Ears don't lie

When I'm With You

 

"OUT OF MY WAY!!!!!!!!!" 

 

Jackson is literally pushing anyone who is on his way while carrying Jinyoung on his back. 

"Easy, hyung. You might hurt someone." Youngjae reminded him while running close.

"You're over reacting." Bambam who is also running, told Jackson. 

Jinyoung just remained quiet while resisting to scratch his itching cheeks and neck. 

 

During their recess break, Jackson came with a box of cookies at hand. He claimed that he baked those a while ago at home. Jackson seemed so proud of his product, but Youngjae and Bambam don't trust him enough (and it's not a secret). So being a good bestfriend, Jinyoung decided to give it a try. 

Surprisingly, the cookie was tasty. But, a few bites later, his neck started to itch. Now, Jackson, being the idiot that he usually is, failed to mention that he put peanut butter in making the cookie. And Jinyoung is allergic to peanuts! They all know that. "I thought it would be different since it's not purely peanuts." So the chinese says. This guy is his bestfriend. Yeah, maybe Jinyoung has to rethink his life choices.

 

They're now in the clinic. All four of them. The nurse wanted to throw the three students out since it's only Jinyoung who needs to stay. But Jackson pleaded on not making him leave his dearest best friend. Maybe the nurse can't resist him, or just gave up reasoning with him, that's why she let his friends stay.

"Hyung, you looked really funny! Man, I should've taken a picture!" Bambam said, laughing his head off. 

Jinyoung didn't bother on dealing with the kid. He's used to Bambam's teasing. And besides, he did look weird. He imagines himself, with red puffy cheeks and green ears. It does look weird. 

"Yah!" Jackson hit Bambam on the chest. "Go make yourself useful and get Jinyoung a glass of water." Bambam frowned but still followed. "And for your widest information, you look funnier even without allergies!"

Youngjae's laughter echoed the whole room. He's munching on an apple which Jackson said was for Jinyoung.

 

He's been best friends with Jackson since third grade. The way they became friends was actually funny. It was during p.e. class when Jackson accidentally hit him with a baseball bat. It made him unconscious. It's enough to scare the hell out of Jackson. But he panicked even more when he saw how Jinyoung's ears turned gray.

When Jinyoung woke up, he's in the clinic, with Jackson crying beside him. He said he's sorry. But his question cracked Jinyoung up. "Are you an alien? Will you tell your fellow aliens to take me to Mars, because I had hurt you?" He knows why Jackson thought he's an alien. It's his ears. His mood ears. It's a weird sort of power that he has (and he has no idea where he got it) since he was a baby. His ears change colors based on how he feels. So he explained it to Jackson. And since then, they became bestfriends. 

When they were in highschool, Jackson met Bambam who is with him in the basketball team. And Jinyoung met Youngjae in the music club. The four of them hanged out since then. The two younger also learned about his mood ears. They're all used to it now.

 

"Jinyoung-ah, I'm really sorry. I was stupid." Jinyoung looked at Jackson who has an apologetic look on his eyes. 

"Stop it, you don't look cute. And I already know that you're stupid." This made Jackson pout even more. A smirk formed on Jinyoung's lips. "Tss. It's okay. I'm fine now. But never will I eat your cookies again."

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

Jinyoung is standing in line to pay for his food in the cafeteria. The other guys were on their way, he just had his class finished early.

"What the-" he almost cursed when a tall guy behind him suddenly nudged his elbow. He was holding his tray and his bottle of water almost fell. The said guy has his earphones on, completely oblivious of his surrounding and what he just did. 

With a sigh, Jinyoung chose to not mind. It's an accident, he thought. But when the guy nudged him again, he got annoyed. Who dances in the cafeteria, anyway? 

In one spin, the guy nudged him again, causing his tray to fall over the floor. Now, he's mad. The tall guy with mushroom like hair took his earphones off. "Oh my goodness, I'm sorry." And maybe the guy noticed his violet ears, that made him gasp and ask. "Are you Jinyoung? Park Jinyoung?"

Huh? Jinyoung didn't know he was that popular. He stared at the tall guy, still with angry eyes when Bambam appeared and threw his arm on the guy's shoulder. "Hey, man!"

"Bam!" The guy greeted back. So they knew each other?

The guy's Kim Yugyeom. He's Bambam's friend and classmate. Bambam told him about Jinyoung's mood ears that's why he quickly recognized him upon seeing his violet ears.

"Oh! His ears are still purple. Is he still mad at me?" 

Yugyeom was whispering but Jinyoung can still hear him. 

"No, he's not. He's just annoyed." Bambam told him. "His ears are usually like that when I'm around. Right, hyung?" Jinyoung just rolled his eyes at the younger.

 

The three of them sat on their usual table. Yugyeom is with them as they were waiting for Jackson and Youngjae. Five minutes later, the two arrived with their food.

"We're sorry we're late. We came across these two students who asked for directions. And this weird guy kept on staring at our otter. But he's cute, right Youngjae?" Jackson teased the blushing Youngjae.

As soon as they're seated, Bambam introduced Yugyeom to them. Jackson is hyped, happy to meet another person with the same wavelength as him. 

 

"Uhm, guys, is it okay if I invite my friends over for lunch? They just finished their class. And they're both new here." Yugyeom asked after checking his phone. 

Bambam and Jackson answered with a loud YES, while Jinyoung and Youngjae just shrugged. 

"You guys are awesome. I'll text them now."

 

A couple of minutes later, Yugyeom is waving over someone outside the cafeteria. But it's not just someone, there were two guys walking over to their direction.

"Oh! They're the ones we met earlier!" Jackson exclaimed. "There's the weird yet cute guy, Youngjae." He nudged the younger who just busied himself with food.

"Hyungs!" Yugyeom stood to bump his fists with the two guys. "Sit down, these are my new found friends."

The guys did as they were told after giving a smile at them. Jinyoung studied them both.

The first guy, has a black hair. His eyes were narrow and he has twin moles on his left eye. Even though Jackson said the guy was cute, Jinyoung begs to disagree. He doesn't look cute. He looks like some gangster, especially with those earrings. But maybe, as people say, you can't judge a book by its cover. 

"Hi, I'm Jaebum." and Jackson is right. The guy can't take his eyes off of Youngjae even after shaking his hand.

 

The other guy, has brown hair. His eyes were a bit chinky, and brown. They turn into crescent as he smiles. And his canine teeth also shows as he does. This guy, seems to have a lighter personality compared to that Jaebum guy.

"Hey guys, I'm Mark."

He's not korean. His features is enough proof but his foreign accent gives him off completely. They also introduced theirselves to the new guys.

"I'm Jinyoung."

They shook hands, and Jinyoung felt something tingling inside him with a slight of Mark's touch. He chose to ignore.

While they were all eating, Jinyoung often catches Mark who is looking at him. And what's even crazy is he keeps on smiling at him. But there's something even more crazier. It's the tingling feeling that doesn't seem to go away.

 

"Hyung." Youngjae called on him as they were walking back to class. The rest of the guys still have another free hour.

He turned to face the younger. "Yes, Youngjae?"

"Uhm, it's just... I can't help but notice..." Youngjae scratched the back of his neck. "Back there in the cafeteria, I noticed that...your ears?" Jinyoung instinctively touched his ears. "They were slightly pink a while ago. And I find it odd, cause they never turn into that color. But a while ago, it did."

Jinyoung's brows formed a line. He's confused. Youngjae is right. His ears never turn pink. Maybe other colors, but not pink. Now what does that mean?

"Uh, maybe it's not because of my mood. It was kind of cold and I wasn't wearing my jacket." he reasoned. "Yeah, maybe it's because it was cold." Youngjae pursed his lips and nodded. He's convinced. 

But, Jinyoung thinks his self needs some more convincing.

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

"What did the dean tell you?" Jackson immediately asked as he walked out of the dean's office.

It was the end of their last class when Jinyoung was called by the dean. And his best friend was kind enough to wait for him.

