Chapter 1

Sanctum of Sacrifice.

 

The pitter patter of little feet was what awoke Heechul from his sleep that day. That and the insistent little fingers grabbing at his baggy t-shirt to the point he began to slide off of his blanket.

"I'm up I'm up already!" He yelped, smiling when the two young boys that were prodding him jumped in for a hug. "Hyung! Good morning!" They cheered and Heechul hugged them close, smiling. "Morning Sungmin, Wookie. Happy birthday Wookie." He said and Ryeowook's eyes sparked, shoving four fingers in Heechul's face. "Thanks Hyung! I'm this many now! You remembered my present right?" He asked excitedly as Sungmin bounced on his toes, also curious. If Ryeowook was getting presents, that meant he'd at least get a piece of candy.

Heechul's smile faltered. "I'm going to try to get it today. You know Hyung's been saving." He lied, petting the boy's soft brown hair. He yawned and stretched before ushering Sungmin and Ryeowook to go and sleep some more. It was only 5am after all. He smiled as he heard their resident 'umma' beginning the daily routine of cleaning up the children's mess.

Grabbing his back pack, Heechul made his way out back, stripping down and grabbing the sponge next to the bath. There was working plumbing but Heechul left the hot water for the children inside and bathed out back using cold water and a sponge. He pulled his deodorant from his bag and applied it before re dressing in his previous clothing.

Their orphanage wasn't too run down but Heechul gave up tons of 'luxuries' in order to make sure the kids were happy. They had the best chance to be adopted. Pulling his sneakers on, Heechul spotted Eeteuk and waved. "Off to school Umma!" He called, before heading out.

 

On his way to school, he spotted the store he would be visiting that afternoon and frowned. Upon arriving, he hurriedly snuck into the locker room and grabbed his duffle bag, ping it and pulling out converse sneakers, white skinny jeans, and a pink, silk, sleeveless shirt to change into. A moment of guilt passed before he shook it off, throwing his filthy clothes into his book bag and shoving the other back into his locker.

"Time for another day of torture." He muttered, leaving the room as the bell rang for breakfast, signalling students should begin to arrive.

 

Kyuhyun’s eyes shot open as his alarm woke him from his slumber, sitting up in bed he rubbed his eyes, before turning off the alarm.
“Aish im going to be late” He jumped out of bed and entered his bathroom where he brushed his teeth, before running a comb through his hair and walking back into his bedroom. He yawned as he changed out of his pyjamas and pulled on a pair of black jeans, black boots, a white t-shirt and white blazer, once he was happy with his appearance he headed downstairs to where his mother could be heard preparing breakfast.
“Good morning Kyuhyun” she smiled as he made his way downstairs and into the kitchen. He grabbed a glass of water and sipped it slowly.
“Good morning Umma, is Appa still sleeping? I don’t have time for breakfast this morning im going to be late.” He packed his bag and pulled it over his head before kissing his mother on the cheek.
“Ne, he doesn’t need to be up for work yet. Make sure you eat something at school, study hard and have a nice day” she smiled as Kyuhyun waved and headed out of the house. 
He arrived at school just minutes before the bell rang. As people started to fill the hallways he grabbed his books from his locker and sighed.
“Time for another day in  hell.”

Heechul sat down in his desk for the fifth time that day, immediately taking out his notebook and grabbing a pencil. His teacher paid him no mind as he began their class and Heechul tuned him out.

He heard someone call his name about thirty minutes later but pushed it to the back of his mind, only to swear moments later when his drawing was taken from him and he snapped his head up to see the teacher glaring at him before ripping the paper up. "Ah! No Heebummie!" He pouted as some kids snickered.

"Maybe that will teach you to pay attention in my class. I want you to turn in all of the vocabulary for the chapter tomorrow Mr. Kim. As for the rest of you, section one." He barked and Heechul lowered his head, scooping the remnants of his drawing off the floor with tear filled eyes, wincing as someone stomped on his finger when he reached for a piece.

After safely tucking the paper away, he picked up his pencil and began the vocabulary, hoping the teacher wouldn't rip that up too. He thought back to the kitten that he'd seen two days before and sighed, ignoring the comments of the other kids as the teacher left. It wasn't like he needed them anyway. He stayed alone 100% of the time and he didn't plan on changing that any time soon.

