand signals.

 

A head shake, a change of sign. Another shake, a change of sign before Sandara positions. Ball inside the hollow section of the mitt with her fingers holding the ball. A bend, a leg raise and a forceful throw resulting to a 99 mph fast ball and a loud bang in Seungri's mitt.

 

 

 

"Strike one!" the umpire says as Chaerin stares at the ball in Seungri's mitt before he throws it back to Sandara.

 

"A fast ball this time huh?" she thought.

 

Sandara positions again after agreeing to Seungri. She throws another fast ball which drops rather quickly, Chaerin knew she's going to give her another fast ball but she did not expect the sudden forkball. Luckily she was able to hit a part of the ball resulting to a foul ball.

 

"Not bad." Sandara whispers with a smirk while adjusting her cap and walking back to the mound after catching the ball from Seungri while Chaerin adjusts her hitter helmet with brows furrowed.

 

"What are you going to do next?" Chaerin thought as she positions.

 

Chaerin furrows her brows when Sandara changes her pitching position, making everyone except her teammates furrowed their eyebrows. Sandara suddenly throws a very fast slider which made Chaerin takes a step back because the ball was heading so near her to waist line before it takes a curve directly to Seungri's mitt. A 97 mph slider.

 

"Strike two!"

 

The crowd was stunned before cheers erupted the place. Sandara had been practicing that pitch for weeks and was able to perfect it before the conference quarter finals but never dared to throw it until earlier.

 

 

Sandara catches the ball thrown by Seungri while smirking at the cursing Chaerin. She adjusts her cap once again while looking at Seungri's hand signals.

 

The smirk on Sandara's face before she positions wasn't left unnoticed by the hitter. "What is it this time?" she says to herself.

 

Chaerin saw the familiar fast ball pitching form when Sandara threw the ball however, she should've known that it's a trap because the umpire screams "Strike three! Strike out!" and finds herself swinging the bat of what she thought was a fast ball but turns out to be the nastiest changeup she had ever batted. 71 mph yet she was strike out.

 

Chaerin gritted her teeth as she goes back to their dugout. She deposits her bat and helmet before removing her gloves, knee, ankle and elbow protectors. "She outsmarted me there. ." jaws clenching.

 

"That's the smartest pitcher in the country right there but no worries unnie, you'll surely get her in the next innings." Jennie says as she grabs her bat and helmet after wearing her gloves, she's the 3rd hitter this inning.

 

Chaerin could only hum while mentally noting down the throws her rival did. "Fast ball, Fork ball, Slider and Changeup." rewinding the movements in her mind in a slow motion. The scariest thing about Chaerin is her photographic memory which mainly became the reason why she would always outsmart their opponents but not towards Sandara Park, the unpredictable pitcher and batter of the organization.

 

"Take it easy, Chae. It's just the 1st inning and get your glove, the inning just ended." Jiyong says while grabbing his catcher chest pad and helmet.

 

Chaerin stares at the score board, 1-0, giving the inning to the KT. Sandara strikes out all 3 of them allowing only Chaerin to hit a foul ball while the others hit the vast thin air or rooted on the ground, all strike outs. 10 pitches, 9 strike outs, 1 foul ball.

 

 

"I know it's a fastball but it was a slurve. God damn it." Mino says whilst depositing his bat and helmet followed by the cursing Jennie as both of them were the 2nd and 3rd strike out victims.

 

 

 

2nd inning finally starts. Chaerin on mound and Jiyong in front of the umpire. The lead off hitter came out of the dugout and came back in cursing after 3 consecutive strike outs. The second hitter positions, Chaerin knows who he is, one of the shortstops, Kim Jinwoo. Her shortstop back in college, the number 2 pick of their batch, the one who almost got the rookie of the year award if Chaerin did not hit 2 homeruns, 3 at bats and 3 stolen bases in 2 games.

 

 

Jiyong looks up at the hitter, his handling and stepping position before he throws a signal to Chaerin. With that, Chaerin immediately threw a 101 mph fast ball which uproars the entire stadium. Jinwoo stares at Jiyong's mitt and smirks which made Jiyong grit his teeth, Jinwoo caught it.

 

 

 

Jinwoo takes a step back and asks the umpire for a short time out and he starts doing warm up swings. He was the one who's able to score in the 1st inning and as soon as he goes back to his position, Chaerin already had a pitch to throw.

 

When she finally threw the ball, Jinwoo changes his position to a bunt. "!" Jiyong removes his helmet and lunges forward to grab the ball but he was too late, Jinwoo had gone straight towards the 1st base.

 

Chaerin stares at Jinwoo who's removing his protective pads with her jaws clenching. For 4 straight years, she was only able to get his into strike outs for 7 times and the rests are either homeruns or infield hits. He's a smart hitter and fast runner, that she knows.

 

3rd hitter came out of the dugout, Gong Minji. The number 2 draft pick of her own batch, a 3rd base infielder, a Golden Glove awardee for 2 consecutive years and it's currently her 3rd year and still has a very big chance to snatch it again. Another smart hitter. Minji was supposed to be the 5th hitter but their coach did the reset having her as 3rd.

 

Chaerin was able to give her 2 strike outs and 3 foul balls but the last pitch was a serious mistake. Throwing a curve ball towards a strong and smart hitter like her shouldn't be an option. Minji bats the ball all the way to the center field, almost turns into home run which advances Jinwoo to the 3rd base and Minji to the 2nd base.

 

 

 

"." Frustration is slow eating Chaerin up, her jaws are clenching and her hand's gripping on her rosin bag rather tightly.

 

"Chaerin-ah! Calm down. It was just a lapse of judgement. Just throw it, we're here to protect the bases!" Bom says, the 3rd base infielder of the team, the 2nd draft pick of her batch which is also the same as Sandara's batch. She was Sandara's infielder back in high school and college before they went ahead to Pros.

 

Chaerin removes her cap and wipes her sweating forehead before she wears it again. Tigers are stronger this year, that she knows but she won't let her limit of 99 pitches go to waste without winning this.

 

The clean up hitter came up and it's none other than Sandara Park. She should've known that Jinwoo, Minji and Sandara Park are always batting in order. A smart hitter with an incredible speed, the young smart sparkplug and the clean up hitter which is also the pitcher are just 3 of Tigers' star players.

 

 

 

Jiyong signals her next pitch, she frowns. Is it going to work? Jiyong punches his mitt and positions it before Chaerin closes her eyes and starts to focus once again, she can't mess this one up and so she throws a 100 mph fast ball which Sandara managed to hit straight into a foul ball.

 

Jiyong looks up and saw Sandara's face. His eyes went to their dugout and saw the signal of the coach which made him clench his jaws. He signals Chaerin another fast ball which Sandara made it into another foul ball. Third, Fourth, Fifth fast ball pitches all in 99-101 mph and Sandara flew them to foul ball section. Jiyong looks up once again before he changes the signals and this time, Sandara was able to swing it straight to the left field, a field hit for Sandara and one base for Tigers.

 

Jiyong stands up to stretch his limbs whilst cursing. It is not because of the field hit but because of the effects of the fast balls towards their opponent's pitcher, he is not into dirty plays but he can't do anything but follow the coaching staffs, he had to.

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter