Of Awards and Achievements (final)

Of Awards and Achievements

(Word count: exactly 4,400 words. Me too was amazed that it was an exact amount ㅋㅋㅋ)

*10 years ago*

        A boy sits in the swing, staring at the children playing as he has no playmate. Little Jaemin felt jealous as he holds his red and blue toy car between his cute small hands.
        "Why would no one play with me?"
He was in the verge of  crying, he only ducked his head low looking at his cars. As tears start to fall from his eyes he saw two white shoes in his line of sight.
        "Why are you crying?" The boy says.
         "No one wants to play with me." Jaemin sobbed.
         "Oh what nice toys cars you have there. Come play with me to the sand box! I have buckets and shovels." The boy smiles, his eyes forming into cute crescents.
          "Really? You'll play with me?"
          "Yes silly. Now stop crying and follow me." he laughed.
          "Thank you very much!" Jaemin hugged the boy. The boy was taken aback. He felt a strange feeling. A strange feeling ramming inside his little heart. But  what would he know? He was only a kid.
They played to their hearts' content and Jaemin knew that the boy's name was Lee Jeno. It was time to go home. Jeno's mom came to fetch him. And Jaemin was sad they couldn't play anymore.
         "Let's play again tomorrow Nana!" Nana, he liked the nickname.
          "Ok Jeno I'll wait for you!" As Jeno turned around Jaemin called him again.  
        "Wait! Here, take this blue car. It's yours now. Bring it tomorrow ok? Bye!" He leaned in for a quick peck to Jeno's chubby cheeks. Jeno was shocked, but still he was very happy.
           "Byebye Jaemin-ah! See you again tomorrow!"
The next day, Jaemin waited at the swing again. He waited and waited but no Jeno came. He waited a little more, but still there was no sign of Lee Jeno. Jaemin cried that afternoon, clutching against his hands the red car.

*Present time*

       "NA JAEMIN! Get out of there now why are you taking so long? It's first day of school come on!" Lee Donghyuck, Jaemin's best friend and neighbor for who knows how long banged on his room door. He had already done preparing as he was excited that it was the first day of school.
     "Alright, alright I'm coming! Why are you excited? It would still be the same."
      "I heard that there is a new student coming and some said that he's cute! It's your time to shine Jaemin! You should forget that Jeno boy whom you met for only a day and move on."
     "I'm sorry, it's just that I was really heart broken that time. But still! No boyfriend for me!"
     "For a person that's smart and always on top, I'm sorry to say but you're kinda stupid."
     "Shut up. Now let's go so that we wouldn't be late."
     "Says the one who took too long to prepare."

  The boys bid Jaemin's mom farewell, and they took the bus on their way to school. And they arrived to Neo academy. They were now in their senior year and they're here to welcome a new start.
They went to the bulletin board to see their sections. They were classmates still, but Jaemin was particularly distracted at the name below Donghyuck's it was Lee Jeno, he was the transfer student.
     "Jaemin! We're still classmaaaates! After all these years we were never seperated. Were they that afraid that I'd prank them if we were to seperate? Jaemin?"
     "Oh right. Haha."
     "What's wrong why are you staring at the name lis- oh. It's Lee Jeno."
     "Yeah."
     "Are you sure he is THE Lee Jeno though? There are many Lee Jenos here in Korea."
    "You're right. Let's go to class shall we?"

The boys went to their classroom which was in the fourth floor, and by the time they arrived they were catching their breaths. They took the seats in the middle of the room but the closest to the window. They only talked to their classmates telling them their experiences on vacation while waiting for their teacher. Their teacher, Mr. Kim who has cute bunny teeth arrived and the students went back to their seats whispering to each other.
     "Alright class, good morning!  I welcome you to a new school year. I hope we would have fun this year as you're all seniors now. Let's make this one memorable! But for now let me brief you to our new grading system. This yea-" a knock on the door was heard.
     "Come in. Oh you must be the new student. You're late though. Please introduce yourself."
Jaemin couldn't say anything. He still looked the same after all these years. More handsome even. Donghyuck just looked at the awestruck lad.
     "Good morning sir I'm sorry I'm late. I was lost. Good morning everyone my name is Lee Jeno, 17 years old. Please take care of me." He plainly said.
     "Ok you may find your seat now."
Jaemin can't help staring at him and as Jeno approached he was ready to greet the latter, and as he was about to smile, Jeno only passed by him. His smile dropped, and he only looked at the teacher who was discussing in front.

