Jennie Kim | Study Buddies | highschool!au

Girl Group Imagines

Summary: You don't question why one of the most popular girls in school asks you to tutor her; that is until she starts doing better than you in math.

Jennie Kim didn't need a tutor for math and yet here she was sitting at the library with you. The sun had already set but she managed to persuade you to stay a little longer to help her study for the upcoming test. You didn't mind mind helping your senior. Jennie paid attention to you when you two would go over the topics she struggled with instead of focusing on her phone to text her friends. She valued her time with you and made sure that your time together was always well spent, cramming as much material as you can.

If you were being honest, you enjoyed the presence of the older girl. Her company helped you remember the things you needed for class in a way that wasn't boring compared to when you would study alone and partly because you simply wanted to be with the brunette. You were always captivated by her beauty. She had caught your eye the moment you transferred into your new school. You never had the chance to get to know her since you two were in different classes and the fact that she was a grade level above you.

It wasn't until she came up to you for help that you two began seeing each other after school. You've always wondered why she chose you to help her out. Yes, you were one of the smarter kids in that class, you had been advanced due to your grades, but you were also a junior while she was a senior. It was no secret that the older girl was one of the more popular girls in school, she could have easily asked someone in her grade to tutor her instead.

You two were seated deeper into the library, near the history books to be exact. Through the many weeks of tutoring the girl next to you, you noticed how guys and girls alike would walk across your table just to catch a peek of the beauty that is Jennie Kim. Since no one had a reason to checkout the history books, less and less people would bother you two with their stares. Jennie didn't seem to notice the looks but you definitely did. You didn't want to admit it but you felt jealous because to them you weren't a threat. Jennie Kim would never be yours and you had to accept it. You didn't want to but you knew you had no chance at all. You were just any other junior she's friends with.

You heard a thud and loud groan next to you, interrupting your train of thoughts as you tried to answer another equation. "What's the problem, Ms. Kim?"

"How many times do I have to tell you to call me Jennie?" Her smile causing your heart to flutter. "I'm only a year older than you. You make it seem like I'm your teacher."

"Yeah, I guess you're right." You furrowed your eyebrows, trying to determine what would be the best way to go about this situation. "... J-Jennie."

"Now that wasn't so hard was it?" She laughs lightly, wedging her pen in her notebook to serve a makeshift bookmark. "It's getting late and we shouldn't spend the entirety of our Friday night studying." 

You nodded in agreement and began to pack your stuff as well. You could feel her eyes fixated on your every movement–you're almost afraid that she could visibly see how nervous you get around her when you're not studying together. 

"Y/N. Do you have plans tonight?" Jennie asks as you when stuff the last notebook into your bag.

You didn't have plans for your Friday night, you never did. Usually you'd spend your time alone cuddled up with a blanket watching your favorite TV programs after cooking dinner for yourself. You could invite your friends over considering that you lived by yourself most of the time thanks to your parent's busy schedule but you enjoyed your being by yourself.

You shake your head and adjust your bag onto your shoulders. "Why do you ask, Jennie?" You grabbed the heavier books from the older girl and began to walk by her side out the library.

"I noticed that you always come home late. Even when we don't study this late at night, I'd text you to ask if you're home but you'd reply when it's near midnight." This was another reason why you've grown to love the brunette beside you. She has always taken care of you even when you two left the confines of the library. A place you considered your sanctitude with the older girl.

"Oh well I usually head to the groceries before heading home. Sometimes I get distracted and spend my time walking through the park." You answered sheepishly. You noticed the worry in the tone of her voice and the pout on her face only intensified it, you felt bad for making her worry however your couldn't help your heart skipping a beat at the thought of her laying in bed waiting for the confirmation that you have arrived safely at home.

"Is that a chore you have to do everyday? Going to the groceries?" You shook your head once again and began to explain your situation at home. She nodded, understanding what you had said and stopped at the front of the school's gate. "Since my parents are away for vacation, do you think we can accompany each other tonight?"


Shocked would be an understatement. You were currently in the kitchen with your crush, who was wearing one of your gym shirt and shorts, preparing to cook dinner. You made a mental note to buy your mom flowers as a way of saying thank you for teaching you how to cook.

"Did I do this properly, Y/N?" She brought the chopping board in front of you to inspect the vegetables she had finished chopping. You nodded in approval and began transferring the finished dish into a serving bowl. Jennie added the chopped up vegetables and smiled at the fact that she managed to help you out.

"Do your parents know that you're staying the night?" You've never met her parents before and you were afraid of what they would think letting their daughter sleep with a stranger.

"Mm." She nodded You watched in amusement as she stuffed with a spoon full of chicken in rice. "How can a girl be so beautiful even when she's eating?" You thought. Your smile only grew wider as the older girl caught you looking before mustering the best smile she could.

"Am I really the first girl you've invited to your place?" Jennie asked, grabbing another spoonful. You nodded shyly, unable to confirm what you had told her on your way home verbally. You both fell into a comfortable silence obviously enjoying the food you two partnered up to make.

