THREE

She, The Spotlight.

She has always love the sky at night, when the stars were shining so brightly that she would found constantly lost in that odd world, she also love a  good glass of champagne. She smiled taking a little sip of it. The jazz at the background was a plus.

It was lovely night.

“So, my father totally loves you, he is glad you are starring the movie”

 “He’s really great, very… fatherly.” Irene woke up daydreaming, she forgot for the moment she was with someone.

She chuckled while looking chic. Irene knew with who she was going to spend the dinner, she has known this kind of people since the beginning. She almost laugh hysterically but didn’t, when she saw the girl with her Armani dress, a Cape Sleeve Velvet Dress, she recall seen at the fashion show. Woman like her are obviously daddy’s girls.

“Yes, he is, anyway, I’m pretty sure you know why I called you, right?”

“Your birthday’s coming.”

“Yes, you are going to be there.” She raised an eyebrow at her statement. Elisa, the name of this pedant girl, watched her like she was a toy ready to be play.

“What if I have another thing?”

“You don’t, now where is the waiter?”

It would be bad taste, Irene thought, punch the girl in front of these rich people, bad taste but so worth it. She saw the girl across her totally ignoring, scrolling in her phone, a cue that all conversation ended.

She sigh, the place was really beautiful and here she was totally wasting her time, wishing to be at her place right now.  

“And where is going to be your party.” She dared to ask, looking for being ignored, to her surprise the girl in front of her put down her phone.

“At my house, of course. Don’t be late.”

“Did you need something else?” A young boy said while holding a pen and notes. Irene was about to speak when the “lady” stood up, looking down the boy she just went off. There was an awkward moment where the silent was just there kissing the two person, Irene cough off the awkwardness and with a simple smile she ordered something. She could enjoy the food now.

 

 

 

As the night came to a deeper solemn, Irene couldn’t help but to start missing the cute little chipmunk, it was often when Irene caught herself thinking about that girl who just met one day.

“Wendy”

She dared to say out loud, her arms hugging herself, it was a chilly night just like the time she met her. She didn’t know how but she needed to see her one more time.

“Hey, aren’t you that chick from that terrible movie?” a manly voice could hear faintly, Irene, startled for a brief of second before smiling, recognizing the man behind that voice, turning back she was welcoming by a huge bear hug. The cologne he was wearing was enough to push him away.

“My movie wasn’t terrible and what in hell are you wearing?” She said starting walking again.

“It’s my lady tramp, one sniff and they fell on my hand and please you have to admit that your movie it is terrible.”

“It wasn’t, you just don’t like a romance like others Jaehyun.” The man whose smile were between a cocky and a conservative one, step faster until he got beside her and put his arms around her shoulder.

“Sure thing you like romance, uh Irene.” She didn’t reply and it was a clue for him to chance the topic “So, how was dinner?”

“Terrible but food were good, anyway what are you going to do Saturday’s night?”

“Something with you, I guess.”

“I don’t want to go alone to the party, be my date.”

“Oh your fans would get crazy but alright, I love being your boyfriend in front everybody.”

Irene smile but the sudden comment brought her the thought of why she must make her best friend pretend to be something more. Fame, to her dismay, wasn’t an easy path, she only dreaming about the shining side of this world.

Never in her mind would knew about the dark side.

Being one of the most loved and famous actress wasn’t easy. It was harder with the fact of her no liking boys.

“Are you alright?”

She stops walking, the cold breezed was like a hard slap on her face and bittersweet, like the taste of salt you get when the ocean is near. The night wasn’t lovely as before. The thought of wanting to see Wendy again, slowly vanished, even when the remote possibility of her being with Irene was there, she couldn’t do that to her, to anyone.

“I’m fine. I’m going home.” Irene said, taking a step closer to him, kissing his cheek, she smiled at him. “Breakfast, tomorrow?” The man with a confused face nodded and just with that, Irene took her path back home.

As the street were being left behind, Irene started to feel cold, with her hands inside her coat’s pocket and with slows step, she cursed herself for wearing once again a drees and just a light coat in this weather but then again walking down the street wasn’t in her plan.

