1/1

Roses are Red, Violets are Blue
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

FEBRUARY 14, 10:40 p.m.

INCHEON AIRPORT

 

It was supposed to be sweet and romantic spending Valentine's day in another country together, but here Donghae is, trapped in an airport, sitting pathetically on the floor next to an outlet, hunched over because the wire is just that god damn short.

 

"I'm telling you," Donghae whines into the phone, having to speak up to make sure Hyukjae hears him over the bustling of people. "All the flights are canceled."

 

"Ah, don't worry about it, love. I'll just send the private jet."

 

Send the private jet, he says. Donghae scoffs and rolls his eyes. No matter how long they’re together, he'll never get over the fact that he's dating a rich boy. "You don't get it. They're not letting anyone onto the runaway, either. You'll get turned away."

 

"Then I'll land it on the roof."

 

Donghae groans into his hand because he knows Hyukjae's being absolutely serious.

 

 

FEBRUARY 10, 8:04 a.m.

HYUKJAE'S FANCY APARTMENT

 

If there’s one good thing about getting past the "puppy love" stage of a relationship, it’s that Donghae gets to roll out of bed looking the ugliest he’s been all week —hair soaking in an overnight hair mask underneath his shower cap, face bloated and round from last night’s takeout— dead march to the kitchen and sit down just to have Hyukjae coo at him and tell him he’s the most adorable thing in the world. And then he gets breakfast slid in front of him without having to say anything, so that’s a plus. Then there’s the more serious things like the late nights spent out on the fire escape, sipping on professionally made martinis and talking about life as they watch the city twinkle in front of them and listen to the honking of cars twenty floors down.

 

They're known around the neighborhood as 'that cute prince and the pauper couple' and while Donghae takes offense at being referred to as a pauper, he has to admit there are some truths to the name. So he lets it slide, and smiles back every time someone in Hyukjae's building coos at the two of them in the elevator.

 

All in all, Donghae's at a great place in his life, and he's glad he has such good taste in men.

 

At least, that's how it is most of the time. But all Donghae wants to do as he stalks into the living room that morning is break Hyukjae's expensive laptop over his head.

 

But Donghae has class, so instead he sits on a stool at the island and watches Hyukjae scribble something that looks like a list onto a notepad.  He's in that expensive Armani suit Donghae helped him pick out last week, and with his hair slicked back like that, he's quite the sight. But Donghae has to keep his priorities straight, so he puts that aside and instead focuses on trying to look as pissed off as possible which isn't that hard because Donghae's been pissed off all morning.

 

When Hyukjae notices him, he looks up with a smile, dropping the pen to come over and kiss Donghae on the lips, as per their usual morning greeting. But Donghae passively aggressively turns his head the other way because he's really trying to get a point across.

 

Said point flies right over Hyukjae's head, however, because he thinks nothing of it, and settles for a sweet kiss on the cheek instead. "Morning, love. Did you sleep well?"

 

Donghae grunts, and Hyukjae happily goes on. "That's good. But I'm running a bit late for my flight, so I can't take you to breakfast like we planned. But I promise I'll make it up to you when I get back."

 

It's meant to be flirty, but Donghae doesn't really care because in six days is when Hyukjae gets back and in six days, Valentine's Day will have come and gone, and that's what he's more focused on right now.

 

"Do you have to go?" Donghae asks, whining really, because he can't stay mad when Hyukjae's looking at him like that.

 

Hyukjae chuckles, leaving Donghae with a hand brushing through his hair before he goes back to his list. "It's the annual conference, remember? There's no getting out of it."

 

"I know, but..." There's no 'but' because Donghae's pulling at straws.

 

"It's only for a couple of days." Hyukjae says, trying to make him feel better, but Donghae can't really get over the fact that he's going to be all alone on Valentine's day, so he ignores it and goes back to scowling. 

 

Things quiet down after that as Hyukjae hustles with the last of his packing. Then he gives Donghae a kiss on the head, smiling as he promises to call when he lands. 

 

And just like that he's out the door, Luis Vuitton carry on hung at his side, plane ticket in hand, and six days ahead of him in London. 

 

 

———————–––––––––––––––––––––

 

 

To be honest, he's being a bit unreasonable, Donghae thinks as he rolls onto the other side of the bed. It's not like Hyukjae gets to pick and choose his responsibilities.

 

And after all, it's not like they're missing an important day together. It's Valentine's Day for christ's sake; a day for young love and chocolates and flowers and shy confessions of love– all things Donghae shouldn't be looking forward to at his age.

 

But he is and that's the thing that's pissing him off. It's not even Hyukjae's fault. It's just his damn needy self that's making him angry.  

 

Things have been complicated for the past few months and Donghae's been in a bit of a mental slump. H doesn't know what it is, but turning thirty one last year hit him harder than he had expected. Just something about being so... not young anymore had him going through a sort of existential crisis. Sure his life is great and all, but there's something so odd and unsatisfying to think about just how much time has passed. 

 

Then Valentine's day preparations had rolled around mid January and Donghae had been bombarded by the concept of young love. His age crisis had only been heightened by it all and it had hit him in waves as he had been standing in the aisle of a Costco, surrounded by reds and pinks, and hearts, and chocolates, and teddy bears, and young couples giggling everywhere as they passed the aisle, excited for the upcoming holiday, and Donghae realized that wasn't not him anymore. He wasn't giggly and excited for chocolates or roses because that’s just not how the adult world works. After years of being together, Valentine’s day isn’t all that special; maybe a nice date night or the extra 'I love you', but it’s no longer the best day of the year in his relationship. For all the recent years they'd been together, Donghae was usually the one to protest doing anything big for Valentine's day, saying that it was too outdated for a older couple such as themselves. But Hyukjae was Hyukjae and he still liked to pamper Donghae with presents and roses, and cheesy dates. Except that this time around Donghae has gotten his wish, and now they weren't going to be celebrating the unofficial holiday of love together. 

 

Donghae tries not to be bothered with such a petty concern, but it's really hard not to as he lays in the empty king sized bed, hoping that these next six days will be kind to him. 

 

 

FEBRUARY 14, 11:38 a.m.

THE STREETS OF SEOUL

 

Donghae scrunches his nose when he steps outside and gets hit with a face full of fluttering snow. It's scattering about all around in the streets, clumping on the sidewalk and falling into all the curves and crevasses of everything in sight, blanketing the street in a beautiful coat of white.

 

It's perfect for Valentine's day and adds a romantic feel to the air as couples get to share scarves and cups of hot chocolates, and play in the snow, which is exactly why Donghae upturns his nose, and sends a glare up at the sky. Donghae's not going to be catching snowflakes in his mouth, or kissing Hyukjae under a snow covered tree because they're adults with real jobs and important things to do other than walk around with heart eyes and silly smiles. The thought doesn't help his mood, though, because it's a long walk to the cafe, and there doesn't seem to be single person like himself in sight. Just so many couples, and Donghae feels personally attacked.

 

By the time he reaches to the café, he's in a bad mood again, and he's angrily sipping away at his black, scalding hot coffee, boring holes into every single couple filtering in through the café doors as they stop in for something to warm them up.

 

Donghae scoffs against the mouth of his coffee cup, stopping mid sip to mutter complaints about a young couple near by like the old man he isn’t trying to be today. Thirty one isn’t that old. But it sure feels like it as he watches more people file about, balloons and chocolates and hearts up on hearts everywhere along with the feel of young love wafting through the air. 

 

“What?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter