Here's to my twenties

I shouldn't love you yet I do

It was a Friday evening right after study meeting when Wooshin had taken up the courage to offer Miyeon to drive her home and finally ask her out. Awkwardly, it turned out to not be a date in her eyes. She was dressed prettily and had put on make up as usual the next evening, a warmer Saturday, but despite from drinking coffee and eating some of her favorite cake while talking a little about school and home, nothing else happened. There was no shyness from her, no special smiles exchanged, giggles, no attempts to hold hands. Nothing. Meanwhile Wooshin felt like his heart was going to burst being alone with her despite all these people around them in the cafe. She made him forgot what was around them and relieved the stress from the gang as it had gotten a little turbulent since the last couple of days.
His slightly sweaty hands grabbed the coffee again, careful this time as it already had slipped out of his grasp before. She was actually very talkative and not shy at all. Wooshin couldn't pinpoint if it was because she was a) just her outgoing self as usual or b) didn't get shy because she was just not interested.
I really don't know how this works...
Was she even supposed to get shy? Was this his indicator that she didn't like him, that she didn't show any shyness?
Why is love so hard and confusing?
Minsoo was definitely better at this despite the same lack of experience.
Wooshin's eyes shot up as his best friend's name slipped from her lips, "Xiao got better at basketball.", she complimented his best friend and took another bite of the chocolate cake, smiling as the sweet taste spread in , "Do you really not want any?", she asked quickly, mouth still full from the bite before. Wooshin chuckled and shook his head at her. Every other girl would be too careful about her appearance and image and never talk with her mouthful, yet someone like Miyeon didn't care. He caught himself thinking that it was adorable.
"I like vanilla more." Her face scrunched up and she stopped munching on her cake, "Gross." Wooshin couldn't help it but to laugh again, quickly putting his hand in front of his mouth to hide his smile. He slowly relaxed and his hands had stopped sweating.
"Anyways", she said as she took another sip of her coffee, "Do you think I can ask him if he wants to join the basketball club?"
Wooshin wasn't so sure why she would ask that, but he did notice the shy glance that went back to her cake and then up to him. Was it because of him or because of mentioning Xiao?
Why are you so confusing?
"As far as I know he isn't that much into sports, but you can try, I guess.", he answered truthfully. Xiao wasn't a stay at home person or lazy, but Wooshin can't a time where Xiao had joined a sports club. He didn't even want to join the older's taekwondo club back then, so why would he want to join some random basketball club now?
Suddenly he was caught off guard and his heart started beating faster as Miyeon putted her elbows onto the table and propped her hand into the palms of her hands. "I want to spend more time with him.", she confessed, looking out of the window that gave few to the setting sun. Wooshin was Xiao's best friend, she could be honest with him and she trusted him.
The black haired now looked down onto the circle that his coffee was forming, still steaming hot but not the same as from minutes before. Of course she likes Xiao. Everyone always likes Xiao.

Whatever it was, somehow these meetings between just the two of them continued despite it not being the kind of date that both Minsoo and Wooshin had planned for them. Their body contact stayed the same, a small hug as a greeting, nothing to tight and nothing to close yet whenever they greeted each other and bid goodbye he could smell that perfume of hers. It was a chocolate flavor and he should dislike since he isn't much into chocolate, yet he enjoyed the fragrance and wished the hug would last longer than two seconds.
"I'm glad we are spending more time together.", Miyeon confessed as she took a small piece of strawberry cake onto her fork and let him take a bite. It was some kind of ritual they had started after having this meet up every Saturday evening for over 2 months now. They each bought a cake the other one liked more, to try it out, meanwhile having the other one have a bite of their favorite. Therefore they might discover a new favorite cake while still getting something of the one they would've actually bought.
Wooshin looked back at her with a small smile, yet this faded quickly and he covered it by drinking the last bits of his coffee left. He knew she didn't mean it like that. She didn't have romantic feelings for him. She liked his best friend and had made it clear multiple times.
"I had always wanted to spend more time with you next to the group hangouts, like how I often spend time next to the others with Minsoo. But...", she tried to come up with the right words as her voice had slowly faded out. Just as Wooshin she wasn't a person of words, but of actions, despite being a big talker, " I didn't want you to feel awkward and uncomfortable around me and the group, especially since you haven't been with us for long.", Miyeon explained and finished it with laughter. It was clear that she was shy about it as she was quickly hiding behind her hand. She had never done that before, Wooshin noticed and blinked at her multiple times in confusion. That was his habit. She never had hid while laughing at something.
"It's fine.", he answered, trying to sound as unaffected as possible and waved it off with his hand, "I would've just told you I'm not interested and the awkwardness would've been gone. I'm not someone to hold anything against another." Miyeon thanked him for being so honest and carefree. No, he wasn't carefree at all. He was just experiencing the most normal thing Minsoo and him had talked about a couple of weeks ago. Heartbreak. And it made him feel alive and - most importantly - like a normal 20 year old.
It probably would sound sick if he would tell someone he's meeting up with the girl of his dreams despite knowing that she is not interested in him but in his best friend and friendzoning him from time to time, but he had become addicted to this feeling over the months now. The Saturday evening meet ups made him forget the stressful clients and the hard fights. It was a pain his heart liked, to say it like that. Wooshin wasn't even listening to what she was talking about anymore as Xiao had slipped from her lips once again. He just took a bite from the mint chocolate covered cake and smiled to himself.
Thank you, Minsoo.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm back after a week! I have already written everything until Chapter 10, but I feel like nobody is really reading this and I'm writing it for myself T.T Yet I will not give up! I never finished a story ever and I don't want anyone to come across this fanfic in 5 years and be sad that it suddenly stopped right into the story since we are slowly getting it rolling here. Anyways, how did you guys like their comeback? I'm so in love with this album! I was actually listening to it just now while finishing Chapter 10. What is your favourite b-side?