Moonbyul | Cold Morning

Girl Group Imagines

Prompt: “You’re beautiful, you know that?”

You wake up to the sensation of cold fingers under your shirt, pressed against your stomach, and even colder toes curled against your calves. The first sight you were greeted with when you open your eyes is exactly what you had expected—Moonbyul, hair messy and unruly from sleep, trying to climb back into your bed and cuddle. 

On reflex, you pushed her away, because cold fingers are not something you want to deal with first thing in the morning. “What are you doing?” you ask, tired, vision still slightly blurred with the last traces of sleep. Upon looking over at the alarm clock a moment later, you realize that it’s five minutes before you were supposed to get up. 

“Too cold,” Moonbyul murmurs, fighting against you pushing her away, until you finally give in and she’s able to wrap her arms around you and snuggle closer. “It’s warmer here.” 

“Why’d you get up before you have to?” You curl your arm around Moonbyul, holding her close to warm her up. “You’re freezing…” 

That’s different than usual because Moonbyul normally radiates warmth, so much so that you’re often the one pressing closer to her side in bed on cold winter mornings like today. 

Moonbyul doesn’t respond at first, just hums softly—in approval, almost—as your fingers trail through her hair. For a moment, you think Moonbyul is drifting back to sleep and double think nudging her awake—even if you feel bad about it, because you both have to be up for work in less than five minutes now—but Moonbyul finally does breathe out an answer. “You’re not gonna be happy…” You frown at the cryptic statement. 

“About what?” Moonbyul moves her head so you’re both looking at each other. 

“I got up to turn up the heat because when I woke up it was freezing, but…” 

“But?” You prompt when she trails off. 

“You’re beautiful, you know that?” Moonbyul smiled nervously at you.   

“…The heater is broken.” She says softly when she realized that you saw right pass her attempt to change the topic. “And no, I didn’t break it, so don’t blame me or kick me out of bed for something I didn’t do.” 

You roll your eyes at the dramatics and flick Moonbyul’s forehead. “If you didn’t have such a long track record, the thought of you breaking it wouldn’t have even crossed my mind.” 

Moonbyul laughs softly, probably thinking of all the things she has broken ever since you moved in together—in addition to the long list that existed before that. “Fair enough.” 

“We’ll get it fixed,” you murmur, trying to push away the thoughts of the alarm going off soon and how difficult it will be to get up and face the cold—the apartment is already cold enough in the mornings, an added dose of coldness is definitely not needed. 

“M’kay.” You’re silent after that, just lay curled up together under the covers and sharing warmth. Until the alarm clock does go off, the shrill beeping interrupting the few moments of bliss. You lay there for a minute longer before you reach over to turn it off and move to get up and get ready for work. 

“No, stay.” Moonbyul refuses to let go of you completely, trying to pull you back into bed. 

“I have work and so do you,” you tried to reason out, but you don’t exactly resist Moonbyul’s insistent tug, even though your words insinuate that you would. 

“Five more minutes? Please, jagi?” Moonbyul’s offer, although whiny, is tempting. Very tempting. So you find yourself agreeing to it. 

“Fine. Five more minutes.” … Five more minutes turns to ten. Ten minutes of warmth and cuddling and lazy kisses until you insist that it’s time to get up—even if you didn’t want to, you just really can’t miss work today—and move out of Moonbyul’s grip to get out of bed. Which was a bad idea, because it really is cold, way colder than expected. 

After feeling the combination of the already cold morning accompanied with absolutely no heat, you’re almost excited to leave for work. Almost. 

“You should get up,” you call over your shoulder after a few minutes when you realize that Moonbyul still hasn’t gotten up. “You’re gonna be late for your schedule otherwise.” 

“I’m not going.” Moonbyul’s voice is petulant and honestly, she looks like an overgrown baby still lying on your bed with the blankets pulled up to her chin, not to mention the pout on her face after being left alone in bed. “It’s too cold to get up.” 

