Seventeen

Heartwarming Photographs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     With the lonely café illuminating the dimmed streets, neither of the two chose the former option between speaking up or keeping their jaws at rest. 

     Right in the middle of the establishment, the awkward pursing of lips with the inclusion of expressionless faces produced the unwanted silence with the thought of exchanging arguments objecting against their own will. Jeongyeon suffered the most here; simply helping the suspect escape from the situated victim already sent a consequence to the upcoming revelations.

     Sweat coursed across their foreheads; the air conditioning unit reached its curfew. Although, no one bothered to wipe it off, thinking the simple action would cause the end of reflections regarding the recent happenings.

     It was obvious that the two ladies were hesitant. Leaning their backs, crossing their arms and legs, releasing sighs to drop the heavy atmosphere— they keep track of those subtle movements. Momo executed those actions for the umpteenth time already, in resemblance to searching for a good sleeping position due to the countless times of annoyance one still position can bring.

     Jeongyeon's eyes were laid on the table. Her index finger tapping her foreskin; impatience visible with the continuous meddling. Slouching against the seat, Momo wanted to retreat. The unfathomable environment covered the situation to its unpredictable extent. 

     The two individuals anticipated for the right time— the time to begin the discussion. However, both were extremely comfortable in the position they are in currently, so the thought of anticipation escaped from the back of their minds.

     "How are you going to approach her?"

     Jeongyeon couldn't bear it any longer, so she voiced out the lingering question that will take responsibility for the following discussion. Momo heard it, of course, but the same expression of downcast eyes with parted lips chose to stay right where they are.

     "I don't think I can."

     "You can't hide forever."

     Momo tilts her head to the side. She squints, pursing her lips. With the silence ever so loud, she could hear the rustling leaves outside with the wind blowing against. Jeongyeon could hear it, too, but she managed to operate her hearing to Momo's eventual counter.

     "I'm aware," she slowly acknowledged.

     Soon, the rustling lowered down. The wind lightened, and the silence increased. Jeongyeon had to endure the condition, for she knows Momo wouldn't allow sudden outbursts that could cause unwanted debates. 

     Even so the rules were settled, Momo was in the same boat. The grudge began to evolve in the form of her fists tightly clenching, just like the way she wrapped Jeongyeon's hand in the arm wrestling earlier. Without further warning, she fumed, "All my regrets were held inside that damn USB. I can't believe myself for having the audacity to even do that. I had the choice to give it or not, and yet, I was stubborn to the point that I broke our ing friendship because of a stupid accusation!"

     Jeongyeon was taken aback; she didn't expect Momo to act this way. Those specific lines tossed a reminder that the former's original statements were stolen by the latter without giving a hint. Jeongyeon had to say it, but Momo went ahead.

     She had the option to agree, since it was initially her role to reprimand the younger, but instead, she scoffed, "It's been years already, for heaven's sake. You can't take your friendship back if you keep bringing it up. If you want to have her back, then act! Don't just sob about some matter that isn't even your fault in the first place!"

     Much to anyone's dismay, silence occupied the area, again.

     Calculations were made when Jeongyeon captured the undefined countenance Momo wore. With her eyebrows furrowed, Momo was actually restraining herself from expressing her emotions. She couldn't be that expressive in the first meeting after a very long time of absence in her friends' daily lives, so it was necessary to play upbeat and mischievous the moment she appears right in front of their sight.

     Since the atmosphere was transitioning from awkward to uncomfortable, Jeongyeon cleared . She swallowed a few seconds before she can claim, "You lied."

     Momo raised her head, releasing a faint smile. She figured what Jeongyeon meant, so no objections were raised.

     "You didn't return because your sister asked you to manage a dance studio in Seoul."

     No false in her words.

     "You didn't return because another unit is ahead of yours."

     No false in her words.

     "You didn't return because you need to settle things here in Korea."

     No false— no. Momo snickered, immediately doubting her skills in telling a lie. She was oblivious to Jeongyeon's way of thinking; she forgot about it. And now, the latter is challenging her. At fault, is Momo's obliviousness.

     "You're being too harsh, Jeong."

     "Elaborate the word settle."

     A scoff was all it takes to measure Momo's plead for escape. It was a sign of avoidance to Jeongyeon's challenge, a challenge she never coveted. She kept using her unannounced arrival as an excuse, but now, options A, B, and C are up to no avail. The remaining option is to actually speak the truth, the truth she planned to keep for the longest time.

     "Just to let you know, what I said before was true. But then again, you're right, those tiny aggravations are nowhere near the reason why I returned."

     Momo lean

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter