A Queer Situation

A Queer Situation

“That’s not true!” Mina insisted that what Sana was suggesting was an absurd.

“Oh, come on!” Sana retorted with conviction, “Just accept it. Your gaydar is terrible.”

“No, it’s not!” Mina declared, hitting her own thigh with a clenched fist, clearly offended by Sana’s bull.

“Momo, tell Mina her gaydar .” Sana told the girl who was sitting in front of them, lazily eating a bag of Cheetos, indifferent to their drama.

“Mina, your gaydar .” She said nonchalantly.

“You’re just saying that because you don’t want to upset your girlfriend!” Mina accused her.

Momo just shrugged and continued to eat her Cheetos.

“Anyway, Mina.” Sana said, “My point still stands.”

“No, it doesn’t!”

“Do you want me to remind you all the times you hit on straight girls?”

“It’s not that my gaydar is bad,” Mina started to explain, “the problem is that I’m bad at flirting, so sometimes I end up thinking they’re flirting with me when they’re just being friendly.”

“You’re bad at flirting AND your gaydar is terrible.”

Mina tried to protest, but Sana was quicker to continue her merciless attack.

“Mina, you flirted with a straight girl…” Sana tried to keep a serious expression, but couldn’t suppress a smile.

“At a gay bar.” Momo completed Sana’s sentence.

Sana and Momo both started loudly laughing at Mina’s tragic story with tears rolling from their eyes. Mina wish she had something to say back, but she was speechless at that point. They got her.

“Not everyone is lucky enough to find out their childhood best friend is gay and in love with them.” Mina rolled her eyes at their friends, who were still laughing to the point of losing their breaths.

“Well, Momo and I were really lucky indeed,” Sana agreed, wiping tears from her eyes. “Okay, how about this,” Sana cleared , “Choose a girl from here, any girl. Try flirting with her; if she’s gay and you get her number, you win. If she’s straight, we win and you have to accept your gaydar is trash. And also buy us ice cream for a whole month. ” 

 “Free ice cream for a whole month!” Momo screamed excitedly, “You’re a genius, babe.” Momo said, kissing Sana’s cheek.

“What if she’s gay, but she doesn’t want to give me her number?”

“Mina, sweetie. Look at you.”  Sana pointed at Mina’s chest, “You look expensive AND  you’re beautiful as heck.” She said it as if it were something really obvious, “No lesbian would ever not want to date you, I speak for myself.”

“Hey, I’m here!” Momo protested, raising her hand, “But yeah, Mina, she’s right.”

Mina blushed at her friends' compliments. “Okay but, what if she already has a girlfriend?”

“Hmm.” Sana contemplated the option. “Then it’s a tie.” She simply said.

“That doesn’t sound like a fair bet.”

The smart thing to do was saying no, but Mina’s competitive side was stronger than her smart one. She couldn’t ignore a bet and Sana knew that. What a snake, Mina thought. 

“What if I win?” Mina asked. “What do I receive?”

“I don’t know, you choose.”

“Okay.” Mina accepted the challenge, “Then I want that limited edition shirt you have.”

“Oh, no, no,no! Not my shirt!” Sana got up from the bench, making an ‘X’ with her arms, “Do you know how hard it was to get that?”

“Oh, so you think I have a chance of winning?”  Mina smirked.

“You’re right. You’re gonna lose anyway.” Sana said, but she didn’t sound as confident now.

Mina was the one who got up this time. She looked around the park they were, carefully scanning the place. Actually, this park was known to be a place where LGBT people met.  People even nicknamed it “The Rainbow Park”; it shouldn’t be too difficult to find another lesbian.

As a matter of fact, she saw plenty of girls who looked really gay. To be honest, Mina hated any stereotypes, but she couldn’t deny that they had the look.

The problem laid on finding a gay girl who was alone.

In an alternative universe, Mina would just approach any girl there and say ‘Hi, I’m gay. Can you please give me your number if you’re gay too?’.

But this wasn’t an alternative universe and Mina was very much aware of her limited social skills, which she seemed to have forgotten about minutes ago when she accepted Sana’s bet.

Mina continued the search for the perfect lesbian, walking around the park with Sana and Momo quietly following behind.

That’s when she spotted the perfect victim. Apparently, Momo and Sana also noticed she found someone because she could hear their giggles behind her. Mina just sent them a fierce glare and they immediately stopped.

‘I’m certain she is gay’. Mina approached the woman who was sitting alone on a bench near the playground.  The woman looked at Mina from head to toe, with something Mina assumed was disdain in her eyes which made her whole body tremble.

But Mina couldn’t give up now, so she silently sat beside her.

“Hi.”

“Hello.” The woman said indifferently.

“How are you doing?” Mina glanced at her nails. Short. A good sign.

(She also noticed her hands were huge)

“I’m alright.”

“Me too. What a coincidence, haha.” She laughed awkwardly while she played with her fingers. The woman shrugged. “Do you come here often?”

“Sometimes.”

“Cool. I’m Mina, by the way.”

“Nayeon.” She said simply, while checking the time on her phone.

Mina looked up at the sky and admired it for a few moments. The sun was shining bright and no clouds could be seen. She looked over her shoulder and spotted her two friends sitting on the grass behind her, attentively looking at them.

She was really, really bad at flirting after all. In fact, she was tipsy as hell everytime she had flirted before, her shyness long forgotten after all those bottles of soju. Maybe this could also explain why she always went after the straight girls.

This was going to be hard, but there was no way Mina would give up.

“The weather is nice today.” Oh god, she hated small talk so much. “What brings you here today?”

“I brought my daughter to play.” She pointed at a kid who was running around with a leashed dog.

