Wilderness

Wilderness

Rimy, sickly, purple fingertip slowly traced the broken wooden board which seemed to be broken down by a savage animal not too long ago. The bitter gale that is repeating its task of thrashing the ill-fated boy’s fragile back doesn’t show any sign of sympathy on the life that is slowly drained away by its work.

“How did this all happen?” reiterated the lad. Lying front down on the ivory snow ornament with descending snowflakes, the frail inert body of the boy has stopped reacting to the freezing of his surroundings; hence, he cannot even think straight anymore. His face tilted sideways due to the resistance force of the fall; he blankly observes the breath-taking scenery in front of his, literally. His dry pale lips fish out the visible carbon dioxide every half second, but nothing seems to come back in.

The air slowly drained from his internal lung; the frosty breeze slowly took over his body and cut everything inside his. He could still feel the ache in his head and hear the ringing at the back of his head. The sharp pain and lack of air gradually take away his consciousness. He could feel the tiredness growing all over his body … the boy gives in.

He closed his eyes.

Holland America Line is an American-British owned cruise line; a subsidiary of Carnival Corporation & plc. Originating in the Netherlands, the company is now based in Seattle, United States. They have cruises whose destinations include Alaska, the Caribbean, and captivating ports worldwide. Due to the popularity of its previous cruises in Alaska, the company decided to make another freezing trip during February, destination: Northwest Canada.

Hoseok is extremely happy upon hearing this announcement. He hurried home to call for a small meeting at the small book café near his house. After waiting for around two minutes, the ones he has been waiting for finally show up.

Jung Hoseok was a Philippine-born boy who has the brightest and the most charming smile that everyone has ever seen. The twenty-year-old tanned boy is having a small meeting with his two most precious friends – Yoongi and Seokjin. Yoongi is the only best friend that he acknowledged and enjoy spending time with; they knew each other since childhood and have been friends ever since. Seokjin is not his best friend, but his blood sister; they had known each other for a long time, longer than they can even remember. The three friends have a strong bond that appears can never be broken.

“Let’s have a blast this Lunar New Year!”

The discussion is simple: All three of them are Asians from different countries, but due to studying abroad in America, no one really has the time to go back home and celebrate Lunar New Year with their families. To make it worse, for the past eight years since staying in America, nothing interesting happens in America during this big Asian holiday; it’s just three of them, alone together in a book café. Luckily, this year, however, the Holland America Line has them covered; a few days ago, the company offered a cruise around the Northern and Western sides of Canada. The cruise will cover most of the territories of the areas, including the British Columbia, Alaska, Yukon, Northwest Territories, and then to a small port city in Nunavut. The price is affordable for students like them; they even have a discount, too!

Yoongi, being the only boy who doesn’t have that many interests in anything, agrees to the suggestion; he wants to explore new places anyway. Fortunately for him, he needs to add more pictures to his beautiful collection. Seokjin, however, due to long time living near the equator, kind of having some problem with the cruise; because of his unusual internal body temperature being a little bit higher than normal people, he is extremely sensitive to low temperature; even if he used to live in a warm state like Florida, he still felt the cold breeze of the sea.

Somehow, Hoseok and Yoongi managed to convince the ever-stubborn boy to agree to join them; but they didn’t do it the easy way. For some reason, Seokjin has dozed off for a few second before jolts up and has a pale look the very moment he heard the suggestion. “Must be afraid of the cold again,” think Hoseok. With that in his mind, he continues to laugh at his reason.

“It will be fun! Just wear more jackets or thicker clothes than usual!”

Yoongi nodded and said something similar to encourage his friend. Seokjin is being weird right now. Like the rest of the group, Seokjin is also an outgoing boy; he doesn’t look like one, but he is definitely would hype up and filled with energy if they pick the right place, even if the place is a little bit cold. Yoongi usually doesn’t have any problems with his weird pet peeves, because most of the place he is happy with usually have beautiful scenery. Today, however, he just keeps insisting on going somewhere else, anywhere else but this cruise. After a long while of being convinced, he looks like he is in a deep thought, and, finally, nodded.

Filled with joy, Hoseok immediately organized what to do and what to prepare for the one-week trip. Since the cruise will have most of everything, and they will have to spend most of the time on the ship, the three don’t buy anything new, but Seokjin still urges them to buy survivor kits. Hoseok and Yoongi try every way to calm him down, including buying anything that he asks for all of them; it’s not like they can bring most of it on the ship anyway, so they just buy it for the near future.

The next task is to buy tickets for the cruise.

Because all of them live nowhere near Seattle, they call the company instead. The trio gathers in Maria’s room and looks up for Holland America Line contact number on Google. It is not hard to find since the company is popular. Hoseok takes out his phone and dials the line of numbers on his computer screen.

Three rings echo across the room, and then another three rings, and then another three, and just as they think no one will pick up, the ringing stop. A hoarse and sonorous male voice speaks up. Hoseok tells his purpose straight away and asks to buy three tickets to the Canada trip. The voice on the other side stop for a moment then replied full with glee, and a hint of mischievous is heard.

“Oh! Yes! The Canada cruises. Right! Please tell me your information and your friends’, I will be working on it right away.”

Though still suspicious of that tone of voice, Hoseok enjoys spending time with his friends more, so the whole process doesn’t take very long. The cruise is settled on the third day after Lunar New Year and last for a week. The company is said to have a discount of around ten percent during February, especially for students. The price of the cruise will cover the fuel, the accommodations, the food, and permission to cross the border to Canada. Since there are three of them, the discount raises up to twenty-five percent for all three tickets.

School and job are not a problem to them. They have been good students and workers for years now, so everyone kind of letting them be. The kids only need a week off, so why not let those conscientious brains have a rest for a while? Happily hugging their teachers and managers, the trio packed up their suitcases and left for the unaware treacherously journey.

Four days have passed, and it is probably the best four days of New Year that the trio has ever had in years. They did some sight-seeing, then partying, then New Year gambling, then eating, then repeated all over again, but with a different location and different flavor to everything. It was wild.

Hoseok, being the most outgoing person in the group, was having a huge blast of his own the moment he stepped on the ship; he was the one who would drag Yoongi and Seokjin all over the places, telling them stories and made them talk with strangers to be more “sociable.” He found a hunting knife sometimes during one of their rowdy moment, nobody seemed to own it, so he kept it in their shared room.

Yoongi was the one who would take pictures of everything with his beloved Nikon D850; “a gift from a relative,” he said, but Hoseok and Seokjin know him well enough to know that little devil is filthy rich so he can afford the camera. He was satisfied with the whole trip, so far, so he had no argument when got dragged by a too-energetic person. Funny thing is, even though he looks more shut-in than the other two boys, he is the most experienced one with outdoor exploring activities, which made him had the biggest role whenever the trio get lost. Also, while he was in the dining room, he found a box of matches, unused, and nobody claims it, so he keeps it next to the bed lamp.

Seokjin also relaxed a little bit during this past four days, thankfully; he got scared for a little bit because the cruise just wouldn’t let them (read: him) bring the kit on the board, but later on he found an unclaimed backpack with high protein food inside, and a lot of them, too; again, no one claimed it so he just kept it under his bed.

They just travel pass Alaska and now near the Yukon Territories on the fourth day. The scenery is just plain stunning. The fishes that they caught while enjoying the view is in their stomach; and, boy, ain’t it tastes so lusciously? Because of the overwhelming excitement with food, all of them passed out before noon.

Hoseok is the only one to wake up at night. He looks around the room and is surprised to see how messy of a state it is in right now. Their suitcases lie everywhere, their clothes also spill out of the case. Their personal belongings also get mixed up. The doors to their closets and bathroom are wide open; he can faintly see the corner of something that looks like toothpaste and toothbrushes lying on the ground.

