Five.

Blossom Spring

5


Chae Soon.

I stare at Woohyun as she looks at Ae Soo. She takes a step back afraid of what’s happening at her. “Who are you?”

“I have asked the same question.” Woohyun replied. She gasps and I think she got the gist of what’s happening to her.

“Oh my god, did I really just-“

“Lord Igong!”

Woohyun turns and takes Ae Soo’s hand with him so I followed them. We end up in an empty room and it seems to be a storage room. I remember, I’ve been here before.

“You, tell me what are you? Are you a human?”

“I am. Aren’t you too?”

Woohyun chuckles. She holds a lock of Ae Soo’s hair and smiles. It’s been a first since I’ve seen him like this. The smile that I’ve been seeing is different from this right now. “It is my first that I have seen a human. Are they usually pretty like you?”

Ae Soo flushes at Woohyun’s remark. “Tell me, where am I? This place is different from my room. Am I dreaming?”

I only thought that I am the only one who thinks that this place is too good to be true but I guess that’s not the case anymore. “This is the realm of the deities. Perhaps did you accidentally traveled here?”

“Oh my god so that mirror is real?”

“Mirror? Are you perhaps a descendant of Yuhwa?”

“Yuhwa? Who’s that?” They both flinch at the sound of footsteps from outside. Woohyun pulled Ae Soo closer to him which makes Ae Soo flush even more.

“I cannot find him anywhere. Geez! Lord Igong!” That’s Sungyeol’s voice!

“This is bad. Do you know how can you return to your realm? Staying here would be dangerous. Humans are not allowed in here.”

“Uh, no... I accidentally got here you see.” Ae Soo chuckles. “Are you him? That Igong that he’s calling?”

“Indeed I am.”

“Hm... so you’re the one who tends the Garden of Life and Death huh?”

“You know who I am?” She smiles.

“Mm! My Mom tells me stories about deities and they’re interesting. So? How does that Garden of Life and Death looks like? Show me!” Ae Soo opens the door and runs outside. I didn’t expect that she’s a happy go lucky kind of girl.

“Ah wait!” Woohyun runs after her. Ae Soo stops running when she reaches the garden and enters it. “I asked you to wait human!” Woohyun catches his breath as he hold on his knees for support. I chuckle at his cuteness.

“Ae Soo.”

“What?”

“My name is Ae Soo. Just call me by that okay? It’s rude to just call me a human.” She giggles. Woohyun stands and smiles.

“You, did your mother not told you not to give your name so easily?”

“She did. But I know you’re not that kind of deity.” She chuckles and walked to the tree. “It’s winter but this tree is in bloom? Amazing.”

“There are no changing seasons in this garden. That tree holds the new life that rises in your world.”

“Is that so?” Ae Soo turns and looks at the flowers behind her. “What about these? Tell me about these!”

Woohyun laughs. “They’re the humans that still live on earth. And those ball of lights, they’re the humans that finished their lives and over there,” he points at the empty plots. “I decide who gets to be reincarnated and who gets to go to heaven.”

“Hm...” Woohyun puts on that sad look again and maybe he’s reminded of how painful his job was. “Why are you frowning?”

He forces a smile. “Nothing.”

Ae Soo reaches for his cheeks and pinched them playfully. “Are you upset because you’re in charge of taking their lives?” She chuckles. “You shouldn’t be! To tell you the truth, I heard that story before. How you tend this garden.” She lets go of Woohyun and crouched on the ground holding the lilies. “I know it’s a sad job but don’t you think it’s amazing? You get to see how people are born and how they grow their whole lives. And you make sure they get to the other side safely. Isn’t that just a nice job?”

Woohyun looks surprised by what she said and chuckles. What she said is completely different from what I said. She makes it look like that Woohyun’s job is amazing and now that I’ve thought about it, she has a point. Ae Soo’s really nice.

I gasp when the scenery changed and everything vanished. When I turn, I find myself in the palace halls. “Igong!” That voice, is it Ae Soo? I ran to where the voice came from and there she is. She’s holding a basket of fruits and. “Look! Sungyeol got me these and they’re really tasty! Here! Taste this apple!”

Woohyun took a bite from the apple and pats Ae Soo’s head. “Thank you.”

She smiled back and chuckles. She sat at the bench where Woohyun and I used to seat or rather, can I put it that way? Because she got there before me...

“I am not done yet Ae Soo. This might take a while before I can take you to the capital. You should go with Yuhwa and the others if you like. The festival will start in a few.”

She shakes her head and takes the grapes from her basket. “I’ll be fine. I told you that I’ll stay with you here right? And besides, I have this basket of fruits to finish.”

Woohyun chuckles. “Alright then.”

I watch as Woohyun works but each time he takes a glance at Ae Soo looking so happy, it feels like daggers piercing my heart until I am feeling like it’s being ripped. I want this to end but I keep seeing Ae Soo and Woohyun everywhere. How happy they are and how much he loves her.

“Where’d you got your name?” Ae Soo asks as Woohyun finishes getting dressed.

“Why ask that out of a blue?”

“I’m just curious.” They step out of Woohyun’s quarters and I followed them.

“It was just given to me.” He smiles and holds her hand. “If you would give me a name, what would it be?”

“Hm...” Ae Soo stops looking at the cherry blossom then back to Woohyun. “Woohyun, that’s what I’ll give you.”

Woohyun smiles. “That’s nice. Then I’ll let you call me that from now on. A name that you gave me.”

“Alright then! I’ll call you Woohyun from now on.”

Oh, so she gave it to him. The name Woohyun.. I wonder if the name that the others have.. did she gave it to them too?

“You both, aren’t you done taking your time? I thought we’re going to the festival!” Myungsoo?

“Oh! Myungsoo!” Ae Soo runs to him. “We’re just going to see you! Good timing!”

“I told you stop calling me that! I’m Koenegitto!”

“Your name’s so long! Myungsoo’s better.” Woohyun chuckles. Ae Soo runs pass through him with the flowers on her hand.

“Seriously, if only you’re not planning to ask her as your bride then I’ll just eat her!”

“Cut her some slack okay?” I freeze. Woohyun’s going to ask Ae Soo as his bride?

“Make sure you’ll ask her this time okay?! You’ve let too many chances pass through your fingers!”

Woohyun laughs. “I will.”

I clutch on my chest with the rising pain that I am feeling. I’m feeling weak again. What is this? Everything turned pitch black again and I guess I’m seeing another side of Woohyun and Ae Soo’s story. When I open my eyes, it’s night time and Ae Soo’s with Myungsoo and Yuhwa.

“You’ll melt that if you continue to stare Ae Soo.” Yuhwa laughs. Ae Soo smiles and holds her hand. I guess Woohyun already asked her to his bride this time huh?

“Tell me Yuhwa, what’s it like to be a wife of Sung Gyu? Is it fun?” Yuhwa smiles.

“It is, he really cares about me and I do too. But he gets overprotective sometimes,” Yuhwa chuckles. “But I like that about him, it makes me feel loved.”

“That’s nice. I envy that you’re both deities. I’m still thinking if this is the right thing to do. I mean I am a human. If somebody discovers that I am, it will be trouble. Woohyun might be thrown out if this realm- Ah!”

Myungsoo flicks her forehead glaring at her. “That won’t happen, all of us are here for you and for Igong. Everything will be okay.”

Ae Soo smiles nodding. They reach their way back to the palace and I saw Woohyun waiting. When he sees Ae Soo, he runs to her. “Ae Soo! You’ve come too late! I ask you not to wait until night time! If the scent pouch I gave to you fades they’ll found out that you’re human!”

Ae Soo smiles and holds his cheek. “I’m fine. You’re over thinking.”

He pulls her closer and hugged her tight. “I cannot lose my soon to be wife. That’s why.”

I wince at the pain. It’s back again and it hurts a lot compared earlier. It’s like my heart is being ripped and shredded. “Oh my god... it hurts..”

“Igong!” I turn seeing Dong Woo running towards their direction.

“Kimsuro.” “Dong Woo!” Ae Soo called. Dong Woo chuckles.

“I’m starting to get used to that name Ae Soo.” She smiles. Dong Woo puts on that serious look on his face and looks at Woohyun. “You have to take her away Igong. The gods have sensed there’s a human in our realm. They are going to the deities palaces one by one and I’m sure it will be no time before they reach yours.”

“What?! But how did they-“ Myungsoo turns sensing something. “They’re approaching. Let’s go.”

They ran leaving Dong Woo behind saying that he’ll stall him. “Yuhwa!” I gasp when I felt someone pass through me and I saw Sung Gyu. “This is dangerous! You can’t go alone!”

“But we have to help them Haemosu! They-“

“HALT! By the king’s order, you Igong, the deity of Life and Death, are ordered to see His Majesty this instant!” The guards? They manage to get here that fast? I turn to Ae Soo and she’s definitely worried about the situation. Woohyun yeilds his sword and pointed it at the guards

.“Ae Soo, stay behind me.”

“You can’t! Woohyun if you defy the King’s orders you’ll-“ he holds her hand and smiled. “Woohyun..”

“I’ll protect you Ae Soo. We have a wedding to go to tomorrow.” He holds his sword with his right hand and Ae Soo’s on the other. If this go on somebody might even get hurt!

“Woohyun..”