The word ‘daughter’ hit Mina like a wrecking ball and the chuckles that came behind her felt like a thousand knives stabbing her guts.

‘Calm down, Mina.’ She thought, ‘Gay people can have children too. Or maybe she’s bi.’ Mina tried to convince herself, but it was becoming hard to deny Sana was most likely right.

“Oh, you have a kid?” Mina looked at the little girl again, “She’s really cute.”

“I know right?” Nayeon sounded very proud as she smiled for the first time. “She took after me.”

 When Nayeon smiled, turned into a heart and Mina noticed how big her front teeth were. Oh, god. She’s really cute.

Okay. Now Mina was really attracted to her. She really couldn’t resist cute girls.

She was determined to get her number.

That’s when she saw that the little kid was now playing with a guy whom Mina didn’t seem to have noticed before.

. She’s married.

Mina looked behind again. Momo and Sana were feeding each other some snack they had bought before, not noticing the man’s presence yet.

Okay, Mina. Don’t assume things. It’s probably just her brother or a family friend.

It was becoming hard to deceive herself, but Mina decided to go on.  She might lose the bet, but at least she would have tried her best.

“Mommy!” The little girl ran towards them and threw herself on Nayeon’s arms, who hugged her lovingly. “Dad and I are going to buy ice cream, okay?” And then the girl disappeared as fast as she appeared, going back to where the man was.

Dad and I.

That’s it. Game over. K.O. The end. Fin.

That’s how she’d die.

Mina heard her friends sound like two dying dolphins behind her, not able to suppress their laughter anymore. Mina just wanted to run away and never talk to them anymore.  Or to flirt with anyone. Ever.

Nayeon looked over her shoulder, finally noticing the two girls. She didn’t look judgemental though, just curious.

Mina was about to get up, when she noticed the laughter had stopped. Maybe it was because Nayeon spotted them, but when she looked again her friends were gone.

She guessed they couldn’t stop laughing, so they thought it was better to just leave.

Then, Mina suddenly had an idea.

“Listen,” Mina started, “This might sound weird, but I really need your help.”

Nayeon looked at Mina confusedly, now paying attention to what the girl had to say.

“So, here’s the thing.” Mina nervously looked at her eyes and started to tell her story, “I made a bet with those two stupid hyenas and I need you to win.”

“Me?”

“Yes, you.” Mina confirmed, “My friends said that my gaydar was bad and I wanted to prove them wrong, so they challenged me to flirt with any girl here and get her number. I-I’m  sorry for assuming you weren’t straight, so can you help me? Pretty please?” Mina asked, holding Nayeon’s arm, not caring if that seemed weird now.

The woman looked at Mina with an unreadable expression. Then she let out a loud and exaggerated laugh.

Wow, no need to be rude.’ Mina thought.

“You…ha ha ha…thought…ha ha ha…I … was… ha ha… straight??” Nayeon asked, wiping her tears away.

“Are you not ?” Mina yelled surprised.

 “Of course not!” Nayeon declared, sounding offended.

“But…isn’t that guy your husband?” Mina felt like her voice was disappearing.

“Pfff, what? No! Gross!” She denied with a disgusted expression. “He’s my best friend, almost a brother.”

“But you have a kid together.”

“Are you living in the 19th century?” She teased, “He’s gay too and we both wanted to have a kid. So we did. In a non-conventional way of course, that is, no involved.” She clarified.

Mina was seriously confused. So Nayeon was a lesbian after all? Like, for real? It was too much information to process…

“Oh, god.” Mina felt like everything was spinning. “That’s what I call a plot twist.”

“But say,” Nayeon got closer to Mina until their shoulders touched, “Did you really think I was gay?”

“I did!”

“That’s like the best compliment I’ve received.” Nayeon looked touched. “Can you believe girls ignore my presence even at lesbian bars?”

“How is that possible?” Mina shockingly put her hand on , “You’re like, the gayest among the gayest.”

“Oh, you flatter me.” She nudged  Mina’s arm and smiled a heart-shaped smile once again that made Mina’s heart skip a beat. “But I guess you’re right.”

Mina liked her confidence.

“Anyway, give me your phone.” Mina obeyed, quickly grabbing her phone from her pocket and unlocking it. “Text me.” She said after she sent herself a text using Mina's phone, then she got up and walked away towards her kid who was coming back. “See you around.”

She looked back at Mina one last time and threw her a wink.

(She couldn’t wink well though, but Mina found it adorable)

Mina felt stunned. What a turn of events.

She didn’t feel like looking for Sana and Momo, so she just waited for them to come back, which didn’t take long.

“So, how did it go?” Sana asked, trying to hide a smirk.

Mina just smiled, and then lifted her phone so they could see the saved number.

“No way,” Sana exclaimed, “Shut up!”

“Nooooooo,” Momo cried, “My ice cream!”

“Just…how?”

“I guess my gaydar isn’t all that bad,” She said, “and also apparently I have a new shirt.”

“, my shirt!” Sana lamented as she remembered what they had agreed on before, “I told you this was a bad idea, Momo!”

“What do you mean? That was your idea.”

Mina giggled then started walking forward, leaving her friends bickering behind.  She felt her pocket vibrate with the arrival of a new message. She opened it and smiled.

[ Im Nayeon] [16:39]  I must say though

[ Im Nayeon] [16:39]  your gaydar might work, but your flirting skills

[ Im Nayeon] [16:39]  at first I thought you were trying to recruit me to a cult or smth lol

Mina laughed softly. She still had something to work on, after all.

Maybe she would ask Nayeon for some private lessons.


I got bored so I wrote this lol

i apologize for any grammar mistakes~