The Three-Legged Lion

The Trouble With Destiny

The Gumiho Queen did not see them immediately. According to Jin, she saw people at her convenience or not at all, and it didn’t suit her to see them just then. Instead, after they had been bowed into the palace by what looked like a thousand functionaries, they deviated from the main course to one of the pavilions dedicated to governmental functions. It was smaller and less grand than the main palace, of course, with blue slate tiles contrasting against the falling autumn foliage, and the wood of the deck and the entranceway was pristinely waxed and polished.

 

Jimin cautiously kicked his shoes off at the doorway behind Jin, who wandered in as if he knew the place well. Following him wasn’t an issue. He kept his gaze down and bowed every time he saw someone, listening to the continual litany of introductions as well as he could. Some of the titles were quite strange, and some of the folk inhabiting them stranger still, like the radish-spirit from Japan that had a post overseeing farming. His hyung seemed very popular, always stopping with a smile on his handsome face, so their progress was slow.

 

Fifteen minutes later, coming to a posh section of hard wood corridor ringing with the sound of strange music, Jin held out a hand for him to pause. His hyung tilted his head to the sound of the music, frowning faintly. It was thunderous, really, like standing under a waterfall, and he wondered why he hadn’t heard it even outside.

 

“It’s an overseas song,” Jin explained. “Western classical music, but a modern twist? The Moonlight Sonata’s third movement? Namjoon-ah must be in a strange mood today.”

 

Jimin barely had the chance to mouth ‘Namjoon-ah’ at himself before a set of double doors at the end of the corridor slid open and the music spilled out louder, majestically so. From the suite beyond came a creature equally as magnificent: its body was shaped like a lion, but with amber scales replacing the fur it should have had, making it look armoured. It had a single twisted horn like a kirin on its forehead. It looked wise and all-powerful, but its golden eyes were gentle in contrast, gentle and wise.

 

He felt the power radiate off the being, and the vibrations of it reminded him of something familiar. Instead of trying to remember, he dipped into a bow instead. Whatever, whoever it was, was definitely way out of his league, and knew the power of a good entrance.

 

“Namjoon-ah,” Jin said at his side, voice peculiarly fond. “Would you mind pulling on your human form? I’d like to introduce my new apprentice to you.”

 

So shocked that he blinked sideways, Jimin missed the transformation in the face of the warm glow in his chest. Apprentice. I’m his apprentice? He barely managed to jerk his head back as an invisible bell sounded.

 

The man in costly robes that knelt on the parquetry had a rounder face than he was used to after seeing Jin’s sculpted profile, but the same gentle warmth in the haetae’s eyes was in the man’s now brown ones, and a smile curved his lips as he dipped his head. “As commanded, so do I obey,” he said in a deep, smooth voice that held more than a hint of teasing.

 

Jimin watched, fascinated and wide-eyed, as Jin coloured a little and clicked his tongue. The man – Namjoon? – remained kneeling before him just a fraction too long before he stood, plucking his robes straight. He was quite tall and slender, with just a hint of strength in his posture, though the bright colour of his hanbok and the embroideries hinted at a high-ranking individual.

 

“Jimin-ah, this is Kim Namjoon, who fancies himself very clever,” Jin introduced with ears still a little pink. “He’s the court sorcerer, and you’ve encountered his work before, warding the compound. He’s also a rascal and the clumsiest person I know, so don’t be too impressed. Namjoon-ah, this is Park Jimin, a young man that recently moved in with me. I’m overseeing his training, which is partly why I brought him to meet you.”

 

Does he… do they like each other? Is this what is meant by flirting? Jimin, fascinated despite himself about the smiles and blushing, only remembered to bow seconds later as Namjoon transferred his warm gaze to him. “Namjoon-naeuri,” he greeted as politely as he knew how. “It is an honour to meet you.”

 

Namjoon padded closer curiously, ignoring Jin’s eye-roll. “An apprentice? This is wonderful, hyung, I know you’ve been searching for one! Jimin-ah, let’s not be formal, okay? Just call me hyung as well, I get enough of titles on court occasions.”

 

Jimin bowed again, shy and overwhelmed.

 

“Aish, he’s too polite,” Jin said above his head, but he sounded proud. “Namjoon-ah, is there a chance of tea or coffee in your chambers?” He paused. “That is, a drink that was made by someone else and conveyed to you? I don’t trust you not to serve us dirty water, and Jimin-ah is already quiet enough without you poisoning him as well.”

