Act 4

Overstepping

.

 

 

 

 

 

After the infirmary incident Wonshik found out why Taekwoon's mother was always so worried about his son. Turns out Taekwoon got sick a lot as a child. And it didn't help that he was a quiet kid, so even when he wasn't feeling well he wouldn't say anything.

In the end he'll end up at the nurses office at school and needed his mom to get out of work to pick him up from school. It made Taekwoon felt embarrassed and mad at himself for being so weak. Which was why, eventually, Taekwoon tried to do more sports and ate more so he could be stronger and healthier so his mother won't have to be worried about him.

But he was still his mom's only little baby so she continued on being the over protective mom she was. Plus, being a business woman too she couldn't be their for his son all the time. So the next day she had asked Wonshik to check on Taekwoon once in a while, by giving him his son's mobile number. She was actually kind of surprised the boys still hadn't exchanged numbers by now. Wonshik just laughed it off with laziness as an excuse.

 

 

Taekwoon on the other hand knew nothing of this when Wonshik sent out the first text message during a boring second period in class. So, it went a little like this:

[Hi Taekwoonie.]

[Who are you? What are you?]

[Sorry, it's Wonshik. I'm human, I think? Haha!]

[Oh. Um, how'd you get my number?] (Flushed Face Emoji)

[From your mom. She wanted me to have it in case anything ever happens again.]

[Of course, should had known it was my mom.]

[Er, I hope this is okay with you.]

[I guess it's fine. Why'd you text me now?] (Confused Face Emoji)

[Bored. And just wanted to say hi.]

[I see. By the way, did you call me Taekwoonie?]

[Oh, sorry I didn't realized. I usually add -ie when I text my friends. I won't do it again.]

[Doesn't matter. I don't care.]

[So, it's okay I called you Taekwoonie?]

[If you want to, I guess.]

[Ok. So, Taekwoonie, what's your schedule like?]

And from then on, when ever Wonshik had the time he'd text Taekwoon like this. Like when he's bored in class, he'd be texting away under his desk, not like he was the only one in class doing this.

Surprisingly, it was easier talking to Taekwoon through text. At least Taekwoon talked more through text. And Taekwoon liked using emojis when he can't find the words to reply back.

And Wonshik even found out about a couple things. Like Cha Hakyeon was one of the few people Taekwoon considered a friend, who he went to the same middle school and shared the same class with. He admitted Hakyeon had trouble giving people space but he knew the other doesn't mean any harm. Wonshik still had some reservations about him, but if Taekwoon feels comfortable around this person so he just had to deal with it for now.

 

 

Another thing he found out was Taekwoon can play the piano. Learned to play during middle school. Also, heard that Taekwoon has music class as his last period. So Wonshik thought he'd pick him up on this particular day.

The halls were fairly empty when he approached the music room, and he could clearly hear a piano playing. Could that be Taekwoon, he thought.

When he got there the double doors to the large music room was wide open, so he walked in towards the sound of the music. There he saw the backs of two male figures sitting closely together on the piano bench playing the piano along side each other, nodding their heads, engrossed in their music.

He could already tell one of them was Taekwoon by the back of his head. The other though, not so much, who had a taller figure and broader shoulders. Wonshik didn't want to interrupt them, so he waited until they were done.

Minutes later the pair ended with a cheer and an applause for themselves. Then they turned to face each, both with the brightest smiles on their faces. The stranger ruffled the top of Taekwoon's head, who smiled shyly.

Who was this guy? Wonshik wondered. Not to ruin the moment, but he decided to give the pair an applause as well too, to get their attention as he approached them.

The two turned their heads towards him. Taekwoon stood up. "Wonshik?"

"Hi." Wonshik waved his hand. "That was fantastic." He wasn't lying, he though he was at a concert a few minutes ago. He knew they were playing a classical piece. He just didn't know what it was called.

"What are you doing here?" Taekwoon asked.

"Thought I'd pick you up so we could go home together." Wonshik smiled good naturedly.

"Taekwoon, who's your friend here?" The other male finally stood up and was a head taller than both of them. He had a long narrow face, fairly handsome, and wore round framed, thin rimmed glasses that gave him an air of a worldly scholar.

"He's a-actually my ste-" Taekwoon hesitated.

"Yes, I'm his friend, Kim Wonshik." He wasn't sure why, but Wonshik didn't felt like introducing himself as Taekwoon's step-brother to this person.

"Hi, I'm Taekwoon's my music teacher, Mr. Shin. Nice to know Taekwoon has such a good friend." The teacher patted Taekwoon over the shoulders.

"Yes." Taekwoon said, and tried to end it there. "See you next week, Mr. Shin."

"Okay, see you next week. Have a nice weekend." Mr. Shin showed a wide smile. "You too Wonshik."

"Thanks." Wonshik replied politely. "You too."

