Start and Final

Summer Heat

Summer is coming, and the heat is no joke. I huff an annoyed sigh before going out. I don’t hate summer, no, I just don’t like the sun burn my skin just in matter of seconds. Not that I have a milky white skin like my other friends, but I am really not keen of letting my skin open for others to see, moreover in this kind of heat too.


I send short message to Hwayoung, my roommate, to let her know that I am on the way to meet her already. Actually, I prefer to have dinner outside with her when summer comes, but I can’t really object her request for having pizza in the middle of hot day. I agree just because she’s my bestfriend and I have afternoon class after this, while she has gone early because of her schedule today. She is the one who always have my back on my ty days, so I return the favor, even it’s killing me.


 



The next day Hwayoung seems too excited. I can’t point out why but something is definitely happened sometime when she is not with me today. She asks me to accompany her to a snack restaurant & bar near the campus in the evening. The one that is usually crowded with people, not only the students but workers near campus. She even insists to wait for me at the campus park, enjoying the weather she says. It’s weird since she must go for her class in the morning, but she still wants to stay outside rather than sleep like usual. She knows I don’t buy her ridiculous reason, but I let her do as she wish anyway.


I walk quickly to get her, worrying that she will be bored while waiting for me. But to my shock, I find her smile brightly and give excited response to a certain boy, the infamous Jeon Jungkook, who is sitting together with his peers. I have said to my closest friends once that I will never hang out with the popular kids. Not because they are bullies, but I want less drama from being near to the spoiled brats, especially the girls.


“Hey, Y/N” Hwayoung waves excitedly making the others turn their heads to me. I don’t like the attention and decide to ignore them while waving back.
“Let’s go, before the place is crowded with workers” I say, not really want to engage the others. 
One boy shoots me curios look, taking my attitude as challenge because no one openly do what I do to him, and his friends. Popular kids are born to be admired by people. I think he sees his existence a little bit higher than others and it’s annoying.

“Rude, aren’t you?” he says with piercing look. 


I give him the attention he wants, looking him to the eye and say nothing. I might look cold and confident but deep down I feel intimidated with him, but he doesn’t need to know that. His black locks contrast with the pearl white skin, his strong glare penetrates me with cynical smirk. I know who he is, hell, everyone knows who he is. He is the well-known senior that one never wants to mess with, Min Yoongi. But I’m too late to being nice and it seems amused him.
“Hey, hey, we better not start at the wrong foot, right?” says Jungkook that abruptly standing and blocks my view from Yoongi.
“I’m Jungkook, your bestfriend’s classmate in Cinematography. Sorry for Yoongi’s rudeness, he was born that way”


I scoff and shrug my shoulder, implying that I don’t really care of how he acts while actually relief when Jungkook interferes. Yoongi is the biggest threat of all, so I think it will be better to avoid him at all cost. Jungkook’s eyes show interest on I don’t know what.
“Hwayoung tell me that you guys will go to the snack bar, mind if we join you?”
“What?” ask me.
“No!” shouts Hwayoung.
Both of my bestfriend and I answer him at the same time making Jungkook chuckle. Hwayoung blushes and gives me shy smile and it makes me freeze in my spot. Having her as closest person to me after my family making me know her sign of falling to someone. I can’t deny that Jungkook is indeed attractive. He is handsome and smooth with words.
“So, we can join you, right?”
He now directs his question to my friend slash betrayer since she will gladly accept him and his friends with wide open arms. I let out a sigh when they start to walk passing me to the bar. Hwayoung abandons me for Jungkook already.


“You’re not the only one who annoyed” says Yoongi, walking so slowly than the others purposely.
I think he wants to continue what have been interrupted by Jungkook earlier. I give him no response now, just to let him know that I want to limit any interaction with him.
“Think you can swat my boredom away from challenging me, but it seems cat got your tongue now”
Turning my head to him is a bad move since I find him smiling to me. Is this really the Min Yoongi that everyone talks about? Why is he smiling?
“Gotcha” he says, keeping the smile on his face.
“Are you really that desperate of my attention?”
“I never meet a girl that wears long sleeves in summer, you’re the first”
It never crosses my mind before that I like to wear long sleeves in the heat of summer, not like the other girls who definitely choose sleeveless blouse and mini skirt.
“So what?” I ask casually like it doesn’t really matter.
“At least you have a piece of mind that the other girls don’t have”
He shrugs after answering and keeps walking beside me. Later I realize, he wears long sleeves, just two of us from our group. That’s the beginning of my weird destiny.


 


 

I keep seeing Jungkook with one or two of his friends on my lunch table, the table that I and my friends use. The farthest table from the usual that popular one’s had, the one that located in the corner of the campus cafeteria. The others seem enjoy Jungkook’s presence and accept him as one of the group now so I can barely complain. Furthermore, Hwayoung enjoys it the most so I keep it inside. Besides, they don’t as bad as I thought before.