Yoongi is sleeping in one of the cardboard boxes that are full with food two days ago; the small box cannot hold his long legs, so he just let his legs stay outside, with only one sock on and the other is nowhere to be found. Seokjin is sleeping upside down and his upper half is falling out of the bed; he always has his hugging pillow with his, so the thing helps the lad from having a flow of blood flushing toward his head; it would be painful if he stays like that pillow-less the whole night. Hoseok seems to be normal, at least he is still fully on the bed when he woke up; and for this whole reverse of shirt and pant that he is wearing right now, he won’t say anything about it.

Totally taken back by the whole situation, Hoseok tries to recollect what really happened this morning, but his head hurts whenever he tries to think. In the end, he gives up and just goes back to sleep.

Being waking up by the coldness is the last thing the lad is expecting. Is not all rooms have air conditioners? He knows the answer, that’s why he is more confused and determined to fully comprehend what is going on and before he is frozen to death. Yes, it is that cold.

What the lad doesn’t expect to see the moment he opens his eyes is white, pure white snow. Furthermore, the fact of how he even gets here is a huge enigma. The last thing he could remember is waking up to a huge mess in his room very late at night, with his friends sleeping soundly nearby, and that’s it. But before he can think of anything else, a breeze sweep over his place and the coldness of it hit his back to reality.

He needs to get out of here.

But how?

The lad tries to look around for something, anything that might help his to survive. A brown object catches his eyes. He crawls over the said object that is not that far away from his. The thing is barely ten feet away from his, but it takes his almost ten minutes to crawl over. With each of the step he takes, a sharp pain strikes up his whole body and beats the living daylights out of each part of his body; he feels like a person whose body is too numb to move after sleep in for too long, and he is breaking his bones in order to be moveable. He can hear the rigid joints of his body snapping and cracking with each shift he makes, and the gelid snow does help very much with adding more pain to the already suffered boy. The whole experience is like being boiled alive in a giant stove of oil, but with the opposite temperature, and more throbbing than falling feet first from a three-story building.

Thankfully, he wakes up with extremely warm clothes that he probably wore unconsciously while sleepwalking, so he is saved from the friction of his skin with the bitter snow that he might have to face if he doesn’t have a jacket with his. Also, thanks to his body heat that keeps producing while he is being active and the jacket that keeps it in, his stiff joints start to relax and he is able to move faster after around five minutes.

He lets out a relieved breath as he finally gets a hold of the bag. He sweats a lot due to the unceasing pain of his body, but the liquid drop becomes frozen before it even has a chance to meet the ground. This is draining his energy, and that is certainly not a good sign. He hugs the bag and tries to move to the nearby tree. The pain shots up again, but not as painful as it used to be, he can endure it; this is not the worst he has ever had.

Leaning on the solid, crispy root of the frondless tree, his trembling hands seek for the opening button. The stuff inside of the bag makes his almost cry out in joy. A hunting knife, many vacuum bags of biscuits and fishes, a box of matches, and two pairs of warm clothes. Looking up at the sun, then back down at his feet; his shadow merely stretches that far away from his, so he guesses it is somewhere around 11 A.M. or 1 P.M. right now. The temperature is menacingly low, not as cold as Russia where he used to have a vacation around five years ago, but still pretty cold due to his unaccustomed and unprepared for the whole situation.

After sitting for a long while, he stands up and begins to look for shelter. Thankfully, long time of exposing to wildlife has built up his physique and adaptation pretty well, or else he would have died before he even opens his eyes. The lad twists and turns his whole body-parts to heat up and become more active. Now it is either his friends noticing that he is missing, or everyone just gets in the same situation as his, or the captain notices that he is missing while having a roll call on the last day, or gets out of this hellhole himself.

He can cope off with the temperature during the day, so let just take this time to make a temporary shelter. Convenience, there is a small camping tent in the bag. Setting up the tent, the boy scoops up the snow with his gloves and stacks it on the outside of the tent, and he won’t stop doing that until the snow cover up around two inches, save for the entrance. The whole process takes his more than half an hour; it could have been faster if the snow could just stay still on and not falling down. He guesses that he is in Yukon Territories right now, and when the nightfall, the place with experiences extremely frigid temperature and he might not be able to survive through night one.

