Chapter 8

Ripped Fate [ON HIATUS]

Seokjin's tired eyes stare at the wall. He hadn't gotten much sleep, constantly waking up every few minutes or so. It's morning already but he couldn't push himself to even sit up, especially when Jungkook is practically glued to him the entire night.

 

But it was what the younger man said a couple hours ago that really bothered him.

 

Jungkook groans tiredly, tucking his head into Seokjin's neck. It was the last string for Seokjin, who finally pulled himself away. Jungkook is still asleep while he stumbled out of the bedroom.

 

When Seokjin shuts the door behind him quietly, he exhales. He felt so tense in that bedroom. But his heart is beating so hard, he can hear it in his head.

 

"Give him a chance?" Seokjin whispers to himself. Jungkook asked him to give him a chance.

 

Seokjin is confused by himself. He has no romantic feelings towards the younger man, so why couldn't he just say no? He loves Taehyung, he can't say yes.

 

If so, then what is this weird and irritating tug at his heart?

 

He assumes that it could be that he doesn't want to hurt Jungkook but that answer doesn't seem right either.

 

"Seokjin?"

 

The voice is muffled behind the door and the bed is heard creaking. Seokjin runs into the kitchen before Jungkook can find him awkwardly standing in the hallway.

 

He then busies himself by searching what they can eat, pretending to examine the vegetables when Jungkook enters.

 

"G-Good morning, Jungkook," Seokjin tried to say casually. He didn't turn to look at him but hears one of the chairs skid.

 

When he does stand up to look at him, Jungkook has his hands folded together on the table, breathing softly with his eyes closed. Seokjin would've about his cute bed hair if it weren't for the fact that Jungkook looked so serious.

 

Anyway, he didn't get a greeting back so he went back to work, rinsing some greens. It was quiet with only the sound of water from the sink filling in the house.

 

"Seokjin," Jungkook began in a small, tired voice. Seokjin pauses to look at him.

 

"Hm?"

 

"Don't go anywhere today, please," his head turns to look at him, eyes finally meeting each other.

 

Seokjin felt a jolt of electricity up his spine, 'Have Jungkook's eyes always looked this...' He couldn't find the word to describe it accurately. Intimidating? Angry? He couldn't point it out.

 

"Um, sure."

 

Seokjin replied hesitantly before he finally stops rustling around. Jungkook is not mentioning last night yet and it's scaring him because he doesn't know what to do if he does confronts him about it.

 

He excused himself and began to walk out of the room when Jungkook suddenly takes hold of his wrist. Seokjin turns back and Jungkook stands up from his chair. The younger man doesn't let him go.

 

"Hey, so last night..."

 

Seokjin closes his eyes as last night repeats in his head. Jungkook had been so close to him, had held him so tight in that bed.

 

"What about it?"

 

"You never answered me," Jungkook says without hesitation.

 

'Could you please give me a chance?'

 

Seokjin can hear his voice repeating the question in his head. He decided that he can't let this continue.

 

"No," Seokjin pulls his arm away from Jungkook's hand. "My answer is no. I can't do it." He steps back, looking down at the wooden floor of the kitchen. "I really don't think I can. I don't even know how it's going to work."

 

Jungkook bites his lips and runs his right hand through his hair. His eyes tells Seokjin how desperate he is for him. "What if Taehyung isn't the one?"

 

There it is again. Seokjin feels a twitch of anger deep inside him. But he remains reserved and remembers that Jungkook is also important to him.

 

"I will say it one last time. I love you," Seokjin pauses and Jungkook's eyes lit up immediately. "But not in the same way I love Taehyung. He is the one I've fallen for."

 

Seokjin turns to leave, not feeling so good about eating breakfast anymore. As he turns the corner into the hallway, he can hear Jungkook collapse to the ground in another heartbreak.

 

~~

 

"Taehyung!"

 

Seokjin's voice made Taehyung stand up from the bench he sat on. He smiled as the broad shouldered man approaches him.

 

"Seokjin, you look beautiful," he compliments and kisses his soft hands. Taehyung loves the light red color that spreads throughout Seokjin's cheeks.

 

"T-Thank you."

 

Even though Jungkook had requested that Seokjin doesn't go out, the latter doesn't listen. After what happened this morning, Seokjin thinks that it's better for there to be some space between them.

 

"What's on your mind?" Taehyung asks when Seokjin absentmindedly tripped over something on the path. They decided to visit some stores to buy Taehyung's father a gift. It's been quite long since they've seen each other as well.

