Until We Meet Again

Until We Meet Again

Taeyong doesn’t get Jaehyun.

 

He finds Jaehyun’s attitude as confusing as a labyrinth and no matter how hard he tries to decipher Jaehyun’s words and actions, he just couldn’t fully understand. Jaehyun would call him in the middle of the night, only to hang up after Taeyong says hi. Jaehyun would flirt with Taeyong, make him feel like the only man in the world, only to have another man in his arms that night. Jaehyun would tell Taeyong he loves him, only to walk away when Taeyong says it back to him.

 

Maybe that’s what makes Jaehyun so addicting.

 

Jaehyun knows how to make a person obsessed, wanting to know more about him. Jaehyun doesn’t reveal anything about himself much, but once he reveals even a sliver of himself, everyone is left with the greed of desiring more and more, until Jaehyun eventually leaves.

 

Taeyong knows this much because he’s seen it before. Two weeks ago, Jaehyun left Nakamoto Yuta once he’s being too clingy. A week ago, Jaehyun dumped Moon Taeil once he told Jaehyun he loves him. Five days ago, Jaehyun ended it with Kim Doyoung because he talks too much. Just yesterday, Jaehyun called it quits with Seo Youngho because he demands beyond what Jaehyun can provide; commitment. You could call it a type of fatal attraction. Everyone wants to be with Jaehyun even though they knew it wouldn’t last.

 

Taeyong has seen it all. And he learnt from others’ mistakes.

 

Maybe that’s how Taeyong could stay by Jaehyun’s side for almost three months.

 

Taeyong knows it’s foolish to want to be together with a guy like Jaehyun. He knows this relationship—or whatever it is that’s going between them—isn’t healthy and he should probably give up and leave before Jaehyun breaks his heart even further. But Jaehyun always manages to come back whenever Taeyong was about to put the weight on deciding to leave on the balance in his mind. And Jaehyun makes it okay again.

 

 

 

 

 

Taeyong’s phone rang when he was already asleep. He doesn’t bother checking the caller ID because only one person would ever call him at this hour.

 

“Hi.” Taeyong said groggily.

 

The other end was silent, like what Taeyong had expected. The next thing he hears would be the unforgiving sound of a long beep, signalling the end of his call. Taeyong waited and waited, but the noise doesn’t come. Is Jaehyun still on the line?

 

“Jaehyun?” Taeyong asks, finally opening his eyes. Jaehyun’s behaviour is unusual today. He listened hard but couldn’t hear any scuffling noise or . Is Jaehyun alone?

 

Taeyong wanted to ask what is wrong, but was reminded of Nakamoto Yuta’s mistake, and kept his mouth shut. He wanted to tell Jaehyun that everything would be fine because he is there for Jaehyun always, but Moon Taeil’s error flashed in his mind. So Taeyong was silent.

 

Taeyong wasn’t counting, but he knew it was a long time when his arm started hurting from holding his phone. He was close to ending the call, assuming Jaehyun had accidentally fell asleep when Jaehyun’s deep voice came from the other end.

 

“Tell me a bedtime story, Taeyong.”

 

Taeyong was wide awake then. His eyes went to the clock he had on his bedside table. It read 3:18a.m. Taeyong couldn’t think of any but he fulfilled Jaehyun’s ridiculous request anyway, he just said the story that was on his mind.

 

“Once upon a time, in a faraway land, there lived two boys, Tommy and Jay. Jay was a prince and Tommy was just a servant boy, working in the palace. Jay doesn’t like to talk much whereas Tommy was the complete opposite. Tommy always wanted to be friends with Jay, and tried to talk to Jay but the prince doesn’t seem to like Tommy a lot.

 

Tommy does not give up and started to pay attention to the prince’s likes and dislikes. Tommy found out that the prince particularly likes dogs and also the bright smile on Jay’s face on the rare occasion that the queen allowed the prince to eat fried chicken. On other days, Tommy notice the frown on Jay’s face during etiquette lessons. Just like this, Tommy notes down new information he’s learnt about Jay.