 

 

"Well, your teacher Mr. Shin seems friendly." Wonshik commented as they walked out of the school's campus.

"Yea, he is. I like him," Taekwoon said.

As they continued to walk Wonshik had that nagging question in back of his mind. He thought if he doesn't ask now he'll wonder about it forever.

"Taekwoon, can I ask you something?"

"Um, sure. What is it?"

"About the reason you changed schools mid semester." Wonshik rubbed the back of his neck nervously. Maybe this was a bad idea. "There was a story about a male teacher and you from your old school that went around before... Was it true?"

Taekwoon halted in his steps, which caused the other to do the same.

"If you don't want to tell me, that's okay too." Wonshik said quickly. "I was just wondering. Nevermind. I shouldn't have asked. I'm sorry. It was probably a bunch of s who made it up. I don't know why people believe these lies. Forget I asked." He rambled and then he stopped himself.

"Do you want to know?" Taekwoon turned to face him. "The truth?"

"Only if you want to tell me," Wonshik said, because he wanted to respect the other.

But Taekwoon took a step forward and asked again. "Do you want to know? Yes or no?" With more force.

Wonshik was surprised by the other's sudden assertiveness. And he blurted out, "Yes! I want to know." Which he actually did.

 

 

So they walked to a neighborhood park and found a secluded bench under the shade, by some bushes.

They were silent for a good few minutes before Taekwoon took a big deep breath.

"During my junior year," Taekwoon began, "at my last high school there was this guy. He was from the popular crowd. He was tall, good-looking, smart, friendly. He was perfect. But for some reason, he said he liked me, who was nothing special. A part of me thought this might be a prank, but still, it's nice hearing that someone liked me. So I said yes to going on a date with him.

After that we started going out in secret. He said he didn't want people to talk badly about us and he didn't want me to get hurt. I agreed, after all we weren't a normal couple.

We had some nice memories; we spent some time together during the summer. Then senior year came along and things started to change. He began avoiding me. He was different.

Then later rumors had started about him dating someone of the same-. Serveral people were named, but the one that stuck was mine. And then around the same time another story came out that I was involved with my male English teacher. Everyone seemed to wanted to believe that latter story instead. So guess who was off the hook. That guy never tried to explain himself and treated me like a ghost after that.

The principle called me in to his office one day to discuss about what he (and other teachers and parents) had heard about me and my teacher, Mr. Parker. Let's just say weather it was true or not neither I or my teacher were gonna stay in that school just to protect there reputation.

Thankfully, everything was done so peacefully I didn't even have to tell my mom the real reason why I transferred. And Mr. Parker didn't blame me for anything, and said this was a good reason to return back to his home country, which he was thinking about anyway."

Wonshik had nodded along to the story the whole time. After a long moment of silence he asked, "Did you actually liked that jerk?"

Taekwoon snorted. "Yea, I guess I did, in the beginning. But those feelings faded when he started avoiding me."

"Was he your first, boyfriend?"

"He was my first in, everything."

Wonshik had a sudden pause and looked at the other.

Taekwoon's face redden, looking down at his feet. "We only held hands and kissed. That's all."

"Oh," was all Wonshik could say, just realizing his face was a little heated too.

"Um, sorry you had to find out about me, being this way." Taekwoon was still looking down.

"No, I'm sorry," Wonshik said apologetically, "for avoiding you before. When I first heard about the rumors. I wasn't sure what to do. Or what to say to you."

"I-I guess," Taekwoon, stuttered, like that was a lump forming in his throat. "I understand if you find it weird or gross."

"What!?" Wonshik snapped, suddenly standing up from the bench to face the elder. "No, no. It's not like that. I just never thought you'd be... It's okay. Everyone should be free to love anyone they want to love. And loving someone should not be wrong."

"You really think so." Taekwoon finally lifted his head up, and looked at the younger hopefully.

"Yea." Wonshik crouched down to meet him at eye level. "It's just too bad your first love wasn't a good person."

"I know." Taekwoon laughed bitterly. Then he gazed at Wonshik, who was in front of him looking back at him tenderly. "It's too bad I didn't meet you first."

Wonshik blinked, perplexed.

"I mean." Taekwoon shook his head. "It would had been nice to have someone like you around to talk to at the time. That's what I meant."

Wonshik smiled and reached out, placing a hand on Taekwoon's knee and gave it a squeeze. "Well, I'm here now. And you can always talk to me."

Taekwoon looked at him, then the hand on his knee. He smiled, and then bit his lip, and turned away. It was later followed by a soft thanks.

Wonshik couldn't help thinking the other had more to say, but he didn't want to push him.

 


_______________________________________
Next time will be rated M, gonna get a little spicy. WonTaek's relationship is quickly moving along.

*If you like the story please upvote.
**If you want to continue following the story please subscribe.
***If you want updates sooner please comment.

Thank you for reading!

 

 

.