Her Curse

Written In The Stars

Jihyo figured it was just some kind of curse. A curse polaced upon her since the beginning of her fate, by none other that the universe itself.

She was only ten years old when she joined JYP Entertainment as a trainee. She recalled feeling giddy for her possible future of debuting and following her passion. Although only being ten, she dreamed of singing her little heart out on stage infront of a crowd that adored her. So, she remained strict towards her training, not caring that this endless hard work would be what made up her childhood. She was prepared for it. 

Unfortunately, she quickly realized she could have never been prepared; for fate had other ideas. 

Five years later, she caught sight of a new trainee. Jihyo was used to seeing trainees come and go, she tried her best not to get too attached. She was so used to it that she soon learned to not even bat an eyelash towards a new face. Yet somwhow, by some unknown force, this specific trainee made her stop dead in her tracks.

She radiated an aura that immediately caught Jihyo's attention. Almost as though she had her own gravitational pull that kept pulling her in. She strode with confidence, a smirk permanently etched on her face. Her cheeks would've made anyone else appear chubby (like Jihyo herself), yet it complimented her features so well.

Jihyo didn't realize she had been staring, until the very face being unknowingly gawked at was now smiling.

And then it hit her. God that smile. Jihyo believed it was unfair. Unfair for the the universe to place this kind of smile on anyone. The girl had bunny teeth, making her look absolutely charming. In all her fifteen years of living, Jihyo had never had the chance to go through hormonal desires like her fellow classmates. Yet there she was, shamelessly staring at this stranger's lips. Then, the lips began to move.

"Hello, my name is Im Nayeon. I'm a new trainee here," she kept her grin after her introduction.

Jihyo felt like running away. Like avoiding this girl that screamed danger. The words "Im Nayeon" kept replaying in her head, almost as if she was scared to forget the girl's name. Everything was such a warning sign to her. The girl's smile, her lips, her aura; it all made Jihyo scared for herself. Yet, this is reality. Unfortunately, physically running away from your problems was considered rude. 

"My name is Park Jisoo, but please call me Jihyo," she broke into a wide smile. 


_____
 

Jihyo should've ran away when she met Im Nayeon. 

She felt the girl cuddle closer to her side.; "For someone who's two years older, you sure are clingy," Jihyo giggled at the older. Nayeon pouted, a pout that had so much power over Jihyo, and she was so unaware of it. 

"Jeongyeon isn't paying attention to me. You're much more consdiderate than her."

Jihyo internally winced at the girl's response.

What Jihyo didn't know back then when she met Nayeon, was that she wasn't the only new trainee. So when Nayeon introduced Yoo Jeongyeon to Jihyo one day, she realized her fate had now become complicated. Complicated because Nayeon's eyes shone whenever the short haired girl was around. Complicated because Jihyo still fakely smiled at her despite being secretly jealous, an unfamiliar feeling to her. Complicated because Jihyo grew to really like Jeongyeon, and she wishes the universe would've sent an or something instead of Jeongyeon.

But the universe isn't that kind. 

"Let Jeongyeon breathe for a minute Nayeon, you're on her all the time," the younger replied teasingly. 

Nayeon grunted. "Stop teasing your unnie, you child."

"You're only two years older than me, but I guess that makes you a grandma." Jihyo chuckled.

Nayeon lightly smacked the other girl's shoulder. Her face then shifted to that of pondering. "I don't know Jihyo, there's just something about Jeongyeon that makes me wanna be around her. Almost as if I have no control. I don't think you'd understand."

Jihyo's stomach flipped, and not in the way it's stated in romance novels and dramas. It flipped in a way that made her feel as though she'd puke.

She knew all too well about what the older was talking about. She knew those kind of feelings, how could she not when Im Nayeon existed? How could she not when she became so close to Im Nayeon? How could she not  when Nayeon was so talented, beautiful, and charismatic?

