The Journalist

The Journalist

Five minutes in and this was already going all wrong. Jimin silently cursed himself for absentmindedly walking beneath that ladder on his way here. He'd been in deep (anxious) thought about his first day at his new job, running into more than a few people and getting even more death glares that would have bothered him had he not been so lost in his own head.

Running a hand through his newly-dyed black hair, Jimin took a deep breath and shot his most charming grin at his boss.

Dark eyes, caramel skin, chocolate brown hair that swept back off of his forehead, and deep dimples- was everyone that worked here attractive? Just before he entered Chairman Kim's office (apparently the man liked to be actively involved with his magazine, so worked in his office during the hours that his employees worked), he'd run smack into a man of about his height with charcoal hair brushing his eyebrows over biting eyes, dressed in black skinnyjeans and a black button-up, and his heart had skipped a beat or two. 

"You must be the newbie," the man had smirked, sticking out a hand, "I'm Min Yoongi, also known as the chief editor and Namjoon's favorite employee."

"Nam-Namjoon?" he'd stammered out in confusion, cheeks flushing bright as he gently took hold of the hand being offered to him.

"Yeah. Y'know, Chairman Kim. He tells me not to call him by his first name, but," Yoongi had waved his left hand dismissively, "he loves it, really."

"I do not. C'mon, Mr. Park. Let's go to my office. I have your first assignment. You're going to work with journalist Kim Taehyung," a man he'd assumed to be Chairman Kim had appeared behind Yoongi, almost towering over the editor.

"You're pairing him up with Taehyung? On his first day? You are a cruel man, Kim Namjoon," he'd brushed past Jimin, glancing over his shoulder at the two. "Good luck, Park. That Kim is, well, a much bigger handful than this one."

"How did you-"

"What did I tell you? I'm Namjoon's favorite employee. Of course I know the new employee's name."

Now, in the office, he pondered what kind of doom would be waiting for him in Kim Taehyung's office. Was he mean? Incompetent? Why was being paired up with him such a bad thing?

No, Jimin thought, frowning. He'd decide for himself what he thought of Kim Taehyung. 

"Mr. Park Jimin? Did you hear me?"

Eyes wide, Jimin coughed, "No, I'm sorry, what did you say?"

"I said, ignore Yoongi. He's an idiot. Taehyung is fine. Most people just find him a bit odd. I think he's a genius. He's my best journalist. That's why I'm having you work with him on this," Namjoon repeated, running a hand through his hair and shooting Jimin a dazzling smile.

God, those dimples. How does anyone around here even survive?

"Okay, Chairman Kim, so what's the story I'm helping him with?"

Namjoon just winked, "I'll let him explain that to you."

Thirty minutes and an armful of booklets later, Jimin was on his way up to Kim Taehyung's office. Stepping into the elevator, Jimin's eyes widened at the scene before him. On the floor, a blonde man was twisted in some strange position, while his brunette companion doubled over in laughter. 

"Is he... Okay?" Jimin asked hesitantly, gesturing to the blonde, and the brunette only laughed harder.

The blonde man leapt up at the sound of Jimin's voice, and once again, Jimin was taken aback. It was confirmed. Everyone here was obnoxiously attractive.

His face was long, his lips forming a heart as he grinned sheepishly. The blonde curls all over his head were something of a halo, which seemed fitting to the sparkle in his eyes.

"Ah! I'm so sorry. I was, uh.. dancing? Anyway, you must be the new employee. I'm Jung Hoseok, and the dork dying in the corner is Jeon Jungkook," he stuck out his hand, and Jimin hesitantly took it, startled by how enthusiastically Hoseok shook it.

"Ah. Nice to meet you. My name is Park Jimin. You guys must be very close," Jimin smiled back as he withdrew his hand from Hoseok's grip.

Jungkook was by Hoseok's side in an instant, doe eyes glinting with a mixture of amusement and jealousy. His bangs were pushed to the side of his forehead, in what Jimin thought people called 'comma bangs,' and the outlines of what looked to be a rose tattoo peaked from beneath his grey turtleneck. 

"The closest," Jungkook nodded, enveloping Hoseok's hand in his own.

"Kook, he's just being friendly. And we're not supposed to act like a couple at work. It's against the rules. Sorry," Hoseok directed the last part at him, eyes apologetic.