 

Namjoon spluttered but did not argue. Instead, in the span of moments, he had waved them into his quarters, installed Jin on his finest pillow and Jimin just a little behind him.

 

The office, such as it was, looked as if something had exploded in it. There were scrolls, books and what looked like tablets all over, with the occasional piece of stone or papyrus stuck into the gaps left by heftier tomes. There was a large suit of armour in one corner, intricately decorated but quite obviously used. One wall had a display of ancient weapons, and the fourth was given to a large set of translucent paper windows, which gentled the sunlight to something delicate and beautiful. If it hadn’t been for the objects of power in it, each of which radiated its own little aura, it would have reminded Jimin very much of a well-read priest's office.

 

As it was, all the tiny auras gave him a bit of a ringing headache, and he had to squint past them to see straight.

 

“Namjoon-ah,” Jin said distantly. “Can you mute things in here a little bit? He’s very sensitive to auras.”

 

Moments later a cool touch rippled over Jimin’s perceptions, muting the cacophony, and he looked up gratefully, smiling shyly. “Thank you, hyung,” he said earnestly.

 

“Coffee!” Jin decided before Namjoon could do more than give him a smile that had deep dimples in it.

 

Jimin casually moved his hands to tuck beneath his legs to fight the power of those dimples – he wanted to poke his fingers inside to see if they really were as bottomless as they looked.

 

Namjoon’s smile just grew deeper, as if he had the power to read minds.

 

Jimin, frantically suspicious, shot his gaze up to look the haetae in the eyes, and blushed deeply at the wink that came.

 

I don’t often read minds, Jimin-ah, Namjoon’s voice rippled in his mind. But you’re thinking very clearly right now. Don’t worry, I’ll add shielding to the training list Jin-hyung is already compiling.

 

Jimin’s blush only deepened, and he jerked his attention back to the verbal conversation, in time to hear Jin inquire after a hell-beast of some sort.

 

“He’s fine,” Namjoon said as he tilted his head to listen. “Very restless, very bored, but then I can’t really blame him, you know, what with the situation as it is.”

 

Jin opened his mouth to complain, but was interrupted by the sound of the doors opening. A young sparrow-spirit maiden came in, bearing a tray, which she sat down at his elbow as if she knew that he’d be pouring like the eomma he sometimes reminded Jimin of. Silence reigned until she left.

 

“Anticipating my drinks choices now, Namjoon-ah?” Jin asked as he poked at the tray with a tiny smile. “Either the servants are ultra-quick today, or you ordered this when you felt me down at the gate. Is this… hm, this smells like kopi luwak. Responsibly sourced?”

 

“Only the best for our Jin, and yes. Of course. Unfortunately the La Hacienda supplier was out.”

 

Jimin watched the to-and-fro with suspicious delight, especially when Jin sighed happily and brought the cup of coffee to his nose. He didn’t have any idea what it was, but the rich, bitter-smelling beverage seemed to be transporting his hyung into discreet raptures. “Excuse me… what is kopi luwak?”

 

Jin put the cup down and prepared what looked like a delicate measure of green-coloured tea, handing it to Namjoon. “It’s a very rare type of coffee,” he answered Jimin. “It’s made from coffee beans which are eaten by civets. Their digestive process changes the beans, which are later collected when they’re eliminated naturally.”

 

Jimin struggled to understand. He understood all the words separately, but collectively they didn’t make much sense. “You’re drinking beans that an animal, er, pooped out?” he asked incredulously. “Really?”

 

“Namjoon-ah is drinking panda tea, which is fertilised with panda dung,” Jin said blandly.

 

Holy dharmic hells, this place is crazy, Jimin thought.

 

Namjoon burst out laughing, saluting him with the cup of tea. “Ah, I like you, Jimin-ah, I really do. Welcome to the family!”


  1. Finally Namjoon enters the story! We find out that he is a haetae, which is the Korean version of a Xiezhi, if you want to learn more about them. They’re said to be protectors of Seoul, and though the article doesn’t list anything beyond a love for law and order, I added in a few things to make him more interesting. I credit the explanation for his natural clumsiness to the late, great Terry Pratchett's idea, in which a creature becomes confused about how many legs it has and falls over almost immediately.
  2. A traditional Korean house is called a hanok and first appeared around the fourteenth century. Whilst not a hanok per se, the Fox Queen’s palace is also constructed accordingly and in concordance with the principle of baesanimsu, with a mountain to the back of the house and a river flowing in front of it.
  3. The piece of music that is playing is this one.