Ripples

Ripples

When the whole world became my battlefield, I built a fortress higher than the sky—a fortress that no one could destroy no matter how they try. I didn’t need anyone’s help. I am my own army and I could defend myself with all weapons and shield. No one could break my walls. No one could hurt me. I am my own strength and I could do everything on my own.

It was not hard to live alone. In fact, life was so much easier if there were no people around. When there are no people, I become so free, I can do everything I want and I can be myself. No one would judge. No one would stop me. No one would crush my heart.

And this new life I had now? I would surely enjoy this. An abode far from nightmares, a place full of strangers, a home filled with same new things…this was what I had long been dreaming for. I couldn’t be any happier to be here. This was the best thing that happened to me.

I wouldn’t let go of this. I would make everything stay the perfect way. I would not let anyone enter my world.

-Jaehyun

--

 

I don’t wonder why he remains in my thoughts until this trench of night. He is the moonlight spread through the vast sea, and it’s hard to forget how he makes the empty ripples glow and glitter. His eyes…his eyes shine despite being tainted black, and even in the dark, his beauty resonates—that everything becomes bright.

I want to see him—clearly, under the bright sun where I can see every detail of his face. I want to know him, and know how much more beautiful he can be when he smiles.

-Taeyong to Jaehyun, who was sitting in the middle of the dark, looking right through Taeyong’s eyes.

--

 

I was ready to see a good morning when I opened the door, but I was greeted with a man standing at my doorstep.

“Hello,” he said, smiling at me.

It was him again. The man insistently looking at me through the window, like he wanted to invade my territory and bug my peaceful abode.

I shut my door and turned around. Talking to a pryer was not my thing.

“I wonder what’s so hard in greeting back,” I suddenly heard from behind. “Does it hurt you to give others a smile?”

I halted. Triggered.

“I just want to say that I’m your new neighbor,” he said. “I live one door apart from you, but I don’t think you care. Anyway, I still care to know who you are. Can you tell me your name?”

Who was he to talk to me like that, like he was a friend who could approach me however he wanted and say whatever he pleased?

I didn’t speak.

“Never mind,” he said. “It’s nice to meet you though, Mr. Jung Jaehyun.”

I turned back when I heard my name from him. How did he know? I got leery. This man was evil. He was a dangerous identity stealthily invading people’s lives and retrieving confidential information with ill intention.

“Your t-shirt…it’s back to front,” and then he chuckled.

I looked down my shirt, and then I realized that my neckline was higher than my collarbone, and my nametag could still be pinned at the back that was supposed to be in front.

“So you’re a waiter,” he added, and gestured like he wanted to peek over my nametag again. He grinned and shrugged when I tilted my back away from him. “Thanks for letting me know though. Have a good day!”

He waved at me and then left.

Good day? My goodness.

-Jaehyun

--

 

pain skater draft #1.