HAVE YOU FALLEN FOR ME?

A tattoo of three small stars

YONG’s POV

 

Its’ been three days, and every day she would asked me to join her for lunch, just the two of us. We ate without saying anything. We would excuse ourselves after and she would disappear without a trace after that till the next morning. It’s repeated. We’ve never talked in the class, we would only steal glance at each other. Irene and the rest been asking me questions like why did she asked me for lunch with her but not saying a word? Why did she asked me in the first place? Are we close? Which I don’t even know the answer myself.

So here we are, at the cafe, sitting opposite one another and she was busy munching on her food without saying anything again. I glance at a few table away from ours where my friends were. I could see there were glancing at us. I wonder why did she ask me eat lunch together yet we still weren’t saying anything. This is starting to annoy me. I have to do something about this.

“So, what’s she like?” I asked.

She finally look up to me “Who?”

“Moonstar, you said you know her” I really want to know about her and I hope she wasn’t joking around when she said she knows her. I watch as she put her spoon and fork down.

“Well, she’s popular among the composer” she said. She’s famous alright, she’s won Composer/Lyricist of the Year in Gaon Chart Music Awards for 3 times in a row and Song Writer Award in Melon Music Awards 4 times in a row but never once she appear on the TV to received her award, her company’s director always be the person to receive the award on behalf. I know that.

“She’s rich” she added. Without doubt, she probably own herself a studio with complete soundproof somewhere in the city to do her composing. I’m sure everyone know that too.

“I’ve been meaning to know this…but why did she hide her face?” I asked. There got to be a reason why and I need to know. Something that no one know. She looked at me, I can see there’s a hesitation in her eyes. I wonder if I was being too nosy about someone else business, maybe she was asked to kept her personal life a secret too, or maybe she’s not that close to her to even know the reason.

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have asked that.” I apologized.

“She was born in a family, a family that leave her no choice but to continue the family tradition. That’s her father request, more like a demand and she must obey. But she got her own plan, her own passion. That is music. To be able to do that she have to be someone else, she choose Moonstar. She wasn’t hiding from the world, she was hiding from her father.” she finally finished.

I was speechless, she live in a life that only can be seen in a TV drama, I thought. It must be hard for her to live like that. Deep down inside I feel really sorry for her.

She propped her elbow on the table and leaned her cheek into her palm. She look at me, her piercing eyes finding mine, searching me; searching my soul “Now it’s my turn to ask you” she said.

“Okay” I gulped.

“So tell me unnie…”

“Tell me unnie, have you fallen for me?”

I froze.

 

BYUL’s POV

 

[flashback]

I press the doorbell. I'm already prepared with a big smile. After a few seconds the smile drops and I press the doorbell again, and then the smile is plastered over my face again, waiting for the door open. I press the doorbell again and again and then I hold my finger on it for ages. I had enough, I kick the door hard, “Yah, open the freaking door” I yelled. The door open, not the door than I want to open, but the door next door.

“You again!! Have you no brain? Why are you always being noisy at this hour?” A man around his 50’s in his pyjama came out through the door and start yelling as he see my face.

“Yea, I left it in the fridge for safety purpose, again. Get back in old man, my business here got nothing to do with you. And I’m just sick of listening to your bark” I said as I make a shooing gesture, like a farmer herding sheep.

I can see his eyes wide open like they were popping out of their sockets, his face was as white as a ghost and his eyes burning red with anger, he seem like he couldn’t believe I just did that to him. Not my fault if he found it offensive. Who ask him to be busybody? He was stuttering trying to find a word to say, a woman around his age which I assumed his wife came out running to him. She was rubbing his chest trying to calm him while glaring at me. Arm crossed over my chest, I snickered at their over acting behaviour. Soon one by one others door open, more people coming out, still not the door I want it to open. What the !  

I was about to add on the fuel to their anger for fun since I got nothing better to do at this hour, finally the door that I’ve been waiting for swung open. That person grab me by my arm, bows to everyone around him asking for apologize before dragging me inside.

“What’s wrong with you? It’s freaking 3 in the morning!” Sandeul yelled as soon as he locked the door behind him.

I ignored him and head straight to his studio room. He follows as he keep on nagging on how I makes him look bad in front of his neighbour and so on while I sat down his chair and was busy turning on his computer where he kept all his composing works, of course some of them with my big help only then his work can be in the chart. I’m just that good. Then I plug in my flash drive, open the folder and played my song. “What do you think?” I asked.

“Really Byul? You come all the way to make me listen to this?” he asked in disbelieved.

“Yeah, so you like it?”

I watched him as he face palm himself then slid up his hand to ruffle his hair. I rolled my eyes at him for being too dramatic. He left the room now I’m the one that following him. “Where are you going? I asked for your opinion just now did it?”

I followed him into the kitchen, he took off two mugs from the kitchen cupboard and pour in a coffee. As I was watching, I sat on the stool by the kitchen counter, he turn around with the mugs both on his hand, he put a mug in front of me “drink”. I shrugged and took a sip. Then he start to talk. Finally sharing his opinion on the song I just showed him.