“Igong, you dare yield your sword at me the General? Are you siding with the human? You know what can be of a result when you do this do you?”

“Woohyun, let’s just-“ Woohyun’s grip on Ae Soo’s hand got tighter but what’s making me worry is Ae Soo.

“Igong, if you defy His Majesty’s order, you will be dethroned of your position and will be killed. Reincarnation is not an option! Now kill that woman at once! No human shall set foot in the realm of deities!”

I gasp. Will Woohyun kill her? Is that why she’s not around anymore? I turn looking at them and everyone is worried. Woohyun’s confused at what to do now that I look at him.

“Woohyun, go on, kill me.” Ae Soo said.

“Ae Soo!” She smiles and faces Woohyun with his sword. “Stop!”

“If they see that you kill me, they won’t take you as a traitor.”

“Ae Soo! Stupid! Move! Nobody will get killed!!” Myungsoo exclaimed and grabbed her but Ae Soo takes her hand back smiling at him.

“I’ll be fine Myungsoo.” She turns to the others then to Woohyun. “Geez, don’t look at me that way won’t you? Sung Gyu, come on, you should be mad at me right now! Oh? Yuhwa! Thank you for the dress that you prepared for tomorrow. It’s just a shame that I can’t wear it.”

“Stop it.” Woohyun whispered as he shakes. Ae Soo held his cheek and kissed his forehead. “Ae Soo..”

“Go on. It’ll be okay. I’ll see you again Woohyun. I love you so much. Don’t you forget that okay?” I gasp as Ae Soo grabs the other end of the sword and pointed it at her chest. Oh my god, will she do what I think she will?!

“No! Ae Soo don’t do it!!” I shouted.

“No,” Woohyun shakes his head no but Ae Soo’s not listening. How can she smile at this state?! “NO AE SOO! LET GO OF THE SWORD!!”

“I love you Woohyun.. I love you my Igong..” I shut my eyes closed when I heard a stab. Did she-

“AE SOO!!!!!!” I open my eyes and Ae Soo’s on the ground. Blood starts to cover the ground until it reaches my feet. I look at Woohyun and he’s dumbfounded with what happened.

“AE SOO!” Myungsoo ran to her and grabs her.

I can’t take anymore of this. Someone just get me out of here!!!!

Chae Soon....

That voice. I turn around and the next moment everything’s just pitch black again. My hands are starting to shake. I don’t know where I am. Please help me! Anyone!!

It’s okay Chae Soon. I’m here..

_____________________________________________________

Myungsoo.

“Chae Soon!” I call her because it’s seems like she’s having a nightmare. I managed to get the black mist off her but she’s still not yet waking up.

“Help..me..” she utters in her sleep. I hold her hand and kissed it.

“It’s okay Chae Soon, I’m here.” She gasps opening her eyes but I don’t think she’s fully awake. “Chae Soon? Are you okay?”

“Help me... It hurts..” tears are escaping from her eyes but I can’t see emotions in her. Chae Soon’s face is blank but she’s crying.

“Where?” She holds on her chest and more tears are escaping in her eyes. What the hell did she see in that dream of hers?

“He likes her.. he loves her a lot... I’m just a puppet bride... he doesn’t love me.. Ae Soo.. he loves her still.” I freeze. Did she see the past? “Help me... I don’t want it.. it’s too painful.. my chest hurts!!”

“Chae Soon!” She’s now gasping for some air and the black mist is coming back. “Chae Soon! Look at me! Hey!” She’s still crying and I barely managed to make her look at me. I lay her down on the bed and placed my hand on her forehead and make her sleep. I sigh and lay beside her holding her close to me.

_____________________________________________________

Chae Soon.

I open my eyes seeing an unfamiliar place so I got off the bed and headed out. I ran into Howon on my way out. “You’re awake.”

“Uh yeah. What happened?”

“Well-“

“Chae Soon!” Myungsoo appears running to me. “Are you okay?!”

I flush remembering what he said to me last time. “Uh, yes.. are you the one who helped me?”

Howon turn to Myungsoo and he seems to be gesturing something. Myungsoo doesn’t look good and sighed. “About that, Chae Soon, I think we need to talk.”

He takes my hand as we enter the room again. We both took a seat and he looks at me looking nervous. “Are you okay?”

“Do you remember what happened to you?”

“All I can remember is-“ I gasp. What was it that I’m doing again? “Wait, why did I go to underworld again?”

Myungsoo looks surprised. “What do you mean?”

“I remember getting there but,” I stop trying to remember what it is that I’m doing there.

“Do you remember who it is that you’re trying to save back there?”

“Who- I...I don’t know.”

“Do you remember him? Igong? Woohyun?” I stop for a while trying to remember the name and if it is familiar to me but I get nothing.

“No. No I don’t.”