Chapter 1

Odd One Out
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jeongyeon’s POV

If someone asks me what do I want to do with my life probably my answer will always be the same, make money that is for sure. And if someone tells me that money don't bring happiness, well I can say that is the most bull words I have ever heard. You can't survive without money in this kind of world and I can prove that.

 

So when my friend asked me have I ever thought of quitting my current job I could only say, "Heck, no way!"

 

"But why? As far as I know your job is crappy. You always have to meet project deadline so what, I guess sleeping 4 hours a day is a luxury for you. Don't even make me start on how you are required to always be on standby in case something happened with that damn system," she barked back and I couldn't retort since she was actually saying the truth.

 

I have been working for EZ software house since I graduated from college and just like my friend said the job was crappy and I never loved it, but of course the thought of quitting this high paying job had never occurred to my mind. 

 

"It worth the pay so why should I quit?" I answered and she sighed as she threw aside the book she had been reading. I looked around and noticed that some people were staring at us.

 

"Nayeon-ah, we're still in the library so let's keep it down, okay?" I said with a hushed voice. Nayeon pouted her lips as she took back her book and she put it inside her bag instead of opening it.

 

"Are you already finished?" I asked. The reason why we were here in the first place was because she wanted to finish her book report and asked me to accompany her, so I was a little relieved thinking that I might still have time to catch some sleep.

 

"No, but I'm no longer in the mood for this. Let's just hit the bar," she said before standing up from her seat and her sour expression prevented me to decline her invitation.

 

So we organized our belongings and put back all the books we took before we checked out of the library. I was going for the bus terminal when she suddenly grabbed my arm.

 

"This way Jeongyeon-ah," she said as she pulled me towards the parking area.

 

"I brought my car today," she continued and before I noticed it I was already sitting at her passenger seat.

 

"When did you buy this?"

 

"My parents bought it for my last birthday," she answered shortly while still trying to get her car out of the parking space and I got the feeling that it was going to be a long ride.

 

"That means last Friday and how long have you been driving?" I asked as I pinched my nose bridge trying to ease the pain I slowly felt in my eyes.

 

"Hmm, since Friday?" she answered and she let out a giggle.

 

"Well I don't want to die yet, so I guess meet you at the usual?" I said and reached out for the door but she was faster to lock the door before I could open it.

 

"No way! I need you to watch out the road for me," she said before finally succeeding in getting her car out of the small space.

 

Just as I thought the ride turned out to be one of the most terrifying moments I've ever experienced even more than my first roller coaster ride. As I kept thinking that I should not trust the person behind the wheel, I could not bring myself to blink during the whole ride and maybe that's why the pain I felt in my head were gradually increased along the ride. When we arrived at the bar I was already in the verge of vomiting all of my meals that day but thankfully we managed to arrive without any scratch, that is if we excluded my well being.

 

I took a deep breath once I got out of Nayeon's car trying to calm my beating heart while Nayeon stared at me apologetically. She gestured towards the bar and I nodded my head before I followed right behind her into the bar thinking that maybe alcohol surely would help.

 

Once inside the bar we took our usual seats and in no time we were greeted by Donghae who was the bar owner. "Should I bring your usual?" he asked with the usual business smile plastered on his face.

 

“Yes please,” Nayeon answered while flashing him her most refreshing smile and she kept on staring at him even until he disappeared behind the counter.

 

“Stop staring, your eyes might fall out,” I waved my hand right in front of her face and she turned her face towards me sheepishly.

 

“I was not staring, I was appreciating the most beautiful person on earth,” she said with some much confidence like it was just another fact.

 

“Anyway, back to the topic. I really don’t like you working there, they treated you like their slave. Do you know how worried I was this morning? I thought someone hit you in the eyes,” she said while annoyingly gesturing around my eyes. 

 

“I know my dark circles are getting worse these days but they’re not that bad,” I said as I tried to look at my own reflection in the window.

 

“They were that bad,” she said and she frowned when I turned my face towards her.

 

“I know they pay you well but if you include psychological damages in your expenses, I don’t think the pay is enough,” she continued.

 

“But the thing is I never feel stressed because of my works. So if I say the psychological damage is zero then the pay is still that great,” I said and she raised her eyebrows in confusion.

 

“But I’m sure your parents and Seungyeon unnie must be worried sic

Please log in to read the full chapter