"Tell me what it is that made you anxious? I hate seeing your white ears. It's just plain weird. Green is even better."

Jinyoung blew out a long sigh as they both headed towards the school's gate. He is anxious, alright.

"The dean wants me to tutor someone." He started. 

"And? What's the matter with that? You could use that extra income! If I am smart like you, I'll also give some tutorial lessons."

Another long sigh. "I'm tutoring Mark." And that fact makes him anxious, for an unknown reason.

 

Mark is from L.A. so his korean speaking skill is weak. The guy needs help in Hangul and History. The dean asked Jinyoung to help him out.

"And that is something to be anxious about...why?" 

Jinyoung could only stare at clueless Jackson. I don't know why but my ears turn pink when I am with Mark, and that's what makes me anxious. But he can't say that, can he?

He was just about to answer Jackson when a running Mark approached them.

He's wearing a jersey and is panting. "Hey!" The older greeted.

"Hey, man!" Jackson bumped fist with him. "Congratulations for getting in the team with us, by the way."

"Thanks, man." Mark's eyes stayed on Jinyoung's and now he's feeling all tingly again.

"Uhm, the dean told me that you're going to be my tutor?" Jinyoung just nodded. "That'll be great. I can't wait for our session to start, Jinyoung-ah."

"Uh..okay." is all that Jinyoung could say. "I need to go now." with a bow, he scurried off, away from Mark with Jackson shouting behind him.

 

"Hey, Jinyoung!" Jackson was able to catch him by the time he reached the gate. "Why did you run?"

He cannot answer. He panicked, okay? But he can't say that.

"And why are your ears so pink?" 

Jinyoung felt alarmed by what Jackson said. He's aware of it. He expected it would be like this, that's why he ran. Now how will he be able to handle a tutorial session with Mark?

"I...I don't know." 

Jackson's eyes didn't leave him. The older then turned his head to one side, carefully studying him. "This is odd, Jinyoung. And we need to find out what this is about."

 

 

They're in a cafe. Since there are no classes tomorrow, the four of them agreed on meeting up after classes, much to Jackson's wanting. He said they need to find out what Jinyoung's pink ears are all about. 

"We've all seen all sorts of colors, hyung. And personally for me, green is the weirdest." Bambam said while sipping on his ice cold coffee. Only him and Jackson likes cold coffee during a cold weather. They're weird alright, said Jinyoung who has mood ears. 

"But this is new. Pink. I only saw it once. That day when we met Mark hyung and Jaebum." Youngjae added.

"Right. And now I saw it for myself, and guys, it's the pinkest pink I've ever seen!" Jackson said with eyes wide as an owl's. "But Youngjae..." He then turned to the younger who's eating an egg pie. "Really now? No 'hyung'? Just Jaebum?"

Youngjae stuttered for a bit but Jackson didn't let him speak. "So back to the topic... I really find it weird. And what's even weirder is, your ears only turn pink, when Mark is around."

Jinyoung tried to keep a straight face as he sips on his coffee. 

"Do you perhaps...like Mark?" Jinyoung could've coughed on his coffee, if he was still drinking. What is Jackson saying? "But that would be impossible. Since you hate humans." 

Jinyoung rolled his eyes at Jackson. He's getting annoyed. 

"See? It's purple!" Jackson pointed out. "That's your usual color, since you're usually annoyed." 

Jackson then put his arm around his shoulder. "Still purple." The chinese said before leaning even closer. "Still purple. Wow, you really love me this much." That was sarcastic. But then Jackson kissed his cheek which took him by surprise.

"Really now, Jinyoung. Disgust, really?" His ears might've turned black. That's how they are when he is disgusted by something. 

Jackson pulled back and sat properly on his seat. "I can't get them to turn pink. Is that exclusive for Mark, alone?"

Jinyoung hissed. "Now what will I do guys? I can't let him see my pink ears. It'll probably freak him out."

 

His mood ears weren't really a big problem before. But now, they just might. Jinyoung is usually void of any emotions. But what's the matter with his ears now? 

"I have a suggestion!" They all looked at Bambam. "Why don't you wear a hoodie, hyung? That'll help to cover your mood ears."

