final

fleeting
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Jihoon-hyung, if we both make it into the top eleven, will be able to be together?"

 

That simple question hung in the air. Jihoon knew it was asking for more than just being in the same group. He turned towards the other boy, their bodies facing each other in the small bed.

 

"Yes Guanlin, we will."

 

Despite the promise being something to rejoice, both boys laid in an anguished silence.

 

Because they knew their time together was limited.

 

-

 

"In 7th place, Cube’s Lai Guanlin."

 

"And 2nd place, Maroo Entertainment’s Park Jihoon."

 

Guanlin grinned at Jihoon with the happiest, most beautiful smile and Jihoon's heart seized up in his chest. They hugged tightly and when Jihoon pulled away, Guanlin gestured vaguely to his face. Of course, Jihoon knew what the younger wanted. So with a light smile he motioned Guanlin to lean down and in one swift movement, landed a soft peck to Guanlin's cheek.

 

Then before Jihoon could do anything stupid on live television, like pull Guanlin in for an actual kiss, Jihoon hurried towards his seat. Jihoon lifted his eyes and immediately caught Guanlin's who was watching him. They smile and for once don't think about anything but the happy days that are coming.

 

-

 

The weeks after the end of Produce 101 goes by in a flurry of debut preparations and countless CF shootings. Their group name is chosen; the eleven of them now known as Wanna One. They start filming for their reality show as soon as they move into their new dorm and everything just moves so fast it's hard for them to keep up.

 

They're so busy that Jihoon and Guanlin don't have time to themselves. But it's alright because they're finally living their dreams. They are standing on stage, performing and doing what they love, with thousands of fans screaming their names.

 

When Jihoon sees Guanlin smiling that beautiful smile, pure and innocent, he feels so glad the younger made it through and reached his goal. And when Guanlin turns to send that heart stopping smile to Jihoon, looking at the elder like he's the only one in the world, Jihoon feels so happy that Guanlin is his.

 

-

 

It was the end of the first week of their comeback with Nothing Without You, the repackage of their first mini album. Wanna One was having a fansign and as usual, the fans were all very excited and emotional.

 

As dictated by their official standing order, Guanlin was supposed to be on the very left end of the long table, with only Seongwoo in between him and Jihoon. However, today, for some reason, Guanlin had been shuffled to the other side of the table while Jihoon was where he usually was. In the beginning, Guanlin had pouted, sad that he wouldn't be able to play around with his precious Jihoon. Then during a lull in the fansign when Guanlin had finished up with a fan, but the next fan was still held up, he had an idea. Picking up the microphone next to him, Guanlin's face lights up with a wide smile.

 

Jihoon also didn't have a fan in front of him and was busy smiling and waving to the audience when a sweet, deep voice reached his ears.

 

"Park Jihoon is so handsome!"

 

Jihoon's eyes widen slightly and he automatically turns to his right to find the source of the call. When he doesn't see the cheeky maknae, he whips his head to his left. Leaning forward, Jihoon barely catches sight of his boyfriend before he picks up his microphone and responds.

 

"What the, Guanlinnie?"

 

Guanlin grins and his eyes turn into crescents as he glances in Jihoon's direction.

 

"Park Jihoon is so handsome."

 

Guanlin repeats, before calling out 'Park Jihoon' in a high pitched voice.

 

On his side, Jihoon is struggling not to squeal at how cute Guanlin is being. Jihoon remains silent, not trusting himself to speak and goes back to giving fanservice.

 

Later that night, Jihoon attacks Guanlin with hugs and kisses, scolding him playfully for messing with him at the fansign. Guanlin just grins and enjoys Jihoon's presence, basking in his warm embrace.

 

-

 

2017 ends before Guanlin and Jihoon even realises and 2018 is coming at them in full force. They have already discussed and been briefed on the plans for Wanna One in this new year and it's packed to the brim with comebacks and programs and endorsements.

 

Guanlin is excited for Wanna One's new activities but what he has really been waiting for was one particular day. February fourteenth, to be exact. Also known as Valentine's Day or the day Guanlin will kill Jihoon with his cheesy but sweet words.