The lad immediately gets inside the tent which set just outskirt of the forest. He doesn’t want to get eaten alive by a ravenous pack of wolves, but at the same time, he doesn’t want to get too far away from the main essential source of the fire. He lugs in the seemingly not that heavy bag at settling it at the corner. He figures that he will have enough food for the next three days, and could even last longer because of the amount of food he consumes in daily (at first, it was a diet plan, but somehow it becomes a habit); and better yet, since he was having a full on out with food with his friends the night before, he is still replete with food and energy; and once he is full, he can stay like this for a whole night without any food. The white outline of his flaxen tent also protects him from being spotted by any animals.

Wrapped himself up with nothing left out and a sweet lullaby from the howling gale outside, he falls asleep.

It was a bad decision.

He wakes up on the second day with a throb in his stomach, a pain in the head, and sore on his whole body. His stomach is grumbling and demanding its essential need – food. He uncovers himself from the thick extra clothes and reaches for the bag.

Nothing.

His eyes wide open and filled with an ultimate terror. His heart palpitates and seems to stop for a moment. He cannot breathe, he knows that he is not breathing; the pain of his lungs from the lack of oxygen creeps up his choked neck, and then up to his pulsated brain; it feels painful, like when he was young and play with a razor, making him bleed his thigh, and this is far worse than that. The combination of choking, pain, and headache are all that it needs to smack his responsive instinct off.

Nothing is inside. The food is totally disappeared. No trace of opening and no sign of intruding by any animal. Then how? Why? And when? He didn’t see, hear, or even feel any movement last night and also this morning, and he is a light sleeper! What kind of animal could have run into the tent, snatched the food out of a sealed bag, and escaped peacefully without making a sound?

Thankfully, he keeps most of the food wrapped up with his because he doesn’t want to eat frozen food in the morning; but now it is the only food that is left for his poor soul. His hunting knife and the box of matches are put in his side pockets; they are important survival kit, he needs to keep them close to his; thank God that he did those.

Checking his shadow again, he guesses that it is around some time before noon, because of the direction of his shadow, as well as the not-so-deadly temperature. Before the trip even started, he packed in lots and lots of chunky jackets; he has those as souvenirs during his trip in Russia, a way colder country than Canada (in his opinion); turns out they are his life savior today.

After eating some biscuits, barely five, he takes out his hunting knife and set out for a day. He gets out of his tent, packs up everything, and then move Eastward. He figures it out that if he really got washed into the shore (which sound impossible but that is the only reasonable reason right now), he might be somewhere near the sea; the landmass of the north side of Yukon is not really that big compared to the rest of the state, and by moving eastward he might encounter a village or a city; or even luckier, saved by someone who is on their vacation fully prepared.

But first, he needs to hunt for food and search for woods. Obviously that he already has food, but he wants to get more meat, and that’s exactly what he is lacking right now. Woods is, beyond doubt, for fire. He needs fire to cook the meat (if he manages to hunt down some), warm himself, and chase away predators (she is not so sure what he will have to do if stumble across a grizzly bear, a caribou, or even worse, a moose; that, he would have to put his faith in luck). One reason he didn’t try to make any fire last night is because he didn’t want to attract any creatures near there, and he didn’t really need it since his tent was protected from the chill thanks to the thick snow.

The whole day goes smoothly for his. He manages to catch a few snowshoe hares. They were hard to catch but easy to be tricked, so it didn’t waste much of his energy. Thank God again that he didn’t get deserted in Alaska or Manitoba!

Two days have almost passed and everything seems to turn out great for his. “I will make it!” think the lad excitedly. His experiences outdoor in the wilderness and convenience in supply have made everything look easy, making his uneasiness and fear slowly fades away. But as the boy cheered himself up for motivation, Mother Nature decided to end his little pathetic hope and life with his nature child, as a way to rescue this poor little soul that is unable to foretell the dreadful future he has to face.