 

"It's nothing," Seokjin waves it off. He doesn't want to talk about Jungkook at the moment. Instead, he allowed himself to enjoy the rest of the day with Taehyung.

 

"When is your father coming back?" Seokjin asks. Taehyung taps his chin as he tries to remember.

 

"I'm not sure. He never specified," Taehyung shrugs and went back to looking at some of the things for sale. Seokjin follows as he looks around at all the colorful things.

 

He bumps into Taehyung's back. Wondering what caused him to stop so abruptly, Seokjin glances at what the latter is holding.

 

"Oh, Taehyung..."

 

In Taehyung's hand is a small marble sculpture of a mother and her baby. Seokjin is reminded that Taehyung is still trying to move on with his life.

 

"Reminds me of my mother," Taehyung smiles but all Seokjin can see are the tears behind his closed eyelids.

 

A growl rumbles loudly, killing the sad atmosphere. Taehyung looked taken back for a couple of seconds before he laughs, realizing that it came from Seokjin.

 

On the other hand, the older man of the two groans. He didn't eat at all today.

 

Seokjin denied that he wasn't feeling hungry, lying that it was just his body acting strangely. Taehyung treated him once again to a full meal. It was just a normal lunch, nothing too special about it but Seokjin realizes something.

 

He missed cooking.

 

Since he moved here, Jungkook has been doing most of the cooking and yes, there are times when Seokjin helps out but he hasn't really felt the satisfaction for a while now.

 

He remembered back when he'd be the one cooking whatever he wants to at the farm for Taehyung.

 

He takes his eyes off of the paid food and at Taehyung, who has not touch his plate yet. When their eyes met, Seokjin felt a nostalgic twinge in his chest.

 

He felt guilty for leaving Taehyung, who has practically been abandoned.

 

The nostalgic feeling settled in him, constantly being reminded of the peaceful place he escaped to. It was where he first found love, where he felt safe. Most of all, he felt free.

 

He hoped that he was not being selfish because he can already imagine how Jungkook would react. But he chose to set that aside.

 

The thought of that had distracted him from his food. He felt Taehyung gently tugging his arm, probably to check if he's okay and why he's so dazed.

 

So Seokjin looks back at the man he loves, with this surging wave of emotion in his chest. He takes Taehyung's hands and takes a deep breath.

 

"I want to go back with you."

 

~~

 

Jungkook was walking down his hall when he passed by Seokjin's room. The door was halfway open and it took one short glance to make him freeze and backtrack.

 

Seokjin is heard humming happily in the living room, so Jungkook took the chance to step into the room.

 

He sees a pile of neatly folded clothes on the corner of the bed, along with an opened suitcase, still empty but prepared to be packed. The closet is spacious with the usual things inside taken out.

 

Jungkook tenses and his eyes narrowed with suspicion. He goes to the living room where Seokjin is still humming, sweeping the house one last time.

 

"Seokjin, are you going somewhere?" He asks, making the latter stop with his chore. Seokjin looked confused at first.

 

"No, why?"

 

"Well, your suitcase is out," Jungkook folds his arms, seeing Seokjin's grip on the broom tighten.

 

"Um... Jungkook..." he says carefully. "I've been thinking for days..."

 

"Thinking about what?"

 

Seokjin presses his lips together, like he's thinking if he should say or not.

 

"I think it's time that I go back."

 

"What?"

 

"I've decided that I'm going to live with Taehyung again," Seokjin sets the broom aside so that it leans against the wall.

 

"You mean you're going back to that farm? Where you got kicked out?" Jungkook starts to feel disbelief swell inside him.

 

"Yes. Everything is alright now."

 

"No!" Jungkook yells, "It's not alright at all! I can't let you get hurt again."

 

Seokjin places his hand on the younger latter's shoulder. "I know how much you care about me and I appreciate that. Trust me, I'll be fine."

 

"And I'll be alone... again."

 

"Don't say that, I can still come see you," Seokjin sighs. "You've done so much for me and I want to thank you for that. But I feel bad for letting you do all this work for me, giving me things I don't even know if I deserve."

 

"That's because I want to give you everything I can give," Jungkook pulls Seokjin to him in a tight embrace, almost desperately. He hopes that if he holds on to his first and only love long enough, he won't lose him.

 

"Good bye, Jungkook."

 

"No... Seokjin please-"

 

Seokjin pulls away despite Jungkook's arms still trying to bring him back to his chest. When Seokjin leaves, Jungkook can only see his own hand. He felt powerless and the more he looked at his hand, the more he saw himself as nothing more than a mere child.

