blood red

An Omega Worth Fighting For

a/n: look who’s back to updating? I just had a tough week and I was busy making costume for my sis. Anyway this update is brought to you by Jaehyun’s showcase of his alpha prowess in idol room.

 

 

 

 

-----

 

 

Kun was walking Sicheng back to his room when the omega pouted at him. Kun knew the reason so he reassured the omega by holding his hand and kissing it.

 

 

“Why did you have to challenge Jaehyun?” Sicheng asked and Kun smiled at him.

 

 

“It’s better me than Soonyoung.” Kun replied and Sicheng sighed.

 

 

“You better be manly and fight my brother cleanly.” Sicheng puffed his cheeks making Kun laugh.

 

 

“Of course, wouldn’t want my future mate to think his alpha is lame.” Kun replied and Sicheng grinned hearing the claim from Kun. “Rest well Sicheng.” Kun bid him good night and the omega kissed his cheek and entered his room, Taeil and HAnsol following their charge.

 

 

---

 

“It’s late Prince Jaehyun.” Seokmin commented and Jaehyun looked up from his writing and smiled at his retainer.

 

 

“I am almost done Seokmin.” Jaehyun assured him and the omega sighed as he waited for his harge to finally finish what he was writing.

 

 

 

“Why would you hurry writing it?” Seokmin pointed to the manuscript and Jaehyun smiled at him.

 

 

 

“I wanted to give this to Doyoung as a gift.” Jaehyun smiled, a bit hopeful and it made Seokmin smile a bit bitterly.

 

 

 

“You really love him.” Seokmin commented and Jaehyun could only nod in response.

 

 

Jaehyun took a couple more minutes before he closed the manuscript and handed it to Seokmin for safe keeping. The retainer wrapped the manuscript in fleece and placed it inside the chest along with two more manuscripts that Jaehyun treasured so much. He then helped the prince get ready for bed.

 

 

 

---- 

 

 

Jaehyun took a deep breath as he faced Kun. The Kusarian prince wore a traditional warrior outfit similar to what Yuta wore in his challenge and the younger alpha had to acknowledge how dashing the prince looked, perfect for his younger twin brother.  Jaehyun wore the Muhanui colors on his clothes and gripped his sword tightly as they faced the  crowd. Taeyong and Sicheng along with their entourage wore the Muhanui colors as well and he was grateful Yuta allowed his mate to support his brother in such a way.

 

 

Both Kun and Jaehyun bowed to the monarchs and a neutral elder read of the rules and started the challenge. The two alphas bowed at each other and withdrew their swords, clashing it once to signal their readiness for the battle. A red flag was raised to signal the start of the battle and both alphas gauged each other for a few seconds before Jaehyun launched an attack.

 

 

Kun smiled and blocked of the attack, Jaehyun is powerful fighter with fast moves and heavy blows, but Kun isn’t too bad himself. He expertly blocked all progress and soon had launched powerful strikes of his own. The two alphas were evenly matched with how they attacked each other, and if by the sound of clashing metal is any proof, they had srely are giving it their all. Jaehyun found an opening after a while, so he turned his body and attacked on Kun’s blind spot, the blade grazing the prince’s left leg. Everyone held their breath but Kun just laughed it off, it definitely woken him up.

 

 

“You’re quite a fighter Jaehyun.” Kun said and as he did, he changed the way he held his sword and with precise moves, Kun charged and delivered powerful blows to Jaehyun.

 

 

The younger gritted his teeth as he tried to defend himself, but Kun’s prowess is not to be take lightly. He fought back, tried his best to defend himself and reverse the situation, but Kun had him wounded by his right side, and blood stained the pristine clothes of the younger.

 

 

They were evenly matched and Sicheng was biting his lips as Taeyong held him close; they are twins so he kind of felt what Jaehyun is feeling. Yuta had wrapped a protective arm around his mate but kept a stoic face as he watched his brother and brother-in-law fight for their chosen omegas. He knew how serious the two were, he too had been in that state a few weeks prior, and he knew that it will be all worth it for the two after they had claimed their rightful omega.

 

 

Doyoung looked on with dead eyes, he was not anticipating the result of the challenge, either way, it would not end well for him and he was sure that if Jaehyun lost, he would be pinned and guilt tripped to no end. But how can he accept that Jaehyun wanted him, when he himself doesn’t recognize his worth?

