It's Gonna Be Alright

Angels Can't Love Demons

 

         

 

It was night time with a full moon, the milky white glow came through the sheer curtains over the window in front of me. It was a Friday, and you know how that usually works out. Staying up after curfew. My parents were very strict christains who wouldn't let me out after 5 p.m, but I was smart and sometimes went out to sit near the river we had in the back yard. Tonight was a very lazy night, since I've been studying all this week for this one test, that I aced. My mother was nagging at me to get a good grade on it because this test was practically like 3 project grades. When we got back the tests almost everyone was crying and regretting their lives, my friend Hyungwon was crying to me about his parents practically killing him. The door opened making me snap out of my little daydream, baby girl my dog had opened the door, she had always done this ever since she was really young. She was a pure Leonberger dog, I loved how cuddly she is, but also hate how much she sheads. The door opened again making me turn my attention to my father who looked concerned, his wrinkles made it hard to tell if he was actually concerned.

"Son, you're moving in with you grandparents, your mother and I have to take care of somethings..personally, make sure to wake up early since you don't want to miss your flight, we already have the whole school thing covered. You'll be staying at your grandparents for 10 or more years, I'm sorry son." I stared at him dumbfounded on what had just left his mouth, my heart sank to my stomach while the thoughts of moving starting eating at me harshly.

"F-father...you're kidding me? Right?" Trying to prove that what he just said was wrong, but he just nodded his head guiltily.

"No, I'm not kidding with you-." He stopped before finishing his sentence when my mother poked her head through the door behind him, her sweet smile faded as she noticed tears were falling down my cheeks.

"Ronald! What did you say?!" She pushed him out of the doorway and quickly walked towards me with her arms outstretched for me, I started questioning if they were getting a divorce, but just shrugged it off.

"It's okay, momma's here for you." The scent of straberries filled my notrils making me feel at ease from the familiar scent, I remembered how when I was really young she would hold me after she took a shower, making the scent of strawberries very strong. Looking over her shoulder I spotted my father glaring at her with hatred, my heart cracked with the sight. My mother kissed my cheek and pulled away with a soft smile that calmed me down a little, her thumb smoothingly wiped away the tears.

"Whatever your father just said, ignore it and let me say it in a better way for you honey." Her hand layed lightly on my thigh and her other on my cheek as she blocked my father from my view.

"We're going through some difficulties and I-we don't want you to experience it, so I want you to move in with my mother and father. You've never met them before and I know this might be very difficult for you, but you will come visit us every holiday. Yes, I know it might be awhile before you move back with us perminantly, but you can call us whenever." It was true, I was gonna move in with people I never met in my life. What's gotten between them too? Why have they been acting so distant recently? Biting at my question I leaned slightly over to get a glimpse of my father, but he wasn't there. My mother was more understanding than my father, she would always sit down with me and explain some things that my father would say to me, since he was the more cold and hard to understand type. I still wondered why they even got married in the first place, that was one question they never answered and it was starting to get me worried after awhile from the silence and ignoring the question whenever I brang it up.

"Mom, can I ask you something?" Planting my hand on my lap I stare into her eyes looking for an answer.

"Of course honey." She hesitated a little making me second think about asking her about what has going on between her and father.

"A-are you getting a divorce with dad?" My heart was racing fast in my throat making me start thinking of living with divorced parents, having that label as I continue with my life. She opened slightly, but quickly closed it and looked down at my hand. She grabbed my hand and tightly squeezed it, I knew the answer truly. It would always roam around my head as I saw my father not coming to breakfast, sleeping on the couch, and not having a real conversation with my mother.

"Promise me you won't tell anyone." In response my throat had tightened and sweat fell down my back, what was she about to say that I can't tell anyone? She grabbed both of my hands while taking me back out of my thoughts.

"Y-yes I promise..with my heart and soul." Biting down on my tongue she nodded and her face quickly turned serious and stern.

"Your father and I were forced to get married, I never loved him and he never loved me back. I-I want a divorce, but don't want you to go through that whole divorced label floating around you. So I wanted to spend time with your father, one on one so we can form a bond without having to think of another person. And trust me when I say I love you so very much Minhyuk, your father does too. I will do all I can to get closer with your father so you can have two parents supporting you. Sadly, your father and I can't be there when you leave to the airport. We have a business meeting that's very important, I'll leave money on your desk so you can have extra cash on you for food and a taxi, but I know for certain someone's gonna be picking you up. Now, don't tell anyone what I just told you, okay? Alright, I trust you. Goodnight baby, I love you." She kissed me one more time before leaving the room with me staring shockingly at the wall, she was forced in marriage? I never wouldn've thought that for once, and to think they never loved eachother was surprising. Baby girl jumped on the bed and layed her head on my lap while a faint grunt came from her since that's how she gets people's attention. Looking down at her I pouted and started to cry while holding her head against my chest, this was probably the worst thing that could happen to me and it was on a Friday, the best day of the week. Now I'm probably gonna hate this day from now on, baby girl the tears from my face and I started crying more because I'm not gonna see her anymore.