 

Slowly, Jay started to open up to Tommy and the two grew close. But one day, the queen found out their friendship and was furious. How could a prince be friends with a servant boy? The queen ordered the maids to keep watch on Tommy so he would not see Jay ever again. During that time when Tommy was not allowed to play with the prince, he was devastated. Jay was sad too, because there isn’t anyone to follow him around anymore.

 

Jay took the initiative to see Tommy in his room and Tommy was delighted at the prince’s presence. From that day on, it was Jay’s turn to visit Tommy and the two boys never felt happier. The queen started bringing in other boys who came from rich and noble families but Jay didn’t want their friendship, his heart yearned for the servant boy.

 

One day, Tommy’s parents saved enough money to bring Tommy away from the palace, to start life anew. When the prince heard about this, he was sad. He did not want his best friend to leave his side. Tommy was torn between the decision of staying or leaving, and whatever decision he chose would hurt someone. Tommy was waiting for Jay, because if he said leave, Tommy would leave and if he said to stay, Tommy would stay.”

 

Taeyong paused. He heard Jaehyun’s even breathing through the speaker and wondered if he fell asleep. Taeyong was about to hang up when again, Jaehyun interrupted him.

 

“Good night, Taeyong.”

 

And he hung up.

 

This time, the silence indicated something Taeyong regretted. Taeyong knew he screwed up. He shouldn’t have told Jaehyun that. Why did he made it so obvious? Why did he even say anything at all? He could’ve just recounted the story of Alice getting lost in Wonderland and call it a night. But the past didn’t matter anymore, Taeyong had made the same mistakes as those boys. He revealed his selfish nature and now Jaehyun is going to leave him because of it.

 

Taeyong’s hand fell limp on his bed as a tear slipped out of his right eye.

 

 

 

 

Exactly three days passed without Jaehyun saying a word to Taeyong. No calls, no texts. Silence.

 

In a way, Taeyong expected it since Jaehyun did the same thing to those other boys but Taeyong thought he was special. He was Jaehyun’s longest relationship and somehow Taeyong had thought perhaps Jaehyun loved him the way he had loved Jaehyun.

 

Well, the truth is always harsh.

He stood at his living room, looking at the surroundings and reminiscing moments shared with Jaehyun. Stolen kisses against the hob, heated make-out on the couch, steamy on the floor. Every nook and cranny of his house was concentrated with intimacy and Taeyong couldn’t help but allowed himself to cry. Jaehyun wasn’t being fair to him. How could Taeyong ever forget when the place he’s living in is filled with the scent of Jaehyun?

How he wished Jay would tell Tommy to stay.

How he wished Jaehyun would tell him to stay.

 

 

 

Taeyong finally came to his senses.

Jaehyun dumped him and Taeyong had to accept it. It’s already been a week and it’s no use to keep on waiting. Taeyong was already Jaehyun’s history, even if Taeyong wanted Jaehyun to be his future. Jaehyun moved on and maybe Taeyong should too.

He leased his house, and was in the process of packing everything. Taeyong really couldn’t stay there anymore. Jaehyun’s presence was too strong it was making Taeyong go crazy. Taeyong knows he shouldn’t, but deep inside, he had wished Jaehyun would show up in his doorstep, begging him not to leave. But then again, it was Jaehyun he’s talking about. The Jaehyun that does not do the commitment business. The Jaehyun that wouldn’t allow himself to be in a relationship.

Packing should be done in two days, and after that, it was really goodbye for good.

 

 

 

On the last night, Taeyong went to the club. He wasn’t going to deny it any longer. Not seeing Jaehyun for a month was proving to be impossible for him.

The last time. I’ll just see him for the last time.

He entered the club, the smell of strong liquor and sweaty bodies hitting him in the face. Taeyong headed straight for the bar, where he would be able to see Jaehyun’s spot clearly, but cleverly situated himself so Jaehyun wouldn’t spot him.

Girls were flocking around Jaehyun like usual and Taeyong doesn’t feel too bad about it. He was much more fascinated by how hot Jaehyun looked that night. His usual brown hair was dyed black with his bangs almost covering his dark brown eyes. Taeyong felt he was ready to pass out when Jaehyun gave the girls a y grin. The type of grin where Jaehyun would have a sultry look with a side of his full lips curved up.