 

 

The two alphas were breathing heavily but neither wanted to back out, for their tribes and for their chosen omegas. Jaehyun held the sword tighter and launched another round of attack when they all heard a loud howl.

 

 

Everyone froze as a Yellow flag was raised to halt the challenge. Jaehyun was breathing hard as he looked at Kun, the alpha somehow narrowed his eyes, as if waiting for something to appear. Jaehyun looked at the direction of the older alpha’s eyes and he gasped as he saw a creature approach them. Kun gritted his teeth as the artic wolf made its presence known. The wolf had snow white fur but there was a distinct red on the tips of his tails and ears. He had been waiting for him, and the timing couldn’t be any more perfect than this. The creature growled as if challenging Kun and without a warning, he dashed towards the crowd. Kun snarled as he broke into a run while Sicheng stood there frozen, eyes fixed on the blood red ones of the creature.

 

 

 

“Aka!” Kun growled as he caught up with the wolf and with his sword, he had attacked the artic wolf.

 

 

The wolf dodge perfectly and howled once before it charged at the alpha whose eyes flashed red. Kun also charged at the wolf and with his practiced move, he had slashed the wolf’s neck as it leapt towards him. The wolf fell to the ground and Kun knelt to the ground and stuck his sword at the foot of the wolf as the blood drained from the creature, staining its white fur with blood red.

 

 

“Aka had recognized my mate.” Kun announced and soon, Sicheng was kneeling next to him and bowing his respect to the slain wolf.

 

 

 

“the challenge is a draw.” The elder announced and the crowd cheered. Joshua took the slain wolf and placed it on a cloth that Seungkwan brought in. Kun stood and offered a hand to Sicheng and they both followed the two towards the shrine; Taeil and Hansol followed after them as well.

 

 

Jaehyun looked at them with a small smile, how bittersweet it felt to watch his twin brother find his true mate. He then looked at the direction of Doyoung and he found the omega glaring at him before turning his back to return to the palace. Jaehyun sighed and sheathed his sword and made his way back towards his uarters, shoulders dropping as he took haggard steps. Vernonwas quick to aide him as Seokmin checked his wounds, he assured his retainer that he was fine.

 

 

“We’ll have Wonwoo check up on you.” He heard Yuta call out from behind and he nodded and thanked him.

 

 

----

 

 

The head shaman smiled as he saw the artic wolf being carried towards her temple. She bowed at the artic wolf before leading the way towards the shrine to have the body cleaned. Kun and Sicheng watched as she prayed over the slain animal and cleaned his body with purified water.

 

 

“You may see her now.” She said with a smile and she left them alone, their entourage waited for them outside.

 

 

Sicheng watched his alpha touch the wolf’s snout and Kun offered him a hand and a wide smile. Sicheng accepted the hand with a flustered smile. “Prince Sicheng of Muhanui, I am pleased to present to you Aka, my artic wolf.” Kun announced and Sicheng ran a hand on the wolf’s head.

 

 

“She looks so beautiful.” Sicheng remarked.

 

 

“She is, isn’t she?” Kun smiled fondly and Sicheng looked at his alpha with bright eyes. “You may have known the story, of our superstition, but I want to still tell it to you myself.” Kun held both of the omega’s hand and kissed them one at a time. “An artic wolf’s blood had been shed in recognition of my destined omega. Her blood is bound to protect us and to give us strength as partners, and as mates.” Kun paused and looked at the omega with warm eyes and gentle smile. ‘Are you willing to accept us?” Kun asked and Sicheng nodded, almost in tears as he felt the love Kun had for him. Kun slowly leant in and captured the omega’s lips into a chaste kiss.

 

 

Kun then took the dagger the shaman placed for them and pried the wolf’s fangs, cleaning each and tying it on a string. He then turned to the omega and offered the necklace, Sicheng bowed as he allowed the alpha to place the necklace around his neck.

 

 

“From now on, you are my omega, Prince Sicheng of Muhanui.” Kun said and Sicheng smiled and kissed his alpha on his lips.

 

 

He then took off his necklace and knelt in front of the alpha and offered it with both hands. The pendant was made of Jade and it bore Sicheng’s name in perfect pinyin. “I surrender my life to you as your omega, please accept my humble offering Prince Kun of Kusari.” Sicheng said and Kun took both hands and made the omega stand. He then lowered his head and Sicheng happily wore it on his alpha’s neck.

 

 

“I love you Sicheng.” Kun said and pulled the omega into another lip lock.

 

 

 

 

Everyone was waiting for Kun’s and Sicheng’s return, each buzzing with anticipation and delight for the second prince to find his mate. Taeyong approached Jaehyun who has changed into cleaner clothes and his wound patched up. “How are you feeling Jaehyun?” Taeyong asked and the alpha smiled at him, not as happy as he wanted to, but still a smile.

 

 

“I’m okay hyung.” Jaehyun replied but Taeyong knew that his brother was hurting.

 

 

Sicheng and Kun entered the hall and all eyes were trained on the two. Kun was leading the omega and as soon as they were in front of the leaders, they both knelt and showed their respect.

 

 

“The artic wolf Aka had chosen my mate, Omega Prince Sicheng of Muhanui. I, Alpha Prince Kun of Kusari, requests for your acknowledgement and blessing.” Kun spoke to his parents.

 

 

 

“Does Prince Sicheng of Muhanui agrees onhis own free will?” Kun’s father asked and Sicheng smiled and nodded. “Then we have no objection. We will send dowry to your parents and we now welcome you to our family.” The older alpha announced and Sicheng immediately rose to his feet and gave each a warm hug causing laughter from the two old couple. ‘Such an adorable omega.” Kun’s father remarked and Sicheng happily returned to his alpha’s side.

 

 

“Prince Jaehyun of Muhanui?” Yuta called out and the prince stepped forward and bowed at them. “The challenge ended in a draw, as challenge rules applies, you may have another challenge for the hand in marriage of Omega advisor Doyoung.” Yuta said and Jaehyun nodded.

 

 

“I concede to the challenge; a draw is not a win and I failed to prove my worth as an alpha. I accept my defeat and withdraws any stake or claim I may have imposed on Omega advisor Doyoung.” Jaehyun bowed and turned his back to return to his room.

 

 

Yuta accepted his decision and turned to Doyoung. “You’re free of claims.” He said for formality then walked towards Taeyong to talk to Jaehyun.

 

 

Doyoung bit his lip but never really revealed his feelings, was he relieved that Jaehyun conceded or was he disappointed that the alpha gave up on him? Maybe Jaehyun really saw how useless he was as an omega and he would not hold that against him, why would he when Jaehyun is perfect and bound for great things while he was someone who would just bring him down.

 

 

Jaehyun was sitting on his desk and writing on the parchment when Yuta and Taeyong entered his room. “Jaehyun.” Taeyong called out and the younger looked at his brother and smiled that never really got to his eyes. “You still had a chance to get Doyoung.” Taeyong explained but Jaehyun shook his head.

 

 

“He would never accept me. I would never be good enough for him and be considered as a mate. He would never love me back.” Jaehyun said and tears fell from his dark eyes.

 

Taeyong instantly enveloped his brother as Yuta kissed his mate’s temple and gave them space. Taeyong cradled his brother like a fragile baby, and the younger cried his eyes out.

 

 

“He looked at me like I was a disgusting criminal. Hyung did I do something wrong to receive such rejection?” Jaehyun asked and Taeyong shook his head.

 

 

 

“You didn’t do anything wrong Jaehyun, Doyoung may just be guarding himself. Omegas are often regarded as trophies, Doyoung may not want to be one.” Taeyong answered and Jaehyun cried even more.

 

 

“I really waned to mate with him.” Jaehyun cried even more. “I just feel lie a failure, seeing both my brothers mate off with the people they love and here I am being a pathetic loser who can’t even claim an omega.” Jaehyun confessed and Taeyong felt really bad for his brother.

 

 

“Don’t give up Jaehyun, I am sure you can have Doyoung see you as his mate.” Taeyong urged but Jaehyun shook his head.

 

 

“I don’t think I can handle another rejection hyung. I’ll resign myself to the council’s choice, it’s better this way.” Jaehyun then wiped his tears and smiled at Taeyong. “I’m sorry for ruining such a happy atmosphere.” Jaehyun said but Taeyong shook his head.

 

 

“You did nothing wrong Jaehyun.” Taeyong assured him.