Jihyo knew it all a little too well, and it hurt her. It hurt her because here was the very same Im Nayeon, talking about Jeongyeon the same way Jihyo thought about the eldest. 

"I don't think I understand what you mean Nayeon, but I'm willing to listen to your thoughts whenever you wish. I promise not to judge," Jihyo offered. 

Nayeon smiled at the younger's words, clearly touched. So unaware that the younger had just lied for her sake.

"Thank you Jihyo, it really means alot," she smiled sincerely.

Jihyo smiled back, that's all she was able to do. She felt a tinge of guilt that she had lied about not understanding how Nayeon felt, but she figured it was for the best. For the both of them.

Plus, Jihyo got to see Nayeon's beautiful, sincere smile. That was enough to make up for her small heartbreak. 

______

Park Jihyo got used to lying. 

She got used to lying whenever Nayeon or Jeongyeon asked if she was okay. 

She got used to lying whenever she declined hanging out with them.

She especially got used to lying to herself.

Jihyo focused even more on her training, her soul still incredibly devoted to debuting. She knew Nayeon and Jeongyeon felt the same, but she considered them distractions now. Both physically and mentally. 

She wishes the two older trainees weren't the kind of people they were. If only they hadn't been such good people. One of them a little too good. 

She figured avoiding them for a short while would not only help her mentally, but also with her training. 

She should've known better than tempting fate. 

For a few days later, the plan for 6mix was placed in front of her on a silver platter. The idea for a possible debut immediately excited her. This is what she had always dreamed of, what she had worked so hard towards.

Then, she was informed of her possible members. Two names that caught her full attention: Im Nayeon and Yoo Jeongyeon.

Jihyo almost audibly laughed at just how everything aligned for her.

The universe was funny, wasn't it?

When she exited the room, she was met with a body crashing onto her. 

As she took the scent in, she immediately recognized it. 

"Jihyo! You heard the news right?! We might be debuting! All three of us! Together!" Nayeon squealed happily.

Jihyo turned to the older girl's face, taking in her clear elated expression. Every feature was already gorgeous to Jihyo's eyes, but happiness just made her appear so much more beautiful.

Heaven is always disrupted, though.

Jeongyeon cleared , her presence had gone unnoticed by the youngest. "Let her breathe, Nayeon." Nayeon did as she was told and released Jihyo form her hold, which somehow made her feel much more colder.

Jeongyeon placed a hand on Jihyo's shoudler. "We mght debut, kid. Imagine that, all of our hard work might finally pay off."

Nayeon nodded along enthusiastically to her words, "And its gonna be the three of us, its like it was written in the stars!"

Jeongyeon laughed at the eldest's words, Jihyo agreed and smiled along dumbly.

Yes, it was in fact written in the stars. Though, Jihyo saw different writings. She saw that her internal struggle would only worsen, and all she could do is blindly walk forward. Cause dammit, Jihyo might debut and that's a huge start for her dream. She didn't mind if it had to be along Nayeon and Jeongyeon, she knew deep down she loved them.

Of course, she loved one romantically, and the other platonically. 

_____

Jihyo learned the hard way that sometimes the stars lie. 

She realized it by looking into broken, desperate eyes. 

Not only her own, but from two others.

Despite having heard news of possibly debuting as 6mix, they never actually properly debuted.

Nayeon, Jeongyeon, and Jihyo still clinged onto hope.

Jihyo wasn't a fool.

Although Jeongyeon and Nayeon both tried so hard to be encouraging and hoopeful in front of the youngest, Jihyo knew the both of them were also hanging on by a thread.

They were all desperate for a debut, something they had all worked incredibly hard for. 

Jihyo was in a practice room, dancing in order to forget her inner struggle for a good minute. 

She didn't even notice someone had entered.

"How are you holding up?"

Jihyo whipped her head towards the intruder, and felt her heart come alive again at the sight of the eldest.

She tried to give the other her most genuine smile, which wasn't much considering the circumstances.