 

As his teacher yelled at yet another student Kyuhyun was sat at the back of the room deep in thought. He had already completed the work the teacher had set them and was about to start section one when the bell rang, signalling the end of class and the end of the day. He let out a sigh as the rest of the class got up to leave but he stayed sat at his desk. 
His parents were strict about his grades, forcing him to study almost all of the time. 
The one time he came home with an A- they grounded him for a week, blocking the games on his computer, and forbidding him from going out for anything other than school. He didn’t care about not being able to leave the house. After all it wasn’t like he had any friends to miss him. No, he was too busy trying to be perfect student to have friends, something he had gotten used to over the years. A voice from the front of the class made him jump and his head shot up.
“Kyuhyun im sorry but you cannot stay here today. I have a meeting and I need to lock up. You have ten minutes before I leave” His teacher gathered up his files and left the room. 
Kyuhyun rubbed the bridge of his nose and let out a sigh of frustration as he threw his books in his bag and headed out of the classroom, down the hallway and out of the school building.

As soon as the bell rang, Heechul shot out of his chair. He forgot about his homework for the moment and headed for an empty room so that he could change back into his other clothing. He carried the discarded clothing with him to his gym locker and pushed them inside the locker, keeping them off of the few clean clothes still in the bag.

After he was back in his clothes from the orphanage, he set out, jogging down the street to the electronics store he'd targeted that morning on his way to school.

He stopped outside the glass, pretending to peer inside at the items and focused on a nintendo DS, eyes glinting as the light reflected off of his multicolored eyes. The item lifted in the air and Heechul smirked in success, flicking his finger to remove the security device before bringing it and a game cartridge out of the store and into his waiting arms. A customer, presumably about to enter the store saw him grab the items with no bag in site and shouted, just as the owner ran out of the store, noticing one of his displays missing.

Heechul took off at a run, throwing his arm out and making the glass door smack the men in the face as he ran towards home. He hoped that he'd be able to make it.

He rounded a corner, going to take the main road to hopefully lose them in the crowd, only to barrel into someone causing them both to fall and the game to slide down the concrete.

Heechul swore and looked up, rainbow like eyes locking onto someone he vaguely found familiar before he scrambled up and left, leaving the broken game system and useless cartridge behind.

 

Kyuhyun’s eyes met those of the familiar male, as they collided and fell to the floor. The other boy jumped up and ran, turning a corner before disappearing out of sight. 
Kyuhyun sat up and rubbed his head, flinching at the pain he had been left with when his head met the concrete floor. Noticing the broken game console on the floor he picked it up. 
“I could probably fix this” he thought and slipped it into his bag, before standing up and continuing his walk home.

Later that night after he had eaten dinner and had a shower he pulled on his pyjamas and continued his homework. It didn’t take him long to complete, and once it was finished he focused on the broken game console. 
“Kyuhyun are you studying?” His mother’s voice came from behind his door, which he had remembered to lock every night since she caught him playing Starcraft when he should have been studying.
“Yes Umma im studying.” He replied as he slowly took apart the broken console.
“We’re going to bed, don’t stay up too late!” 
He shook his head as his mother’s footsteps disappeared down the hallway. It took him almost an hour to fix the console, before replacing the cover carefully and switching it on. He waited patiently as the console loaded, a satisfied smirk emerged on his face as the screen lit up, and his hard work had paid off.  He slipped the console back into his bag and climbed into bed. The only thing he could think about as he slept that night, were the beautifully colourful eyes he had seen and more importantly, who the hell did they belong to. 

Heechul slowed to a stop a street away from the orphanage and rested his hands on his knees, trying to catch his breath. "Damn it. Wookie will be so upset with me... I can give him my drawing I suppose." He whispered, straightening up and turning to walk the remainder to his home.

 

Just as the orphanage came into view, he felt something rub on his leg and he smiled, bending down to scoop up the kitten that he'd drawn only that morning.

 

"Heebum-ah. How are you?" He asked the kitten, kissing it's cheek and stepping inside his home. Before he could tell Eeteuk of his arrival, he was hugged by two small children.

 

"Woah woah, I have fragile packages!" He yelped, holding the kitten out of reach as Ryeowook and Sungmin reached for it.

 

"Is that my present Chullie?" Ryeowook gasped and Heechul knelt down to let them pet the kitten. "Your present is in my bag. I was going to get you something nice but I... lost the money." He lied, not wanting him to know he'd broken it. "But... my teacher tore my picture I made you so you and Sungmin will have to put it together to see the surprise." He continued as Ryeowook held his hands out and accepted the pieces of paper. "Hyung's drawings are always nice." He said, running off with Sungmin to find tape.

 

Heechul sat down on the floor and petted Heebum, smiling at the purr that he received. "I hope you realize you can't keep it."

 

At Eeteuk's voice, Heechul jumped and watched their caretaker come over. "Kangin-ssi got his company to donate for renovations so we're going to have to rotate rooms for a while until they can fix the place up. It will take two to three days. But any left over money is going towards bedding and supplies. We can't afford a cat." Eeteuk warned.

