Chapter One.

You'll Be In My Heart

1.

 

Madisen sits crossed legged on the couch awaiting her friend to come downstairs. The two friend’s planned earlier to go out shopping this afternoon, but when Madisen arrived just ten minutes ago, Eryn invited her in to wait while she finished getting ready.
Madisen’s fingers twirl her hair, still not used to her new shorter hair style, while she awaits her friend to come downstairs.
“Yes babe, I’m asking now” Eryn giggles. Madisen looks up to her best friend who steps down the stairs her cell phone pressed to her ear.
“Okay, love you, bye babe” Eryn hangs up the phone and skips up to Madisen who stands up.
“Ready to go?” Madisen suggests they get on their way.
“Yeah-” Eryn walks with Madisen to the front door. “I have a question; a big one” Eryn chuckles.
“Oh really? And that is?” Madisen slides her shoes on and the two begin on their way out the door.
“Well, what would you say about vacationing this summer? To Korea?” Eryn asks as the two girls takes their seats in Madisen’s family van.
“Pardon?” Madisen’s eyes widen.
“Well, I don’t exactly want to travel alone-”
“You’re serious?” Madisen’s mouth is slightly agape.
“Yeah, I’m planning to visit Daniel this summer, but I want you to come with” Eryn smiles.
“Actually?”
“Yes”
“Well, I’d be dumb to say no” Madisen laughs, agreeing to go with her best friend to South Korea.


Eryn and Daniel have been dating for the past three years, but when Daniel graduated from college here in Canada he had to move back home to South Korea. So the couple has been making a long distance relationship work for them for about five months now.
Madisen knew Eryn wanted to see Daniel this summer, but she didn’t think she would go for the full two and a half months, let alone, invite her on the trip as well.


~ ~ ~


“Are you excited?” Madisen chuckles looking at her friend who sits beside her. Eryn’s eyes are pasted out the window, viewing the land that moves beneath them.
The plane will land in just a half hour and the closer they get to Korea, Madisen can practically feel Eryn’s excitement radiating from her body.
“Just a tad” Eryn giggles a response, not looking at her friend. “Do you think I’ll cry seeing him? I hope I don’t” she laughs at herself. Madisen chuckles too.
“I doubt you’ll cry. Screaming? Well, that’s a possibility” Madisen remarks jokingly.
Eryn takes in a deep breath as the plane begins to descend.


“I feel like I should ask if you’re excited” Eryn giggles as the plane lands and begins to taxi into the airport.
“I am” Madisen answers.
It’s Madisen’s first time in Korea, and to say the least she’s excited to explore and do some of the touristy things she’s been told about from Eryn.
“This will be an experience I’m sure I won’t forget” she adds.


“Oh my God, we stopped” Eryn’s excitement becomes more evident as the plane reaches its final stop.
All the passengers grab their carry ons and begin making their way off the plane. The two girls follow by instruction heading out and into Incheon airport. Madisen, follows Eryn who’s done this before.
The two make their way through customs and out to retrieve their luggage.
“I can’t take this waiting” Eryn whines. Both of their eyes watch bags circle in front of them over and over again as they wait for their own.
“Finally!” Madisen exclaims quietly to her friend as she grabs her blue suitcase from the track.
“Oh come on” Eryn whines bending down into a crouch as she still awaits her bag.
After another ten minutes Eryn’s purple suitcase makes its way towards the girls. “Thank the lord” Eryn chuckles grabbing her bag and spinning on her heels.


The two girls giddily walk for the doors, dragging their suitcases and carrying their carry ons.
Madisen looks over at Eryn as the sliding doors open in front of them revealing a decent sized crowd of people all waiting for their own friends and family's to exit through the doors.
Eryn’s eyes scan the crowd easily finding the one person she’s been anticipating seeing. Quickly she walks forward and around the small half wall. Once at a closer distance she skips, more so runs, up to Daniel throwing her arms around him. Madisen follows after her, looking around at the people around them to give the couple a moment.
Eryn kisses her boyfriend sweetly. “Hi~” her voice speaks.
“Hi babe” he hands her a bouquet of pink blossoms, pecking her forehead softly.
“Hello Madisen” he chuckles waving a hand at the other girl.
“Hello Daniel, good to see you” Madisen greets the boy with a smile.
The trio begin walking for the airport’s main exit. Daniel drags both the girl’s suitcases while Eryn clings to his arm like a koala.