You barely manage to contain your laughter at the sight, and merely shrug. “Okay, do what you want, but I’m sure it’s warmer at the broadcast station than it is here.” Not two minutes later, Moonbyul is out of bed and hastily getting ready for work, the thought of staying in the cold apartment all day suddenly no longer very appealing. 

“You have practice this afternoon, right?” You asked a few minutes later, pulling on your coat, ready to go to work. Moonbyul nods, finally looking away from the mirror where she had been trying to fix her hair. “Yeah. I’ll be back around dinner time.” 

“All right. I’ll call about getting the heater fixed. See you later, okay?” 

“Yeah.” Moonbyul turns to face you. “Have a good day, Y/N. Stay warm.” That may be easier said than done. Still you smile, and lean in closer so your lips meet in a quick goodbye kiss. 

“Yeah, you too. I love you.” 

“I love you too.” And with a wave, you head outside into the cold and snowy weather to go to work. 


Turned out, the heater won’t be able to get fixed until the next day, which meant a cold night. As if to avoid the cold for a little longer, you had both agreed to meet up at a nearby restaurant for dinner, but when you do return home, it’s about as cold as expected—meaning, basically as cold as it is outside—and it takes a while to even get a little bit warm. 

“You should give up, Y/N.”  Moonbyul grumbles from where she was curled up on the couch, wrapped up in blankets and probably really warm as she watches the news on the television… the weather was not going to get any warmer.

“Unlike you, I can’t put off my work.” It’s not uncommon to see Moonbyul come home from a studio session or practice and flop down on the couch and just sleep through her alarm clock the next morning. 

“But it’s cold, and aren’t I a better choice than work?” 

“You’re right about the cold part.” 

“Ouch, so mean, jagi. My heart can’t handle your cruel words.” 

You roll your eyes. You know that had you been looking at Moonbyul, there would be a look of feigned hurt on her face—because basically, Moonbyul is dramatic as hell. 

“Give me a few more minutes, okay?” You’re about to quit anyway because it’s so damn cold and sitting at the table in your coat, typing away on your laptop is not a very appealing way to spend the night. Not at all. Before you know it, Moonbyul’s arms are draped over your shoulders, and she’s hugging you tightly from behind. 

“Y/N…” Moonbyul leans her head back so you’re looking at each other. The oversized blanket is still wrapped around her, loosely hanging from her shoulders. 

“Problem?” You huff, puffing out your cheeks. 

“I’m cold and lonely.” 

“And?” 

“And you should come and cuddle with me. To get warm.” 

You turn off the laptop. “You’re a bad influence, just like always.”  

Moonbyul smiles, feigning innocence. “Me? Bad influence? Never.” 

“Keep telling yourself that,” you say, poking Moonbyul’s cheek before standing up and heading over to the couch, Moonbyul bounding over behind you. 

“Call it what you want, but you love it.” She smiles softly—the overwhelming feeling of fondness that settles in her chest impossible to ignore—and sits down on the couch, Moonbyul curls up against you and throws the blanket over you both. 

“Maybe. What’re we watching?” You grin. 

“This drama I found last weekend. So in this episode—” You both just stay sprawled out on the couch together the rest of the night, at some point moving to lay down. 


“You awake?” You ask when Moonbyul has been silent for a while. There’s no answer, and you lean over slightly, noticing that she had fallen asleep. The position you’re in isn’t exactly comfortable, not ideal to sleep in, but moving to the bedroom means waking Moonbyul up and leaving the warmth here. 

So with a small smile, you turn off the TV, tossing the remote to the side before settling back down next to Moonbyul. 

“Night.” You say softly before pressing a gentle kiss on the top of your sleeping girlfriend’s head. The feeling of warmth in your chest definitely reaching beyond the kind of warmth received through cuddling. 

Maybe a broken heater isn’t completely horrible after all.