The Price of Secrets

Haunted

Yoohyeon straightened her posture as Sua wiped a couple of stray tears from her eyes.

"So that's what happened...?" she murmured. "He really did force himself on you." 

She laughed lightly. "I had never seen that side of him before," she said. "I thought I knew him, but at that moment? He was a complete stranger." 

Yoohyeon sighed. "What happened next?" she inquired. 

"When Taekwoon strolled through the door, I was beside myself," Sua continued. "I'd already been afraid of him walking in on us and hating me forever, but now, he was going to see me beside a dead body. I was sure he was going to just hand me over to the cops."

"But...?"

"But then I noticed he wasn't himself. There seemed to be a difference in his eyes, like he was somewhere else at the moment. He didn't even respond when I had curiously touched him."

"So he was sleepwalking," Yoohyeon murmured. Well, another question answered. 

"I don't have much recollection of what I did next," Sua admitted. "All I remember is seeing that he wasn't in his normal state and noticing that my hand had left blood stains on his shirt."

The blood on his body. Another question answered.

"All I could remember was seeing those blood stains on his shirt, and I don't know where the idea came from, but I put the knife in his hand and sat him next to the body."

Yoohyeon raised an eyebrow. "Honestly, I don't blame you," she said. "But it is strange that you'd think your own boyfriend was capable of murder, you know?"

Sua grinned. "I know," she said. "It's hard to forget that. Trust me, I've been trying to for the last fifty years." 

"So what happened next?"

"I left him there and made my exit. No one saw me, of course. I went home, where I washed up as much as possible. But my father was still able to see a couple of drops of blood that had gotten onto my shirt. I was forced to confess to everything, to my dating Taekwoon, to the affair with Jaehwan, to the murder, everything."

"Did your father disown you?" Yoohyeon wondered.

Sua shook her head. "On the contrary," she said. "He loved me so much he was willing to risk it all. He had the shirt I was wearing burned, started pulling contacts, told me under no circumstances was I to confess, ever. He had my name changed, and had my ties cut with the family before calling on a cousin of his who lived abroad in order to send me there."

Yoohyeon whistled low. "Your father was very thorough," she praised. "Until I realized that you might have changed your name, I couldn't find you at all. It was like you had fallen off the face of the earth." 

Sua sighed. "Well, I didn't ever come back after I left though," she said sadly. "Not even for my parents' funerals." 

Yoohyeon stayed quiet before speaking up again. "There's one thing I still don't understand," she said. "You got your name changed in December 1968, right?"

"That's right," Sua agreed. 

"Why did you visit Taekwoon?" Yoohyeon asked.

Sua's eyes widened. "How did you know?"

"I checked the records," Yoohyeon said. "There was only one visitor on December 17, you, for Jung Taekwoon." 

Sua sighed deeply, a sigh that carried with it a lot of weight. "Yes, I visited Taekwoon that day," she admitted. 

"Why?"

"Because I was leaving the next day and I wanted to see him just once before I left." 

Yoohyeon looked at her and she scoffed. "Don't look at me like that," Sua protested. "Just because I wasn't in love with him doesn't mean he wasn't dear to me. I hated what I had done to him since that day." She hung her head as tears welled up in her eyes. "I just wanted to talk to him one last time." 

"What did you talk about?"

"I told him how I was leaving and never coming back," Sua recalled. "But...no matter what I did...I couldn't apologize to him..."

"Did he say anything?"

Sua shook her head. "He cried though, not loudly, but I saw the tears on his face," she said. "When I was about to leave, he grabbed my sleeve and begged me not to go."

"What did you do?"

"What does it look like? I pried myself from his grip and left, of course." 

Yoohyeon in a breath. "Yeah, that makes a lot of sense," she murmured.

"What do you mean?" Sua inquired. 

"Taekwoon? He killed himself that day, after you left."

Sua's eyes widened. "What?" she asked. "Killed himself?"

Yoohyeon nodded. "He was a model patient," she said. "But around ten days prior to your visit, he stopped taking his medications, started storing them, in fact. Then on December 17, he took around ten days worth of high intensity medication."

Sua closed her eyes tightly, trying not to imagine it. "So...in the end...I killed him too..." 

Yooyeon took a deep breath. "And...it kind of...had a...ripple effect with the other guys as well."

Sua looked at her. "The others? You mean...?"

"Once Taekwoon died, the other three went into hysterics trying to prove his innocence. Hakyeon...was the first one to go...in a very similar way seven months later, by overdosing on sleeping pills."

Sua pursed her lips. "He was always the closest to him," she whispered lightly. "He always followed him like a little lost puppy. Didn't think he'd follow him into death as well."

Yoohyeon nodded. "Wonshik and Hongbin devoted the rest of their lives to making his death not be in vain, but in the end? Wonshik became an alcoholic and it killed him. Hongbin died in a car crash, the last one still standing."

Sua let out a shaky breath. "I-I'm responsible for it all," she said as more tears rolled down her cheeks. "All of them, all three of them...they were innocent. They didn't have to suffer too."

Yoohyeon stayed silent. How was she to comfort an old lady practically bawling her eyes out? She also had to remember that this was the same person who was able to frame someone else in a panic, and also could not bring herself to apologize when faced with the boy whose life she ruined. 

Sua sighed, wiping the moisture off her face. "Thank you for coming," she told Yoohyeon. "I was scared at first, but I feel strangely relieved."

Yoohyeon smiled softly. "Carrying a burden for fifty years is too long a time," she said. "I'm glad you were able to relieve it because of me." 

"What will you do now?" Sua asked.

Yoohyeon shrugged. "I don't know," she admitted. "I thought I'd know once I met you. Perhaps I'd hand you over to the authorities, but now...I'm not so sure." She looked down. "I can't destroy someone's life like that."

Sua smiled, placing a hand on the head of the younger. "Don't think of it like that," she said softly, echoing the younger's words. "I think you should give me a choice in the matter as well."

Yoohyeon looked up at her. "What do you want to do?"

Sua took a deep breath. "Sitting here...talking to you like this...it's given me a new perspective on things," she said. "I've spent fifty years afraid that someone would find out about me and what would happen. Now that it's actually happened...I feel...free."

"You're not thinking about doing what I think you're going to do, are you?" Yoohyeon narrowed her eyes.

Sua smiled. "My life hasn't been all rainbows and strawberries either," she said.

"What do you mean?"

Sua laughed, leaning her head back. "I have...three ex-husbands. My daughter and son cut ties with me, similar to how I cut ties with my own parents. I couldn't hold a job on my own and had to resort to marrying rich men who could provide for me." She looked back down. "I keep thinking about it, you know? How I had two perfectly wonderful men showering me with all their love, and what did I do? I killed one of them, and ruined the other's life." 

The older woman sighed deeply. "Since that day, my life has been ruined as well. I became a caricature of the person I wanted to be. I became that person who looked at how much a man was worth before committing, because I could never get past that incident enough to be able to stand on my own feet. My own children...they hate me. I'm lucky if they even call me once in a couple of months."

She looked up, her eyes moistening. "Seeing how my life's gone, I feel like I should have confessed a long time ago. Perhaps everything that's happened to me is nothing but karma."

"But are you sure?" Yoohyeon asked. "You don't need to do anything. I can burn the file-"

"Don't!" Sua cut her off, making her jump. "Don't burn it. Submit it."

"You want to be taken into custody?" 

Sua shook her head. "I'm going to do something I should have done a long, long time ago." She grinned a little. "Well, my life has been terrible so far. What else can go wrong? It's better for me to stand trial for my crimes, so that at least I can rest easy once my time comes."

Yoohyeon felt her eyes water as Sua turned to her, patting her head. "You have a lot of potential, you know that, little detective?" she said. "Live your life well, and if you find a man you truly love, never let him go, till your dying day." 

Yoohyeon nodded. "I-I will." She felt like she was choking up. 

"So, Kim Bora," Yoohyeon said. "Are you ready to stand trial for your crimes?"

Sua nodded.

"I'm ready as I'll ever be."