"I've been a trainee for a long time, Nayeon. I learned how to be patient. So, i'd like to think I'm doing pretty well."

Nayeon chuckled bitterly. 

"How are you the youngest, yet the strongest? I don't know how you do it." Nayeon began walking closer to Jihyo. 

Jihyo got to look more deeper into Nayeon's eyes thanks to the new close proximity.

All she saw was hurt and desperation. 

Hurt and desperation that transferred onto Jihyo, because she never wanted to see those feelings in Nayeon's eyes. 

If she was being completely honest, seeing Nayeon hurt pained her a lot more than the issues with debuting. 

If she was patient, she'd be able to debut, so she'd never really lose hope. However, if the older lost her spark, Jihyo didn't know what she'd do to handle it. 

She would do anything to see the other happy again.

"Nayeon, it's gonna be okay. We're all bound to debut soon. We're all extremely talented and hardworking, we just have to wait for the right moment."

Nayeon visibly softened at the younger's words.

"We just have to keep on working hard. This disappointment should only fuel us, so that when we actually debut, we'll be better than ever. After all, it's written in the stars Miss Im Nayeon," Jihyo looked at the older fondly, trying to lighten the mood. 

She had no idea her hand was now holding the oolder's.

Nayeon squeezed it tightly, now letting a smile form on her face.

For a moment, Jihyo forgot every single ounce of negative feeling that had ever rested at the pit of her stomach.

How could she focus on everything that's going wrong, when she's looking at her favorite person doing her favorite smile?

Jihyo began to draw circles on Nayeon's hand with her thumb.

The two were staring at each other in comfortable silence, until Jihyo felt a sudden wave of guilt.

Somehow, this was wrong.

All Jihyo wanted to say was, "I'll be here for you Nayeon, always."

What she actually said was, "Jeongyeon and I will always be here for you, Nayeon." She smiled bitterly.

She can't rewrite the stars.

She can't change the universe's mind.

If this path was her destiny, then so be it.

All she knows is that if Nayeon kept smiling at her like the way she is, Jihyo would gain strength.

It didn't matter if the other didn't feel the same way.

All she needed was for the other to be by her side.

_____

Jihyo hopes the stars won't let her down this time.

She was a fool for thinking the universe liked her. 

She had gotten the opportunity to join a survival show with a group of trainees, Jeongyeon and Nayeon included. 

The show was called Sixteen, and the prize was a promise to debut as a group. 

At first, Jihyo was hesitant to accept the offer. What if she was let down all over again? Despite her uncertainties, she accepted the offer. Any chance to debut was worth taking. 

She saw some familiar faces that she was friendly with, and others who were either a little too young or new for her to have known personally.

The show began with separating the trainees into two groups called Major and Minor.

In the end, Jihyo was left on stage with another girl named Kim Dahyun.

Jihyo had confidence she'd be part of the Major team, since she's far more experienced than Dahyun.

She was wrong to believe in the universe, for Dahyun's name was called into the Major group.

The pale girl turned to the older, with her eyes wide filled with surprise. 

Jihyo couldn't bring herself to be mad at the younger, she had nothing to do with the way fate worked.

So, she smiled and congratulated her. 

Defeated, Jihyo slowly walked towards the minor section. 

All she wanted was to go and fall into Nayeon's arms, but the older had been chosen for Major. 

She looked across and caught Nayeon's gaze, she had a sympathic smile on her face. 

The older felt bad, this much Jihyo knew. 

But just like Jihyo and Dahyun couldn't, Nayeon can't change fate either. 

She'd work hard in this survival show. In order to debut with who knows who. 

Also to debut with the one and only, Im Nayeon.

_____

Jihyo didn't realize she'd have to work extremely hard.

She had been a trainee for about a decade already, so she had grown used to the harsh conditions in her company.

However, Sixteen added a lot more weight on her shoulders, weight she was not used to. 

Every choice she made, every performance, could dictate whether or not she'd debut. 

That was frightening to her. 

It was almost as if she had a say, but also no voice. 

Every challenge Park Jinyoung handed her and the other trainees was difficult, mainly mentally.

Jihyo watched her fellow (possible) members fall apart one by one. 

Those who were confident, became insecure about every move. 

What hurt Jihyo the most, was watching Nayeon cry. 

Nayeon, although overwhelmingly talented to Jihyo's eyes, had a difficult time pleasing Park Jinyoung's wishes. 

Jihyo watched helplessly as Nayeon crumbled in the Minor's dorm, of course, in Jeongyeon's arms. 

Jihyo had felt many pangs in her heart in her years of living, but ever since she met Im Nayeon the pangs became much more frequent. 

Nayeon had found comfort in Jeongyeon's care. Every time she was in a negative state of mind, she'd go in search for the short haired girl. 

Jihyo couldn't help but feel jealousy and guilt all at the same time. 

She wanted to be the one Nayeon searched for in hard times, she wanted to be the one to make the older smile.

She'd do anything to see her show her bunny teeth again. 

Simultaneously, she felt guilty. 

Guilty because Jeongyeon was undeserving of the way the younger felt towards her. 

Jeongyeon and Jihyo had become closer over the years, each year added more guilt onto Jihyo's shoulders.

She wished the universe would've chosen anyone else but the kind hearted Yoo Jeongyeon. 

At the moment, the very same Yoo Jeongyeon was gone somewhere doing who knows what. 

Which meant Nayeon went to Jihyo in search for comfort. 

Jihyo was aware that she was in fact a second choice, but it didn't disturb her much.

She was happy that she was atleast a choice. 

"Jihyo, I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I try so hard at every challenge, and for what? Just for him to slam me and say I'm not working hard enough? Or that I'm working too hard? I feel like I can't win," Nayeon stated bitterly, having been ranting to Jihyo for a good few minutes.

The younger listened intently, rubbing Nayeon's back in attempt to soothe her. 

She knew where Nayeon was coming from. 

Ever since the show began, Nayeon had been facing ups and downs, she never felt secure.

She knew, because Jihyo felt the same.

"It's gonna be okay, Nayeon, you're incredibly talented. No matter what he says, just keep doing what feels right. I'm sure you'll do great in the future. You deserve to debut."

Nayeon chuckled half heatedly, her eyes appearing to be glassy. 

"What's so funny?" Jihyo scrunched up her nose, trying to ignore the way her heard reacted at the intense eye contact Nayeon was now doing.

"Its just that, this reminds me of what you told me that night in the practice room, when I whined about not debuting as 6mix," Nayeon lightly smiled.

Jihyo's cheeks burned. 

"And yet, here you are, still being a whole lot stronger than I am, despite me being the oldest one in this whole damn show," Nayeon scoffed, but still appearing to be in better spirits. 

They both went silent, as if both were reminiscing the memory. 

Jihyo was comfortable in the silence, until Nayeon suddenly spoke up. 

She turned to the younger. "Jihyo, if there's anything I'm sure about in this world, it's that you will debut. You have talent that gushes out whenever you move, and i'll be dammed if Park Jinyoung doesn't realize it."

She didn't know if the older noticed, but Jihyo blushed furiously. She failed to keep her smile from becoming more wide. 

"What makes you so sure about that?"

"It's written in the stars, Park Jihyo," the older smirked. 

Jihyo felt everything within her come alive. 

Is it bad to work hard just for someone?

Is it bad that Jihyo suddenly had the urge to debut, just for Nayeon's sake?

Of course, debuting was still her ultimate dream and goal; but somehow the older's words and smile made her want to work harder than ever before. 

Jihyo knew that challenging the universe was a foolish decision, but she'd rewrite the stars just for Im Nayeon. 

She'd write down for her and Nayeon to debut together. 

_____

Somehow, by some miracle, Jihyo won her challenge against the universe. 

It was just announced that Jihyo would debut, along with Jeongyeon, Nayeon, and six other members.

