Chapter 2

Think of You

Jaebum was racing towards Jinyoung body with Jackson close behind him; he should’ve known something was wrong. He quickly realized Jinyoung wasn’t behind him as he initially thought, but he had to stay with Jackson knowing once he drinks he would be doing the most reckless things. Being that they were on a boat, he feared that at some point Jackson would fall overboard; so he stay close by his side. 

Thankfully it seemed Jackson had similar thoughts so the guy actually only had one beer during the whole night. After half an hour without seeing Jinyoung, Jaebum leader instincts kicked in. Jackson assured that the guy was alright and was probably dancing with some random partner in the middle of the dance floor. But still Jaebum wanted to look for him just to make sure, Jackson sighed knowing Jaebum would bite his ear off if they didn’t look for him.

The two decided to split up since it was a large boat and agreed to met at the side deck of the boat whether they find Jinyoung or not. After searching throughout the whole boat interrupting and barging in on a few couples they couldn’t find him at all. Forty minutes later the two met at the side; it was obvious by their faces that neither had luck in finding him.

“Where could he be?” Jaebum panted looking at Jackson who looked just frazzled. 

“YOOOO did you see that guy that jumped off the boat!” A drunk man said bumping into Jackson, and the Hong Kong native could tell the guy had way too much to drink. 

“What guy?” Jaebum asked and Jackson gave him a look but he ignored him and focused on the drunk guy who was staring into his empty cup. “What guy?” he said louder

“Um-hiccup- a guy with dark hair and-hiccup-a blue sweater and glasses” the guy replied

Jackson gasped, Jaebum took a step back; he immediately took Jackson hand and ran towards the control room demanding the captain to turn back to the docks. Jaebum and Jackson both ran at the boat entrance waiting for it to port. Looking out Jaebum spotted a laid body farther down on the docks. He saw something large by it but he was unsure as to what it could possibly be and choose to pay attention to the body itself.

“Omg please don’t tell that’s who I think it is!” Jackson screamed running his hand through his hair. 

Jaebum started to breath heavily, “We don’t know yet” and he kept repeating that it seemed it was more to himself than to Jackson. Before the boat could be tied up, both Jaebum and Jackson ran to where they saw the body. “JINYOUNG! JINYOUNG!”

Jinyoung gasped at what he saw, not registering his friends running towards him. Jaebum dropped on his left and Jackson on his right checking him over, making sure there were no injuries. 

“Jinyoungie what happened?!” Jaebum yelled

Jinyoung ignored his question and pointed, “Look” he whispered, turning their head to the water, they saw a tail of some aquatic animal out on the surface before disappearing in the ocean.

The two gave a confused look at their friend, “We should take him to the hospital” Jaebum said and Jackson nodded. They lifted Jinyoung and carried him back to the car, laying him down on the backseat; Jaebum quickly drove off with Jackson guiding to the nearest hospital. It didn’t take long before they found themselves at the hospital and Jackson and Jaebum quickly entered in while carrying Jinyoung who was still a stunned state. 

The nurse quickly admitted Jinyoung and it wasn’t long before a doctor saw him,“Your friend is very lucky, his body temperature suggest he was in the water for at least 30 minutes. However we strangely didn’t find a lot of liquids in his lungs or stomach that you would find in people that have fallen in water.” The doctor said 

“So what happened to him?” Jackson asked looking between both the doctor and Jinyoung.

“I was hoping you would tell me, from what you told the nurse your friend was conscious when you found him, yet dripping wet?” The doctor asked

Jaebum nodded, “We don’t know what happened in the time between, only Jinyoung does but he’s been like…” waving his hand towards Jinyoung who was sitting still and staring off into an empty space, “That”

The doctor walked up to Jinyoung pulling out a vial from his pocket. He twisted it open and waved it in front of Jinyoung nose; Jinyoung blinked slowly before jumping back on the hospital bed and frowning at both the doctor and his surroundings. 

“Where am I?” Jinyoung asked looking around

“You’re in a hospital, your friends brought you here” the doctor said gesturing towards Jaebum and Jackson; Jackson smiled at him and waved while Jaebum walked up to him.