Taeyong sipped his drink while staring at Jaehyun with a solemn gaze. It was only until Jaehyun turned to look back at Taeyong, a knowing smile on his face.

Taeyong widen his eyes in shock. How did Jaehyun even know he was there? Half of Taeyong was ecstatic Jaehyun noticed him; he was worthy of being distinguished and the other half was disappointed because that would mean Taeyong had to leave. Taeyong wanted to go against his rule so bad, but stood strong.

He wasn’t there to be in a relationship with him again. He was there just to check up on Jaehyun so he wasn’t doing anything stupid. If that sorry excuse even count as an excuse.

Taeyong finished the content of his glass, left money on the counter and left. No turning back.

 

 

 

Taeyong didn’t know he was being followed. Sometimes he wished he had Jaehyun’s sharpness but how could he stand a chance when he was facing the devil himself?

Jaehyun shoved Taeyong roughly against his front door, trailing kisses down the nape of his neck. If there was one thing Taeyong was good at, it was sticking to his decisions. Taeyong put his hand on Jaehyun’s chest and lightly push him away. Jaehyun couldn’t keep his confusion from showing on his face.

“Taeyong.” Jaehyun said with his deep voice. “Why?”

Why? You were the one who left me alone and ignored me for god knows how long and you’re asking me why?

Jaehyun’s response left Taeyong pissed but he decided getting angry would do nothing to help the situation they were in so Taeyong shook his head. “You should leave, Jaehyun.” He looked down at his feet. Taeyong could see Jaehyun’s chest heave in and out, his breath on Taeyong’s nose.

A smug laugh fell from Jaehyun’s lips. “Stop playing hard to get, Taeyong. You know how much fun I could give you.”

Taeyong felt Jaehyun’s hands and lips touching his body, leaving trails of fire along the way. Usually, Taeyong wouldn’t mind getting teased by Jaehyun like that –hell, he even loved it—but the only thing on Taeyong’s mind right now was how wrong this sensation felt.

“I’m not playing games, Jaehyun. Go away. Now.”

Taeyong felt Jaehyun froze, his lips ghosting above his neck, his hands loosening his grip, his head slowly turning to look at Taeyong. The expression on Jaehyun’s face was one of shock and surprise. Even Taeyong was amazed at himself for managing to say that in such a firm tone but inside, Taeyong’s heart was beating so fast, he thought he was going to pass out there and then. The tension was too much, causing Taeyong to look away again.

“Look me in the eye and tell me you don’t want to see me again.” Jaehyun said, moving his fingers down to Taeyong’s chin, propping his head up.

Taeyong’s eyes were red. He wanted to kiss the hell out of Jaehyun but his resolution was set. He stared straight and hard into Jaehyun’s eyes, making sure no tears fall out.

“I don’t ever want to see you again.”

Jaehyun stared at Taeyong’s face, trying to catch any glimpse of doubt. He knew Taeyong was lying about him leaving, but Taeyong’s way of dismissal was pretty heart-breaking. And Jaehyun wasn’t one to get his heart broken. Not again.

Jaehyun released Taeyong, taking a few steps back. To be honest, Jaehyun wasn’t ready to set Taeyong free yet. There was just something about that doe-eyed boy that intrigues Jaehyun. To Jaehyun, having Taeyong was like a naughty kid still receiving presents from Santa. Taeyong was too nice, too good for Jaehyun.

“Then can you invite me in as a friend?” Jaehyun asked, giving Taeyong a smile.

Taeyong’s heart skipped a beat when he saw Jaehyun’s stunning grin. It wasn’t the y smirk Taeyong was so used to seeing, that smile was genuine and boyish, something even Taeyong has rarely seen. If Taeyong had been paying enough attention instead of focusing on trying to hold pieces of his heart together, he would notice a hint of sadness in Jaehyun’s smile as well.

“Jaehyun, please don’t make this anymore difficult as it is.” Taeyong said.