"No worries! Hey, um, do you know where room 1230 is?"

The two exchanged looks.

"We heard you'd be paired with Taehyung. Secretary Kim Seokjin can direct you. His desk is just next to the elevator. Good luck," Hoseok nodded sympathetically as Jimin stepped out of the elevator.

Nerves twisting his stomach into knots, Jimin spotted Secretary Kim's desk and shuffled up to it. This was the final straw, he thought as he caught a glimpse of the secretary. Midnight black hair, pink lips fuller than even Namjoon's had been, large silver rimmed glasses perched  on his nose, and a long earring dangling from his right ear that seemed to match the elegance of his wine-red button up shirt, Kim Seokjin was intimidatingly beautiful. 

"Uh, hello. I'm Park Jimin. Can you tell me how to find room 1230?" Jimin managed, drumming his fingers on top of the desk.

"Calm down a little," Secretary Kim offered, laying a hand atop both of his, strangely comforting, "and head just down the hall to my right. It's the room at the very end."

"Thank you," Jimin mumbled, nodding, but before he could hurry away, the secretary spoke up again.

"Can I tell you a joke to calm your nerves?"

His eyes shone with excitement, so Jimin nodded again.

"How many editors does it take to change a lightbulb?"

Shrugging, Jimin responded, "How many?"

"It was supposed to be in place last week!"

Seokjin cackled, and with a forced chuckle, Jimin waved and scurried off down the hall.

All of the other employees shot him sympathetic looks as he passed. Doubt started bubbling up in his stomach again. 

He pictured a big man, angry and scary and demanding. He pictured-

Taehyung's office door opened before he could knock.

The sight that greeted him made him want to tuck his tail between his legs and sprint back home.

Eyes so dark they nearly looked to be ebony- dark chocolate?- peered out from beneath long, deep brown bangs, and a straight nose led his eyes to a pair of full lips that glistened as his tongue shot out to wet them. 

Big was somewhat accurate, Jimin thought as Taehyung raised a hand in greeting.

His shoulders were broad, and he looked to be a good five centimeters or more taller than Jimin. Long limbs and big ears that peeked out the sides of the fluffy mop of dark hair, Kim Taehyung had to be the most attractive man in the building- or in all of Seoul.

As Taehyung began to speak, the honey-smooth baritone voice that left those perfect lips convinced Jimin that if Min Yoongi was as cool as ice, then this man was a fire burning hot enough to challenge the surface of the sun.

"Hi. You must be Park Jimin? I'm Kim Taehyung. Come inside and I'll get you caught up on what we're going to be working on."

Nodding dumbly, Jimin stepped inside, shutting the door behind him and glancing around the room.

Everything seemed intimidatingly large. The mahogany desk and matching cabinets glowered at him from the far wall, and from the looks of things, he'd be eaten alive by that brown leather couch if he dared sit on it. 

A range of different paintings adorned the beige walls, and the wall behind the desk was decorated in enough photos and sticky notes to make him dizzy. It was a confusing cluster of... upon closer inspection, Jimin squinted, crime scene photographs? Blood, yellow caution tape, a crying woman, and oh god, was that a dead body

Taehyung followed his gaze to the offending wall, and a squarish grin spread across the journalist's face like butter on toast, smooth and tantalizing. 

"This," he strode up to the mess of photos, gesturing widely, "is my brainstorming wall. As you can see, we're doing a story on a serial killer who has been slashing his way through Seoul and the surrounding cities."

"Serial killer?" Jimin gulped, his stomach dropping.

"Yeah. Those are just a few photos I already took- I usually do my own photos, but I'm making an exception for you- so we'll sit down in a while and go over what else we need. This is gonna be a big one. Front page, I'm sure of it," his eyes were sparkling as he continued to wave his hands about animatedly.

Pressing a hand against his stomach, Jimin nodded and shot the journalist a queasy smile.

This was really going to be something.

-

Day five of working with Kim Taehyung, and he still wasn't used to it. The man made him nervous- nervous enough for his palms to remain sweaty and laughter to come bubbling from his throat at all the wrong moments. They were in his office going over all of the information they had for the story, that way they could snap a few more photos, ask a few more questions, and wrap things up. Taehyung was in the middle of sorting through the photographs of the crime scene when a long, quiet whine broke the silence.