“Jinyoungie what happened?” He asked

Jinyoung blinked, “I-I walked out on the deck and I was leaning on the railings. I looked out and I thought I saw something in the water” he began

“You mean a fish?” Jackson deadpanned while raising one eyebrow 

“No it wasn’t a fish you idiot” Jinyoung frowned and Jackson pouted and looked at Jaebum; Jinyoung gave a look that said ‘you deserve it’ “It looked like hair but it moved differently and when the lights shined over it, it looked like it was attached to something shiny.” Jinyoung continued “It would disappear for a moment but reappear again somewhere else, and I was drunk so stupid me leaned over to see it closer and that when I slipped and fell.”

“So instead of getting back on the boat you swam to shore?” Jaebum asked

“No I couldn’t, my leg it was tangled in some seaweed I think” Jinyoung replied shaking his head. The doctor lifted the sheet by Jinyoung leg and looked at ankles, there he saw red lines around it; revealing that he was telling the truth. “I couldn’t pull away from it and whatever it was, was pulling me down. The last thing I remember was trying to swim to the top and after that it’s a blur.”

“So how did you get to shore?” Jackson asked

Jinyoung shrugged till a memory came to him, “Wait I remember hearing you guys call for me and seeing a blonde haired guy before he disappear.”

“A blonde guy? There was no one around you” Jackson said but Jaebum wasn’t too sure, could that be what he saw near Jinyoung? It didn’t look normal and if he saved Jinyoung life why didn’t he stay?

“Did you see where he disappear to?” The doctor asked

“The ocean” Jinyoung replied staring off into space

“What?” Jackson, Jaebum and the doctor asked at the same time.

“He jumped into the ocean and I don’t think he’s human” Jinyoung sighed

“Then what is he?” The doctor asked looking a little concerned.

“A merman, he had a long blueish-green tail” Jinyoung smiled

The room was silent for a moment before the the doctor made a motion for the two to come outside the room with him, “He saw a merman?” Jackson harshly whispered

“Probably a hallucination, he has a high blood alcohol level and was most likely unconscious so can led him to have a hallucination. His mind is probably trying to make sense out it and this is the best conclusion his mind can make up” the doctor explained

“Okay but a merman?” Jackson asked again crossing his arms

“Wait Jackson-ah remember from before Jinyoung was pointing to animal in ocean, maybe he’s confused the person who saved him with the animal.” Jaebum suggested

“An animal?” The doctor asked

“Yeah maybe a dolphin or some other marine life with a tail” Jaebum said

“How long or big do you think it was?” The doctor asked

“It was huge yet slender going down and kinda scaly like fish scales but that’s all we saw” Jackson said, Jaebum was in awe, he didn’t even remember that much detail to the tail his focus was entirely on Jinyoung.

“Why do you asked?” Jaebum wondered after thinking about all the questions the doctors asked

“Well I was gonna do some exercise to break him out of the hallucination but it might be harder than I thought.” The doctor began and the boys tilted their heads in confusion, “From what you just describe to me, there is no mammal like that here in South Korea, at least not to my knowledge. The water is to cold for the larger dolphins to come out and the cold-water mammals have much smaller tails. Also no mammal have scales on their tails.”

“How-” Jaebum began

“I fish on the weekends” the doctor shrugged

“So whatever Jinyoung saw was either something that has yet to be discovered or he saw a-” Jackson began

“Don’t” Jaebum interrupted, “They don’t exist; you heard the doctor he’s suffering from a hallucination.”

“So what do we do now?” Jackson said asking the doctor

“Well you could just go along with it” the doctor suggested and walked away

“Is he serious?” Jaebum scoffed crossing his arms.

“Well I think we should do it, I mean come on Jaebum the guy almost drowned. Whoever that person was that saved Jinyoung didn’t stick around so if he wants to think his savior is a merman then let him. Eventually he see that it was a crazy idea.” Jackson suggested

“Okay but what if he find the actual person or mistake a blond-haired guy for him?” Jaebum questioned, raising an eyebrow.

Jackson scratched the back of his head, “Um well, let’s cross that bridge when we get to it.” he smiled and walked into Jinyoung hospital room. Jaebum sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose and followed after Jackson.