“So, who is she?” his sudden question making me spit the coffee I just sip.

“I saw her with you. The girl in a blue dress.”

“No one” I tried to avoid his gazed.

“Hoho, finally our Byulyi have found someone” he playfully pinched my cheek. I slaps his hands away anxiously “Do that again, say bye bye to your hand” I groaned.

“You can’t fool me Byul, you know you can’t hide anything from me” he chuckled and took another sip of his coffee. He’s right, there’s nothing he don’t know about me and that including my uality which is I prefer girls over guys. It always has since middle school. I wasn’t aware that I was always drooling over pretty girls or cute girls that passed by until he pointed that out for me. So every time when he witness or found out from someone that a boy confessed to me he would laugh so hard or make fun of me. Jerk.

“Like I say it’s no one” he’s just being ridiculous or he probably just want to annoy me since I make him wake up at 3 in the morning.

“It’s love alright”

Me?! In love? Okay, I do likes girls, but love? What makes he think that I was in love with that chubby cheek girl? I barely know her. I just like her reaction when I , she would blush. Her blushes were like a sunset, they seemed to start at the top of her face and work their way down, touching her forehead first then to the tops of her ears. By the time the blush had reached her chubby cheeks it would have darkened from a delicate pink to a luscious scarlet. It just for fun nothing more. Okay, I admit, I also like to see her smile, hear her dolphin like laugh. Also when she clumsily drops her stuff from the table. A pretty fool.

“You should go back to sleep” I said as I got up from the tool and head straight to the front door.

“I think she like you too”

I stop in my tracks. Turn. “What did you say? How did you know?” I asked him as I jumped back on the stool. He look up at me and seemed to laugh under his breath before sipping from his coffee again. Smirking over his mug. I roll my eyes. This useless fool how dare he makes fun of me, I huffed. “Yah, Sandeul” I yelled at him. He gazed lazily out the window. That it’s I have enough with his . Once again I got up on my feet and ready to leave.

“Does she avoid meeting your eyes?” he asked as he look up at me. I pause and start to think for a moment. Well she does look like she try to avoid looking into my eyes sometimes. I sat down on the stool and nod once.

“Does she always notices you?” he asked now he look straight into my eyes. When I think about it again, I’m always caught her stealing glance over me. So yeah she did so I nod again.

“She blushes around you?” he asked as he took another sips from his mug. Always. I thought to myself. I chuckled when I remember how her chubby cheeks would turn to pink when she blush. I nod again.

A hit on my head with a mug wake me up “She likes you, you dumb hamster” he got up and head to the sink to wash his mug and mine leaving me rubbing my head from the pain of getting hits “Yah, that’s hurt !”

“Ok she likes me so what now?” I asked him.

“Ask her not me” he answered as he got out from the kitchen, walk into his room.

[end flashback]

 

That morning during class while I was observing her, I’ve notice more of her behaviour that makes me think I was right. She does has a feeling for me. I think so I decide to ask her to have lunch with me today, so I did. The look on her face when I asked her to have lunch with me was priceless. Her eyes went wide, she gaped at me, mouth opening and closing much like a goldfish's would. I wanted to laugh so hard but prevent myself from doing so.

We eat our meal. That’s right we did nothing but eat. How am I supposed to talk to her, from afar I know she’s beautiful but now that I’m sitting close to her face to face, my mind went blank. All I could do was to stare at that face when she wasn’t looking. It’s the third day and I’m still looking.

Her eyelashes were long and curved upward. I wondered how eyelashes could be so attractive. I followed the curve of her cute nose to her eyebrows and forehead. I gasped and felt my heart skip a beat, as something about the curves of her face excited me. My eyes followed the curve of her jaw; down, around to her full lips. I felt that I could melt into the floor. Suddenly I feel that I wanted to kiss those lips more than anything else in the world, right now. Shaking my head, I turn my face to my food.

I can’t stop wondering how that lips would feel like on my lips, when she suddenly asked me about my other self. She was so excited to find out more about my secret me as a composer. She’s my fan. I wonder what would she do when she find out about this secret. As we were talking I realise I made her a little bit uncomfortable with my dramatic story about my stupid family’s tradition, so I decide a little bit by asking her something I’ve already know the answer by now.

I frowned when she didn’t say anything. Does she not hear my question? I thought I clearly asked her whether she like me or not. Why is she not saying anything? “Hello, unnie?” I waved my hand in front of her face. She gasped. Her eyes widening and her cheeks bursting into bright red tomatoes. Oh, I see. I grinned at her. Kim Yongsun, you are so fun to teased, I thought to myself. Suddenly an idea come into my mind. I got up from my seat and drag my chair next to her so I could seat next to her. She look up at me as I reached for her hand. I bring her hand to my mouth and press my lips to her knuckles. She was fidgeting with her hands and legs and was looking around at other students to see if anyone watching. Which is I don’t care?

“Let’s date” I whispered on her knuckles as my eyes still on hers.