the beginning

jagiya (i mean it)

“I’ve told you fifty times over, Kwon Soonyoung, I am not going back to visit my family. Period,” Jihoon scowls. “Come on, Jihoonie,” Soonyoung whines. Jihoon’s eye twitches in annoyance at the nickname that he honestly can do better without. “No.”

The two are in Soonyoung’s apartment. The big bay windows that Soonyoung adore and only got the apartment for are closed because of the bone-chilling rain outside that they got caught up in a few moments ago.

They are wrapped up in one of the massive knitted blankets that Soonyoung always has lying around (‘Just in case,’ Soonyoung always says) with steaming cups of hot tea that warms up their frozen fingers. Soonyoung’s giant Labrador, Byeol, is napping on Jihoon’s lap, and the scene is so domestic and would be considered perfect if they weren’t arguing.

“But Jihoonie,” Soonyoung says. “Why not? It’s been years since the argument. They can’t possibly hold a grudge that long.”

Jihoon sighs. “But Soonyoungie,” he says, mimicking his boyfriend. “If I’m still this adamant about not seeing them, trust me on the fact that they’ll hate seeing me even more.”

Soonyoung frowns, settling into the soft covers. Jihoon thinks that he’s given up already, closing his eyes and sipping his tea.

“I got it!” Soonyoung suddenly exclaims, sitting up. Byeol barks, obviously feeling his owner’s enthusiasm and wanting to join him. The dog stands, and its full weight falls on Jihoon’s crotch, causing him to bark in pain and push Byeol into Soonyoung’s lap. His ever-loving boyfriend starts laughing. “What?” Jihoon grouches after the pain is bearable.

“You come back with me!” Soonyoung says, still snorting. “You can meet my family too—two birds with one stone.” Jihoon’s eyes bulge comically. “Me? Go to back to Namyangju with you?” Soonyoung nods triumphantly, like he discovered the cure to cancer. “Yep! They’ll love you, I promise,” he says without a shred of doubt.

“Soonyoung, I don’t think—” Jihoon says, only to be cut off by Soonyoung’s cheery trill into the phone’s receiver when his mother picks up. “Mom! My boyfriend is lonely for Chuseok…” His voice trails off as he stands up and ventures into the kitchen with his cup cradled in hand.

Jihoon sighs, reaching down for his own cup of tea that Soonyoung had set down on the floor earlier so it wouldn’t spill over. “Why didn’t you stop him, huh?” Jihoon asks Byeol, knowing full well it won’t answer. The dog barks happily at him, plopping back down on his lap.

“Useless mutt,” Jihoon mutters, petting it.

 


 

That’s why Jihoon finds himself outside Soonyoung’s apartment at o’clock.

Jihoon waits impatiently outside the door, since he’s still mad at Soonyoung for proposing that they arrive early to surprise his family, thus forcing them both to get up at five in the morning. When the door opens, though, he can’t help but be endeared at the sight of his sleepy face and an excited Byeol.

“Come on, baby,” he whispers. “Let’s get you into the car.” He turns to the dog. “You too, mutt,”

“Can I sleep in the car?” Soonyoung sleepily mumbles. “The whole ride,” Jihoon promises. Soonyoung mutters an assent, still clinging on to Jihoon as they make their way to Jihoon’s car parked outside.

Jihoon types in the address Soonyoung mumbles to him into the GPS and sets off. The thirty minute ride to Namyangju is uneventful, with the exception of Soonyoung waking up in the middle of the ride to announce a toilet break and Byeol barking every five minutes. At one point, Jihoon thinks about throwing the dog out of the car while Soonyoung is sleeping, but ultimately decides against it.

Soonyoung will be sad if he does.

 


 

“We’re here!” Soonyoung shouts at the same time the GPS robotically says, ‘You have arrived at your destination’. Jihoon sighs. “I can see that, babe,” he mutters, parking the car.

Soonyoung’s family home is much like any other house in the suburbs, two storeys tall and painted beige and white. The only thing making this particular house different from others was that Jihoon might ultimately meet his demise here. “Come on, Byeol-byeol,” Soonyoung sing-songs, said dog jumping out as Soonyoung opens the door for him.

The dog and its owner make enough of a ruckus that a child peeks out of the front door. Her eyes (shaped like Soonyoung’s, Jihoon notices) crinkle with laughter and she turns back to yell, “Soonyoungie’s here!”

The gates open, and Soonyoung slips in with Byeol hanging dangerously from his arms, leaving Jihoon to fend for himself. Jihoon grunts as he hoists two luggage carriers and a box of what Jihoon presumes are Soonyoung’s and his gifts to Soonyoung’s family.

When he finally makes his way into the house, he is immediately bombarded by exclamations and questions.

“Is that Soonyoungie’s boyfriend?”

“He looks like a kid!”

“Why is he so short?”

Jihoon grits his teeth, because he did not need to be reminded of his younger appearance or his (to be honest) lacking height. “Guys, don’t treat him like that!” Soonyoung laughs, coming to take the box from Jihoon. “Jihoonie doesn’t like being teased; he’s prickly.”

Jihoon scowls at him, ing Soonyoung’s bag at him. “It’s yours,” he mutters. “Ah, I have to put my bag upstairs,” Soonyoung says to the children. They whine, and Soonyoung laughs, petting their heads. “I promise to not take too long.”

They hike up the stairs, throwing their carriers onto Soonyoung’s bed in his room. “We can unpack later,” Soonyoung assures him. Jihoon doesn’t say anything for a while, uncomfortably shifting. “Your cousins love you, huh?”

Soonyoung smiles, eyes turning into slits. “They’ll love you too, Jihoonie. I promise.”

Jihoon finally looks up to look Soonyoung in the eye. “But what if they don’t? What if they decide I’m not good enough for you, or something like that?” Jihoon frets. “I don’t want you to leave me,” he finally whispers, barely audible to his own ears.

“Jihoonie,” Soonyoung whispers. “You’ll be okay. I promise. We’ll be okay.” Jihoon smiles back, even if he still doubts it.