The entire moment was incredibly surreal to everyone, including Jihyo. 

She was going to debut, for real this time.

No maybes,  no disappointments.

She stood on the stage with wide eyes, tears clearly on the verge of falling. 

Jihyo turns and spots Jeongyeon and Nayeon, both hugging and in tears at the news. 

The younger's mind went blank.

She collided against their bodies, engulfing them both in a hug at the same time. 

She heard Nayeon clearly sobbing, and Jeongyeon trying desperately to calm her. 

Jihyo smiled, she couldn't wrap her mind around the fact that she had somehow gained something good from the universe. She was beginning to believe she was cursed when she met Im Nayeon. 

_____

Curses exist in the form of human beings with way too cute smiles. 

Jihyo had been in a room along with her new members, all which had still not hit her yet. 

She recalled being heartbroken over her failure to debut under 6mix, and now here she was, getting to know her new members of Twice. 

Jihyo smiled to herself, for once the stars appeared to finally align for her. 

For the most part, she had been content with all of her members.

Each individual had their own distinct characteristics that brought something different to the group. Jihyo was sure that this was going to be the real thing. 

And the best part of it, was that she was still with Im Nayeon. 

At the thought, Jihyo turns to the older, who was in the middle of conversing with Momo. 

The girl was talking animatedly to the dancer, eyes bright and smile wide. 

Jihyo stared unconsciously, feeling herself become lost by gazing at the other's features. 

Until she realized the very face was now looking at her expectantly. 

Jihyo snapped herself out of her daze, only to realize she had eight pairs of eyes on her.

She cleared , "I'm sorry, I wasn't listening. What were you guys saying?" She suddenly felt nervous under the gazes of her members who most likely caught on that she was in fact, shamelessly staring at Nayeon. 

Dahyun laughed along with Chaeyoung at the older's little moment. 

Jihyo felt a tap on her shoulder, and turned to see Tzuyu. 

"We were saying that you should be our leader, Jihyo unnie," Tzuyu said with a small smile. 

Jihyo's eyes went wide. 

"Me? Leader? Why would you guys think that?"

"Oh come on Jihyo unnie, we all know you'd fit perfectly for the part. We all talked about it and agreed," Chaeyoung responded, everyone else nodding along to her words.

Jihyo was speechless. 

How could she be a leader of a group if she couldn't even keep her mind and heart under control?

Jihyo shifted her line of sight, and met Nayeon's eyes. Her expression was unreadable, but Jihyo knew what her warm smile meant. 

Nayeon reached her hand out and placed it on Jihyo's knee. "Come on Jihyo, you have to be the leader. It's written in the stars," she winked. 

Jihyo smiled at the older's words, of course she'd say that at this moment.

As she looked at each face that held only reassuring smiles, she knew that Nayeon was right. 

_____

The stars had finally aligned. 

It had been quite a few years since Twice debuted, and Jihyo felt as though she were on top of the world. 

Twice was incredibly successful, and she couldn't have chosen a better path to take in her life than this one.

Each day and comeback felt like a dream to her still. 

She couldn't get over the fact that this is her life now, and that she had finally made it. 

Jihyo smiled at the thought of her past and how far she had gone. 

She was glad she chose to challenge the universe in its game called fate. 

Jihyo walked into the dorms, only to be met with her curse once again. 

There on the couch, was Nayeon clinging on to Jeongyeon while sitting on her lap. Her eyes were love-stricken, her smile and voice laced with something that wasn't meant to be platonic. 

The younger didn't want to, but her smile faltered.

Yes, she might've won against her challenge when it came to debuting, but not when it came to Im Nayeon. 

No, she'd never win this challenge. Her curse would last until who knows when.

Jihyo cleared to get the couple’s attention, trying to compose herself in order to hide the fact that she was hurt. 

The couple turned to her, surprised to having been caught.

“Can you guys go be couple-y somewhere that isn’t here?”Jihyo said without thinking, she silently prayed that they both would take it as just light teasing. 