 

 

----

 

Jaehyun did not attend dinner, he was convinced that he’ll just ruin the mood for everyone. Sicheng deserves his moment of happiness and he could not bear to have that taken away from him. Jungwoo handed Seokmin their dinner as Kun insisted and the retainer thanked the younger for his assistance. Jaehyun barely ate anything and it worried Seokmin.

 

 

“Jaehyun, are you okay?” Seokmin asked and Jaehyun sighed.

 

 

“Seokmin, can you burn the manuscripts?” Jaehyun asked and the retainer was surprised with the request.

 

 

“But you haven’t published the third book. You’ve worked hard to write it, why would you want to destroy it?” Seokmin asked and Jaehyun’s face turned somber.

 

 

 

“I wrote it for him. What’s the use of keeping it or publishing it when the person I wrote it for rejected me?” Jaehyun replied and Seokmin felt the deep pain of his retainer. “I don’t want a reminded of a heart ache.” Jeahyun said and Seokmin nodded.

 

 

“I understand. Rest well Jaehyun, I’ll take care of it.” Seokmin assured his charge and jAehyun thanked him sincerely.

 

 

Seokmin found himself inside the den facing a roaring fire pit. He looked at the leather-bound manuscripts and his heart sank, these were Jaehyun’s precious works, his outlet for his opinions and hope for an equal society. He knew how Jaenyun worked hard to write his ideals and to open the eyes of everyone to see the vision he had for the future, of a place where gender or status weren’t grounds for hierarchy. The first two books were written prior to meeting Doyoung and Jaehyun’s view of mating and societal hierarchy was idealistic, but the third one was more of a personal attachment, this was his story he wanted to share with Doyoung. And it really breaks the retainer’s heart to dispose of them.

 

 

“Are you planning an arson?” Seokmin heard a voice and it was Seungkwan, Doyoung’s retainer.  They never really had a great relationship, seeing that their charges aren’t the best of friends either.

 

 

 

‘No, Prince Jaehyun wanted these manuscripts destroyed.” Seokmin said and Seungkwan raised a brow and looked at the manuscripts.

 

 

“Oppressed lives?” Seungkwan gasped and then took the other two. “Freed but limited? These are rare and originally manuscripts cost a fortune.” Seungkwan gasped. “Chained but Limitless. Is this the third installment? Where did you get this? Does Prince Jaehyun knew who Yoonoh is to get this? It’s not yet published and Doyoung is really on the look out for this installment.” Seungkwan asked loudly and Seokmin let out a heavy sigh. “Why would Prince Jaehyun wanted to destroy this?” Seungkwan asked and Seokmin looked at Seungkwan with a tearful face. ‘Why are you crying?” Seungkwan asked and Seokmin tried his best to hold it in.

 

 

 

“It was supposed to be a gift for Doyoung-ssi.” Seokmin looked at the manuscripts once more. ‘My prince wanted to give him something special for their mating.” Seokmin answered.

 

 

“But he conceded.” Seungkwan pointed out.

 

 

 

“What’s the use of fighting for someone who won’t acknowledge you?” Seokmin asked and Seungkwan bit his lip and went silent. “Prince Jaehyun knows how to accept defeat, he’s not always right. He would consider other’s feelings and opinions before voicing out his own, he would sacrifice his life for people he loved and for his tribe. He is willing to let go than to confine someone to eternal suffering.” Seokmin explained.

 

 

“That sounded like Yoonoh-ssi’s main character.” Seungkwan mused and the gears in his head started to work. “Could it be?” Seungkwan asked and Seokmin could only smile at him sadly.

 

 

----  

 

 

Doyoung woke up due to the tapping on the glass he was hearing. He squinted at the window and found out that it was too dark for morning. The clicks on the glass still persisted and he found an bird tapping its beak on the glass door of the balcony. He opened the door and the bird swooped in and flew inside the room before dashing out into the night sky. Doyoung found it weird but when he looked out into the horizon, he could see figures leaving the castle. He paid no mind to them and soon returned to his bed to rest, completely oblivious to the chest that laid on his table and a gray feather sitting next to it

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: yes. A bit of angst because i had to do it. This was pretty mild compared to what I first imagined it to be. I guess I am pretty much drained that’s why.

 

 

Anyway, we are nearing the end of this fic so I hope everyone could buckle up and enjoy the rest of the ride.