 

It started as soon as Jihoon woke up with Guanlin by his side. The two of them had slept in the same bed, again, since Guanlin just wouldn't let go of Jihoon, even in his sleep. Guanlin shot a bright smile to Jihoon, who returned it sleepily.

 

"Jihoon-hyung."

 

Guanlin calls to make sure Jihoon is paying attention to him. When Jihoon hums in acknowledgement, Guanlin continues.

 

"Aren't you tired? Because you've been running through my mind all night."

 

Jihoon blinks at Guanlin in confusion, mind unable to process such a pick up line at four am in the morning.

 

Guanlin chuckles and lands a peck on Jihoon's forehead.

 

"It's Valentine's Day today hyung."

 

With that, Guanlin gets up and leaves a surprised Jihoon behind.

 

And apparently that was only the start of it. Before Jihoon even made it to the bathroom to do his morning routine, Guanlin appeared beside him with another big smile.

 

"I thought happiness started with a H but why does mine start with U?"

 

This time Jihoon blushes and he pushes Guanlin away to hide inside the bathroom.

 

The next attack was in the van. They were on the way to their first schedule when Guanlin leaned over to Jihoon to whisper in his ear.

 

"Are you a magnet? Because I'm so attracted to you."

 

Except Guanlin miscalculates how loud his voice was and everyone in the van hears him. There is a short silence as everyone turns to stare at the two of them before somebody wolf whistles and the quiet breaks into teasing remarks.

 

Jihoon turns pink immediately while Guanlin grins smugly to himself.

 

The rest of the morning passes normally, with Wanna One busy with their show recording. After that they were driven to the venue for their fanmeeting. They were going to hold a special Valentine's Day fanmeet, much to their fans' delight. They had a quick run through of how the show would go that night before given an hour break for lunch.

 

Guanlin and Jihoon were sitting on one of the couches in their dressing room, munching through some rice and meat. Jihoon had completely forgotten about Guanlin's sudden pick up line attack and was fully absorbed in satisfying his hunger when Guanlin's perky voice reached his ears.

 

"Jihoon-hyung, if you were a chicken, you'd be impeccable."

 

Jihoon stills for a second as his mind registers the sentence before bursting out in laughter. Guanlin watches Jihoon laugh with a fond smile on his face, glad he could make his hyung happy. Once Jihoon is done, he turns to Guanlin with a playful frown.

 

“I was in the middle of eating, Lin. What if I choked or something?”

 

Guanlin sticks his tongue out, leaning against Jihoon’s side. “But you didn’t.”

 

Jihoon shakes his head before resuming eating.

 

The special Valentine’s Day fanmeeting was a big success, with the Wanna One members having heaps of fun playing couple games together and performing for their fans.

 

The drive back to their dorms was a silent affair with most of the members dozing off after their eventful day. Jihoon had his head resting on Guanlin's shoulder but he was wide awake. He was playing with his and Guanlin's hands when the younger turned his head slightly. This time Guanlin whispered successfully, with only Jihoon hearing the soft words.

 

"If beauty were time, you'd be an eternity."

 

Jihoon's heart swells and he feels all warm inside. Maybe he and Guanlin couldn't freely spend Valentine's Day together like other couples, but the amount of love Guanlin had been sending him today definitely wasn't lacking. With a small smile Jihoon looks up and meets Guanlin's eyes. Then without warning, Jihoon closes the distance between them and presses a kiss to Guanlin's lips. Pulling away slightly, Jihoon murmurs his own line.

 

"If I had to choose between breathing and loving you, I would say 'I love you' with my last breath."

 

-

 

The months speed by and soon enough it's halfway through the year. Wanna One is releasing their third mini album entitled Never End, with a title track called Rose. It's a mid tempo ballad song with a melody and lyrics as beautiful as the name. What had Guanlin and Jihoon excited, and nervous, was the choreography.

 

It was during the bridge when Guanlin's rap part came on. Jihoon was to kneel on one knee and look down whilst Guanlin walked from the side to diagonally behind him. Then as Guanlin finished his rap, he was to use his right hand to lift Jihoon's chin up until he and Jihoon's eyes met.

 

Now, the moves were simple and easy to follow, but it was the nature of the gestures that had both boys flushing every single time during dance practice. The choreographer was either oblivious or didn't care, but the other mem

Please log in to read the full chapter