untitled2.

Secrets: The Crucifix

2. Under the moonlight.

Dongwoon had taken the day off and was in his own apartment, across Yoona's, studying a file that was sent to him in his email. His door remained opened so Yoona could come by if ever she needed to. A lot of people have mistek him for dating Yoona but he didn't mind the rumours at all.  He was a man who didn't mind to show his feelings to someone he likes and even if Yoona did not realize it. 

He was at his desk, with his glasses on, reading a project proposal which he had been carefully considering and his phone started to ring. Indeed as Yoona mentioned before, Dongwoon was a very busy person. He was the head of an IT company and himself, as the CEO with a degree in both computers and finance pay attention to not only the IT Department but also the finance sides of things. He still had to invest in different stock, projects in order to get something in return.

———

Meanwhile, Gikwang was silently staring at the board he just wrote on. Every details of that 8 years old case, titled: The Crucifix. What made this case so troublesome was the fact that even if the murderer bloodily paralyzed his/her victims by stabbing into their ligaments, there weren't any evidences left around the scene. And the victims were always pinned on the wall with nails pierced through their wrists and ankles. Behind the corpse was a pentagram drawn with the blood of the victim. Despite going on for 8 years, detectives could hardly link victims together nor the motives for killing. It leaves with one possibility. "A psychopath." Gikwang whispered under his breath. 

He continued to stare at the board and continued his thoughh process when his eyes landed on 2007. When the psychopath started his killing spree. There was indeed a pattern in this case, every month he wouldget himself a victim. Middle-class women. Black-hair. At their death they often wore a white dress. There weren't any reports on those victims' disappearances... "The culprit purposely chose those victims." He announced. For the last couple of months since he transferred to this station, he had been working on this case. And the main reason he was the head of the Severe Crime Unit was because his thoughts process was of the criminal's. Gikwang was a well-known detective from the UK and despite getting paid more there, he decided to trasnfer back to his home-country. For another reason than career-wise: Im Yoona. 

He snapped out of his thought process and turned to the computer on his desk. He thought for a bit before he went to his desk and typed in Yoona's name in the police system to search through her information. 

Earlier that day

"Excuse me." Gikwang said at the front desk after he came back into the building from chasing down after Yoona earlier. "I would like to know something concerning Im Yoona." 

"Sorry Sir, we are not allowed to disclose any personal information concerning a patient unless you have a warrant." The nurse kindly explained and he didn't push this further. But he still wondered what must have happened in 2007. When everything started to change. 

'An accident was reported under her name...' He noticed and the date of the accident attracted his attention. 'The same date as the last crime committed by the murderer in 2007.' He looked back up to the board and starting year 2011, there were 3 months of inactivity before his killing spree became frequent again. He looked back at the file, and wondered why it felt so strange. "I'm taking a big risk but... she might be a witness. Now I need the actual file of that accident. I have a feeling that someone has been trying to conceal the truth behind this accident. And if I dare... either the culprit is among the police force, or he has an ally here." Without wasting another second, he rushed to the storage floor to find that file again.

———

"You can't find the file?" Gikwang asked and the officer shook his head. 

Even if he wasn't right about the link between the Crucifix case and Yoona's, it was still strange that 1) the file disappeared, 2) the system did not contain the whole file's infromation and simply stopped at accident and closed file without the license plate, nor the verdict of the case, 3) that the police station had neglected this kind of mistake.

———

Yoona invited Dongwoon over knowing that he hadn't eaten yet. While he stretched, for having been sitting for too long, Yoona was quietly setting up the table until her brother returns. The phone suddenly rang at the same time as Dongwoon's cellphone and both of them went to pick up the call. "Oh, yes, Mother." He said and Yoona was receiving a call form her stepmother too. And seeing how the two of them were receiving a call from their mothers at this hour, they knew it was something they would want them to do. Something like attending an event together.

"Auntie." Yoona greeted kindly and asked how her stomach had been going on the past few days since she saw her. Their stepmother had always had a fragile stomach and sometimes would skip meals because it hurted. As they spoke about little stuff, Cho Hwanghye, the stepmother, jumped into the reason she was calling. "

"I had spoken with Dongwoon's mother and I would be very happy if you could attend an event with him. You know, since you are the only one with whom he would be willing to attend the event together. His mother would be as pleased as I am. You know how rumours went if he would have gone alone." Yoona thought about it for a bit and she understood where her stepmother was coming from. She also knew how rumours among people could spread, especially if some ahjummas started to gossip among them. She didn't mind going with him if he was to ask her about it. She wouldn't go if it was something forced upon them from their mothers. 

"Dongwoon-ah bring someone to that cocktail event. It would look better for you. You know what to do right?" 

"I will see mother. Don't worry."

The two hunged up and went back to do whatever they were doing before. He glanced at Yoona who seemed pretty calm and he knew that in order to invite her to go anywhere with him which involved socializing, there was only one way to do. It is to be direct and honest with her. "Yoona." He called after wondering for a little bit. "Do you wanna come to my cocktail event with me?" He asked and she lifted up her eyes to him. Slowly, innocently, graciously. Everything that could make a man fall. Yoona was someone who always remained calm no matter what happened. Maybe it was because she was studying in Psychology. She analyzed people's behaviours, its patterns, and so she definitely knew how to control her emotions. "If you don't want to go it is fine. I just wondered maybe it would be a great time to meet people. To go out for a bit.... And also... you know that society expect me to bring somoene...."