As if to play with his head, a voice of Death resounded behind his the moment he is determined by his goal. He doesn’t dare to turn back his head to face it; he doesn’t and won’t ever do it. The fear slowly taking over his body again. His brain becomes foggy; his pupil dilated with horror; he can feel his adrenal glands react with instinct by going into overdrive and flooding his whole body with adrenaline; the flow of his blood just rushes straight to the extremities of his muscle; his hand suddenly tightened around the knife. He knows that this is probably what everyone would experience when in danger, and this is not a good instinct. It is good, but not in his situation.

His tensed and armed posture undoubtedly tick off the savage beast behind his, as he heard it roars piercingly and then… there is no more after that. Hot, dark red blood splattered all over the ivory snow; the flimsy body of the boy flies off the ground in a perfect parabola shape before his back smacked violently onto the trunk that is ten feet away from where he used to stand, and then fall down lifelessly on the chalky surface below his. The beast doesn’t seem too satisfied with only that, for the next moment he can feel the ceaseless stomping on his small back; again and again and again, marching in the anthem of the fracturing of his main body supports, as if still not pleased with the big, red hole that pierced from his front to the back where the beast still tread on.

He doesn’t know how long has passed until the beast left; he doesn’t know if the beast is still lurking near there; he doesn’t even know why he still fully awake, to witness his body slowly broke into piece, with only his skin to connect the shattered segments, to have to feel and endure the ineffable pain with each dreadful step stomped on his, to not be able to just finish his life right then.

“How irony!” think the lad. “Of all of the thing that I could think of that will probably kill me! Hypothermia? Ravenous wolves? Starvation? Grizzly bears? Hah! None! None of those killed me! And in the end, I got gored by a moose! A seemingly affable moose! After barely two days,” He makes a dry but depressed sneer on his blood-covered face; rimy, sickly, purple fingertip from the lack of blood slowly traced the broken wooden piece that broke down when the moose hit itself into the trunk while charging toward his static body. It’s getting harder and harder to breathe now; he is too weak to fish in any oxygen around him, not to tell the amount of carbon dioxide he released already covered up most of the aerial space in front of his.

He can faintly hear a gunshot near there, following with the loud sound of an object falling down. “Karma,” chuckles the boy, “And I’m going to meet mine soon...” He laughed at the memories of his almost always be the last person to get to the meet-up, even if he, himself, started the meeting. “Ah,” he sighs, “they are late. But at least, dying in this breath-taking view isn’t so bad after all…” He laughs upon realizing the pun he just made and closes his eyes.

He feels his body being lifted up carefully as if it will help, he is unable to save right now. The dangling limbs slowly swing which each move the group take while carrying his. He smiles one last time before everything goes completely black.

For some reasons, he could still feel the pain in his head. Isn’t he already dead? How can a dead person be able to know what pain feels like? The next sense that he takes back is olfaction. Coffee. A sweet faint smell of coffee lurking around his. Why coffee out of all things?

He tries to move his “hand,” and he can feel it! He shakes off his head, trying to gain back the view, and finally, jolted up. In front of his is a small round table, with a cup of coffee right in front of his. Is he still alive? Suddenly, a familiar happy and cheerful voice of his sister ring up. He is about to smile at his friend before an announcement struck his.

“Let’s have a blast this Lunar New Year!”

His face turns pale.

A never-ending nightmare.


Small note: In the original version, the trio is supposed to be 2 girls and a guy.
That's why I said Asians from different countries. Because all of my characters are Asians studying abroad in America.
The camera-loving guy was the only dude.
When I decided to transfer it into a BTS fanfic and rename the characters, I was like:
"Hory crap this is perfect for Yoongi!"
For the scared-of-the-cold girl, I just let Jin took the role just because.
The sunshine-hype one took me quite a while to think. After a while it was a showdown between Hoseok and Taehyung, so I just went with Hobie because it fits him more.
(And also he needs more love)
Welp, that's it. I hope you enjoy it!
Please tell me if I make any mistake. (Find and Replace of AFF isn't that good you see...)
Mostly would be gender pronouns problems tho :v
(My friend said that I'm so extra, this thing took me 3 days to write and it took 8 pages in Word.
(You become what you love, simple :v) 
(The bleeding thing playing with razor thing... yeah, that was me when I was little :v)