 

Jungkook felt like a failure, failing to make Seokjin love him. He doesn't know how much he can take, how much he can withstand.

 

He lets Seokjin return.

 

He lets Seokjin run back to Taehyung's side.

 

The next morning, a small light of hope grew in his chest even though Seokjin already told him his decision. He jumps out of bed and runs to the next bedroom, stopping in front of it. His shaky hand reaches out to turn the doorknob, slowly. Then, he shuts his eyes and swings the door open. It was quiet, and when Jungkook peeks through, he sees the empty bed.

 

He slams the door on his way out.

 

~~

 

Seokjin slowly opens one eye. If it weren't for the bright sun, he would've probably sleep until past noon.

 

He didn't want to get out of bed; there was little noise besides the faded singing of chirping birds. Also, he didn't want to get away from the human heater still deep asleep next to him.

 

Taehyung is snoring lightly, his entire body under the covers except for his head, which he tucked into Seokjin's shoulder. His body was so warm, making Seokjin feel extremely cozy.

 

Seokjin chuckles quietly before thinking to himself, 'It's so nice to be back.' He then played with Taehyung's hair, parting it in various ways, holding in his laugh whenever the sleeping man would grumble sleepily.

 

It was back to how it use to be like, just the two of them. Seokjin finally motivates himself to get up and make something for Taehyung like use would always do before. He skips out to the kitchen, taking notice how small the house is since he had been absent for so long. And he likes it that way.

 

Seokjin hums as he searches for ingredients. When he couldn't decide what to make he huffs, contemplating what would be better.

 

"Hey, Jungkook! What do you-"

 

Seokjin cuts his voice off when he realized what he had just yelled out. He hoped that it didn't wake Taehyung and sighed in relief when he could still hear the light snoring inside the bedroom.

 

'I can't believe this,' Seokjin rubs his head, 'I guess I have gotten used to cooking and asking Jungkook what he'd like to eat.'

 

He brushed the thought away, but not before reminding himself to schedule a visit to Jungkook later next week, if he can. Instead, he thought about other things coming up, like how Taehyung mentioned again that his father would return in two weeks.

 

It's been long since Seokjin had last seen Mr. Kim. He remembers seeing him with Mrs. Kim around the time he first arrived. Seokjin respects Taehyung's father; he never spoke much to him but is a serious and hard working man. Taehyung mention excitedly the day before that he would like Seokjin and his father to know each other more, which made Seokjin excited and a bit nervous.

 

Seokjin snaps out of his thoughts when Taehyung comes up to stand beside him, leaning on him.

 

"You're up."

 

"Hmm..." Taehyung mumbles, still not completely awake.

 

Seokjin chuckles at his sleepy voice before reaching back to glide his hand against Taehyung's soft cheek.

 

"Hey, after breakfast, I have some errands to run. Would you mind waiting until I come back? I'll have Yoongi come over to keep you company," Taehyung mumbles into Seokjin's neck.

 

"I'm sure he'll come even if you didn't ask him to," Seokjin laughs.

 

Even though he feels content as of now, he can't ignore the almost hidden anxiety in his chest. He felt like there is going to be conflict soon.

 

But that thought disappeared instantly when Taehyung sneaked a quick kiss on his cheek before fleeing. For the next hour, Seokjin's face remained rosy and his eyes were too shy to meet Taehyung's.

 

~~

 

Seokjin sat on a tree stump as he stares around the empty farm. While he was gone, Taehyung was ordered by his father to sell off all of the animals. It made him a bit sad, maybe lonely as well.

 

He flinched when the front gate creaked loudly. Seokjin had thought about getting it fixed before but the creaking is what made him aware that someone was entering and leaving, so he decide to let it be.

 

Unsurprisingly, Yoongi walked towards him. Surprisingly though, he doesn't make any grand entrance. He stayed quiet and simply sat on a log next to Seokjin.

 

"Hi, Yoongi."

 

"Hey."

 

There was no bursting emotion in his voice, which made Seokjin worried.

 

"Is something wrong?"

 

"Nah, I'm just tired," Yoongi states with a yawn.

 

"I see..."

 

Yoongi lets out a groan as he stretches, arms raised up with a twisted face. "Listen..."

 

Seokjin lifts his head a bit higher in attention. He folds his hands in his lap as slight curiosity settles into his mind.

 

Yoongi stares at Seokjin and it looked like he was... sad.