It was lunch time. Jaemin and Donghyuck  are in the cafeteria. He didn't know where Jeno went. Not that the boy actually told him.
     "Wow Jaemin. You looked disappointed a while ago. Is he not the Jeno you were talking about?"
     "He is but he changed a lot. He isn't the Jeno I knew ten years ago."
     "People change Jaemin. Maybe something happened that lead him to his attitude now?"
     "Maybe."
     "Oh wait Markie's calling~ you go to the classroom first I'll follow you after a while."
     "Ok."
Ugh. Lovebirds.

Jaemin went back to their room alone and he sees Jeno reading a book. He mutters a soft hi and Jeno looked up to him but went back to reading again.
    "So hi. My name's Na-"
     "I don't care. Don't bother me."
Jaemin went silent. Maybe he doesn't really remember me at  all. It's already been ten years.
Donghyuck came back and a while after their teacher came in. They were ready for class.

Classes ended up pretty fast that day and the students went home already. Jaemin was in Donghyuck's house and he was pretty sad.
     "I swear Na Jaemin. You sound like a dying whale. Stop crying already."
     "He didn't even remember me Hyuck-ah! Why wouldn't I cry?"
     "Well you only met for a day, and that was pretty much ages ago."
     "But still! Even my red car was still with me! I can't believe that guy really. Did he go to the North pole and befriended the polar bears for him to be really cold?"
Jaemin was bawling his eyes out, and as Donghyuck says, he sounded like a dying whale.
     "Well my dear friend Minnie, what I'm pretty sure is that you won't get a boyfriend in your high school years as Lee Jeno turned out to be the transferee. But what I'm saying is that you should focus on your studies more. You know? Distract yourself from that guy. Just focus on being in the top. You don't need go dramatic over him my dear."
     "Lee Donghyuck is that really you? Why are you being all wise?"
Na Jaemin was actually pretty smart. He was top one since he was in pre-school. He was also a very great dancer. He has joined various competitions and received many awards. All this but Donghyuck still says that he's stupid. He is though, for a particular guy named Lee Jeno.

As months passed. Jeno learned to hate Jaemin. He always has the limelight, he's always top one, and he even beats Jeno in  competitions they were both joining. What's worse is that, freaking Na Jaemin freaking has the same name of his freaking childhood crush. He still remembers that day in the playground where he called him Nana and even the blue car that Nana owned was still with him.
Why is it, that even the precious name of Nana is also his?  Why is he claiming everything that I own? From my awards to my achievements tch. Na Jaemin I really hate your guts.

Jeno was also top one in his previous school in Canada. All Jaemin's awards that he has was also what Jeno's awards were. But in this school, he would always stay second. He'd be always be below Jaemin's level.

Little did these two know that something was gonna happen to the both of them.

It was the end of the third quarter, and it was the time where the roll of Honors are going to be announced yet again. Jeno went to the bulletin and as he quickly saw his name in second, he was mad. He saw how happy Jaemin was with Donghyuck announcing it to him.
     "Minnie! You're first again! You really make me proud, I've taught you well"
The two laughed.
"What a show-off." Jeno muttered. Donghyuck heard it though.
Wow. What another idiot. I thought I only had to deal with Jaemin but him too? These two fools are making my head hurt.

It was lunch time. They were at the cafeteria and they were talking about Jeno.
     "I'm so proud of my future bf! He always manages to be on top also! I wanna hug him so bad. I missed him so much."
     "Well what are you waiting for? You should probably go to him now. Seriously you both are stupid. I can't stand any of your drama now."
     "He really hates me though I don't know why. But have you seen how cute he is when he glares? So handsome!"
     "Well probably because you're always above him duh. You should probably talk to him so that he'll get his senses knocked over."
      "You're right. But I couldn't go 'Hi I'm Jaemin from ten years ago' to him right?"
      "Congratulate him first I guess, then tell him everything and you two live happily ever after, be like puppies in love, the end."
     "I guess I'll talk to him after class. Wait for me at the gates ok?"
     "I will. Fighting Minnie!"

To say that Jaemin was nervous was an understatement. He hands were literally trembling and he was about to pee his pants. And who could've caused this? That's right. No other than Lee Jeno.

Classes ended and there were no one on their classroom except for the two of them.

Jeno was about to go outside the room but Jaemin tugged on his uniform.
     "Wait Jeno I-"
     "What is it this time?"
     "I just wanted to say congratulations to you! And I have something to tell you." Jaemin's lips trembled and he stuttered.
     "Congratulate me? What a joke. Must be nice for you to be on top right? I don't need your congratulations and about the thing that you were about to say to me, don't say it anymore. You're just wasting my time. Can't you understand that a person hates you Na Jaemin?! Why are you so stubborn?! Stay away from me!"
    "I hate you!" "I-" Jaemin shivered at the older's words. Tears were threatening to fall from his eyes again.
     "I'm sorry Jeno-yah" a tear fell, and when Jeno saw it, he softened. He wanted to hug Jaemin right now, say sorry because the poor boy didn't even do anything to him but no, Lee Jeno was stubborn, and his pride was as high as a skyscraper, so he just watched Jaemin run out of the room, waterfalls in his eyes. I'm an idiot. What have I done?

Jaemin ran and ran, not minding the angry people he bumped into reaching the gate and right then Donghyuck saw him.
     "Are you now boyf- Jaemin are you alright?!" No response.
     "Let's go home for now. Tell me everything when we get home ok?" Donghyuck says as he wipes his tears. Jaemin was really thankful to his best friend at times like this.

They took a bus home and Donghyuck already asked permission to stay at the other's house for a while.

     "Tell me everything that happened." Jaemin did as he was told, saying everything that happened to Donghyuck.
     "Lee Jeno that bastard. I swear I'm gonna kill him." Jaemin stayed silent.
     "Will you be fine going to school though? After all of this?"
     "Of course why won't I? If he hates me then let him hate me."
     "Wow Jaemin you're a warrior."
     "Again, only for him."
     "After all you've gone through, you're still stupid."
     "Shut up."

Morning came, and Jaemin told Hyuck that he'd stop by at the lockers to get his books. A sticky note fell. It read, 'Jaemin-ah I'm sorry' He shrugged. He put the note to his pocket and went back to the room. Jeno was trying to catch his attention, but he didn't notice him and he just sat on his chair. Mr Kim entered the class.
     "Ok class. I'm gonna give you your final task for the school year. It's title is 'How well I know my buddy.' So basically, I will choose a pair for each of you and you and your pair will spend time with each other, telling each other everything you need to know about yourselves. You're gonna put this into a scrapbook, put pictures of you and your pair, and be creative and describe each other. I'm gonna award the best output. Is that clear?"
     "Yes Mr. Kim"
I wish Donghyuck's my partner. I wish Donghyuck's my partner. I wish Donghyuck's my partner.  Jaemin crossed his fingers.
But no Donghyuck was not his partner
     "Na Jaemin, you'll be paired with Lee Jeno."
     "What?! Oh I'm sorry Mr. Kim. Please continue."
Fate really is playful as they say in books and movies. I'm doomed.
For Jeno, it wasn't fate.  Being a teacher's favorite has its perks.  He smiled at his thoughts.
     "Deadline's before graduation. Alright class. Now that your partners are already decided, you may now go to your pair and talk about your project. I still have something to do. Behave ok?"

     "Byebye my Minnie! You will be missed. Let's go talk about our project Chenle-yah!"
Donghyuck happily skipped to his partner, Zhong Chenle
     "Donghyuck I hate you."
     "So Jaemin. Should we do the project in my house or yours? Don't get me wrong. I just wanted Mr. Kim's award."
     "Mine. Is it ok with you?"
    "Great." He showed his eye smile. Jaemin wanted to melt at the sight.
     "Let's meet at Saturday at 10 o'clock then? I'll fetch you here in school and we could ride the bus together."
     "Saturday it is." The two were still awkward with each other but they knew it would change soon.

Saturday came, and Jaemin came to fetch his 'future bf' at school.
     "Are you ready Jeno-yah? Let's go."
     "Let me buy us drinks first. My treat."
They were now at the bus stop, awkwardly standing beside each other, a drink with one hand. They took bus 127, as what Jaemin always takes. They talked to each other, but it only became more awkward. Jeno just decided to sleep. A while later, Jaemin was about to choke on his drink when he felt Jeno's head on his shoulders. His heart was ramming inside his chest but he remembers that he is inside a public transport. He cannot show his feels so he stayed calm.
Jeno felt someone poke on his cheeks.
    "Jeno-yah? We're already here. Wake up."
    "I'm sorry. Let's go"

