Men Are All Like That

Summer Rain

Halmeoni was in the livng room, talking to Soo Mi's father. She had already started boiling thepot of broth; Eun Kyo decided to cut the vegetables first. The brown skinned girl pulled out the cabbage and carrots, and began to work. Her brows furrowed, a frown on her face. Once again, her prejudice against men seemed to be justified.  They were all nothing but selfish, shallow people, who didn't care who they hurt. It certainly had turned out that way with her parents.

Eun Kyo wasn't like the other school girls. She was of mixed race, African American and Korean. She was quite lovely, with brown eyes and skin, long straight black hair, and full lips. Her mother was from America and had come to Busan on a business trip where she met her father, the owner of a chain of motorbike shops. One thing led to another and the two fell in love. But when the man found out that the woman was pregnant, he became enraged.He wanted nothing to do with the child, or her mother, saying it would be embarrassing to raise a mixed child out of marriage. His mother was ashamed of her son's ways and offered to care for the foreigner and the child. When Eun Kyo's mother passed away when the child was only three, the older woman decided to raise her on her own. The girl only spoke Korean and carried all of the mannerisms of a Korean girl of her age, the only difference was in her looks. And some people, often boys, noticed this fact.

All of a sudden there was a knock at the door, pulling the teenager away from her thoughts. She went over to answer it, sliding the screen door gently back. Her scowl deepend. There, standing ssoaking wet, was Ha Dong Hoon. He wore a bright yellow bandana and matching shorts, a look of bewilderment on his face.

"Soo Mi ssi, yeogi isseo? (Is Soo Mi here?)"

"Ne. Geunyeo jago isseo. (Yes, she's sleeping). I'll go get her--"

"Wait!" Ha Ha grabbed Eun Kyo by the arm, just as she turned to go back inside. "Dont call her," he continued, "I'm meeting up with Da Bin, I just came to get the earring back."

"Mwo?" Da Bin, who wore the shortest skirts and the biggest earrings, had kissed practically every boy in school; she certainly wasn't the smartest student as shown by her reputation. Eun Kyo couldn't believe what she was hearing! He actually stood up Soo Mi for Da Bin?? Scoffing, she went back into the kitchen where the diamond stud sat on the countertop. Slamming the earring into the boy's hand she said,"I hope you at least clean it off before giving it to Da Bin!"

The teenage boy flinched from the words, as if she had slapped him in the face. With a hurt expression, he turned and walked up the road, Eun Kyo watching him as he went. 

"Namjaga da geurochi mwo (Men are all like that)." she said to herself, as the rain began to fall.