Chapter 1

Always

“Jung Hyesoo! Jung Hyesoo!”

 

I heard my name being called in a sea of people. It is the first semester of my second year in the university. I must say, the schedule is much lighter than high school but the amount of work needed to be done is much harder. I didn’t look to who was calling my name because I know who he is.

 

“Yah! Hyesoo! Hyesoo!”

 

His voice got nearer and nearer. I fasten my pace. I don’t want to embarrass myself again like what happened last year. I keep on increasing my pace. But his legs is longer, and my legs are shorter.

 

“Hey! Dwaeji! Stop! Why are you ignoring the almighty me?” He said as he pulled me by my wrist. “DWAEJI!!????” My eyes became bigger as I repeated what he just called me. “Who are you calling Dwaeji?” I kicked his leg to give him my revenge. Really nice, Hyesoo, this is what a grown up woman will do.

 

“Aahhhh!!” He pretended he that it hurts a lot. And lied on the University ground. This is like a repetition of last year’s events. This is what I am avoiding. “KANG DANIEL!” I shouted. “When will you let me live?” By now, I might look like an elementary girl who was left by her parents alone in the house. I really am a grown up woman. I am telling you.

 

He stood up. “I knew you would stop ignoring your handsome friend once he called you dwaeji.” He laughed sheepishly. I hit him with my back pack. “Hey! Why do you keep on physically hitting me? Why don’t you try the other hitting on me?” He winked at me which made me hit him brutally. “Yah! I was just kidding.” He is laughing like a lunatic now. Since he has done his mission, to annoy every fiber in me. “I can’t be seen dating a man. That will be weird!” As soon as he finished what he said he ran away.

 

“Argh! That Kang Choding will be the death of me.” I picked up my back pack on the floor. I didn’t even noticed that it fell. I started walking again, avoiding the eyes of the people.

 

Last year, we were just freshmen. Both Daniel and I were taking the same program. We had the same schedule too. So we went to the university together. But going together, with Daniel, means chaos. As we were walking at the central part of the university, were a lot of students are, Kang freaking Daniel, decided to make a scene.

 

“Hey, shorty, why do you keep on following me?” I ignored him, thinking he wasn’t referring to me. How will he say that to me? when he was the one who knocked on my door telling me to go together. So I just ignored him. “Aahh! pretending that you didn’t hear me?” I stopped walking and looked at his back. I titled my head as I look at him. What is this guy up to?

 

“Shorty! Yeah, you are cute and all but you are creeping me out!” He is looking at me now. And his voice is getting louder. I looked at the people, they are now frozen and watching the scene that Daniel is making. I just shook my head as a response. “You followed me from my house up to here? I don’t even know you. This is scary. I should call the police and tell them that you are my stalker!” I gagged as he was stating his lines. He should have just majored in acting. I was about to respond when he left me in the center. Every eyes was on me. They were whispers every where.

 

I hanged my head down, I am now labeled as a lunatic because of that lunatic. I sighed and started walking again when Daniel bumped onto his friend. His friend from the dance class. I just know him since I sometimes see the both of them at the studio but we weren’t close enough.

 

“Hyesoo!” He said as he walking towards Daniel. “Come here! I never knew we will all be here together!” He is now hugging Daniel. But looking at me. I don’t know what I did in my past life to be surrounded by weird people. I saw Daniel motioning his friend to pretend that I am a stalker and not a friend. “Eh? Hyesoo is a stalker? How come? She doesn’t even look interested at you at all. Look at her eyes, it looks like she is already killing you.”

 

I just avoided them and ended up bumping into someone. “Ahhhh!” I screamed as my hit the floor. I could hear a grunted. But I could also feel something dripping on my face. I was startled.

 

“Blood! Blood!” I could hear Daniel’s friend say. “I’m sorry!” A hand was in front of me offering to help me stand. I grabbed his hand and stood up. He started wiping my head. “Oh, these are not blood. It was my grape juice” I looked up to him but the sun was too bright I wasn’t able to see his face clearly. I should have known, it wasn’t blood. As he finished wiping my head. We both said our apologies and bowed to each other.