They arrived at Jaemin's house and Jeno was staring. It wasn't as big as his house, but it was really beautiful. Beautiful enough to call it a home.
     "My parents aren't at home so we could go to my room and we will start the project there. They went upstairs. Jeno can't help but admire the interior of the house.
     "Your room is beautiful Jaemin-ah."
    "Thanks." Jaemin's phone rang. It was from his mother.
     "Stay here ok? I'll just answer this call."
     "Ok."
Jeno went around the room. He stopped at Jaemin's pictures on a small table. He saw a childhood photo and beside it was what struck him the most. It was the red toy car. The one who has the blue partner. Then and there he realized everything. When Jaemin opened the door he almost fell as Jeno engulfed him into a bone-crushing hug. Jeno was crying.
     "Nana. It's you. I'm really sorry." He sobbed. "Finally after ten long years." He can't stop hugging the younger as his tears stained his shoulder.
     "You finally realized, Jeno-yah. I've been trying to tell you. You didn't know how sad I was knowing you didn't remember me."
     "I know I'm such an idiot. I'm really sorry Nana." He broke the hug, Jaemin feeling sad of the warmth now gone. He looked at Jeno's glassy eyes. Even at this state he still manages to look that gorgeous. Jeno held his hands.
     "Jaemin will you let me make it up to you? I'm really sorry I didn't really know."
     "Only if you tell me the reason why you didn't show up at the playground ten years ago. Don't you know how sad I was Jeno?"
     "Ok sorry." He chuckled. "When we left the playground mom didn't talk to me. I woke up to know that we were already at the airport. I didn't know that we were going to Canada. I cried, telling my mom that I was gonna meet you and not leave until I see Nana but she only got mad at me. We lived there until last year, my parents just caring about my awards saying that I should always be on top rather than caring about my well-being as a person. I didn't have that many friends, maybe just one friend and he was half Korean but he eventually also had to leave. Maybe that's why I was really cold and had no friends in school. I was focused on studying. When I moved back here, I met you and I really hated you. Know why? Because I thought that you have the same name as Nana and you were getting all my awards from me."
     "Silly Lee Jeno. You're an idiot, you didn't even recognize me? I'm sorry you had to go through those Nono-yah."
     "Nono?"
     "That's your nickname. I'm Nana and you're Nono." They laughed.
     "Let's bond tomorrow. You know watch movies and go to amusement parks so we could also know about each other and also buy materials for our project . Let's go for the best output!"
     "Alrighty. But for now, you have to go home. It's getting late. I'll walk you to the stop."
     "I will. Only if you kiss me."
     "Seriously." Jaemin leaned in and pecked his cheek. Jeno blushed.
     "Let's go?"
They walked to the bus stop, hands holding each other's. Jeno hugged him for the last time.
     "Bye Nana. You don't know how happy I really am now that you're here. I won't let you go anymore, I promise." They release from their hug and Jeno went up the bus.
     "Byebye Nono, see you tomorrow!"
Jaemin happily walked back to his home.

The two really had fun the next day going to the cinema only to watch a freaking horror movie. Jeno was a scaredy-cat. He knew this about Jeno.
     "It's starting soon, Nono-yah let's go!"
Jeno only hugged Jaemin's arm as they watched, never looking back at the screen. Jaemin only laughed at him and when the movie ended, Jeno felt a sigh of relief. They went to buy snacks then proceeded to go buy materials for their project.
     "That movie scared the living daylights out of me! I'm relieved we were able to come out now."
     "That's because you're a scaredy cat Nono." Jaemin laughed.
     "It was eased though."
     "How?"
     "You were there for me to hold on."
     "That was pretty smooth, Lee Jeno."

They went to Lotte world next. They rode all the rides like kids, taking pictures of each other and every ride took. Jaemin was avoiding this one ride because of a reason. It was already dark, and pretty lights surrounded the park. This is the perfect time. Jeno thought.
     "Jaemin-ah! Let's go to the Ferris Wheel next! It would be beautiful seeing everything from above."
He was scared. He was afraid of heights but he didn't want to disappoint Jeno so he agreed. As the line got shorter and shorter, he was already trembling. They got into one cubicle facing each other. Jaemin shut his eyes, holding into the steel handle for dear life. Jeno learned that he was afraid of heights.
     "Nana? Are you ok?" Jaemin didn't hear him only shutting his eyes still and whispering words to ease himself.
     "You should've told me you were afraid, Jaemin." Jaemin felt warmth radiating from his hands. Jeno was holding his, reassuring that everything would be alright because he was there.
     "It's gonna be fine Jaemin. Open your eyes. Just look at me and you'll be ok."
Jaemin did as he was told, and by the time they were already below, Jaemin didn't take his eyes off the elder.
     "Thank you." Jaemin muttered.

