:: Episode 1::

Falling Into Wildfire
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Today was the start of Sophomore year. Needless to say, I was not ecstatic. Summer felt like it went by too fast, I already missed the beach, and the endless nights of video gaming and binge eating junk food. Getting up from bed, I yawned, grabbing my towel and change of clothes for the day.

Once dressed, I styled my messy hair, making sure it looked just right. I needed to make a good impression right? Once I collected my bag and keys, I headed for the kitchen, grabbing a quick sandwich and went out the door. Retrieving my bike I made my way to school, eating the banana pb&j as I rode.

Arriving at the gate, I was greeted with calls and hollers from my classmates. Waving and bowing, returning their greetings, I continued to make my way to the bike rack. Passing my group of friends I heard the catcalls and joking whistles. Shaking my head I continued making it to my destination locking my bike, I made my way to the group of idiots. In my path, I didn't see the freshman I had bumped into.

“Ow~” the voice sounded. I looked down to see what looked to be a skinny girl, with awkward mushroom hair, and plump lips.

“I'm sorry,” I lent a hand. “I should've watched where I was going.”

Observing more, I didn't recognize them. I watched as they looked up to me then back at my hand, almost questioning if they should take it or not. I kept my hand out, extended a bit longer then anticipated, the atmosphere turning fairly awkward. They took my hand finally, and I helped them up apologizing once again, giving a bow. And as I did, I noticed the paper that laid on the ground. I grabbed it, seeing it was a class list. I hadn't even looked at mine yet. Then I saw their name. Lee Taemin. Gulping, I felt foolish to think he was a girl. Holding my hand out, I returned the paper to him.

“I should apologize too. I'm kinda new here...” his voice wasn't shy or timid as I had assumed it would be. It wasn't a too high a pitch or too low either. He just seemed a bit standoffish at best.

“I figured as much. I know practically everyone, even the freshmen. Guessing you just moved?” I asked.

“As much as against my will it was, yeah,” he nodded. “Anyways, could you tell me how to get to the office? I was told I'd need to check in and such.”

“Oh of course. Go straight through those doors, you'll walk up the hall a bit, and it'll be on your left.”

“Thank you... Uhh...”

“Minho, Choi Minho. And before you go, can I ask your name?”

“Taemin. Lee Taemin.” Though his voice seemed indifferent, I don't know what it was but I couldn't help but smile.

“Ahh, well Taemin, welcome to SeoKun High. And if you ever need anything, don't be afraid to come find me!”

“...Thanks, and will do Minho. Thanks again, see you around,” he bowed politely and continued on his way.

 

“Who was that kid?” Mir asked.

“Just a newbie. Was asking for directions.”

“A freshman eh?” his brow twitched. “She was kinda cute, but her hair is atrocious.”

“Cause that's not a she...” I looked to him with a cocked brow. “ as ever aren't you?”

“W-wait.. You're lying right?”

“Nope, HIS name is Taemin. And you need help,” I flicked his forehead.

“Ow!” he pouted rubbing the spot. “I can't help it. Attractive girls set me off.”

“Well you better double check cause you might need to check your uality,” I chuckled.

Mir mumbled while the others only shook their head at him. Soon he excitedly announced what classes he had. Deciding to pull out my schedule, I found I shared gym and history with him. Checking with the others, besides either soccer, basketball, or the high jump meets, I wasn't seeing them much often besides lunch maybe. Not too disappointed, since I knew I needed to keep my grades up as much as possible. Not long after the first bell sounded, indicating for us to head for our home rooms.

*

Sighing I laid there, not too excited about this move, nor starting at yet another new school. The sky out my window was still dark. The time on the clock just an hour before my alarm. Sighing I continued to lay there.

“Why can't I just be home schooled? What difference does moving make? A new school? It'll be just like all the other times.” Sighing again, I shifted in the sheets, turning and facing the window. I continued to watch as the sun started to peak. And before I knew it my alarm went off.

Headed to school, I continued to study my classes, the room numbers and teachers. The only request was to report to the main office before school started. What annoyed me the most, they placed me in freshman year. While my grades were all enough to skip a grade, their point system in regard to other schools seemed to be different. Why? I wish I knew. What I didn't expect was running into a super cute guy. One who was helpful at that. I felt awkward with how nice he was, but folded anyways and let him. After awkwardly asking where the office was, we traded names.

“Minho.. Fitting.” I thought. Bowing and thanking him once more, I made my way inside.

Entering the halls, I wasn't surprised at how grand it all looked. With how much money it cost just to enroll. It was a special school. Not for your usual academics, and with some of the classes I'm already enrolled in, you wouldn't see those in normal schools, unless through funding or donated time. And as I was told, I was at the office. Taking a deep breath I walked in.

“Hello, I assume you're Taemin?” I nodded in reply. “Just take a seat, it'll be just a few minuets.”

Looking around, there were only a couple of seats. One occupied by another boy. Seeing the space between the seats, I sat away from him. Pulling out my phone, I tried to keep to myself, but... It seemed he had other plans.

“Hi! You new here too?” He sounded way too excited.

“That obvious?” I said without looking.

“I'm Jongin, but you can call me Kai.”

From my peripheral vision I saw him grinning. Internally sighing I put my phone away.

“Name's Taemin,” I looked to him. Bad idea. His eyes were so dark, yet captivating. And his smile, boyish and flirty, but cute.

“Well then Taemin, what classes you have?” He kept his smile.

I took a moment, unsure whether or not I wanted to. But at this point, I didn't feel I had much an option. From my lap I handed him the paper and we overlooked it.

“Wow~ Look at that, we're both taking a dance class!” He exclaimed. Surprised, I looked to him. “I've done Ballet since I was young,” sheepishly he looked away. “They have the best teacher here, I had to beg my parents to transfer me.”

Talking with him some more, I found out he lived on his own. Since his parents were living a few towns over. It worried me he was the spoiled type. I knew I couldn't just judge alone from that, I knew plenty of kids who grew up with rich families who weren't that bad. This guy I just had to wait and see. Soon after the bell sounded. We both looked to the few people at their desks as they continued to tack away at their computers or took phone calls. Looking back to each other we shrugged and continued to wait.

*

It was finally lunch time, and I couldn't be anymore relieved. Luckily for me, my classes so far have no homework, I'm just hungry. Walking into the cafe Mir practically tackled me from behind.

“Aish!” I was irritated.

“Oh...” Mir blinked. “You're cranky aren't you? Hungry? I'll buy you a sandwich,” he smiled.

“Deal,” I continued to the buffet styled kiosk.

“So how are your classes so far?” He asked as I handed him my sandwich.

“I saw you 2 periods ago.”

“Oh, come on Minho, it's the first day! Loosen up!” He laughed bowing to the lady who rang him up.

“I'm just fine!” I exclaimed. “And don't give me that look, you know I'm cranky when I'm hungry.”

“I know, but it's still amusing,” he kept grinning.

We found a spot and took our seat. Our break was an hour, which was godsend. It made me super happy that my more important classes were first, just meant i'd have more time to do them at lunch then have the rest of the day for other things. Talking with Mir, my eyes trailed away, and landed on the new kid. He was headed for the cafe. I found myself staring for longer then I anticipated.

“Minho, yoohoo!” Mir snapped his finger in my face. “What are you so glued too?” He began to look around.

“N-nothing... I just got lost in a thought was all,” that was a lame excuse.

“That's a lame excuse.” No Sherlock... “Anyways, as I

Please log in to read the full chapter