Jinyoung thought for a second. Well, maybe that wasn't a really bad idea.

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

It all turned out well. Bambam's suggestion worked for Jinyoung.

Every time he spent with Mark, he's completely aware that his ears are in its pinkest shade. But his hoodie is able to hide it from Mark.

 

Mark on the other hand is nothing but sweet and kind. Jinyoung didn't have a hard time tutoring him. Except for his struggle in speaking Korean. Jinyoung finds it cute. But no one has to know that.

The seven of them all ate lunch together. Even though they're on different classes, they still hang out altogether. Jinyoung feels comfortable around the guys more each day. It was all okay. Not until one time.

 

They were all eating together when Mark told Jinyoung that he has something on his face. He tried to wipe it off, but Mark laughed at him. "Here, let me get it for you." and now Mark is wiping the cream off of the side of his lips. 

Maybe it was because Mark's face was too close to him, that he saw it. "Oh. Why are your ears so pink?"

Jinyoung felt his hands cold and he wasn't able to answer. He looked at his friends, desperately asking for help. Good thing, Jackson was quick enough to speak.

"He has allergies!" Jackson took the sandwich from Jinyoung's hand. "I told you to be careful with what you eat, Jinyoung-ah." Jinyoung gave a thankful smile to Jackson.

After that incident, he chose to avoid Mark. Jinyoung doesn't want to, but he doesn't want Mark to freak out because of his mood ears. And he's still not sure why his ears turn the pinkest when he's with Mark. So he's steering clear from him. Not until he knows why.

 

Avoiding Mark is impossible. One, because every afternoon, they have a tutorial session. Two, every lunch he sits beside him. And three, even if he tries, Mark seems to find a way to get to him. 

He went extra on avoiding Mark. Back then, he used to watch the basketball game, since his friends Jackson and Bambam are playing. But now, even when Mark asked him, Jinyoung didn't watch the game. It went on for days.

They still have their sessions during afternoons. But Jinyoung keeps their session at a professional level. If it has nothing to do with Hangul or History, he's not talking to Mark. The older might've noticed it, but he doesn't mind.

 

One late afternoon, Mark arrived at the study area, with two lunchboxes. Mark gave Jinyoung one, but he didn't take it.

"I'm not hungry. No, thanks." He tried to reject, politely. "Will you eat first, I'll just go to the library, and go back here after you eat."

He's about to stand up, but Mark spoke. "Didn't you think, I'll notice?" Jinyoung turned to look at the older. "Why are you avoiding me, Jinyoung?"

He was taken aback and couldn't answer. 

"I thought we were friends? But why are you distancing yourself from me too much?" He saw hurt in Mark's eyes and how Jinyoung wanted to look away from him. "If you hate being with me, just tell me. I could even tell the dean, so that you'll be free from your responsibility of tutoring me."

With that, Mark left. Jinyoung felt something heavy in his heart. He can't explain it, but he feels sad.

 

When Youngjae came, he is still sulking on his seat. The younger asked him what happened so he told him.

"Blue." Youngjae said. "I always hate seeing your ears in this color." He didn't answer. "Hyung, I think I know now, why your ears turn the pinkest when you're with Mark hyung." He looked up, but still he didn't say anything. So Youngjae continued. "And you know why too, you're just denying it to yourself."

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

Mark is avoiding him. Jinyoung could feel it.

After their talk, it seems like Mark really talked to the dean, that's why he now has a new tutor. Now Jinyoung isn't sure if he's pleased or what.

 

"Youngjae, will you go out with me?"

They all looked at Jaebum who is holding Youngjae's hands on his.

 

They're all in the rooftop. The five of them helped Jaebum to set up the place where he chose to confess his feelings to Youngjae. They all anticipated for this to happen. They were not blind, to not see how Jaebum's eyes light up everytime he sees Youngjae.

 

"Okay. Okay, I will!"

They are all happy for Jaebum and Youngjae. But something stirs in Jinyoung's heart as he looked at the new couple. He's happy for Youngjae of course, but something doesn't settle quite right on him.

