Winter Solstice

Winter Solstice

"Good afternoon, Mr. Lee." said the man that later bowed in accordance to welcoming the President's son in the entrance of the auditorium where the gathering of those who consistenly donated in the Abandoned Children Welfare Organization is being held at.

Beaming his warmest smile despite the cold this weather was bringing for they are still in the middle of the winter season, Lee Daeyeol extended his hand and responded, "It's nice seeing you again, Mr. Kim. It's been a while since I've attended the gathering. I must give my apologies." He then bowed after saying his response to the organization's chief exective officer. 

Startled, CEO Kim immediately put his hands on Daeyeol's shoulder. "Oh, Mr. Lee, you shouldn't do this." The CEO got nervous since the person infront of him is the president's son and he can't offend the higher ups by making them think he ideally made this young man bow by folding his body in 90 degrees.

"I know how busy you've become since you are in your senior year in the university. I've also heard that you've been helping the president so no need for you to worry at all." One could see the traces of sweat droplets that consecutively fell down by the CEO's sideburns.

The guard of Daeyeol felt the tenseness of the CEO in front of them so he asked his young master to enter the auditorium. While making their way, his heart strangely pounded so hard. He tried to shrug it off but his senses seemed to have all woken up. For some unexplainable reasons, he could feel that something was off.

 

The Abandoned Children Welfare Organization organizes an annual gathering for their donators and supporters. It's the day where they could witness the children's presentations---the children's way of showing their gratitude to those who keep on helping them get through life.

The presentation is drawing near to its end. The second to the last presentors are now on stage performing a poetry piece made by them. While being engrossed to the poem itself, an adolescent girl whom Daeyeol's familiar with sat on the vacant chair beside him and handed him a white handkerchief with an embroidery of Daeyeol's initials, "LDY"

"Daeyeol oppa, this is for you. I wasn't sure if you'd come today but I still made this in case I'd see you." She stopped and smiled at her benefactor for six years.

"I'll soon leave the welfare." By this statement, Daeyeol was taken a back. He had known Ji An since she was brought to the welfare when she was six years old. Daeyeol could say that this girl's his closest one here. And the thought of Ji An leaving made his heart lonely.

"Oppa, don't worry. A family wants to adopt me. At first I didn't believe because who would ever adopt someone who's already hitting her puberty stage. But I've already met my future parents. I'm so happy because they immediately made me feel that I'm their daughter." Daeyeol could feel the happiness in Ji An's voice. He had treated her as his younger sister since he didn't have one, only one younger brother. 

Daeyeol brushed Ji An's hair while maintaining their eye contact. "I'm so happy for finding your new family. Don't ever forget me, alright?" Ji An nodded and asked for her exit since she was being called  by one of her co-members because she's going to perform next.

 

The last performance is halfway towards its end when suddenly, the light went off. Everyone was in panic. They became quite after a loud bang.

----

"10, 000 dollars for pulling a trigger. Are you in?"

Sungyoon was in the middle of delivering Jjajangmyeon to an apartment building when his friend, Jaeseok called him, and asked if he could go to an alley next to his part-time Chinese restaurant was located at. He was hesitant at first but when Jaeseok dropped the magic phrase "you'll be paid big", he took his friend's intructions and went to the address given to him after his work.

The alley was so dark. It was nearing two in the morning and he was kind of nervous for walking in a familiar yet unfamiliar path. He can't hear anything except for the midnight breeze that kissed his face, eventually bringing goosebumps under his covered arms.

It took him half an hour to reach the place where Jaeseok told him. And again, he was hesitating to open the door or not. As if on cue, the door opened in front of him. He was greeted by a man in his thirties. Sungyoon could compare him to those goons whom he had seen in several movies. Those who offer special deals like killing people. 

He motioned Sungyoon to go inside of something he could compare to a portal. Somewhere that could bring him to another universe. By stepping inside, Sungyoon could already smell the mix of strong alcohol lingering into the thin air inside this portal, and smoke brought by cigarette sticks. He just entered an underground clubbing site where young people were welcomed to drink all night. He coughed and felt like he would never get to breathe properly again. He was on the verge of passing out because of lack of air when a door greeted him once again.

The man whom he met a while ago pushed the door open. And there, he saw a very familiar face no one in their country wouldn't recognize of. 