 

"I'm going to be moving away," he rubs the back of his neck, massaging it. "My family thinks that I should move back into town."

 

Seokjin almost lost his balance but caught himself from falling over to the side. "You're leaving?"

 

"I'm sorry for telling you so late," Yoongi sighs. "You had a lot going on and you're finally moving back with Taehyung- I just didn't want to bother you."

 

"Oh, Yoongi," Seokjin pulls his friend up into a hug. "You really should've told me sooner."

 

They stayed that way with the sun warming them with its light. Seokjin felt more lonely already. It wouldn't be that bad... they can still visit each other... right?

 

"I can't come over as much as I use to, but when I do, you better be alive and healthy, you hear me?" Yoongi then tried to crack a joke but ends up just enjoying Seokjin's hug.

 

"I'm going to miss you so much," Seokjin says quietly. He remembered how they met and stifled his laugh. "Really. I'm going to miss having you around."

 

Yoongi hummed quietly. He can't help but feel like something is waiting for Seokjin, whether it be good or bad. Yoongi worries at first, especially since he won't be there to help his friend if something terrible were to happen, but chooses to trust Taehyung to protect him in his absence.

 

~~

 

One month later...

 

Seokjin bursts out of Taehyung's house, into the quiet night. Each breath comes out of him shakily as he places his hand on the side of the house to steady himself.

 

He can hear Taehyung arguing with his father inside, and that causes him to curl up into a ball, crying silently.

 

At first, when Mr. Kim came home, everything seemed alright. Seokjin thought that he had been accepted. Not much time passed when Mr. Kim reveals that he would rather have Taehyung be with someone else.

 

"Seokjin is not a bad person but I want you to start a life with someone who comes from a good background and will be able to help you support your future family."

 

Seokjin winces as he recalls Mr. Kim's words. Ever since he heard that, he became pessimistic. Maybe he'll be a burden, make Taehyung's future deteriorate.

 

"Seokjin," Taehyung finally finds him outside. He crouched down to his level and embraces him. "I'm so sorry."

 

"No, I'm sorry," Seokjin hiccups. "I'm just getting in the way of you and your father again."

 

Taehyung immediately forces Seokjin to look at him. "You don't believe him do you?"

 

"He's looking out for you," Seokjin says in return.

 

Taehyung huffs, slightly sad, before standing up. He makes sure to hold Seokjin's hand tight as they make their way into the woods, back to their peaceful place.

 

No words were exchange throughout the short trip.

 

Taehyung brings Seokjin into their bedroom at the farm. He closes the door and sits him down. They stayed in silence for a while and Seokjin can hear his partner thinking. His sharp eyes casted down at the floor with his brows slightly furrowed. Seokjin looks away.

 

"Do you know how much I love you?" Taehyung says, breaking the silence. Seokjin shifts a bit, already knowing the answer. Taehyung would always say and do this whenever Seokjin feels down.

 

"If you count all the stars in the sky..." Taehyung says and looks into his lover's eyes. Seokjin shakes his head, embarrassed to continue but he urges him to complete the sentence.

 

"It doesn't compare to the love between you and I," Seokjin finishes. He couldn't hide the small and shy smile that is growing on his face. He found it cheesy but loves it whenever Taehyung say it.

 

Taehyung leans forward until his forehead touches Seokjin's. He smiles back and whispers, "That's right."

 

He comforts Seokjin until he falls asleep, telling him that what his father thinks is not how he thinks.

 

~~

 

A couple days later, Jimin locks the door to his house before walking away with a small lunchbox. He only took a few steps when someone calls him.

 

Once he turned, he sees Mr. Kim walking to him.

 

"Oh, good afternoon, Mr. Kim," Jimin smiles politely. The older man greets him back and asks where he was heading.

 

"I'm just delivering some lunch I made for grandma," he chirps and Taehyung's father hums in approval.

 

"You've always been a kind young man, even as a child," he says. "When I think about it, whoever gets to have you as their son-in-law in the future is very lucky."

 

Jimin felt flattered. "Oh, thank you. But I don't think I reach the standards." He chuckles humbly.

 

"You're a good child," Mr. Kim insisted. "You know, you and Taehyung have known each other for a long time."

 

"Yes, of course."

 

"Don't you ever feel.... something for him?"

 

Jimin tilts his head. Was Mr. Kim suggesting something? Taehyung's father noticed his confusion and laughs.

 

"I guess I'll put this in a much more simple way," he says, looking quite excited.

 

"I want you to be my son-in-law."

