Sneak Peek

The Good, The Bad, and The City.

Mina's eyes always saw past any veil that I could dream of wafting over her vision. She always knew when I was upset, she could always catch me in a lie, and she never failed to see the faults in myself that even I wouldn't consciously admit were there. 

So what was wrong with me? 
_______________________________________________

"Nayeon. Listen. I'm not asking alot of you. At least I don't think I am. I know that you're working on lines from your sides for your audition in two weeks, but it's just that...in two weeks. I don't understand why you can't take maybe an hour tops just to look over these two new chapters I've written." Mina said softly. I could tell their was an almost unnoticeable twinge of annoyance in her voice. When you've been dating someone for nearly 2 and a half years, you tend to get to know their speech patterns quite well, and despite her best efforts to hide her irritation, I could feel her distress. 

"I know, I know. I'm sorry. I just. I'm really ing nervous about this one. It's the 'Cats' revival. You know how much I love that musical. I'll make time to read your new chapters. I'm sure they're incredible. As always. It's only like 4pm anyhow, there's plenty of time left in the day." I answered, prying my eyes from the scripted pages before me to make eye contact with her.

She searched me for a moment, calculating her response. It always made me so defensive because I never knew what she was thinking, but it was clear she knew what  prowled inside my thoughts.

"You still haven't even read the chapters I wrote last month, Nayeon....so you'd need to read those, too. It's not as though they're superfluously extensive. You read fast anyhow." Mina volleyed.

I could tell she'd seen this tactic coming already, but lucky for me she always seemed to enjoy it nonetheless. 

I put my pages down and walked over to her desk. 

"Don't even think about it." She began.

But I'd already begun straddling her in her chair, and wrapped my arms around her neck. I pierced her gaze with my own, and brought my lips centimeters from her face. I could feel her cool breath begin to want into an uneven rhythm and syncopate with my own. In my peripheral vision I could spot her chest undulating slowly, her breathing heavy and labored. 

I waited for her tell. The signal for my swift strike. 

Her lips quivered momentarily as she lightly bit the left side of her lip.

And there it was.

I leaned into her lips, and pressed them passionately against my own. My fingers coiled through her hair and clutched the crown of her scalp, as I pressed my body firmly against her, trapping her between myself and her own chair. My hips moved in small pivots against hers as our tongues greeted each other tentatively. 

After several tantalizing moments, I pulled away slowly.

"Well that's not ing fair..." Mina sighed breathlessly, a light laugh accompanying her speech.

"You know me," I smiled, kissing her forehead lightly, "Don't worry Mimi, I'll read your chapters I promise. I just wanted to get a head start on these sides tonight. First thing in the morning, that manuscript has my full attention. Your book is going to be great." I finished.

"But will it be better than 'The Turning of the Fractured Winds'? That's what I'm worried about. Will it even be as good?" Mina uttered, exasperation laden in her voice.

I lightly pressed upward on her chin with my forefinger and thumb, lifting her eyes to mine.

"It will be. I know you. I know your talent. You're an incredible writer, Mina. We wouldn't be living in this loft in New York if you hadn't written such a great book that's already in it's 2nd pressing." I assured her.

"Lightning in a bottle." She grumbled.

"Hey. None of this self-deprecating tonight, ok? No way. You're an amazing author. That's fact. I'm the drama queen here, remember?" I laughed.

"That's an understatement." Mina responded, cracking a smile.

"Oh, so you've got jokes?" I laughed in retort. 

Mina and I were happy. That much was true. The city is a being in it of itself, and it can swallow people whole in a very literal sense, but I think we'd done a good job of thriving in the year we'd lived here so far. Mina's writing always overshadowed my acting, but I was never jealous and always happy for her. 

But my "Big Break" was indeed looming. And with some things, and someone who would cause a chasm in my life the likes I'd never dreamt of...