"Hyung, are you jealous?" Bambam who's beside him, asked.

Confused, he turned to the younger. "Huh?"

Bambam then leaned closer and whispered. "Your ears are turning yellow."

Jinyoung looked back at Mark's direction, fearing that the older might've seen it. But his stare was nothing but cold. He chose to ignore it, along with Bambam's question.

 

Everyone already left, and Jinyoung was about to follow the others when Mark tugged on his arm. When he turned, Mark was staring at him intently.

Jinyoung reached for his hoodie to cover his ears. He knows they're turning pink again.

 

"So, you like Jaebum?"

What?! His forehead creased at Mark's question.

He wants to answer but Mark spoke again. "I heard you and Bambam. He said you're jealous."

It caught him off guard but he still answered. "No, I am not."

Mark scoffed. "It figures. That's why you were avoiding me. It's because it was Jaebum who you like."

He saw how Mark smiled bitterly. And as he left, Jinyoung could only think to himself.

 

How can I like anyone else Mark? I'm afraid I already fell for you.

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

"He's out on a date." 

Jaebum's answer after Jackson asked about Mark, is enough to hurt Jinyoung.

 

After that talk with Mark in the rooftop, the older has been missing on lunch. It was always the six of them. And now Jackson opted to ask, and this is Jaebum's answer.

Mark is on a date? Why that fact hurts Jinyoung, he doesn't want to talk about it. He hates that idea -Mark with someone else.

Excusing himself, Jinyoung stood up and made his way outside the cafeteria. He's done eating anyway. He'll just head back to class early.

 

"Jinyoung, hyung!"

It was Youngjae. He followed behind him. Jinyoung stopped walking, and turned to the younger.

"I won't ask if you're okay, cause I can clearly see that you're not." Youngjae said, pointing at his ears. "I would like to apologize for Jaebum, he doesn't know it'll affect you." The younger sighed before continuing. "But this is something more, hyung. You're not just jealous. You're hurt."

Jinyoung hates his mood ears sometimes. It makes it easy for the people around him to read his feelings. It just seems so unfair. He feels like an open book. He feels helpless, sometimes. Even if he wants to hide what he feels, he just can't. His ears are giving him away.

And he hates it that he can lie all he wants about how he feels, but his ears won't.

 

"I don't want this, Youngjae." Jinyoung said, covering his ears. He's on the verge of crying. "I don't know what I'm feeling and why I'm feeling this, but you all could see it. I hate this. I don't want this anymore."

His tears betrayed him. He finally cried and Youngjae just pulled him closer, embracing him. "It's okay, hyung. It's okay."

After a few moments, Youngjae spoke.

"You should talk to Mark hyung. The both of you are only hurting yourselves. Just talk to him and tell him how you feel, hyung."

 

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

 

Jinyoung chose to listen to Youngjae.

 

And now here he is, waiting for Mark at the rooftop. 

 

Jackson and Yugyeom promised to help him and make Mark go to the rooftop. So he patiently waited.

Just then, he heard footsteps coming nearer. Jinyoung felt his hand go cold again. He's nervous. He pulled on his hoodie, hiding his probably white ears.

 

"Okay, now I'm here, you nitwit-" Mark stopped upon seeing him. He heaved a long sigh. "Yugyeom." it came out as a curse.

He just stood there. Waiting if Mark will turn and leave. But to his surprise, he didn't. Instead, he closed the door and leaned on it.

"I'm sorry if I have to drag Yugyeom on this but I asked for his help so that I can talk to you."

Mark doesn't look anything but bored. It tensed Jinyoung up more.

"And what will our talk be about?"

 

Jinyoung inhaled before talking. 

 

"I'm sorry, Mark." It's where he'll start. "I admit, I really did avoid you. All those things I did, I really did those so that I can steer clear from you. I didn't want to be with you-"

"You know, you don't need to say sorry for hating me." Mark cut him off. He looked hurt. "And if this talk will just be about how much you hate me, then don't even bother to continue. I'm not one to stand here and listen to something that'll hurt me more."

Mark already turned to leave but Jinyoung was quick to follow and grab his arm making the older turn towards him.

"I don't." he breathed. "No, I don't hate you, Mark." 

He saw how Mark's eyes narrowed as he cocked his head to the side. A sarcastic smile forming on his lips. "Then what else is the reason why you avoided me?"

 

His hand tightened around Mark's wrist before letting it go. Slowly, he reached to take off his hoodie, showing his mood ears.

They're very much pink, Jinyoung knows that. And now, Mark can also see that.

 

"W-what's this?" Mark looked confused. Then worry is etched on his face. "Are you having an allergic reaction again?"

Jinyoung shook his head. "No. If I am, my face should be red and my ears should turn green. That's how they are whenever I don't feel well."

"Huh?" Mark's face is now filled with confusion. Alright, he needs to be enlightened.

"They're mood ears." Jinyoung explained. "I had them since I was a baby. They change colors based on how I feel. Each color corresponds to a certain feeling."

Mark stayed silent, just staring at him.

"But since I met you, they turned pink. Just like now." He touched his ears. "And this emotion is new to me. I can't...I can't explain it."

Once again, Jinyoung sighed. 

"When Jaebum asked Youngjae out, my ears turned yellow. Bambam saw, and he knew it means jealousy." He saw Mark's face fell but he continued. "But it wasn't because I like Jaebum. Yes, I was jealous. But it was because I envy Jaebum. He's brave enough to confess his feelings to Youngjae, while I can't even accept mine."

His eyes bored into Mark's brown ones. 

"Never in my life have I liked anyone. Never did my heart pick up its pace, a hundred times faster. This is all new to me. Maybe that's why, my ears reacted differently too." Jinyoung's lips quirk into a smile. "They turn the pinkest when I'm with you, and I think now, I know why."

He walked a step closer, his face only inches away from Mark's.

 

"I think, I like you Mark. And it's a foreign feeling for me. That's why I ran away at first. But now, I don't know how to run away anymore."

He stared at Mark's eyes, and he's thinking, how will forever feel like, staring at those eyes?

But then Mark pouted. "You think?"

Jinyoung only rolled his eyes. Really? Out of all that he'd said, that is the only thing Mark got? 

"Okay, fine. I like you, Mark. It really feels like I do."

Now Mark is smiling brightly and Jinyoung could swear, he felt his heart as it thumped.

"Good. Cause I like you too." Mark stopped talking to think. "Uhm, no. I think it's even more. I love you, Jinyoung. And I demand that you date me."

Jinyoung laughed so hard at Mark. "Oh, why is it orange?"

Jinyoung smiled. "Because I'm happy. And yes, I'll date you."

With this, Mark cupped his face and kissed him. "I love you, Jinyoung-ah."

It was sudden and quick that got Jinyoung surprised but he kissed Mark again. "I love you too, Mark."

 

Mark smiled sweetly, but his eyes lingered on Jinyoung's ears. "Now they're turning red."

"They are?" Mark nodded. "Something new again. But, doesn't red mean love?"

Mark wrapped his arms around his waist pulling him closer. He kissed his nose. "I guess, it does."

 

Then he felt his soft lips against his again.

 

◾◾◾◾◾◾◾

 

Oh i don't know, I'm just glad I finished this. :D

 

Annyeong! :)

 

How are you sweeties? And how are you after reading this? Pleased? Displeased? Annoyed? Satisfied? Could you guys check your ears? Hahaha.

Anyway, this is quite a long one shot, isn't it? I honestly thought it'll be a 5k word vomit. It almost was! Haha. 

I am glad I made it. Though I promised the update yesterday, an unfortunate thing happened and my draft was deleted. 

lesson learned: archive your note. 

 

Okay, I'm done talking. I hope you guys enjoyed reading this. i also enjoyed writing fluff again. His Voice is a bit more in the serious and mature side...ya'know. 

 

So I'll go ahead. Thank you for reading. I look forward to reading your comments! :*

 

 

Toodles!!!

 

 

<3 nicapark