 

“Yah! ONG SEONGWOO! KANG DANIEL!” I jumped as I both hit their head. “I am going to kill you soon!”

 

I am still thankful that what happened today isn’t as severe as what happened last year. I wonder where Ong is. He wouldn’t like to miss this chance to embarrass me.

 

I walked past by the building that Daniel will be in. He saw me and yelled “Don’t miss me, mama! Baby will just leave for a while”

 

I just grunted and kinda ignored him. He used to be in the same department as I am last year but he changed his program this year. He is now majoring in modern dance. He said he wanted to be a dance instructor.

 

I am now ready to meet my new professors and new classmates. I wonder if I will be seeing familiar faces this time. I walked by the hall and saw a lot of seniors. I bowed to them and greeted them. Most were asking why my tail isn’t around. I just told them that he changed his program. They were sad because most of them find Daniel charming. I guess they are too blinded.

 

I sat down at the left side of the room, near the window. It’s a beautiful sunny day. I am going to learn a lot. My first subject for today is “Theories of Personality”. I am excited to learn how different psychologist theorized how we have shaped our personalities. I smiled as I wrote down my favorite theory.

 

Behavior Theory

 

“Oh!” The sudden voice makes me look to my right. “I also like that theory.” A beautiful voice that I usually hear when there is a live broadcast in the school. I blinked a lot of times. I wanted to say something but it felt like my voice got caught by Ursula. “Oh! By the way, I am Hwang Minhyun. I am a second year, from psych department”

 

“Oh! me too!” I shook his hands and sat properly. I wanted to ask him why is he always at the broadcasting department if he is a psych major. But I just stayed quiet.

 

All of my subjects are done. And it’s now lunch time, I received a text message from Hyojung, telling me to meet her and Daniel at the cafeteria. I ran through the hallway. I am excited to see Hyojungie~

 

“Hyesoo hoobae! Really? Running around?” Sunbae started laughing at me as I stopped running. “I thought Daniel was the only kid here?” I bowed to him.

 

“I’m sorry Jisung Sunbae. I am not a kid” He is still laughing at me. “I was just kidding, Hyesoo! Go eat your lunch so you could go taller!” I waved at Jisung Sunbae and told him my good bye.

 

As soon as I arrived at the cafeteria, I looked for my friends. As I saw them, I ran excitedly towards Hyojung. “Hyojung-ah!” I jumped on her back and hugged her tightly. “Hyesoo-yah! Do you miss me that much?” I nodded and purred. “Did you just purred?”

 

“yes. I did” I walked to the other side of the table. Hyojung and Daniel were sitting on the other side. Daniel is being quiet right now because he is currently sleeping. “Heol! The baby is sleeping!” I poked his cheeks and there were no responses.

 

“He said he wanted to eat but he’ll wait for his mother and then he fell asleep, just like that”

 

“Hahaha! What a baby!”

 

Hyojung and I left Daniel at the table to buy some food. And as a good friend that I am, I bought Daniel his food. When we came back, Daniel is still fast asleep but Ong was already there.

 

“Hi, Hyesoo!” Ong smiled at me cheekily. “Hey, Where were you this morning? I didn’t see you?”

 

“Heol! You missed me??” He was doing this stupid face he always does. “No, I was just surprised, you weren’t there to bug me”

 

“Hyesoo! Can’t you just change your program too? Like any art related? So we can be in the same department? “

“Acting department? You mean? To be with you? Then hell—“

“Hell yessssss!!!!”

 

“No! Hyesoo will stay with Hyojung!” Hyojung started doing some aegyo sounds. So I just joined her “Hyojungie will be lonely if Hyesooji will leave her. hng hng” Ong was about to join us so I placed a bread on his mouth.

 

Hyojung and I are currently taking up the same program. While Ong is taking an Acting Major. He and Daniel is currently on the Art Department.

 

“Hyesoo, have you ever dated?” Ong’s sudden question made me shocked. Daniel had just woken up from his slumber. “She never dated.” He is doing some stretching. “She always rejects everyone that they thought we were dating.”

 

“Eh? No way?” Ong’s eyes bulged as if they were going to pop out. “Why? So that’s why you are always rejecting me.” Ong pouted like a cute little dog.

