TWO

THE MAN WHO LOVES HER

She managed to walked out of his view before her body started convulsing at the sudden shock of seeing Jay again. She was so overwhelmed with anxiety when she got the call that her brother was being rushed to the Emergency Room that she was caught off guard upon seeing the man who once loved her.  

Her heart was beating so fast that she could have sworn he must have heard the raging rhythm of her unsteady heartbeat. Still in dazed that even after all these years, he could still have so much effect on her.  

"Do not cry. Do not cry. Do not cry." She silently cursed to herself. She felt the wet streams of tears cascade down her cheeks, she tasted the salty solution on her lips, and she knew that in her heart, he was still the man that she loved. Suddenly, she was crying uncontrollably.  

She wasn't sure if she'll ever stop crying if it wasn't the ringtone from her cellphone that caught her attention.  

"Hello?" 

"Meena? It's me." The worried voice of her youngest brother on the other line brought her back to reality.  

"Yes, what do you need? I just left the hospital." 

"Well, we might have a problem here." 

"What do you mean?" 

"Kalia just took off with some man that came and picked up her. I don't know where she went but she said she'll be gone for a few days. I saw her going through your stuff earlier too." 

"What?! She took off? I'll be home soon! Keep calling her cell phone. If she picks up, ask her where she's going." She searched my room. The blood drained from her face at the realization of the sin that her sister just committed. Wiping the fresh tears off her face, she hung up the phone and started running towards the bus stop. She didn't have time to cry over old wounds.  

From the staircase view, he watched her slowly walked away. What is she still doing here? Where is she living? Why has she become so reclusive? 

He watched her stopped abruptly to answer a call before running away.  

As he watched her disappeared into the distance, his heart wrenched at the reminder that she was always the one running away from him and disappearing without a trace. Only this time, he made an oath to himself that he will never chase after her again.  

The beeper from his white coat started beeping. Determined to lock away any more thoughts of her, he walked back into the hospital.