The two decided to go home as it was late already. They decided that Jeno would just send everything he knew about him via a PowerPoint and Jaemin would do the rest.
     "Goodbye Jaemin. It was one of the best days of my life really. Thank you for spending time with me."
     "Thank you too, Jeno. See you tomorrow in class ok? Let's pass the project together."
     "Ok. Only if you hold my hand."
     "Again with the smoothness Lee Jeno."

It was morning. Donghyuck and Jaemin went to school together while while talking about their project and their partners. Jaemin told Donghyuck everything about what happened between him and Jeno. Donghyuck was more happy seeing his best friend finally getting the treatment that he deserves.
     "Ahh finally. The two idiots finally reunited again. I can now talk in peace with my boyfriend without someone bugging me about a particular someone. I'm really proud of you Minnie! You've really learned many things from me. So are you two official right now?"
     "Thank you, I guess? But no, we aren't a couple. Not yet. Let's go to school."

Mr. Kim entered the classroom gathering all their outputs. It was two days left before graduation.
     "Class I wanted to say that I'm really proud of all of you. Look at you all grown up now. I might cry." The students playfully.
     "I know you'll miss me really much. Don't be sad kids. I'll be back later to announce the best output! See you later kids!"

It was pretty much just a free day for all of them so they just talked, Jaemin introduced Jeno to his best friend.
     "You better not hurt my best friend you idiot." Jaemin just laughed at how sassy Donghyuck was. It was lunch time and they ate lunch together. They should be back at 1 o'clock because Mr. Kim will give back the outputs that he checked and will announce best project.
     "Hello class it is I again, your handsome teacher. I'm hear to announce that the best project goes tooooo... Lee Jeno and Na Jaemin! Congratulations to you two! Plus points will be added to your grade." Mr. Kim winked at Jeno and he smiled back.
     "See you all soon at graduation! Goodbye class! Try not to miss me too much ok?"

The day has finally come. It was their graduation. Their parents were really proud seeing their children march on the stage. Mr. Kim was crying.
     "Jaemin let's take a picture!" Donghyuck showed his cap and smiled on camera.
Jaemin saw him. He was really handsome.
     "Congratulations on being top Nana. I'm really proud of you."
     "You aren't mad at me getting first anymore?"
     "Why would I be mad when my greatest achievement is already here by my side?"
     "Again with that." They just laughed.

The ceremony ended and everyone was busy taking pictures and some were crying about not seeing their friends anymore. The trio were standing by the door as Mark, Donghyuck's boyfriend came to them carrying a bouquet of flowers.
     "You came!"
     "Of course. It's your graduation how could I forget you babe?" He kissed the younger, Jaemin showed a disgusted face.
     "Minhyung hyung? It's you!"
     "Jeno bro! It's been so long oh my God. How were you when we moved?"
     "Pretty sad, actually."
     "You know each other?"
     "He was the friend I talked to you about while I was in Canada. Jaemin, I have something to give to you. Do you guys mind if we go elsewhere?"
     "It's ok. Take your time. We'll also have our own time. Good luck Jeno-yah!"
     "Thanks hyung."

They went to a quieter area, Jeno taking something from his pocket. It was a small box. He gave it to him.
     "Here, take this."
Jaemin opened the box, tears forming in his eyes. Jeno had prepared him a surprise box. It contained all of their pictures. The blue car which Jeno took care for all the years was also there. When Jaemin took the car, he was shocked. Something was written below.
'Na Jaemin, my greatest achievement in life, will you be my boyfriend?'
Jaemin closed the box. And he quickly threw himself in Jeno's arms, crying.
     "Yes of course, silly. Why would I say no? I've been waiting for so long."
     "Can I kiss you?"
     "Of course, dummy."
Jeno leaned in, hands between his Nana's face. Jaemin tasted like all the sweet things in the world and he couldn't ask for more. They released from the kiss and they hugged each other again, not wanting to let each other go.

Just like when they first met, Jeno still felt this feeling ramming inside his chest, except that he knows what this feeling already meant. He just wanted to stay like this. He didn't want to leave Jaemin again.

They may not know what lies ahead of them, but they'll make sure that all the obstacles they will face with each other. These two are very smart and they knew that with each other their future would be very bright, just like their smiles.

-fin-

It's done alreadyyyy! If anyone does ever read it, thank you very much! It's my first time writing so it may be messy. Please support me! And sorry for the grammatical errors, if there were hehe. God bless you everyone. Please continue to support Jeno, Jaemin, and NCT! We all are pretty grasses. Love lots! ❤