The taxi ride into Seoul and to Daniel’s home is about an hour. Over the drive Eryn and Daniel chat back and forth, while Madisen’s eyes are pasted out the window at her new surroundings.
“Hey Madi-” Daniel starts, and her eyes look to the front seat where Daniel sits looking back at her.
“Hmm?”
“What do you think, so far?” Daniel asks referring to the new country.
“It’s amazing, kinda like how I thought it’d be, but also not” Madisen giggles.


~ ~ ~


“Welcome to your home for the next two months” Daniel chuckles entering in the passcode to his apartment.
He swings the door open revealing his fairly large and spacious apartment. Daniel smiles at the two girls before entering and carrying their suitcases for them. Both girl’s follow him inside the apartment, looking around their ‘new home’ as Daniel said.
“This is your house?” Madisen questions.
“Yes” Daniel chuckles.
“It’s so big, for an apartment for one” she laughs.
“I like my space” he laughs with her.
“Come on, I’ll show you to your rooms”
“We have our own rooms?” Madisen furrows her eyebrows at the realization of how large the apartment really is.
“Well, yeah” Daniel smiles.
The girls follow him down a hallway where he points out a washroom before opening the door to his bedroom. “Babe, just put your stuff in my room, I’ll show Madi to her’s” Daniel smirks at his girlfriend.
“Your room” Eryn giggles.
“I figured you wouldn’t wanna stay in a guest room” Daniel chuckles.
“Not wrong” Eryn agrees skipping into the boy’s bedroom.
Daniel shows Madisen to the first and largest of two guest rooms just down the hallway from the master.
“Here we are” he swings open the door and she bows her head in thanks to him. Daniel leaves her to herself and to sort out her things.
Madisen takes a seat on the edge of the bed looking around the room. There's a small window on the far wall and a dresser on the wall parallel to the bed. She quickly begins unpacking her clothes and stuffing them into the dresser.


“Hey Madi-” Eryn’s voice interrupts Madisen’s actions. “Let’s go out for dinner” the girl standing in the doorway smiles to her best friend.
“Alright” Madisen sets the last of her shirts into the drawer and skips out of the room to join the couple in the living room.


“Do you guys mind if a couple of my friends join us?” Daniel looks up from his phone.
“Not at all” Eryn replies.
“They want to meet you Eryn, and they’re in the area and are bugging me” Daniel laughs.
“Well, then should we be on our way” Eryn takes his hand in hers and the three leave out to the streets to find the restaurant Daniel’s friends insisted they meet at.
“How many friends are we meeting?” Madisen, who tends to be socially awkward asks.
“Two, maybe three” Daniel laughs. “Ah, here” Daniel looks up at the restaurant sign.
Eryn gasps reading the sign for herself. “Fried chicken?” she says giddily.
“Yes” Daniel wraps an arm around her and enters the quaint restaurant with Madisen following behind them.


“Hey~” Daniel greets two men sitting across from one another at a table. Both girls slightly bow as the other men take notice to them.
“Guys, this is my girlfriend Eryn, and her best friend Madisen” Daniel speaks. Eryn smiles and Madisen slightly waves her hand.
“Hello, I’m Ong Seongwu, you can just call me Ong” the older looking of the two friends introduces himself.
“Hi” the other of the boys starts. “I’m Jihoon” his eyes trail up and down Madisen before he bows his head to both girls. Eryn side eyes Daniel who shrugs slightly as they both noticed Jihoon practically checking Madisen out.


The small group take seats at the table and order a couple plates of chicken.
“You look like you want to ask a question, you’re just not speaking” Eryn chuckles, questioning Seongwu’s intense gaze.
“Yeah, you got any hot friends?” Eryn’s eyes widen at Seongwu’s question. Daniel facepalms immediately and Jihoon nearly chokes on his drink.
Madisen sends a playful glare at Seongwu.
“My sister would be into you” Eryn chuckles a sly response.
“Cool, hook me up” Seongwu winks jokingly.