 

Jimin gasps, almost dropping the lunchbox in his hands. He almost slapped himself, not believing that this is happening. “B-But Taehyung... he already has-"

 

"I am aware of Seokjin," Mr. Kim sighs. "There is nothing wrong with him, but I don't trust him to be with my son."

 

Jimin bites his lips. To be honest, it is quite tempting. It's also been a while since he talked to Taehyung individually. He remembered that the point of being away from Taehyung right now is to help cut off his feelings for him.

 

And he's doing pretty well so far, but-

 

"Taehyung will be mad," Jimin states, recalling how angry his best friend was to find out what he kicked Seokjin out of the farm.

 

"I'm sure he'll calm down after a few days," Mr. Kim sounded so assuring but Jimin knew better.

 

"No," Jimin relies back. "I'm sorry but I don't think I can agree to that.”

 

It hurts to turn down this offer, but Jimin felt like it's the right thing to do. He could have chosen to marry Taehyung but will then have to live knowing that the person he married and loves won’t feel the same towards him. 

 

Instead, he chose to do what can lead to Taehyung's happiness. Jimin thinks he finally accepted that he is important to Taehyung, but will never become his lover.

 

Mr. Kim shakes his head, "Well, I tried. I can't force you to do anything."

 

Jimin sighs in relief, glad that the man didn't try to pressure him, "I'm sorry, but I must get going. Grandma must be very hungry."

 

As he walked away, he felt a bit...... bothered.

 

He turns back to see Mr. Kim walking back inside his house. Jimin notes that Taehyung's father, who is also like family to him, acted pretty strange.

 

~~

 

Seokjin hugs Taehyung tight and hides his face in his chest. He can't bear to see workers moving their furniture and belongings out.

 

Taehyung tried to comfort Seokjin but a part of him is furious at someone. The person who decided to sell the farm.

 

His father.

 

The place was were Seokjin felt safe and comfortable. Now, they are expected to go back to the house, where Seokjin will have to face Taehyung's father daily.

 

Quickly, the area became vacant. The thought of going back to his father sickened Taehyung. He turns to Seokjin. "We'll find a way to solve this," he says, gently his hair with his fingers.

 

Seokjin nervously looks back at him. "Maybe your father did it for a reason that we don't know about," he says. They watched over the land silently for a couple minutes.

 

“Let's go. I'm sure he's waiting for you."

 

Before they leave the place, the couple walked around the farm one last time. Seokjin still remembered how he met and fell in love with Taehyung.

 

Seokjin watched Taehyung close the gate. It creaked like always, and Seokjin is going to miss it too. He holds Taehyung's hand and the both of them walk through the woods, away from their place.

 

~~

 

Seokjin could never be comfortable in his new home where he felt judged. Taehyung is somewhat grateful that his father stopped talking to Seokjin. But Seokjin isn't. He wants to become a part of Taehyung's family, and even though Mr. Kim already expressed his thoughts about him, he still wants him to be there. If he and Taehyung were to start their own family, he would want his children to have a loving grandfather.

 

But Mr. Kim has not said a single word to him and Seokjin isn't sure how to talk to him. As of now, Taehyung is out with Mr. Kim, leaving Seokjin alone in the house.

 

He took that time to roam around, looking at all of the framed pictures that hung on the walls. They were from different times, so a smile would cast itself on Seokjin's lips whenever he sees a photograph of Taehyung as a child. He liked those the most, which is why he began to search for photo albums that contained more of Taehyung's childhood.

 

He found a few on the shelves in an unused room then brought them to the table. He flipped through the pages, adoring the cute, little Taehyung. Of course, he felt sad when Mrs. Kim comes along; he wished that she was here.

 

When he moves on to a different album, he noticed that it was specifically labeled, "Kim Taehyung and Park Jimin."

 

Seokjin debates whether he wants to open the book or not, but his curiosity got the best of him.

 

Most of the pictures showed the two children playing. Seokjin had to admit that they are adorable but...

 

"Why does he look so familiar?" Seokjin said out loud when he sees a close up photo of Jimin as a child. He knows that he's seen that smile and those eyes before. Yes, Jimin still has those features but...

 

Seokjin gasps.

 

The little boy who was Jungkook's friend.

 

A knock on the front door startled Seokjin. He closes the photo albums quickly, stacking them neatly before walking to the door. It must be Taehyung and Mr. Kim returning.

 

When he opens the door, he takes a step back. Jimin seemed slightly surprised as well.

 

"Seokjin."

 

"Jimin..."