 

"That's fine... I'll feed him off of my plate." And without waiting for a response, Heechul picked up the cat and went to his room, ignoring the two bickering children in the corner of his room and lying down with Heebum on his blanket. "Come on, night night Heebummie." He said, trying to forget that he hadn't finished the vocabulary or that it was possible one of his classmates saw him steal.

 

It was 4am and Kyuhyun was sat at his computer playing starcraft, his headphones plugged in so he wouldn’t wake his parents. He didn’t see the point in lying in bed, when sleep right now was impossible, he couldn’t get those eyes out of his head. He paused the game and removed his headphones, sighing as he opened the drawer of his desk he pulled out his yearbook. He flicked through the pages one by one until someone stood out to him, eventually he found the photos of his classmates, everyone was smiling happily accept for two people, himself, he always hated picture day and a boy named Kim Heechul. He studied the photo noticing one thing straight away, Heechul was wearing sunglasses. His hair was shorter than it was currently but the nose, the mouth; everything matched the person who crashed into him earlier in the day. Putting down the year book he turned off his computer and went for a shower, he had school in four hours so there wasn’t much point in trying to sleep and making himself late. 
The tension seemed to wash away as he stood under the water and soon enough he was relaxed, he climbed out and got dressed pulling on a pair of black jeans and a black v-neck before heading downstairs. He made himself breakfast and sat at the table, reading his history book as he ate. 
“Kyuhyun what are you doing up so early?” his mother asked as she walked into the kitchen at 7am, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. He jumped at the sudden voice and smiled. 
“Good morning Umma. I couldn’t sleep so I decided to get ready for school and do a little more studying.” He washed his dish and went upstairs to prepare his bag, adding in the correct books, he pulled out the games console and sighed.
“Im probably going to regret this” he thought as he stuffed it back into his bag and headed off to school.
He arrived 15 minutes before the bell rang, he had done enough studying that morning to last the whole day so instead he sat on the floor near the lockers, and waited for Heechul to show up. 

*scritch scritch scratch *

Heechul vaguely registered pain in his neck as he came to and blinked, reaching up to pet Heebum who sat on his neck his face and letting out a howl of pain as he realized his neck and face were on fire.

 

Heebum tumbled into his lap, mewling, as Ryeowook and Sungmin startled awake. "Hyung what's wrong?" They asked as their Hyung got up from his blanket and stormed out of the room.

 

Heechul yanked the door open to the bathroom, making whoever inside yell at him but he ignored them, looking into the mirror and swearing when he saw the pricks of blood on his neck where Heebum had been kneading and the red color of his raw cheek where Heebum had him. "Ugh. He better be glad I'm a cat person." He groaned, disappearing outside to bathe.

 

Ten minutes or so later, he was heading out to school earlier than normal with a mask on to try and hide at least a little of his raw face.

 

Unused to people being at the school, he waltzed in and headed for the locker rooms, missing the blob of black in his peripheral vision as he passed one of the halls. He changed quickly, pulling on ripped black jeans and a black v-neck shirt. He was in the process of pulling his shoes on when he stilled, listening for something.

 

Shrugging it off, he wadded his clothes up and put them in the locker before picking his backpack up and heading back out.

 

The bell wasn't due to ring for another five minutes so he turned the corner to go to his first class and let out a quiet "oof" as he bumped into something soft.

 

~Wait... soft?~ He looked up and found the guy from yesterday standing there and his eyes widened. ~WTF is he following me?!~ He thought, taking a step back when the guy dug in his bag. "I saw you head in this direction so I waited but then you took a while so I was bringing this to you when you bumped into me again. Here."

 

Apprehensively, Heechul took the game console and his eyes widened. "You fixed it?!" He asked, astonished, pulling the mask down to inspect the game better.

 

“Yes, I guessed it must have been pretty important.” Kyuhyun looked up, the slight smile on his face disappeared when he saw the older boys cheek. 
“What happened to your face?” Heechul flinched, pulling the mask on properly, hiding his red raw cheek. 
“Oh its nothing, my new kitten is rather fond of me” the two laughed as they made eye contact before Heechul looked away. 
“Thank you for fixing this…Im Heechul” he smiled, bowing as he greeted the younger boy. Kyuhyun returned the bow and grinned. 
“Kyuhyun. And you’re welcome.” There was an awkward silence between the two for a few moments, until the bell rang. 
“Best get to class. I’ll see you around… Kyuhyun” Heechul winked before spinning round on his heels and heading to their first class. Kyuhyun watched the older boy as he walked away, his slender figure and those tight jeans made his heart race. He smiled and shook his head, as he pulled his books from his locked and headed to class. 
The day passed slowly and Kyuhyun found himself noticing Heechul more and more, he realised that they shared all of their morning classes, yet neither of them had ever spoke,
before he knew it the bell rang for lunch and as usual he was the last person to leave the room.