"Who watches horror movies by themselves at night?!" You felt the older girl push herself closer to you when another ghost popped up on the screen. You prayed that she couldn't hear and feel your heart beating abnormally quick as she laid her head on your chest, using it as a cover whenever something would frighten her. You might have lied when you stated that you enjoyed watching horror movies on Friday nights. You hated horror movies but you knew there was a chance that Jennie would move closer to you once the opening scene came up. One thing dramas have implemented in your brain are the cliché moments between couples. Friday nights alone didn't seem too bad now.

After the guilt set in when you saw the girl beginning to tear up, you quickly shut off the TV and whispered multiple apologies as you comforted her. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you cry."

"H-How are you not afraid?" She mumbled against your chest. You chuckled at her response, feeling a sense of relief knowing that she wasn't mad at you for possibly giving her nightmares.

"One of us has to be the brave one." You teased. You grabbed a hold of your remote once again, this time changing it into one of your favorite drama. Your attention was fixated on the television totally immersed in the unfolding plot-line, failing to realize that the girl that was comfortably lying on chest was beginning to doze off. It wasn't until the end credits of the episode began to roll out that you heard the subtle snores of the older girl.

You carefully slid away from her hold and slowly lifted her up from the couch, her arms subconsciously wrapping around your neck for support. You gently placed her down on your bed, making sure she didn't wake up from her slumber before tucking her in with your blanket. You straightened yourself up and stepped away towards the door, with the intention of sleeping on your couch, Jennie lazily grabbed your wrist to hinder you from moving further.

"Where do you think you're going?" Even with though it was dimly lit inside your room, you could tell she was sporting one of her charming smiles.

"Heading to sleep." You knew why she was asking. You were thankful that it was dark enough and that the older girl still had her eyes shut, preventing her from seeing the blush forming on your cheeks.

"It's your bed so sleep beside me or else I'll go out instead." Sighing in defeat, internally you were jumping in joy, you laid down beside her keeping some distance between you two. The distance only last for awhile before Jennie moved herself closer to you thus becoming the smaller spoon on the bed. You reluctantly wrapped your arms around the older girl. Your heart only beating faster as she intertwined her hand with yours, securing your hold around her.

"Good night, Jennie."


"So what? Are you two dating now?" Your friend, Rosé, interrogated after you told her the events that happened Friday night. You shook your head as you grabbed the last textbook you needed for your morning class before closing your locker.

"Friends have sleepovers right?" You sighed as you began to walk towards your first class. "Please don't get my hopes up. Why would she want to be with someone like me? Especially since I'm a junior."

"What are we talking about and why are we whispering?" Lisa swiftly wrapped her arm around yours.

"Jennie and Y/N slept together." You quickly covered Rosé's mouth and looked around to see if anyone had noticed what she said. Thankfully everyone else were too preoccupied in their current conversations or were walking to class peacefully.

"You what?!" The oldest one in your group of friends, Jisoo, yelled before flicking your head. "I did not raise you like this, Y/N!"

"Not that way." You rubbed your forehead in annoyance. "Wait. How far were you when you heard it?!" You began to panic, looking around once again to make sure the girl in topic was nowhere near your proximity.

"Calm down. I was following you three for a while to make sure you weren't getting yourselves in trouble again." Knocking all of your heads with a gentle smile on her face. "As class president, I can not have you ruin one of my most precious angels."

You all stopped in front of your first class, math. "It's not even like that! You know we're just study buddies."

"Study buddies? Is that a new term I'm not up to date with?" Jisoo looked sternly at you, crossing her arms. As you opened your mouth to retaliate again, the bell rang marking the first warning of the day.

"Let Rosé explain it to you and Lisa." You bowed sarcastically at Jisoo, ignoring her calls as you walked into the class full of seniors. You smiled and waved at the brunette already seated and prepared next to your chair.

"How was your weekend, Jennie?" You teased, placing your notebook and utensils on shared desk when you settled down. The lack of honorifics still making you feel uncomfortable.

"Could have been better." Jennie's mouth curving into a smirk, her response causing you to pout. You two snapped your heads simultaneously at the sound of your teacher dropping her pile of papers onto her desk. Mondays were never easy.


"What did you get for the fifth question?"

"I got the answer to equal 5." You answered back after flipping the page back to where the third question was. You quickly began answering the last two question of you worksheet. Jennie furrowed her eyebrows before she glanced at you.

"How'd you get that answer?" You grabbed your assignment and moved closer to her, comparing your work with hers. You scrunched up your face and looked towards her in confusion. "You got 7?"

"Doesn't the rule apply to equations such as this?" She explained, pointing at the part you managed to overlook.

"Yeah you're right. Thanks."

"For once I managed to help you." She teased with a blinding smile on her face. You smiled back and erased the equation you had set up, rewriting everything after Jennie's observation. You didn't think much of it. Everyone made mistakes. Until you noticed that she was correcting you more frequently. Even after the unit has passed she still managed to correct you. Still, it wasn't a big deal to you. That is until the class got back their chapter exam before the weekend; the teacher always made sure to give them back on a Friday, making sure students had enough time to weep over their scores or relish the feeling of doing well on them.

You smiled in triumph when you noticed the '100%' on top of your packet. You only had one question wrong but it was only for bonus points. You made a mental note to yourself to make sure you copy the equation properly next time. You glanced over to see what Jennie got on her test to ask how she did on her test, closing your lips abruptly when you noticed the '+1' beside the same score you got.

"It is possible that because we're studying together she's getting better at math..." You thought to yourself before shaking your head. You and Jennie did not cover the stuff that the question asked. The only way that she would have been able to get it right was if she understood it already by herself. You brought your hand up and let your head lean on it as you glanced at your senior out of the corner of your eye. You didn't know what she was up to, but you were going to find out.


"Jennie!" You waved your hand towards the girl who was about to step foot out the school gates.

"Hi, Y/N." She smiled sweetly at you. "Can I help you with something?"

"Actually... I have a question." You began. She nodded her head, a signal for you too continue. "... do you actually need tutoring?"

"Well tutoring can't exactly hurt..."

"That's not what I meant." You frowned and shook your head. "Would it actually hurt your grades if we didn't study together?"

She furrowed your eyebrows. "Why? Do you think that you can't tutor me anymore?"

You shook her head. "No that's not it-"

"Then why exactly are you bringing this up?"

"I just... You passed the extra credit question on the last unit test." You took a deep breath. "We didn't go over that so... How could you be struggling at math and understand it enough to answer it?"

She opened as she struggled to explain why she lied to you. Before Jennie could come up with something, which would have never came due to her state of panic, her phone rang. She glanced at the screen and sighed in relief. "Sorry Y/N. I have to head home, chores." She walked away quickly, leaving you standing dumbfounded near the gate.


"So you just left her?!" Jisoo yelled over the phone.

"I didn't really have a choice." Jennie replied quietly, the frustrated groan from the other line causing her to wince in surprise. "I got called home."

"That was your chance, deukie!" The older girl exclaimed. "Y/N can only remain so oblivious before she realizes who has a crush on her and it's not only you."

"I know, unnie." Jennie sighed, understanding fully what the older girl meant. You were oblivious of all the stares from girls and guys swooning over you. She noticed the way you'd stare blatantly at the people passing your table in the library when you two first began your study sessions. She noticed how the target of your stares would have cheeks as red as a tomato as they walked away, happy to have caught your attention.

Jennie could only look into her textbook more, hiding her jealousy and hiding from your stares as well. Jennie didn't know what to do but she was determined to make the younger girl realize once and for all how she truly felt.


The weekend passed by slowly, your anxiety concerning the confrontation you had with Jennie consuming your mind more and more each day. You wanted to skip class, something you've never done. Just when you mustered enough courage to act upon it, the girl you've been thinking about nonstop walked past the classroom doors.

You noticed how she looked more unkempt. Her shirt was wrinkled, the pleads of her skirt was uneven, and her eyes lacked the usual shine they'd have even in the morning. Though in your eyes she was still beautiful.

Deciding to put things behind you and starting afresh, you gave her a warm smile when she settled down beside you as usual. Instead of the usual giddy response and a bright smile, she simply nodded and looked towards the board.

You slumped down on your chair and began to copy down the equations on the board, trying hard to hide the sadness. You had a feeling your friendship would be affected. You just weren't ready to drift apart.

The bell finally signaled the end of class. Jennie was the first to head out, not even bothering to say goodbye. You sighed deeply and began to place everything back into your bag. Once the table was clear of all your stuff, you noticed a neatly folded piece of paper that had been hidden by one of your books. Unfolding it, you noticed the familiar penmanship from your seat mate.

Meet in front of the library after school. - Jennie

You ignored the palpitation in your chest and placed the note in the pocket of your shirt. Your mind began to race once again. What was she going to say? What were you going to say back? One thing you knew for sure was that this may be the last time to regain the relationship you had with the older girl.


Today, you dreaded hearing the final bell. You weren't ready to talk to her again. You've made up multiple apologies in your head but none of them could truly convey how you felt.

Your steps felt heavier and heavier as you walked trudged closer to the library. She was there. Of course she was, you were hoping she'd back out but here you were standing in front of her.

"I have to tell you something." You both said at the same time.

"I-I want to apologize." You began. "I didn't mean to offend you. It was never my intention to make it seem like you're incapable of knowing more than me because you are... capable. I just want us to be normal. Normal like not having this tension."

You were expecting her to walk away or to say she found someone else to tutor her. Though you weren't expecting her to laugh. "They weren't lying when they said you were oblivious." She tried to say in between her tears of laughter.

"I don't think I understand what you mean..." You began to step back when she drew closer to her. Standing in place when she wrapped her arms around your neck. Both of your eyes falling on each other's lips. Euphoria. That's what you felt when her lips glided with yours. You were still out of breath when she pulled away. Confusion and excitement consuming your mind and body.

"Was that a good enough explanation?" She gave you that ungodly smirk. The small traces she left on the back of your neck wasn't helping you to calm down.

"I think I understand it now." You chuckled, still on a high. "Since we've covered math.. how about we go over a little bit of chemistry?"