When the goon-looking-man saw that he was just there standing, and didn't make any movements. He snapped at Sungyoon and blurted, "Where is your manners, ? Don't you see the person in front of you?" And because of this, he was brought back to his senses.

In a bat of an eye, he folded his body and bowed down to the person in front of him. He didn't say anything for he was still astounded for everything that was happening.

A while ago, his friend called him up and gave an address. He was greeted by a scary man and now he's standing in front of the country's second highest leader---the Vice President.

Seeing the young man in front of him folded into a full ninety degrees bow, the Vice President finally spoke. "Have you held a trigger?"

This question startled Sungyoon. Thus, he suddenly straightened his stance and said, "Eh?!"

"I asked you. I said, if have you ever held a gun?"

The question had left him dumbfounded. A lot of things are starting to fill his mind. He realized that he musn't have moved his feet to this address. His thoughts were cut when the Vice President talked again.

"10, 000 dollars for pulling a trigger. Are you in?"

He didn't answer.

"Choi Sungyoon, twenty three years old. Living alone since you left a children's welfare five years ago. I see that you don't have any family." His gaze went up again to meet Sungyoon's eyes as he slowly dropped the paper that contained all the information about the man in front of him.

"You just have to kill someone. Is it that hard? You just have to kill the son of our President Lee, Lee Daeyeol. That's all."

And by this statement, Sungyoon's throat dried up. No matter how hard he try to produce saliva in his mouth, he just couldn't. The Vice President seemed to see that this mission was very easy for someone like him. 

He decided to turn his back and was inches away from the door when the authoritative man spoke again. 

"I'll definitely clear your name from all the crimes you did like what's this, the one I read earlier? The theft and theft again. You have three theft cases. By doing this, you will never have to steal. Your name will also be cleared. Easy as one, two, three."

He was about to open the door again when the Vice President spoke.

"You leave or you'll end up in prison? Don't you know that one of your theft cases led to a death of a grandmother? She tried to chase you after you stole something in her fruit stand when she was hit by a car? Think of it. I can easily call the cops and have you cuffed soon."

This time, the Vice President stood up from his seat and walked towards Sungyoon's direction. He whispered something in the young man's ear.

"Kill Lee Daeyeol or swim in your pool of blood? It's your fault going here. There's no way for you to escape this mess."

---

BREAKING NEWS:

A man in his 20s died in the annual gathering of Abandoned Children Welfare Organization yesterday. He shot himself in the midst of the event. The man, named Choi, was believed to have taken his life in front of a lot of people. A note was found in his pocket saying that the Vice President Kang Jongmin ordered him to kill the country's first son, Lee Daeyeol. Lee Daeyeol was reported to be in shock by the happening. He was also seen rushing towards the young man in the hopes of saving Choi. According to those who have seen the event, President Lee's son tried to stop the bleeding with his handkerchief.

On the other hand, Vice President Kang was brought to the Prosecutor's Office this morning for further investigations. Many political paties believe that the VP must have schemed this because of the upcoming elections. Stay tuned for more updates according to this matter.

---

"Sungyoon-ah, hold the trigger properly! How many times must I tell you. Tsk."

Bang

"Okay, you missed the aim again. I've been teaching you for two hours now."

He smiled at me. His smiles that could bring calmness in me. It's still snowing outside, and the last time I check, we're still midway winter, but his presence is like spring.

He stood at my back, positioned my back in the correct posture, and s his arms to my arms, hands held mine. 

"This is how you should shoot." 

He probably felt the stiffness of my body.

"Oho, looks like our boy here is nervous."

Of course I'm nervous. You're so close to me. You are so close to the point I can smell the mint in your mouth. I can feel the heaving of your chest behind me. 

"Breathe with me, alrgiht? Inhale, exhale. Inhale, exhale. Are you good?"

I glanced to my left without knowing you were already looking at my way. Your eyes, your nose, and your lips. Everything is just so perfect. 

I nodded. And with you guiding my hand, I was able to hit the target.

"I'm teaching you how to pull a trigger because you know. It can be a hobby of yours since I feel bored whenever I'm alone. My brother is waaaay younger so I can't bring him here. It's a good thing I became a benefactor in ACWO. I was able to have a friend like you." 

You smiled again. I wanted to melt.

"You must protect yourself all the time."

I can feel the pounding of your heart. The life in me.

No. It will be the other way around. I will protect you even if it costs my life.