His Noona

Body Guard

 

 

“Noona!! Where are you going??” A little boy ran up to his sister.

 

“Noona is going out to visit somebody…” the big sister told her brother.

 

“Can I come with you, too??” listening to her brother’s purposely funny English, she laughed. Oh her little clown.

 

“No Minho ah… Children are not allowed to that place.” She looked at her 4 and a half toddler brother.

 

“But Noona!! You are also a children!!” Yet again, she laughed at her brother’s mistake. She was sure that her brother knows the right grammer. He just made a purposeful mistake making himslef think that he’s being really cute… But can’t deny that he’s only 4 and a half…

 

 

“Minho ah… when I come back, I’ll bring gummy bears for you.” She tempted him.

 

“Er- ugh… Okay Noona…” the boy finally accepted defeat.

 

 

 

He has been doing this act as long as he has seen his sister going out frequently like this and becoming paler and weaker after each every visit.
The poor child was really concerned about his noona.
He couldn’t bear to see and hear his noona crying every night in her bedroom with their mother consoling her and their father soothing him by saying, ‘everything’s gonna be okay…’.
He knew something was terribly wrong but don’t know what.

 

 

“Noona!!” he called when she was about to leave him. “Come back safe!”

The 9 year old girl just chuckled and promised him she will be back soon.

 

 

The two children may be small but they have experienced pain worse than the elders can suffer. They knew the meaning of love bonds and patience that may be really tough for other kids like them can never accept.

For this two siblings, they couldn’t stay away from each other for long. They were always there for each other, side by side.

 

 

This visit of his noona continued for years until one fine day, as poor Minho thought, wasn’t fine at all…

 

 

10 years passed and Minho thought his sister was becoming healthy again but boy.. something was not right…


Even if his 19 year old noona stopped going to that visiting place, as he now knows, the hospital, she still looks bad at times… or maybe most of the time.

He knew she was going through a loads of pain; physically as well as emotionally.
Her milky white skin was no more smooth. It had turned into a different sick brown color.. Just like her brittle hair.

He was afraid that his sister isn’t going to be the same old happy girl…

 

He was worried about her… he could feel her pain in him…

He prayed that his sister wouldn’t suffer pain anymore. He didn’t like to see his sister in pain at all.
He wanted her to have peace and no suffering.
He prayed all the time for his dear sister.

 

 

 

 

Back to that fine day…
 

 

Minho thought that was a really good day because he dreamt that his prayers were answered. He dreamt that his sister was healthy again like those she looked in her childhood pictures.

He was really happy that day but was brought back to reality as he heard his parents call their family doctor and ambulance and other familiar things that he dreaded.
He felt the inside of his body churn sick again. He has never seen something so critical.

 

 

Soon, he found himself in the hospital, panic-struck, like his parents.
He was pacing up and down the corridor with frown on his face. ‘Will she be okay?’

 

 

Then a vision came to his mind. A memory when they were young.
 

“Noona!” the boy skipped to his 11 year old noona who was painting a picture.
 

“Ne Hoho?” she looked up. She had weak appearance but shining and active eyes.
 

“Noona! I want to promise you that I’ll be your body guard!!” the boy smiled brightly.
 

“Body guard?” she looked puzzled.


“Ne! A body guard to protect you when you are sad or weak!”


“Chicha?”
 

“Ne noona!! I promise! I’ll always make you smile!” he hugged her to receive the same from the latter.

 

 

 

 

“Minho?” his mom shook him out of his trance. “Doctor says we can go in.”

 

“Huh? Oh!” then he rushed in to see his fragile sister on the big hospital bed, followed by his parents.

 

“Umma, Appa… Hoho…” she weakly looked up.

 

Then they had a family bonding. Their parents were crying like there’s no tomorrow. Watching at them, the teens also started to cry. After all, shedding tears were contagious.

 

“Umma.. Appa.. I can’t feel anything now… I feel the pain is gone…” she whispered.

 

“Shush… Don’t speak… You must be tired.” The mother consoled her, her voice strained.


They stayed in that family for a long time until Minho realized something. Something that he intentionally ignored.
There was no tomorrow! She was dying… It was her last moments.

 

No wonder the doctors took so less time. It was really obvious. He was a fool not to see any.
 

 

His sane mind never realized until now that his sister was dying bit by bit with cancer.

 

 

“Noona! I’m sooo sorry that I didn’t keep my promise to you!” he cried harder. at the bitter truth. “I was no good body guard. I can’t help you.” He was in emotional agony.

 

 

Then suddenly… everything became silent. The heart beat stopped.
Minho couldn’t accept it... But his noona had a peaceful look on her face.