The sound of a band catch her attention, she saw a small crowd around of what it seems was a band of three people. She was surprised to see people gathering around this late at night and with this cold. She didn’t want to be recognized but her curiosity was at the edge. So she just stood far enough to hear whoever were playing. It was a good song and the voice of that man was suitable with the mood of the night.

She was so lost on it that unconsciously closed her eyes and starting to hum along the beat, stopping suddenly when she felt a heavy fabric around her shoulder.

“You know Irene, you are terrible hiding your emotion.” She didn’t say anything, thanks him silently for the coat he put on her. Arms were interlocked, as the two best friends stood there watching the band playing.

The mind of the younger actress drifted apart to her own world, to the place she knew, she would could only be herself. She missed the old times when she was a plain child and all those stuff about love were repulsive to her. At least it was easy back then.

“Need a ride back home?” Jaehyun asked

There wasn’t an answer as she opted to walk down the street with her friend beside, he didn’t say a word as he knew how Irene tends to deal with their stuff.

“So, Irene, do I need a tux for this birthday thing? Cause you know how much I hate wearing one.”

The young actress smiled, nodding all the way “And you will also need to wear a funny tie, after all is a party where are we going.”

“Oh man! Tabloids are going to eat me alive.” Jaehyun say exaggerating while pouting throwing up his arms. Irene didn’t hide her amusement.

 

 

 

 

A black limousine roll off leaving a young woman in a black backless bodycon dress holding tight her purse, breathing in and out before entering to the ridiculous big house, sure thing the party that was getting inside was a huge success. She almost laugh for such cliché she was witnessing.

“Right over here Miss Bae” A tall man in a tux said to her leading the way in. She regrets coming here in the moment her feet touch the backyard, all the people she hates to deal was there, Actually it seems like everybody that was someone at the moment was here.

“What can I expect from someone like her” The young woman thought. A wide stray show up in front of her, a young girl with big eyes and lips red stood there smiling her offering a glass of champagne.

“Would you like some, Miss Bae?” Joy, she read the little Id, she was cute with a mix of iness and her lips, so tentative…. “Miss Bae?” She smiled sweetly before grabbing the glass. The young waitress nodded before going. "I must going crazy".

“Irene, darling I’m glad you came.” Elisa said almost running to her, pulling the young actress in a way to be friendly hug, kissing her in both cheeks before grabbing her hand and take her to her “friends”. Of course she would introduced the actress as a close pal.

“Yes, my Irene here is going to be lead at the new movie my dad is directing.” She continued talking, thank God it was sunny out and she didn’t have to take off the sunglasses or else she wouldn’t rolled her eyes with pleasure.

The man around them, if she didn’t knew well, were tearing them apart with those lustful eyes, it was times like this when she missed her friend which find it annoyingly strange he wasn’t there, she was going to murdered him if he dare to stood her up.

And like if was heaven’s sign, Jaehyun walk in the scene wearing a suit with a little red bow and a short black short. Irene find it amusing how he wasn’t gay with the way he dressed.

With a little wave Jaehyun noticed her, no that it was hard, Irene excused herself, relief that she could drop the fake smile and actually wear an honest one.

“So, what you think? You think I left a good impression?” Her best friend ask, giving a small and quick turn, showing off his outfit.

“I don’t know about good but sure you made an impression.”

“Oh shut it, I look good, no matter what I wear, there are some fans of you that say I’m your male version, how nice is that?.”

“That is so gross…”

And just like a romantic movie, when the peak of a song is playing and the crowd is fading, the scene freeze in the exact moment when certain brunette came walking down the stairs that lead to the pool, the smile she was wearing was the same she remembered, the little and cute chipmunk she was dying to see once again.

The woman she spend time thinking about. Her heart no really taking well about the new sight, she knew too well that the jumps that made her fragile heart were not normal. And didn’t know if it was safe to say it but she couldn’t help it. So she breathe one more time, fearing that it would be her last but if it did, she would happy knowing her last words were her name.

“Wendy.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

So lately I have been obsessed with the song "What the world need now is love" by Jackie Deshannon. Anyway, have a great day!