"Um?" Jimin squeaked out, eyes darting around the room in confusion.

Red blossomed in Taehyung's bronze cheeks, and Jimin was filled with the urge to snatch up his camera and snap a picture of this beautiful phenomenon.

He could imagine the headline: Beautiful Man Spotted Blushing- Trainee Found On Floor, Dead Due To Heart Attack.

"Sorry about that, um, that's my phone ringto-"

Before he could finish his sentence, a little yip! interrupted him, and a dark, furry head popped up above the surface of the desk.

"-ne. Uh... I can explain?"

But it was too late. Jimin was already cooing and reaching for the puppy, who had clambered up onto the desk and was beelining straight for the boy with charcoal hair.

"Yeontan! You were supposed to stay in the drawer, what did I tell you?" Taehyung grumbled, huffing crossly at the pup and waggling his finger.

Now the ball of fur was curled up in Jimin's arms, and he glanced up, chewing at his lower lip in a failed attempt to hide the grin threatening to form.

"Why do you have a dog at work?" 

Groaning, Taehyung widened his eyes- a deceiving innocence?- and jutted out his lower lip.

"Please don't tell. I just got him, and he's the cutest, and I love him so much, and I couldn't leave him all alone at home. I couldn't find anyone to puppy-sit!"

The puppy across from him, Jimin thought, was almost as cute as the puppy in his arms. 

Nuzzling his face in the puppy's fur, he gave a muffled promise of "I won't tell."

Taehyung cheered, all anxiety disappearing from his face as he reached a long arm out to scratch Yeontan on top of his tiny head.

All of the employees had pitied Jimin for being assigned to work with Taehyung, but now, Jimin was beginning to pity them. Life had become a bit less dull since Taehyung.

Maybe that ladder he'd walked under hadn't given him bad luck, after all.

-

"It's out! Jimin, our story is front page! And here's your name!" Taehyung was all but skipping into his office ahead of Jimin, and Jimin found himself once more fighting a grin. 

Following behind, he laughed when Taehyung turned to look at him, the boy's face resembling that of an overexcited puppy. The beaming smile on Taehyung's face fell as his gaze landed on something behind Jimin, and the shorter man's eyebrows furrowed.

"What?"

Taehyung stepped forward, suddenly too close for comfort, and leaned in.

Jimin's breath caught in his throat, eyes wide as he gazed up at the man in front of him. This close, Jimin noticed a mole on the tip of his nose, and added that to the list of Reasons Why Kim Taehyung Is Fatally Attractive. 

The door clicked shut, but Jimin hardly noticed, too focused on the way Taehyung was habitually his lower lip, and the way Taehyung's hand was lingering on the door, just next to his head.

Fire raced through his veins, the heat of it darkening his cheeks, and his heart thudded in his chest as Taehyung's eyes caught his own.

"You forgot to shut the door," his voice was soft and the slightest bit deeper. 

"Oh."

"You know," Taehyung murmured, placing his left hand on the door too, boxing Jimin in, "I'm glad Namjoon assigned you to me. Most people judge me without really knowing me, but I heard that you blew off everyone's 'warnings.' You're different. I like that." 

Like a caged bird, Jimin was sure his heart was just about ready to burst free of the confinements of his ribcage.

As if the tension in the air could not get any thicker, Taehyung brushed a stray strand of hair from Jimin's forehead, and Jimin shivered at the feeling of Taehyung's warm skin against his own much cooler skin.

Everything about Taehyung was warm, it seemed.

"I was wondering," Taehyung's voice had dropped to a dizzying pitch, "if you'd like to go on a date tomorrow night. Six. You've got my number. Text me your address and I'll pick you up."

Jimin could only nod, the zoo in his stomach uncomfortably foreign. 

Some switch seemed to have flipped, and Taehyung was hopping back with a grin. 

"Great! I'm heading home early! Have a good night," he pushed the door back open, which Jimin had been using as support, and sauntered out.

Stumbling, his knees weak, Jimin leaned heavily against the wall. 

"Kim Namjoon, what have you done? You've given me a death sentence."

 

​​​​