"Oppa. I will go with you. I don't mind going as long as you're fine going with me." Dongwoon smiled. 

"Then I will confirm our names on the list." 

Then the rustling sounds by the door made the two of them turned to the door. It was her brother. He sensed the atmosphere and forced a smile. "Am I... interrupting anything?" He asked and untied his tie and buttons on his shirt before comfortably sit down. "How was your checkup Yoona? Anything in particular?" He asked and turning to see his silent sister and Dongwoon's heavy expression, he knew it wasn't optimist.

———

He stared at his screen before his phone started to ring. "Yo." The voice greeted before Gikwang even spoke. "Breaking news." The voice said in a teasing way, but definitely knew that the subject he was about to bring up to Gikwang would surely attract his attention. There wasn't any doubts about it. He called first to announce it but also seond, to tease his friend about it. He after all wanted to have fun. Since young he had been a good friend with Gikwang. But who knew he'd become a detective. 

"What is it Yoon Doojoon?" Gikwang asked non-chalantly. "You're bothering me." He said and his best friend laughed. 

"Bothering you from what? From stalking your woman?" He was almost right. Wrong at the last part. Im Yoona wasn't his girlfriend. Nor was she. They could have been. But no. He was however stalking. Despite how many times he refained himself. Finally he gave in, and now he had a lead in that case. 1 stone 2 hits would be how he would describe the situation now. Wasn't that great? Gikwang stared at the picture on his screen. It was a new picture of Yoona. Probably her new ID picture or something. He noticed how much her features had developped for the past 8 years. Her voice seemed very distant now. He ouldn;t remember how her voice sounded. 

'What happened to us?' He thought.

"I know a way for you to meet her. And if you want confront her, ask her about what happened 8 years ago. Or confront her with you feelings. Whatever you want." He said and Gikwang could see the cheeky smile plastered on his friend's face. Annoying but he now had his full attention. Did he just mentioned that he would have a chance to meet her? "Boom." He heard Doojoon say on the other lane. "Mr. Detective seemed like sister-in-law is attending a cocktail event which your family and mine had been offered to go. Wsn't really interested until few minutes ago, the guest list had been updated. Im Yoona attending the event with her brother and... Son Dongwoon." He finished and Gikwang's expression darken. 

"Why is he going with her?" 

"No offense buddy but... you left for the UK for 8 years now. Of course it would be the childhood friend to take over your little spot."

"Yah Yoon Doojoon. You better shut up on that night."

"Great. So you're going. I pretty much would like to see how sister-in-law is and how this traitor is too." 

"You better not cause troubles."

Doojoon did not replied and simply confirmed their attendances just now. Now there was going to be something interesting happening on that night. He simply couldn't wait. "See you after tomorrow night."

After his friend hunged up, Gikwang had mixed feelings. He didn't know if he should be happy to be able to finally meet her again or he should be pissed at Yoona and Dongwoon. 8 years since they all spoke to each other. And 8 years of constant questionning. He was resolved to come up to her and face her. He needed answers and he also, despite all these mixed-feelings.. missed her. Right. As many people would say time healed wounds or feelings. This was something Gikwang knew would never leave him. He tried to forget about her for the past 8 years by dating different people but in the end, he had to cut off the relationship. He just couldn't do it. He couldn't love other people. And so by this, he drowned himself in work.

———

The higher society, a group of rich people who had too much money on their hands and too much time, contained different people. The ones who are smart and owns the business world. The ones who were born with money. The ones who married into the family of rich people. There are some who are great lawyers, doctors, and businessmen/women. Then there were also celebrities. It was simply a big range of people who attended the event. The top hotel of the city owned by one of the event's attendee. Food by the best chefs in the world. Wines, cocktails and food that easily cost several hundred thousand of dollars. And without forgetting the jewelries, brands that all those people wore on them. Designer brands. Limited editions. Those who woked there just felt poor seeing them. Cars that could cost millions. It was an insane place where people compete to show off how rich they were. 

Yoona wasn't someone with low self-esteem, but she also hated how people looked at her. The daughter of Im Kwonho, a lawyer who got into business, conquering other companies in the Insurance Industry. Now the company was under the care of her brother and stepmother. Still doing a great job than anyone would thought it would. Of course that was also the reaosn why she could live alone. Her brother could have his own condo. Their stemother and stepsister could be living in a mansion, on the mountain where they had all the views. 

Dongwoon helped her to her wheelchair and she thanked him for it. Her thanks were also meant for the dress he brought her. She wore a short dress, a white laced colored dress and laced sleeves, while her hair fell down a little lower than her shoulders' level. She didn't bother to put on too much makeup. She simply put on some lipstick to give more colours to her lips. 

"Don't worry. I will be always around. I will make sure you won't feel uncomfortable." He whispered to her ears as he put her down. She nodded. And replied. 

"Don't worry too much about me. I'm a grown up person afterall." She said and smiled. Under the moonlight, she was even prettier. She looked even paler and fragile than she already looked usually. Her eyes that reflected the light of the night simply projected sparkles when she smiled. He ruffled her hair before going into the reception hall.