The meal comes and the group begin eating. Madisen gingerly takes a bite of her chicken, her eyes not falling from the boy who sits in front of her. Jihoon’s eyes glance up at her which she immediately avoids his eye contact.
“So-” Jihoon’s voice nearly startles Madisen as she isn’t expecting him to strike a conversation. The other three at the table chat with one another.
“You’re my age?”
“I don’t know, am I?” Madisen chuckles, trying to play off this conversation coolly. To be honest, Jihoon is cute, and she realizes that.
“Yeah, Daniel told me that, so, yeah” Jihoon chuckles.
“Oh” Madisen giggles awkwardly.
“Do you work back in Canada?” Jihoon asks, casually continuing a conversation. Madisen’s eyes examine every feature of the boy’s face. His round eyes and pink lips mostly.
“I do, I’m a manager at a clothing store”
“So you’re smart?” Jihoon chuckles.
“Uh-?”
“I just work at a cafe down the street from my house” Jihoon laughs.
“Ah~” Madisen nods.
“All I do is make coffee” he jokes.
Jihoon bites his lip, his mind searching for another topic to talk about with the pretty girl in front of him.
“Um, how do you know Daniel and Ong?” Madisen continues their conversation.
“Daniel used to work at the same cafe as me, and I know Ong ‘cause of him. How do you know Eryn?”
“School, we’ve been friends since grade nine”
“That’s a long time” Jihoon looks between the two girls.
“Yeah” Madisen chuckles.


~ ~ ~


The group soon finish their meals, all joining in conversations and getting to know each other better. For another hour or so they stay sitting around the table chatting back and forth.


“We should get going before subways stop” Seongwu suggests, nudging Jihoon with his elbow.
“We should head home too, they only just got off a thirteen hour flight and should sleep” Daniel speaks with a chuckle. It’s true both of them we’re starting to feel the jetlag.
The bunch all walk for the door. “It’s on me” Daniel smiles, prancing up to the counter and paying for all of their meals.
“Thanks Neil” Jihoon bows his head as Daniel joins them again.
Daniel grabs ahold of Eryn’s hand swinging it back and forth as they walk and Seongwu runs skipping from the restaurant.
“Hey Madi- can I call you Madi?” Jihoon starts, gaining Madisen’s attention.
“Um, yeah sure” she chuckles.
“Um-” Jihoon bites his lip again. “May I have your phone number? Then we can continue talking? I mean, if you want”
“Yeah, I’d like that” Madisen smiles, not hesitating to give the cute boy her contact information.
“Thanks, I really liked talking to you” Jihoon smiles shyly.
“Right back at ya” Madisen chuckles.
“I’ll uh, be seeing you I’m sure” Jihoon laughs.
“Yeah, bye” Madisen watches the boy prance off and catch up with Seongwu.


“Madi?” Eryn nudges her friend.
“Hmm?” Madisen’s eyes stay watching the boy in the distance.
“Let’s go” Eryn laughs, practically reading Madisen’s ‘he’s so cute’ thoughts.
“Okay” Madisen nods.


~ ~ ~


“I’ll be right in to bed” Eryn tells her boyfriend, as she skips down the hall and into Madisen’s room.
“Yes?” Madisen looks to her friend.
“You and Jihoon seemed to hit it off” Eryn chuckles taking a seat beside Madisen on the bed.
“Yeah” Madisen looks down at her palms. “Would it be weird to say I’m crushing after only just meeting somebody?”
“Um-” Eryn’s eyes widen. “I don’t think it’s weird, maybe a little quick” Eryn laughs. “Mind you, I hated Daniel when we first met, so I’m not the best person to ask such questions to” she chuckles.
“So it’s not weird to have not wanted to end our conversation?” Madisen asks honestly.
“No, not at all. You guys seemed to talk pretty effortlessly” Eryn tells her.
“Do you think he’ll actually text me?”
“You gave him your number?”
“Yeah”
“He’d be dumb to not use it” Eryn chuckles.
Madisen takes in a deep breath. “I need to stop thinking about this, he’s just some guy. Imma try and sleep, see you in the morning” Madisen speaks, basically kicking Eryn out of her room.
“Okay-” Eryn giggles at her friend, knowing it’s harmless for Madisen to be attracted to Jihoon. “See you in the morning” Eryn bids her friend goodnight and skips back to Daniel’s bedroom.


Madisen stares at the ceiling. Why am I thinking about him? She huffs rolling over to her side. He’s just a friend of Daniels. But I want him to text me? She sighs. He’s really cute. But I don’t know him? She rolls onto her stomach, shoving her face into the pillow. Jihoon. She thinks his name. God dammit, Jihoon…


~ * ~


Madisen~
Jihoon’s thoughts keep spinning.
The way she smiled at me. The way she looked at me.
He sighs, pulling his blankets up to under his chin.
I shouldn’t do this…
He sighs again.
How can I not?
He shuts his eyes tightly trying to rid his mind of his thoughts.
God dammit, Madisen...

 



Chapter Question:

Do you like how quick the two have developed 'feelings' for one another?

Chapter Song:
White Girl - MONSTA X.

** let me know in the comments what you think so far.