 

“If I call you a friend, then you are a friend. Love hasn’t found me yet.” I tickled Ong’s chin as if he is a dog. “Why not try me?” Ong seriously asked. “Seriously, Ong, do you find Hyesoo attractive?” Both Daniel and Hyojung said in disbelief.

 

“Well, she is a good person. How can you not like her?” Ong smiled at me sweetly. I ruffled his hair. “Kiddo, stop that ok? Flirting wouldn’t work with me” I smirked.

 

“Arrggghhhh!! Why can’t I trick you?”

 

“Well, she studies psychology. How can she fall for that?” Hyojung threw some rice to Ong.

 

“Hey! You are disgusting!” Ong threw it back to Hyojung.

 

I stood up and gathered my things. I have a next class. “I need to go now guys! Hyojung? What class do you have?”

 

“I don’t think we have the same class. I have dance class for my electives this semester.”

 

“Oh? You already took electives?”

 

“Don’t tell me you only took major subjects?” Daniel stood up. He can’t believe that I will only take all major subjects this semester. But well I did.

 

“I didn’t. I’ll go now” I waved them goodbye. I could hear there faint voices. I went to my next subject and met Jisung Sunbae. He was shocked to see me there coz I am just a sophomore but I already made up my kind to take all major subjects. He invited me for the MT this weekend, to which I told him I’ll bring Hyojung. The class was over and all I could think about is adding major subjects to my load.

 

bzzt. bzzt.

 

I’ve felt my phone on my back pocket. I grabbed it and saw a text from Hyojung.

 

Lee Hyojung

 

I just finished my class! Let’s meet at the central park!

 

I replied her saying that I am already at the central park. As I was waiting for her I played with my phone. I can never get pass this 3500 points I had in 10 blocks. After awhile, Hyojung came.

 

“Hey, Hyesoo. My classmates are asking, if you want to go to a group date with them?”

 

“No. Oh? Hyojung, we will go to an MT this weekend. he he he. Jisung Sunbae will be there too!”

 

“Will there be Oppa?”

 

“Jisung is Oppa, since he is older. And there are other males, so there will be Oppa.”

 

“Hyesoo!” She smacked my head. “What I mean is, cute guys.”

 

“I actually don’t know.” She rolled her eyes to me. She then unlocked her phone and pressed tinder. Tinder? Why is she even using a dating app?

 

“Hey, should I swipe right or left?”

 

“Right means yes? and left means no?”

 

“Yeah. Right or left?”

 

“He looks icky. Left. Left. Left. Left.” After like gazillions of photos all I said was left. Hyojung stopped using tinder already cause I am not any help.

 

“Hey? Why’d you stop? I was having fun telling you to left everyone!” I whined.

 

“Just download the app. Do the swiping left with your account not mine. Just try, huh?” She nudged me as we headed out of the university.

 

As I went home, I did tried downloading the app. It’s kinda weird that I really did. As I set up my profile, I thought of a funny catch phrase to be placed on my bio but I just went with “just here to socialize”.

 

The first guy that popped on my screen has a photo of Optimus prime. I double clicked his profile to check his other photos. He looks, handsome. I wonder why he is using this app? He has a vibe of Park Seojoon + Ahn Jaehyun. Can you imagine that? He is a mixture of top stars. I decided to swipe right. And the next other guys never really made my standards.

 

I washed and did my skin care routine when I received a message from Hyojung. She told me that she will be seeing tomorrow a guy from tinder. I told her to meet him next week. But she was so persistent about meeting him already. I then checked my tinder again, to my surprise, the only guy I swiped right, messaged me.

 

HM

 

Hey! :)

 

SooJung

 

Hey ! Back at you!

 

HM

 

Your profile says “just for socialization” what does that mean?

 

SooJung

 

It means I in socializing. he he

 

HM

 

Oh! That’s cute. Isn’t it a bit late already?

 

SooJung

 

Yeah it is. I should sleep.

 

HM

 

Before that can I get your kkt?

 

 

As I read that I went to my kkt and changed my name to Soojung. And made my display photo as minnie mouse. And I gave it to him. I don’t know what happened but I just wanted to talk with him.