1...

Just Sir

Jinki stood just inside the door, stoic and silent as he observed the scene before him. Someone would think he wasn’t looking at one thing in particular, that he had a glazed over expression, but his attention was on the one person it always was. Taemin. He was closer to the vanity in one of the really plush couches talking to a few of his cousins. In his thin fingers was a mug of what his guests thought was coffee, but Jinki knew it to be something different. For he had poured the whiskey in after brewing the freshly brewed cup to his charge. The remaining about of whiskey was in the flask just inside his suit blazer, for when he stood in the back of wedding hall and downing it straight as Taemin promised himself to another in front of thousands of people in a small amount of time.

When the watch on his wrist vibrated, Jinki’s eyes lowered to check the time and his heart felt like it has dropped into his stomach. He cleared his throat as he lifted his head. Taemin found him across the way, eyes big and open for anything Jinki might have to say. “It’s time to get dressed, Sir.”

“Ah, yes, Thank you Jinki.” Taemin pushed off his seat and smiled toward his guests, “It was good catching up… Yeah of course I’ll see you out there.”

His back was turned toward Taemin as he made sure the door was completely closed and then locked. He heard the heavy sigh that left the young man and when he turned the almost perfect posture was gone. Taemin was sagged against the back of the couch, all smiles gone from his face and the spark in his eyes was gone. “Shall we get started, sir?”

Taemin’s gaze was slow to find him even as he spoke, “You can drop the act Jinki. I’m not sir to you. I haven’t for some time.”

Jinki flashed a little smile. “If you don’t mind sir, I’d like to keep it.”

Curious, Taemin surveyed him. “And why is that Jinki?”

The butler’s smile was tight and uncomfortable. “It keeps my feelings restrained. If you’re just sir, my boss, I can pretend that’s all you are to me.”

“Ah.” Taemin’s fingers tapped softly on the side of his mug for a moment before he downed it all in one go and pushing it onto the vanity. “I guess now is as good as any. Can’t be late to my own wedding. You wouldn’t happen to have any more of that whiskey would you?”

Jinki removed his own suit jacket and placed it over a chair, pulling the flask out and unscrewing the cap. He took a long swig of it before offering it to the younger man. A deep swig later the flask was covered and placed back in the suit jacket pocket. Jinki sighed as he moved to the bag Taemin’s suit was in. He swallowed thickly when he heard the silk of Taemin’s robe falling around him in waterfalls. He laid out his pants and undershirt for him, smiling politely for him to start getting dressed. Once he was ready Jinki held up his ed shirt, carefully putting it over Taemin’s thin shoulders as he slid his arms through. Slowly, and carefully, Jinki pushed the buttons through. His head was lowered, lips in a thin line as he focused on his job. Once it was buttoned all the way he laid the tie around his shoulders and moved to grab the suspenders. Jinki clipped the ones in the front, easier to do than to move around. Once done he turned Taemin so his back was toward him. He was adjusting the length of the suspenders when Taemin softly asked, “Are you nervous?”

“Why would I be nervous?” Jinki quietly muttered, glancing up to where Taemin was looking over his shoulder. “I’m not the one getting married, sir.”

Taemin his lips, hurt bubbling in his chest. “You have to see me get married though. Today you’re giving me up.”

“I gave you up that night you first met her at dinner.” Jinki’s sure fingers stop, breath caught in his throat for a moment before he coughs and shakes his head a little. He finishes fixing the suspenders just right before turning Taemin around. His voice was even and calm, but his eyes were like windows to his soul, showing just how full of sorrow and regret he was. “I’ve had almost a year since I was given my invitation to work through knowing I’d have to. I’ll be okay.”

Taemin had always wanted to get married. He loved the idea of marrying someone he loved, surrounded by friends and family and having a good time starting a new chapter of his life. Over the last seven years neither of them expected to marry anyone but the other man. Taemin lifted his hand to cup Jinki’s jaw, his thumb gently caressing his cheek. Jinki leaned into it on instinct, eyes fluttering close for a moment. “Oh, Baby.”

When Jinki opens his eyes again the smile on his face doesn’t translate to them. He kisses Taemin’s palm slowly before pulling away slightly. His hands move up to begin to tie Taemin’s tie with quick precision. “We must finish getting you ready.”

On the vanity is a round box holding the top hat he’s supposed to wear during the outdoor service. Jinki gently wiggles the top off, moving the soft fabric surrounding the piece of headwear, and carefully lifting it from the box. When he turns Taemin is frozen in the spot he had left him, except this time there are silent tears falling down his cheeks. “Runaway with me.”

“Taemin-”

“Runaway with me.” At the repeated words Jinki’s hands fall from in front of him, the hat falling down with his left. “I don’t want to live my life with someone I do not love. I want a life with you.”

“You’ll be disowned.” Jinki softly disagrees. “There are almost three thousand guests outside waiting to watch you get married Taemin. You can’t want to marry anyone but Soojung, especially not me.”

“I don’t care about any of that.” Taemin hissed, head shaking a little in his rising anger. “All my life I’ve lived and behaved the way I was supposed to when asked. I smiled for photos, I went to benefits and parties and was the shining socialite my parents expected of me to be. Through it all my saving grace was going back to your apartment to climb into bed with you, to hold you. I don’t need all of that. I don’t want it. I don’t need my parents money, or the house. The cars. I’d be thrilled to live out of my car if it meant you were in my passenger seat.”

“I-”

When Taemin smiles then and steps closer, Jinki doesn’t pull away as his arms wrap around his waist, bringing him close. “I want you.”

Jinki bit his lip, fingers moving hesitant at first before the familiarity of the action takes over, and pushes Taemin’s hair behind his ear that fell from the styling. He scanned the man’s face for any signs of doubt, and his voice is soft and wispy as he asks, “You’d live a simple life with me in exchange for all this? You’ve not known anything else.”

“I know you.” Taemin smiled, leaning so that their foreheads touched. “You might need to teach me how to do my own laundry and how to run the dishwasher, and possibly how to cook my own omelet, but… getting the chance to wake up next to you every morning, and kissing you goodnight and getting to hold your hand whenever I wanted… taking you on dates like you deserve, that’s all worth more than it all.”

“Okay.” It was almost too quiet for Taemin to hear, but then the smile on Jinki’s face was bright and beautiful, and his voice was louder. “Okay. Let’s runaway.”

Their lips pressed together as Taemin surged forward. There was no space between them as the last year of frustration and yearning smashed into them in that one kiss. When they parted Taemin was beaming and Jinki chuckled a little bit, all breathy and soft. The younger man curled their fingers together for a moment. He only let go for a moment to write a quick message, pushing it onto the vanity mirror using a bit of fabric tape. “Let’s go. You still have the keys to the limo?”

Jinki reached into his pocket and pressed the set of keys into Taemin’s palm. “Lead the way, Babe.”

Taemin took a moment to melt at being called babe again, before snapping out of it. “Right yes. Runaway. Got it.”