Final

Bouquet

 

Bouquet

 

Youngjae hastily put his writing utensils into his bag. He could feel his heart beats erratically against his ribcage. His cheeks were getting hurt from containing his smile. Today is the day. He'll be seeing him soon and he can't wait for that. Youngjae slipped his phone out of his pocket, unlocking the device to check the message he got from his lover last night.

 

From: Daehyunnie<3

I'll meet you at the back door okay?

 

Youngjae's lips were stretched into a smile. He gave up holding it in. He quickly shoved his things into the bag and ran out of the class. Youngjae was running when his eyes caught the sight of a bunch of pretty blue flowers in a small florist. Without thinking twice, he entered the shop and in no time, a small bouquet of pastel blue and white flowers already in his hand.

 

Along the way to see his lover, he kept thinking about how he missed the older. It has been a while since they've met each other, considering how demanding their respective lives are.

 

Youngjae arrived at the theater hall, entering the spacious room as he controlled himself from gaping too much at the size of the hall. He sat down once he found his allocated seat. The distance was fair enough to see the whole stage. He was about to skim through the leaflet he got when a hoard of girls trying to walk through the narrow space in front of him to get to their seats. He shifted to allow them to pass through, throwing the girls a polite smile as the girls apologized for being a nuisance.

 

Youngjae got back to skim through the leaflet but soon halted when he heard the girls' conversations with each other.

 

"Is it true that Daehyun dates his co star in real life?"

 

"Whoa, seriously?"

 

"Yeah, my cousin is one of the staff here and he said those two are really close!"

 

"I wouldn't be surprised tho. If they ever gotten married to each other I swear to God their children will be hella beautiful!"

 

The girls stopped conversing once the light was out, indicating the play was beginning soon. Youngjae clutched on the flower bouquet in his hand as his eyes glued on the stage.

 

Daehyun appeared on the stage, looking all neat and handsome in his stage outfit. A smile unknowingly etched on Youngjae's lips, but the smile soon faltered when the heroin made her entrance. She's pretty, just as the girls said.

 

That left a bitter taste in his mouth.

 

He unknowingly clutched harder on the bouquet in his hands.

 

 

 

 

The play was over and Youngjae went to the promised meeting spot. He waited for Daehyun at the back door; playing with the hem of his shirt. His ears picked up some familiar voices from behind the door and he decided to take a peek to see who was inside.

 

Youngjae could see Daehyun's back from his spot and it seems that Daehyun was talking with the heroin before. He bit his lips when he saw the girl handed Daehyun a big bouquet of red roses. He glanced at the small bouquet in his hand, feeling bitter for the fact that he didn't get a bigger one.

 

"Sunbae, you don't have to give me anything though." Daehyun's voice resounded thru the narrow hallway. The girl smiled; her cheeks were dusted pink.

 

"It's okay. This is for you for being a hard-working guy. Besides..." The girl ran her fingers on Daehyun’s chest.

 

"I like you, Daehyun."

 

Youngjae felt as if his entire body was doused with cold water.

 

"Would you like to date me?" The girl shyly said. Daehyun stared at his co-star, contemplating of what to say.

 

"...s-sunbae... I..." Daehyun stuttered.

 

'Why is Daehyun hesitating...?' Youngjae could feel hot tears beginning to gather in his eyes but alas, he stayed. He needs to know.

 

"...um, dating you... It's an honor, sunbae..."

 

Youngjae couldn't take it anymore. He left the place. The small bouquet was left lying on the floor, forgotten.

 

 

 

 

Daehyun punched the code and soon the door to his apartment clicked opened.

 

"Babe? I'm home" Daehyun called. He shut the door and flicked on the light. It has been so long since he entered the house. He figured it's the best to stay at the company until his musical ended.

 

Daehyun examined the small bouquet in his hand. He found it lying on the floor at the place where he supposed to meet Youngjae. He picked it up, smiling to himself when he saw a card with a familiar horrible handwriting scribbled on it.

 

You did well baby! Now, who wants a treat? :>

 

Daehyun chuckled at the message written. He placed the bouquet on the table, venturing to their shared bedroom to find his lover. But to his disappointment, there was no trace of the younger.

 

Daehyun let out a sigh, deciding he should change his shirt to a comfortable one. He opened the wardrobe only to be left befuddled to see half of the wardrobe was emptied. He frantically searched high and low thru the wardrobe for Youngjae's things but he could find nothing.

 

Blood rushed through his whole body as his head was invaded with the thoughts of bad things could be happening. He glanced around the room, his panic eyes were searching for any possible clues for Youngjae's sudden disappearance. His eyes fell on a glinting object on the side table.

 

Daehyun trudged towards the side table before he fell on his knees. His trembling hand picked up the item.

 

It was Youngjae's ring.

 

He never once saw Youngjae took it off. That's how much the rings meant to them.

 

So why is it here...and not where it supposed to belong?

 

Daehyun picked up the note left under the ring. He shakily unfolded the paper, afraid of whatever written in there.

 

You deserve better, Daehyun.

I'm sorry for holding onto you all this while.

 

Daehyun felt his world collapsing.

 

I'm setting you free

- Youngjae

 

"What he is this bull!" Daehyun uttered, tears starting to gather in his eyes as his hand crumpled the note. He pulled out his phone and dialed Youngjae's number but to his dismay, the number didn't exist anymore. He kept dialing the number, hoping his lover would magically picked it up.

 

"! PICK IT UP JAE!" Daehyun shouted but to no avail. He furiously threw his phone. The device slammed against the wall, smashing it into pieces. Daehyun curled on the floor, sobbing. The ring and note was still clutched in his hand.

 

"Why do you do this to me..."

 

That night, the house was filled with Daehyun's heartbroken cries.

 

 

 

"Bye bye teacher~" a collective squeaky voices resonated through the kindergarten. Youngjae waved his hand towards the children, chuckling as he uttered back a 'Bye~ see you tomorrow'. He watched as the kids went home with their respective parents; a soft smile etched on as he uttered back a 'Bye~ see you tomorrow'. He watched as the kids went home with their respective parents; a soft smile etched on his lips.Youngjae felt something tugged on his pants, looking down to see a boy gripping the fabric of his pants.

 

Oh, it's the new boy.

 

Youngjae crouched down and offered the boy a smile.

 

"Hi there.Jongup, is it?" Youngjae asked. The boy timidly nodded his head.

 

"Is your nanny going to be late?" Youngjae asked. For the past two weeks the boy enrolled there, it was the nanny who sent and picked him up from the kindergarten. Youngjae never knew how the parents look like. They probably have a busy working schedule.

 

"Daddy is going to pick me up today" The shy boy said, "but daddy is late..." An adorable pout decorated the child's face. Youngjae smiled.

 

"Do you want to sit with me on the swing?" Youngjae asked. The boy beamed and nodded his head excitedly. Youngjae rose from his crouching before offering his hand to the boy, in which the latter gladly accepted. The both of them walked side by side towards the double seated wooden swing, settling on it.

 

"So, did daddy say he's going to be late?" Youngjae asked. Jongup simply shook his head.

 

"No but daddy's always busy." The boy played with the hem of his uniform, "but its fine. Uppie understands that." Youngjae's lips etched into a small smile. He felt sympathy for the boy.

 

"What does daddy work as?" Youngjae asked.

 

"I don't know. But Uppie always see daddy on TV." The boy supplied.

 

"What about mommy then?" Youngjae prodded.

 

"Mom--" Jongup's words were cut by a man's voice calling 'Uppie' not far from them. The both of them turned towards the source of sound. The boy's face lit at the newcomer's presence.

 

Jongup hastily got down from the swing before running towards the man, shouting 'Daddy!' excitedly as he hugged his father dearly. The man chuckled and hugged his son back, uttering 'Have you been a good boy?' to his son. The boy nodded his head, giggling happily when his face was attacked by kisses from his father.

 

The father lifted his head, readying himself to apologize to the teacher, only to be left stumped when he saw the familiar face.

 

"Youngjae..." Daehyun whispered.

 

"Daehyun..." Youngjae uttered in disbelief. He never thought he would meet the other male like this. Youngjae stared at the male in front of him.Daehyun, he looks a lot mature than Youngjae remembered. Youngjae watched as Daehyun bent down, levelling his eyes with the boy next to him.

 

"Uppie, will you be a good boy and play by yourself for a while? Daddy needs to talk to your teacher." Daehyun explained.

 

Youngjae felt something lodged in his throat at the word 'Daddy' came from Daehyun's lips.

 

Of course, it has been 10 years...

 

Jongup obediently nodded his head before running towards the sandbox. Daehyun let out a sigh, turning to face Youngjae.

 

"It's been a while, hasn't it?" Daehyun softly uttered. Youngjae stared at the other male; something stirred in him once he saw the same gentle eyes meeting him.

 

Daehyun is still the same...

 

"Yeah, it is..." Youngjae whispered. The emotions from 10 years back came crashing upon him.

 

He never thought he’ll be missing the other male so much.

 

 

 

 

The both of them were sitting on a bench. At a distance they could see Jongup was building what it seems like a fort in the sandbox.

 

"How have you been?" Daehyun started the conversation. Youngjae stared at his feet, a small smile carved on his face.

 

"Good." He briefly replied. Youngjae glanced at Jongup.

 

"You have a son now..." Youngjae chuckled dryly, "...you and your wife did a good job on raising him..." Youngjae bit his lips once those words left his lips. The bitter aftertaste seems to linger on his tongue.

 

Daehyun chuckled.

 

"Thanks. I'm glad he turns out that way despite my busy schedule..." Daehyun said, straightening his body,"...and despite the fact that he's not my biological son."

 

Youngjae snapped his head towards the man, his wide eyes met the latter's calm ones. Daehyun smiled.

 

"I was never married, Youngjae...” Daehyun uttered. Youngjae could see the sadness masked under those calm dark orbs,“...not when the one I ever wanted wasn't there for me to propose to..."

 

Heat began to prick Youngjae's eyes. Youngjae clamped his hands, averting his eyes from the older.

 

"Why did you leave...?"

 

Daehyun's frail voice broke the dam of Youngjae's tears. The salty fluid streamed generously down Youngjae's cheeks, wetting the soft skin.

 

"You deserve better, Daehyun..." Youngjae croaked. But Daehyun’s next words were like a slap to his face.

 

"Why do you think I deserve better when I already got the best?"

 

Daehyun grabbed Youngjae's dainty hand, firmly wrapping it into his.

 

"Or is it that I'm not good enough...?"

 

Youngjae quickly shook his head. His heart couldn't take it once he saw the unshed tear b in the older’s eyes.

 

"No, Daehyun. It wasn't you. It was me. I'm at fault. The demons in me said it's better to walk away..." Youngjae clutched Daehyun’s hands. They felt warm in his smaller ones.

 

"...but I never thought it would hurt this much..." Youngjae sobbed. Daehyun pulled the younger male into his embrace, his strong fingers were rubbing on the latter's back.

 

"If I ask for you to be mine once again… will you accept it...?" Daehyun asked.

 

Youngjae hugged the older tightly. Nodding his head as he uttered a soft 'Yes, please', eliciting a genuine smile on Daehyun's face.

 

"Daddy, you said it's bad to make people cry. Why are you making Teacher cry?" Jongup crossed his arms on his chest, wearing a strict expression as he accused his father.

 

The two adults bursted out laughing.Youngjae wiped his tears away, waving his hand to the boy, gesturing the other to come near. Jongup obliged, walking towards the two before settling in between the adults.

 

"I'm not crying because I'm sad, Uppie. It's because I'm happy."

 

Jongup scrunched his face.

 

"Did daddy make you happy?"

 

Youngjae glanced at Daehyun, a smile found his lips once he saw the soft eyes on his.

 

"Yes he did."

 

 

 

 

Youngjae sat down on his allocated seat. He glanced around the theatre hall, feeling nostalgic for he was here 10 years ago. But this time, he wasn't alone.

 

"Papa, when will daddy come out? Uppie want to see daddy." Jongup asked, his adorable dark orbs stared up to Youngjae's. Youngjae smiled, caressing the boy's cheek.

 

"He'll come out once the light turn off, sweetie." Youngjae said, pinching the boy's fluffy cheeks. He chuckled when his son giggling heartily. Their father-son moment was disrupted when a group of girls tried to get to their seats on the other side.Youngjae shifted his legs, letting the girls passed through.

 

Youngjae smiled to himself. It felt like a déjà vu.

 

And true to his thoughts, one of the girls started conversing.

 

"Hey hey, I heard Daehyun and his co-star is dating!"

 

"Where did you hear that?"

 

"My friend is a staff for the musical. They even have a kid together!"

 

"Seriously???"

 

The girls ceased their conversation once the light was off. And like just like 10 years ago, Daehyun came out on the stage, looking all neat and handsome in his stage outfit.

 

"Papa, papa! Daddy's there! Daddy came out! Look!" Jongup excitedly exclaimed. Youngjae hurriedly shushed the boy, before glancing upwards, meeting eyes with the group of girls beside Jongup. Their expressions clearly showed how shocked they were. Youngjae offered an apologetic smile.

 

"I'm so sorry about this. My son is getting excited when he saw his daddy." Youngjae bowed once towards the girls before gluing his eyes to the front, where his husband at. His lips were twitching, refraining himself from smiling.

 

'That surely shut the nosy girls up.'

 

 

 

The End