"Baby girl, I'm not gonna see you for awhile." The door opened quickly making me flinch, looking upterror and panicness covered my mother's face. Her breathing was heavy as she leaned against the door frame, I instantly had the though of my father and jolted up from the bed, running towards her I grasp her in my arms.

"What's wrong, did something happen to dad-"

"He's...not responding..in the kitchen...his eues are open..but not blinking..." She fell limpless in my arms making me almost lose my balance, quickly lifting her up I place her on the bed and darted to the kitchen. She was right, tears fell down my face as my eyes stared at my father who was laying lifeless on the kitchen floor. Covering my mouth I kneel done to him and noticed that his eyes were indeed wide open, ever thought went blank. A few minutes past with me just pinching myself making sure I wasn't dreaming, but it was the truth. Finally getting up I quickly ran to the phone and dialed 911, my throat was dry from the amount of screaming. After 5 minutes or so the ambulance had came and quickly took him to the ER, I decided not to go since my mother was unconscious on my bed and I didn't want to leave her. A small part of me felt relieved because they didn't say he was dead or put him in one of those black duffle bags. I had a bad headache from crying too much and my throat was dry, I felt emotionless from the amount of pain I went through only in the span of 2 hours. Knowing that I'm moving with my grandmother tomorrow, leaving my mother practically as a widow and not seeing them again for probably 2 months or more. The floor boards creaked catching my attention, turning around hopelessy it was my mother. She gazed at me sadly stopping in her tracks, nodding with letting her know she fell to her knees while holding her face in her hands. Quickly making it to her side I embrace her and gently ran my hand through her hair, seeing her cry always hurt me. She whimpered and wraped her arms around my neck and breathed in heavily, I was ready for the questions.

"W-what happened to h-him?" She kept her head on my shoulder as her hand grasped at my arm.

"He was taken by the ambulance to the ER...they didn't say he was died so that might be a good sign, we should go see him." Lifting her up into my arms, she surprisingly didn't fight back. Shuting the door to her room where I put her down to get dressed, I walked to my own with baby girl nagging at my leg. I stopped before my door and petted her slowly, letting my hand smooth down her soft coat. She could probably tell that I was sad, like how she knew when I cut myself and I was trying to hide it from my parents since I went out after curfew when they were sleeping. Closing the door behind me she jumped on the bed and placed her head on her paws while keeping her eye on me, I walked slowly to the mirror and stared at myself for a good 2 minutes. My hair was messy and my face was wet from the tears, crust laid stiffly on my eyelashes and my lips were chapped. I looked like a complete mess, quickly rearraging myself I brushed my hair. Grabbing the jar of face cream I quickly splattered it on my face while still thinking of if my father was dead or alive, why would this happen to me? I never did anything bad to deserve this, maybe sneaked out to the river after curfew, but that's all. Tears were intimidating me, but I quickly blinked them away as a sudden knock broke the silence. The door opened and my mother walked in, leaving the door open. She had a dress on and her hair was brushed in a perfect smooth bun, I could tell that she had cried before entering my room since her eyes were puffy and red.

"I'll drive." Walking towards her I place my hand firmly on her back and lead her out to the car, she got in the passenger side and I quickly opened the door for baby girl. Entering the car I glanced over at mother to see if she was okay, but a tear had fallen from her left eye. My heart ached as I pulled out and entered the highway, the car ride was silent with faint wheeps coming from my mother. Placing a hand on her thigh, she slowly glanced back at me.

"Mom, it's gonna be okay. Dad is gonna be alive on that hospital bed, you just need to believe and have faith." I felt stupid for saying that because I was thinking the opposite, dad was probably dead and mom was gonna be a widow, all alone as I'm in Thai with her parents. Mother had told me they lived in Thai when I was really young, I remember that day so clearly. I had came back from pre-school and I was coloring, mother was siting next to me as dad was at work. That day in school the teacher had asked us to ask our parents about their parents, I was still little so I thought it was cool that my mom had a dad and mom. Warmth faintly filled my heart as my mother started ranting about how her mother used to cook delicious cookies and teach her how to garden, I was sitting there as the 5 year old laughing and smiling as I colored the race car with a large green crayon, my mother had to help me grip the crayon since my hands were so small. Stopping in front of the hospital I park in the closest spot, and quickly got out while opening the door for baby girl. Grabbing onto the leash I turn back to my mother who was only a few inches behind, she pulled her jacket over he and walked quickly to the entrance. Following behind her we went through the security, we sat in the waiting room as people threw glances at baby girl and smiled sweetly when I locked eyes with them. A woman came from double doors and looked down at her clip board.

"Minhyuk and Lily, please follow me."