Reality

Mafia's Mask

I went back to my room right away after finishing my conversation with Dongwan. I need to get the facts straight. I need to analyze everything from the beginning. It looks like none of them is the antagonist even if it appears that all of them are the sins that were mentioned on my father’s death.

I got my journal from my bag right away so I can right down the flashbacks that I had earlier only to find out that there are additional pages missing on it. My heart raced immediately with anxiousness how can this happen?

I trembled as I recall the pages which were gone. It started on the part when I went here for a business trip; everything – my presentation, the result, the cancelled flight, the interrogation room up to the latest happening since yesterday. They were all gone.

This made me curious and alert. Unlike the days before I came here, I am no longer having memory lapses. Someone messed up with my things while I am busy collecting information and I am thinking that I don’t have any reason to doubt the six men that I just met.

I need to calm down. I closed my journal like nothing happened.

I decided to just proceed and take a shower instead since my clothes are now available to wear. They were all neatly folded at the edge of my bed.

Right before I can put my toiletries on the sink I realized something strange. The necklace that Zena had on the first video that I saw wasn’t this small nor was it like this when I first get reconciled with my uncle. The way I see it in front of the mirror and feel it against my skin, it was shrunk to a choker now.

So this is the threat that my fake uncle mentioned. At this rate, this can break my neck and I know that it will be easier to reconstruct my death as a suicide instead. Smart but not neat.

Wait what? What did I just say?

Maybe – I’m just tired. I am starting to imagine things that I shouldn’t.

I decided to soak myself on the strawberry scented bubble bath to relax myself a bit. It is always best to meditate in the comfort room.

As I sat there playing with the bubbles – another set of flashbacks appeared inside my head.

I was in the middle of my job as a college professor in a different country when I received a call from my uncle. I cancelled it since I am still in the middle of a discussion. After a while of endless ringing it stopped.

The moment I checked it, there was a message sitting in my email’s inbox and there was an attached audio and image on it. I downloaded the file hear it.

Ze – zena.” It was the voice of my father. He sounded like he was in in so much anguish. He is having a hard time catching his breath.

This can be my last words to you. Listen carefully my child. The – the sins.” And it got cut abruptly and my heart started to beat like it would like to jump out of my ribs.

My hands immediately clicked on the image sent to me and it was my father’s body lying lifeless on a pool of blood with a head shot right between his eyes. I can’t even cry on the view that I saw. Rage quickly filled my mind and the thought of revenge consumed me.

Even if I saw it already by my own eyes I can’t still believe it. When I returned my uncle’s call, he told me that my father’s remains were burnt by The Sins right after killing him ruthlessly. His ashes reached my house just before I can even pack my things.

I can recognize it right away – with an unreadable penmanship that only certain members of the organization could read Hyesung wrote:

COLLECT AND SELECT THE BROOMSTICKS. DO YOU THINK IT’S FLYING OR STANDING?

With these words fueling my anger I opened up the box and found fine ash in it.

I decided to hunt them down one by one. It’s been a long time since I last saw them. They are the legendary Special Forces group who were personally trained by my father. They were pure headaches when they were still trainees but proved that their detractors wrong by the end of the day. He dedicated his time to them and molded their expertise accordingly because he saw their potential.

My father takes so much pride in them and always makes them as an example whenever he had a chance. He even treated them as his closest keen. I can’t believe they did this to him.

What exactly is the reason behind this whole insanity? I can’t let my father’s pride be trampled just like this. I need to get back to them.

Now the memories, the flashbacks made sense. I can finally comprehend the clips which appears in my head. I am just puzzled why I did not kill them the first time I saw them. Why did I cry? Why did I wipe out the information in my head?