Epilogue

I Have Company

    Hongbin and Taekwoon sat in the shade of a large tree in the park near Hongbin’s house. Hongbin was sitting with his back against the tree, silently reading a book. Taekwoon was laying down, his head pillowed on Hongbin’s thighs as he took a nap. One of Hongbin’s hands was playing with Taekwoon’s hair. After a little while, Taekwoon’s eyelids fluttered open, and he let out a little groan as he stretched his arms out a bit. Hongbin smiled down at him. “Good morning sleepyhead. How was your nap?” Taekwoon sat up before he scooched his way next to Hongbin. “It was good. Wonshik visited me in my dream again.” Hongbin chuckled. “Yeah he has a habit of doing that.” Taekwoon smiled before resting his head against Hongbin’s shoulder. “Can you believe it’s been a year since he left?” Taekwoon said as he looked up at the sunny sky above them. Hongbin closed his book slowly. “Yeah. Time sure flies huh? It feels like it was just yesterday you were drunkenly calling me ‘Pretty Binnie’.” Taekwoon smacked Hongbin hard on the arm for the comment. “Can you please just let me live that down?” Hongbin pretended to think for a minute. “Hmmm nah. It’s too funny.” Taekwoon pouted and huffed at Hongbin. Hongbin only responded with a chuckle and a quick peck to Taekwoon’s lips. Taekwoon smiled shyly before giving Hongbin a peck of his own. Hongbin smiled and looked at his watch. “I’d hate to ruin the mood but we’d better get going if we want to make it to Hakyeon’s in time for dinner.” Hongbin helped Taekwoon off the ground and they walked hand in hand to Hakyeon’s house.

 

    Once they got through the door of Hakyeon’s house, the man refused to lock his doors on Sunday evenings, Hongbin and Taekwoon were greeted with the sight of Hakyeon and Sanghyuk bickering over dance styles while Jaehwan was cackling in the background of the animated discussion. Once Hakyeon noticed Taekwoon and Hongbin the argument stopped and dinner began. They had made a tradition of gathering at Hakyeon’s house on Sunday nights to enjoy dinner after he joined their little group. Dinner was lively, with work stories and Hongbin’s tales of the spirits he crossed over that week. At the end of dinner Hakyeon took all the dishes to the sink and returned from the kitchen with a small cake. “I heard Taekwoon’s birthday is today, so I thought we could have some cake to celebrate. I hope you like strawberry shortcake, it’s the only cake I know how to make from scratch.” The cake was placed in front of Taekwoon, and the candles were lit. Hongbin held Taekwoon’s hand as he made his wish and blew out the candles. “What did you wish for?” Jaehwan immediately asked. “Can’t tell.” Taekwoon answered before cutting the cake. Later in the night, when Hongbin and Taekwoon were home and laying in bed Hongbin asked the same question.

 

“Why would I wish for anything when I have you?”