One

See You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A car crash. It only took one accident to take everything Byulyi cherished the most. A day before Byulyi’s birthday when she and her girlfriend, Wheein, decided to spend their time together to celebrate the occasion the next day. Winter officially started and snow have littered the streets. Given the situation, Byulyi was careful with driving. The trip went smoothly. Byulyi and Wheein were even singing along to the songs played by the radio. 

 

Everything was smooth, until the car suddenly lurched forward. An overspeeding car lost its brakes resulting to a collision with Byulyi’s car. With this, Byulyi lost control. Panic were written on the couple’s faces as Byulyi tried to regain control, but it was too late. Their car collided to a electric post, and everything was black. 

 

The world was dark even until Byulyi knew she was awake. Byulyi was sufferring a mild vision loss due to the strong impact on her head, and was therefore diagnosed with ITON or indirect traumatic optic neuropathy. The doctor explained that there was really no immediate cure for ITON and that treatments and surgery were no assurance to bringing back Byulyi’s clear vision. Upon hearing about this, Byulyi felt more lifeless. She wanted to give up and just follow Wheein in paradise. 

 

It has been almost two months since the incident. Byulyi was already discharged from the hospital and was staying at her mother’s place. Byulyi was not the same old Byulyi her mother knew. She was quiet. She preferred to be more alone now. She’s just... not there anymore. Mrs. Moon and Byulyi often get into arguments because the latter does not want to continue her treatments anymore, saying that it was useless and she will be blind forever. But Mrs. Moon was not giving up. She believes that Byulyi’s vision will improve, and so will her life.

 

”Byul-ah. I’m going to the market for a while.” Mrs. Moon informed her daughter who was quietly sitting on her bed. “I’ll be really quick so if you need to do something, wait for me so I can assist you, okay?”

 

Mrs. Moon was only responded by silence. Byulyi did not even flinch. The sight of her daughter wallowed by sadness, hopelessness and grief over the death of her loved one crushes her heart. Mrs. Moon misses her cheerful and loud daughter so much and she was determined to bring her back whatever it takes. 

 

Before closing the door to Byulyi’s room, she muttered an ‘I love you’ loud enough for Byulyi to hear. Mrs. Moon bit back the tears that were threatening to fall as she head out of the house with another plan in mind.

 

✩✸✩

 

Byulyi was still. She was staring at the wall, or at least that was what she thought. Her vision was blurred and dark but she never stopped trying to make out of the shapes in her room. She tried then she was hopeless again. Byulyi wanted to just run away, but she just laughed at the thought the moment it even popped into her mind.

 

How could you run when you can’t even see where you’re heading to. 

 

Then her eyes welled. She let herself sink back into the comfort of her blanket and cried once again. She missed Wheein and she never wanted anything but to have her back and be with her again. But she also blamed herself for everything. There were so many

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter