The Training

Hotel Gamble

JUNHOE POV

“Do you know the reason why Junhoe is asking for this meeting?” “Your guess can only be as good as mine.”

The conference room is full of buzz even before Song and I entered the room, that’s why I was not even shocked that all eyes of the directors are on us as soon as the door opened. I usually am very confident in facing these oldies but for some reason, my hands are all clammy and sweaty. Is the air-conditioning of the Hotel now malfunctioning? I should ask Song to have those checked.

“Uijangnim, you have to address the start of the meeting” Song informed me as he broke me out of my trance.

“Right, sorry ‘bout that! Thanks Secretary Song.” I expressed my gratitude as I cleared my throat.

“Good morning everyone.” I opened the meeting. “You are all probably wondering why I requested for this meeting. First, I would like to inform you that we have just recently closed a deal with the representative from YG Entertainment. Therefore, our hotel will be busy organizing their yearly GALA for the coming months.”

Hesitant claps and congratulatory greetings filled the room. ‘How can they be so obvious that they don’t trust me at all? Hayyyyysss! Well, to be them!’ I looked at Song and saw how hard he was trying to hide his proud smile. After a very pregnant pause, I continued ‘slapping the face’ of these mighty directors.

“Secondly, it is no news for you that the reputation of our Hotel was greatly damaged after the issue regarding our former General Manager, this has been a continuous struggle for us to earn the trust of investors and even guest back to us.” I recited lengthily. “And so, it is with great delight that I announced the We, The TOP Hotel has managed to have someone reliable to aid us with the over-all management of the hotel.”

Whispers and questions started to swirl within the four-walls of the room after I have announced the news. All are wondering who I am pertaining to. But as soon as the doors of the room opened, loud gasped are very audible. Now I cannot hide my haughty smile and so I decided to follow these arrogant elders and looked at the new comer. However, I can literally feel my jaws dropped as I saw the guy who is wearing a simple black suit with a white long sleeve with a pink accent on its collars. ‘WOW!!! He looks like an anime character!!!!’ No wonder they are gasping for air. I was still admiring the beauty that has just entered when I felt Song tapping my shoulder in a very heavy manner. I was so ready to snarl at him when I realized that the fairy is also looking at me. Heat started creeping on my cheeks as I saw him chuckling silently. This is embarrassing.

“Ehhhem! Eehrr….. So, Ladies and Gents, I would like to introduce to all of you, Mr. Kim Jinhwan, the new General Manager of TOP Hotel.”

“It’s my pleasure being acquainted to you all, Kim Jinhwan-inmida.” Jinhwan greeted everyone. “I’ll be under you guidance.”

**************

“Thank you for coming under a short notice, Jinhwan-sssi.” Song said as we entered my office.

I guess it is only right that Song initiated the conversation because up until now, I still cannot believe how fairytale-like Jinhwan looks. I mean, he literally looked like a royal prince that you can only read in books and I just cannot as in CANNOT take my eyes off him, I mean HOWWWWWW?!

“You’re welcome. Besides, there is no need to thank me Yunhyeong.” Jinhwan smiled. “Also, can you drop the honorifics, its kinda bothering me? Just call me Hyung, same goes to you June.”

“Uhmmmm….Yeah….. Sure….. Hyung.” I blushed. I mentally slapped myself as I looked onto my feet! ‘Why am I being so awkward!!!!?? This is so not me’. It’s like am a teenage girl talking to his crush and what’s with him calling by my nickname.

I can hear Song and Jinhwan chuckling and giggling on my reaction.

“Ahhhh…. By the way, June. Your training starts tomorrow.” Jinhwan informed me as he stood up and made his way to the door which made me a bit…..I don’t know…..sad?

“Remember Uijangnim, I really hate slackers. See you!” he bid his farewell while blowing a kiss at me and winking at me. Let me tell you he really blew me a kiss! A F**KING KISS!!!! I just died!

“Still breathing?’ Song teased me. “You want me to call 911 just to be sure?”

“Arrrgggghhh! Stop that Song! It’s not funny.” I complained. I mean how can my mini heart attacks funny?

“It is actually funny my dear friend. I never seen you so flustered.” Song giggled. “Is your heart raising when Jinhwan hyung smiles?” he cooed

“W-w-w-hat a-a-are you talking about? Of course not! That guy is a pathological flirt!” I profusely denied. Of course I will not even in a million years admit that my heart did feel like it had just finished a 200Km marathon or something, Yeah! I know it’s an exaggeration but that how I am feeling so leave me be. The point is I willnot give Yunhyeong that pleasureof me admitting that he is right.

“Kidding aside, you need to rest June. Tomorrow is the start of your training and I’m pretty sure it will be a very hectic day for you.” Song explained.

“Wait! Does it mean you will not come with us?” I asked surprisingly.

“Nope! It is your personal training after all. Besides, I still need to finalize the contract with YG and finish the documents needed for Jinhwan-hyung’s transitions.”

“Fine!!!! Go!!!! Leave your best friend alone!!!!” I fake cry, making it more dramatic. However, as expected, Song did not buy it and left me lying in the couch. Guess I need to prepare….PHYSICALLY, MENTALLY, AND MOST ESPECIALLY EMOTIONALLY because that small fairy is no joke. Whatever he is doing, it is not good for my health, or my heart. I sighed and decided to let my consciousness be taken away to lalaland.

**************

"Junhoe, I would like you to meet Ms. Chaerin Lee. She is the Director of Operations of your hotel. In short, she oversees the operation of the hotel starting from the Front desk, the Room Services, etc.....hmmmm..... let's just say, she's the one that trains almost all of the staff here." Jinhwan introduced the scary looking lady in front ofme. Not to be judgemental but she is wearing some thick eyeliner I mean how can you not get scared.

"Mr. Choi. It’s a pleasure to train you about the ins and outs of our operations."Chaerin said as she extended her hands for a shake. "Jinani told me you are earger to work on anything. I am very happy to here your desire to learn the business."

"Ahh. Yeah! I will be under your guidance." I accepted her hand shake as I bow low as a sig of respect.

"Ahhhh. For your work, kindly change to this uniform. Your expensive suit is not appropriate for what you will be doing." Ms. Chaerin strictly explained which baffled me.

Uniforms? Work that I am doing? Am I missing something? So much questions started swirling in my head. So I decided to gather my courage and ask the two individuals in front of me.

"Uhmmm. Excuse me. Are'nt we just going to have a tour on each deprtments as you explain to me the function ofeach?" I asked but I was utterly offended as Jinhwan hyung and Chaerin laughed like I have asked something non-sense. I frowned. Yup. Like a Big BABY! I know that! I made sre they noticed it because to be totally honest, I was really really upset at how the laughed at me like I am some kind of an idiot.

"Sorry for laughing at you Junhoe-yah. We just found it hilarious. You know your question." Jinhwan explained."I guess it is my fault for not clarifying it to you." Jinhwan then cleared his throat and explained further.

"You see Junhoe, in order for you to know how your business works, you need to know how to work behind the scenes." heexpounded, however I am still lost on what he actually means until Chaerin-shii made it clear at a cold manner.....well, at least from the way I heard it. "You will be working from bottom up. Meaning, you will work as a room service attendant, as a front desk officer, waiter, reservation agent, valet attendant and such."

"Anyways, I will now leave you under noona's hands. I need to meet with the other managers and go over some financial documents. Jinhwan excuse himself which made me sulk a little. Just a little ok. I mean, I was hoping he will be the one overseeing my training, not some scary ahjumma.But then, JInhwan stopped from walking and looked back at us, I will be lying if I would say that I was hoping he actually changed his mind and decided that he will be the one training me but I guess I hoped too much when he actually reminded me of something that is entirely different! Hayssssss! "Ah. I forgot! You are not allowed to tell the rest of the staff that you are the Chairman, arraso!" That's it.....This training will be the death of me.'

But it seemed like that Jinhwan is indeed a fairy or probably a mind reader because the next thing I know, he is in front of my my arms to comfort me. I don't know if I should be happy about this or not. I mean, my heart started malfunctioning again.

"Himnaeyo. Chaerin noona may look scary but she is very kind hearted. Also, I promise to reward you after work. Arrachi?" Jinhwan encouraged me.

I don't know why but those words of his made me feel all giddy inside. How can he be so sweet and gentle, and beautiful, and....and.......WAIT!!!! Why do I have to include that he is beautiful?! Ahhhhhh! Anyways, all I can do right now is blush like a teenage boy and nod. Jinhwan smiled losing his eyes as it made those little cute cresents and patted my head and left.However, even before I could regulate my heartbeat again, Chaerin-shI told me to start changing so that I could start my work. I sighed for the umpth time as I remebered what Yunhyeong said yesterday.

"Its seems like you're an angel Song. Looks like I will be really busy today. Huuuuhhh."

**************

JINHWAN POV

I left Junhoe at Chaerin noona's care as I still need to accustom myself with the financial standing of the hotel, afterall, all my movement as is General Manager will depend on how the hotel is currently fairing financially.

Suddenly, a noticed very familiar face that made me smile instantly.

"How are you doing Jinani-hyung?" greeted cheerfully by the newcomer.

"Donggu-ah!!! What are you doing here?" I asked as I hugged him.

"Well, a giant informed me that you got out of your cave and decided to become a prince again." he commented playfully that made me roll my eyes. “As a very kind-hearted friend, I am here to offer my assistance."

"I don't know dong-dong. I am not in-charge with the staffing that is not related to the Hotel."

"But I am." Someone butted in our conversation who happened to be Song Yunhyeong who is now smiling rather a bit overly bright. "If this fine gentleman wants to assist you, he can work as your secretary. We are still looking for someone to fill that position."

I am surprised with the kind of atmosphere I’m stuck in. These two are being shameless in front of me, and when I say shameless….I mean, literally flirting with each other with just eye contact. The nerves of these two. Whoooooo. So since I am in the mood, I decided to cut these disgustingly eye-kiss fest of these two guys.

"By the way, Yunhyeongie, This is my best friend Kim Donghyuk. A graduate of S University."

"Dong-dong, This is Song Yunhyeong, the trusted secretary of the interim Chairman of TOP Hotels." I introduced the two who are now shaking each others hand a bit too long. Talk about an awkward situation for me. Sighing, I broke their exchange of eye-hearts.

"Well....It’s nice to see that you two are getting along, but I kinda need to review some finances and event proposals, so I will have to excuse myself. Anyway, Yunhyeong here can help you process all the needed documents to have you as my official secretary." I informed Donghyuk as I make my way to my office.

Unfortunately, my steps are again being halted as I saw someone struggling with handling one of the customers in the cafe. 'So pretty boy's first duty is a waiter and he's already in trouble.' I smirked. I opt to observe first what is happening before rescuing the damsel in distress. Don't get me wrong, he is IN TRAINING....so I cannot just jumped in there and save his .

"I specifically asked for an iced latte and you gave me what? Do you know what "ICE" means? It means cold." ranted by the guest.

"I'm sorry ma'am, but I am pretty sure I did not hear you say that you are requesting for an "ICED" latte but a cup of cafe latte which pretty much means a warm coffee, so I think you owe this fellow an apology." Junhoe defended the other waiter who was obviously shaken.

So he is not the person involved huh....I can't help but smile on how Junhoe defended the waiter. Who would have thought that this guy have some sense of justice in his blood. "Interesting."

But what occured next is what shocked me because the guest was obviously caught lying had decided to cover her embarassment to anger, stood up and poured the warm cup of latte to Junhoe's head. Junhoe on the other hand was so surprised to even react.

"I guess I have to step in now" I told myself as I made my way towards the unfolding scene. I can already see how the young Chairman clutches his hands into a ball as he tries to calm himself. Whooooooooo. I exhaled as I came closer to the commotion.

"Good Day Miss, What seems to be the problem here?" I asked the irate customer.

"And who you may be?!" proudly asked by the guest which made me groan internally as the lady looked at me from head to toe before realization hit her and recognition sparked in her eyes.

"Kim Jinhwan-shi? You're Kim Jinhwan are'nt you?" the lady asked excitedly.

'HOHOHOH.....So she is respectful if it will benefit her huh.' I commented silently. "Yes M'lady. I am  indeed Kim Jinhwan at your service. Is  there a problem here? Is my staff bothering you?" I asked politely because even if this girl is rude as , she is still a guest.

"Oppa, your staffs are idiots. I ordered for an iced latte and they gave me a warm one." complained the lady with a touch of aegyo, disgusting, I know. "He even threaten me, so I have to protect myself." 'Wahhhhh. She has the audacity to lie, I see' I sighed internally.

I then directed my attention to Junhoe and one of the waiters who I know as a newbie named Raesung. Raesung has already stepped forward to explain everything I guess but I had to stop him and made a direct order.

"Raesung, kindly go back with Junhoe to the staff room and assist him to change into something dry and wait for me there." I directed the new guy with an understanding smile, which only earned complains from the whiny lady who is now hooking her hands around me which I graciously removed as I faced the yeoja.

"First of all, I apologize for how my staff acted. I hope you will not take it against the Hotel." I opened as I smile as sweetly as possible that made the girl to just nod and said that there is no need for me to apologize. I then continued my usual spiel for these scenarios.

"Thank you for understanding. To compesate, let me make you your iced latte as an apology," After saying this, the lady was evidently so happy about my statement. 'What an easy catch this girl is'. I then continued."However I hope you will not act rudely to my staff again.I believe you are an educated woman with so much class. It will hurt me to hear people talking behind your back" I sugar coated.

After hearing what I said, the girl blushed heavily and even offered to apologize to Junhoe which I did not approve as I have a feeling that Junhoe can and will have the urge to punch her face. With the situation handled, I went to the staff room to see a dry Junhoe and a nervous Raesung. As soon as my presence are felt, both gentlemen looked at my direction and I got to say, they both looked like fishes out of water. Both nervous and wary, which I can totally understand. I mean anyone who’s put in such situation will become like that. Hayyyyys! Oh well. Time to talk to these two.

“How are you guys feeling?” I cautiously asked. Of course, I all too well how they are feeling but I still need to hear it from them. “Shaken?”

My question was only answered by a small nod from Raesung and silence from Junhoe. I sighed and pat the shoulder of the new waiter and try to ease his tension.

“It’s alright. You did nothing wrong. You don’t have to e all tensed up ok. I will not reprimand you.” I smiled at him. “But I hope this will not happen again, arrachi! For now, take your lunch break now and try to collect yourself, afterwards, go back and serve with that cute smile again hmmmm.” I cheered Raesung. The latter only looked at me, all shocked before he flashed his toothy smile and nod like an obedient child.

The moment Raesung excused himself; I sat silently beside the sulking Junhoe and tried to assess the mood of the other.

“You know, what you did back there is not bad at all.” I started as I peeked at Junhoe’s face. ‘Wow! Nice side profile!’ I thought internally which I immediately shook off. Now is not the right time for that. Huuuuuuh! I exhaled quietly and continued. “That was very gallant of you to defend Raesung. And by the way, you look very cool back there.”  I told the younger as I nudged him to get his attention but instead of lifting his head, he bowed lower but not because he is still sulking but because he is shy? I think because his ears are now all red. So I assume he is just shy unless he’s super angry. Right?

I gave it a minute before I stood up and ruffled his hair and told him to take a break just like what I said to the other staff of mine. But before I can go out of the staff room, Junhoe held my wrist.

“I’m sorry for creating a scene. I just got so angry because she was being rude and was obviosly lying and all” He said.

“Arra. There’s no need to apologize ok. What you did was great. Now, take a breather and report to Chaerin noona after an hour ok.” I winked at him as I leave not knowing that I left a very blushing young man trying to regulate his uneven heartbeat.