Jaehyun chuckled self-deprecatingly, finding a new interest in the tiled floor at Taeyong’s doorstep. “How am I making this difficult? You were the one who dumped me. And I’m here right now as a friend.”

Jaehyun lifted his head up slightly and Taeyong held a breath as their eyes meet. “Can’t I be your friend, Taeyong?”

Taeyong blinked in surprise. He would let Jaehyun in, but the situation in his house is a little bit…

Jaehyun put his hands in his pocket. “Well? You’re not letting me in?”

“Fine, come in.” Taeyong inserted the key into the hole and twisted, knowing full well he would regret his decision when he opened the door and Jaehyun stepped in.

Jaehyun’s steps slowed down as he saw Taeyong’s almost empty apartment. What’s left of it was only Jaehyun’s clothes, Jaehyun’s cup whenever he stayed the night, Jaehyun’s shoes (how does his shoes even end up here?). Taeyong averted his gaze downwards, not liking the tense atmosphere. He shouldn’t have allowed Jaehyun to come in. That was a stupid mistake.

“What’s the meaning of this, Taeyong?” Jaehyun asked, without turning back.

Taeyong breathed hard. “I’m moving.”

Silence.

“When?”

“Tomorrow.” Taeyong breathed out.

A heavy feeling weighed on Jaehyun’s chest. Things shouldn’t turn out like this. He shouldn’t be leaving. He shouldn’t leave him.

“And you didn’t bother telling me, Taeyong?” Jaehyun asked.

Taeyong sighed, irritation starting to rise. “What’s the use of telling you? You don’t even care about me anymore.”

Silence again. Taeyong now realized how hilarious their relationship was. It was always silent, to the point where it’s making Taeyong go crazy. Jaehyun would never disclose any information about himself that he deemed unnecessary and their meetings would start with a ‘hi’ and always end up with them falling asleep and Taeyong waking up to an empty bed. Taeyong came to the pitiful realization that Jaehyun probably doesn’t even know his birthday, yet alone his hobbies, favourite food and other things an individual would need to know in a healthy relationship.  

“I guess it’s too late for Jay to tell Tommy to stay, isn’t it?” Jaehyun said sadly, slowly turning around to face Taeyong.

Shock swept through Taeyong’s face. “I—“

Jaehyun stepped closer and with every step, Taeyong retreated until his back touched the wall. Taeyong felt Jaehyun’s hot breath and he breathed harder.

“Jaehyun, please don’t do this.”

Jaehyun slammed both hands at the wall right beside Taeyong, making him flinch. Taeyong was held captive by Jaehyun’s hard glare.

“It’s punishment for not telling me.” Jaehyun whispered and started attacking Taeyong’s neck with kisses. A few was all it took for Taeyong to let out a moan.

It’s been so long…

It had been so long since Taeyong truly felt Jaehyun’s touch that even the slightest contact made Taeyong shiver. Jaehyun trailed his tongue to his collarbone, then moving up to Taeyong’s parted lips.

Taeyong was in a dilemma. He would love to let Jaehyun do whatever he wanted to his body—hell, he would surrender right then and there—but it would mean going through the same process all over again, Taeyong would just get hurt. He could also choose to push Jaehyun away and yell at him to leave, but it could also mean Jaehyun leaving him for good.

But isn’t that what Taeyong wanted in the first place? So why is it so hard now?

“Stop…” Taeyong breathed when Jaehyun started fumbling with his pants. Tears stung Taeyong’s eyes when Jaehyun ignored his cries. His kisses became harder, his touch more demanding and his body way too close to be a normal make-out session.

Taeyong held Jaehyun’s hand tightly.

“Jaehyun. Stop.”

But Jaehyun only shook Taeyong’s hand off and grabbed it, pinning him to the wall.

“Stay. I want you to stay.” Jaehyun suddenly said, leaving Taeyong speechless.

“Jaehyun…” Taeyong trailed off.

“Stay.” Jaehyun stared right into Taeyong’s eyes, the desperation apparent in his voice. “Please?”

Taeyong gulped. He finally heard the words he longed for so long. Taeyong should be ecstatic that Jaehyun felt the same way but instead, anger riled up inside Taeyong.