Nayeon laughed. “Sorry Jihyo, yes ma’am!” 

Jihyo sighed in relief, she was grateful at how oblivious the oldest could be sometimes. 

She smiled as best as she could, and walked to her room. 

She let herself fall on the mattress, distraught at how she had almost let her heart overrule her mind. 

She cursed at herself, for ever being forward about her feelings in regards to the oldest. 

She hated this curse. 

Yes, she still wishes the universe could’ve shown more mercy to her. She still wishes it would have sent some other person that wasn’t Jeongyeon. It would’ve made everything a lot more easier.

But Jihyo learned that the universe shows no mercy. 

Her thoughts had been interrupted by a sudden knock at her door. Jihyo assumed it would be one of the other members who had come back from one of their jobs, so she easily yelled for the member to come in. 

As the door opened, Jihyo sat upright in surprise. 

She was met with Yoo Jeongyeon.

Jihyo’s eyes went wide, staying silent out of loss of words. 

Jeongyeon made her way across the room and sat down next to the younger. 

The younger looked at her expectantly, wondering why the other had come into the room.

The silence was deafening, Jihyo just wanted the short haired girl to just spit out whatever was on her mind. 

“Im sorry, Jihyo.”

Jihyo whipped her head so quickly at the older’s words, had she caught on to her feelings?

“It’s okay Jeongyeon, I was just teasing you and Nayeon earlier,” Jihyo replied easily with a smile.

Jeongyeon shook her head, “No, I’m sorry for hurting you all these years.”

“W-what do you mean?” The younger’s voice cracked.

“I know, Jihyo. I know you’re in love with Nayeon.”

Shock hit her in the heart like a lighting strike. Had she been this obvious the entire time?

She never wanted Jeongyeon to know her true feelings, it could’ve caused unwanted problems.

The younger was unsure if whether to deny it or be honest, she went with latter, not wanting to lie to her old friend. 

She figured she had already lied enough in the past, and now was no time to continue her streak. No matter what, she loved the short haired girl. She wanted nothing but to be honest about her feelings with her for once. 

She sighed deeply, “How long have you known?”

The short haired girl fiddled with her fingers, appearing to also be nervous. 

“I noticed it ever since Nayeon introduced me to you when we first became trainees, it was written so clearly in your eyes. I’m surprised Nayeon never noticed it, it was all I could focus on. I hated it.”

Jihyo’s mouth went agape, did Jeongyeon secretly hate her for being in love with Nayeon? The very thought made Jihyo’s heart quiver sadly.

“Why did you hate it?”

“I hated it because I knew that I was hurting you deeply, and I hated knowing I was the cause of your pain. Sometimes I wished that Nayeon would’ve fallen in love with you instead of me.”

Jihyo looked into the older’s eyes, watching a lone tear escape. She reached up and wiped it away using her thumb. Jeongyeon looked up from her hands, and met JIhyo’s eyes. Her eyes clouded with appreciation and hurt.

“Jeongyeon, don’t beat yourself up for it. I chose this path, and I’m gonna have to deal with it. The universe decided that this would be my path, so be it.”

Jeongyeon let a smile form.

“Besides, were family. I don’t want you to say sorry for something as silly as that, I love you okay? I don’t care if I’ve been hurting for years now, that isn’t something you should be sorry for, it’s all my doing.”

“I’m still sorry…but I love you too,’ The short haired girl mumbled, looking at her softly.

Yes, this was only Jihyo’s fight. 

The universe had presented a curse to her years ago, and she chose to not run away. 

She learned to lie because of it, and that the stars sometimes also lied. 

She learned that the universe showed absolutely no mercy when it came to love.

If fate said it couldn’t be, then it would never be.

Yet, she still continued to walk blindly along this path. 

Cause dammit, how could she fall out love with Im Nayeon when she couldn’t all those years ago?

At one point she gave up trying to fight fate. 

After all, this was written in the stars.