“You can’t just do this, Jaehyun. You can’t just barge in here and tell me what to do with my life. It’s unfair. You made me feel so loved, then you pushed me away. You can’t just come to me when you need me than throw me away when you don’t feel like it. I’m not your puppet, Jaehyun.

So please,” Taeyong sighed, “leave.”

Jaehyun finally released Taeyong. He slumped dejectedly, looking at the ground.

“I knew this would happen.” Jaehyun uttered under his breath.

Taeyong furrowed his brows. “What?”

“That’s why I don’t want to be in a relationship, Taeyong.” Jaehyun looked at Taeyong sadly. Taeyong noticed there were tears in Jaehyun’s eyes. Taeyong’s heart stopped a bit.

“Because when I fall, I fall hard. And if the person I love leaves me, I won’t be able to take it. I’ve been hurt once, so if you leave me alone,” a tear slipped out of Jaehyun’s eye.

“I might just die.”

Taeyong watched as Jaehyun bent down to carry his belongings. His heart was in pain seeing Jaehyun’s lonely back. Jaehyun may get all the girls and guys he wanted, but inside he was just a lonely boy looking for a comfort place. Taeyong cursed himself for being so empathetic but he just couldn’t bear it any longer, and wrapped his arms around Jaehyun’s waist.

“It’s not too late, Jaehyun. I’ll stay.”

Both of them stayed in that position for a long time. But Taeyong was disappointed when Jaehyun gently took Taeyong’s arms away. He stood up.

“No Taeyong. You’ve made your decision very clear. It’s true I haven’t been treating you right, and it’s all my fault. You were right, Taeyong. I should get out from your life.” Jaehyun said, cradling his things.

Tears flowed from Taeyong’s eyes. “Jaehyun, I said I would stay didn’t I? And I don’t care about—“

“Taeyong, stop. Being with me has hurt you in every way possible and I would never want you to go through that kind of pain again.” Jaehyun said, shaking his head.

Taeyong found it funny and pitiful how the situation has reversed in a matter of minutes, but maybe, just maybe, they can both get the happy ending they so desperately wanted.

“But Jaehyun, I sincerely want to stay here with you!” Taeyong reasoned, holding and pulling Jaehyun back from leaving his apartment. Somehow, Taeyong had a feeling that if Jaehyun took a step out of his house, Taeyong would never see him again.

“Taeyong, please. What you’re saying right now is a spur of the moment thing. You would regret it sooner or later.” Jaehyun said, giving Taeyong a sweet peck.

“Until we meet again, Taeyong. And if we do, I’ll never let you leave my side.” Jaehyun gave Taeyong one last smile, before taking that step out of Taeyong’s apartment, out of Taeyong’s life.

Taeyong stared at Jaehyun’s shadow, watching it retreat further and further until he couldn’t see it anymore. He sank down to his knees, crying his heart out. If he had waited just a little longer, if he could just turn back time and tell himself that Jaehyun actually cared, actually loved, none of this would have happened. He cried until there are no more tears left to be shed, his cheeks sticky from the endless trails of tears and Taeyong thought back to what Jaehyun had said.

Jaehyun said they would meet again, and Taeyong would hold on to that promise.

 

 

Until we meet again, Jaehyun.

 


A/N: Never thought I'd make my comeback with angst but oh well, everyone needs angst every now and then xD Funny side note: The original characters for this one-shot was supposed to be Winwin and Taeyong with Taeyong being the "bad boy" but then I realized how it wouldn't even make sense because we all know how whipped Taeyong is to Winwin lol 

I mean, not that Jaehyun and Taeyong aren't whipped to each other already but it just seemed like a possible combination in my opinion :P

I actually took this story from my exo account and basically switched the characters and added a few small parts to the story so don't accuse me of plagiarizing because it's literally my own work, just with different characters :)

As always, thank you so much for everyone's support towards my previous works! I love reading all the comments and it really gives me the motivation to write more. I'll also be receiving requests from all my lovely readers so don't hesitate to drop some plots in the comments below!