Today, Yoongi comes with Jungkook for lunch. He then chooses to sit beside me when there is space beside his friend. He keeps his expressionless face the entire lunch, making me think that Jungkook might force him to join without his consent.
“Why are you here when you just scare everyone’s appetite off with that face?”
His lips tilt before he puts his full attention to me. Somehow, it looks like he waits for my question since his arrival. He looks me at the eyes before open his mouth.
“Don’t you think it’s charming?” he answers with his signature smug smile. I shake my head while chuckling.
“You wish. I thought you want to kill everyone who meets your eyes”
“Maybe I am”
“Then shouldn’t I be dead by now?” I ask and raise an eyebrow to him.
He laughs softly and enough to make the others stop whatever they are doing. Smiling Yoongi is rare, laughing Yoongi has been considered impossible. I am taken a back with his response which seems very genuine.
“Nah. My glare won’t work to you. I should find another stronger way to defeat you”
I can the others’ stare at the back of my head because of simple action that Yoongi does. The said man seems not aware of it, but I know Yoongi is just simply ignoring them. How do I know that? It’s because he’s Min Yoongi, who is different from others, similar to me.


 


 

Yoongi becomes more and more often stay around me. Well, it’s safe to say that we are now a big group of friends. Sometimes, it will be just himself coming to get me and have some coffee. And no, I don’t reject him every time he comes because he never really asks but leads you to follow him. He is really the type who dominates people without making the other realize. My friends tease me how I have changed from the anti-popular kids into Min Yoongi plus one. No one ever questions this situation though. As weird as it is, Min Yoongi chooses to hang out with me besides his inner circle. 


“I still don’t understand Yoongi and his long sleeves in the summer” Jungkook says one day. His friends nod in agreement.
“I respect him because of that though. I can’t even handle the heat when I’m in t-shirt like this” adds Hoseok.
“I don’t like the sunrays” Yoongi tells them with disinterest look on his face.
“Yeah, but other people choose to meet the blinding sunrays than feeling the heat in sleeves”
“I’m not like the others” Yoongi says with confident tone. He glances at me, seems like expecting me to say something.
“And I’m not the only one” he continues. He now openly stares at me, leading others to see me as well.


Hwayoung lets out a gasp when she sees me. I think she just realizes that her bestfriend dresses alike to Yoongi. She is used to see me in long sleeves and never think it’s weird. I dart my eyes to the left and right, watching others’ reaction. They seem amused and excited about it while Jungkook seems like he notices it since the very beginning of our 'friendship'.
“See? You’re different” Yoongi says while laughing loudly and wearing a proud look.

 


 

“Yoongi?” I surprise to find the older man in front of my apartment door. 
He dresses in all black, black leather jacket, black turtleneck and black jeans which looks good on him. He lets his black hair arranged messily on the top of his head. He flashes me small smile at my expression then frown after really taking my appearance. He seems more surprised than me to see me in pajamas, which very different with him.


“You’re not going to the party?” he asks. I can sense a pinch of disappointed tone in his voice but not really sure. He never do that before so how do I know for sure.
“Nope. I try to persuade her until the last hour, but she still says no” Hwayoung sighs.
“I just don’t feel like going tonight. Have fun you guys” I say while standing aside, letting Hwayoung go out of the room. I don’t go to party a lot, and the first party of summer holiday tonight don’t attract my interest either.
“You sure you are okay of being alone?” she asks again, for the nth time this evening.
“Of course,” I answer with chuckle “I can get myself a full course dinner, Mom, don’t worry.” She, sometimes, treats me like a child when I am at the same age with her, older few months in fact. She chuckles, meanwhile Yoongi looks like he thinks about something serious.


“I bet Jungkook is waiting for you long enough” remind me to them who are still standing before me. Yoongi takes off his jacket and moves closer to me. My eyes widen at his action, I don’t really catch his intention but the proximity makes me hold my breath. This beautiful Yoongi is more intimidating than the casual Yoongi. He looks at me, seems wondering whether his decision is the right one or not.
“Tell Jungkook I’m staying with Y/N”
“What?!” ask me and Hwayong at the same time. We indeed often to hang out alone, but this is the very first time of him to be in my apartment. We are going to be alone in my place for the night until Hwayoung coming back. I never think this will happen though. I am too shocked to give any response after that, while Hwayoung is only nodding under Yoongi hard stare.
“I’ll tell Jungkook” she says before waving and walking off to the elevator.


Yoongi closes the door and changes his shoes to the house’s sandals. He walks inside and looks around. I thank myself that I don’t make much mess earlier.
“What’s that?” I ask, standing few steps away from him.
“What’s what?” he asks back.
“Why are you cancelling the party?”
“Don’t feel like going” he answers with shrug. He gets himself comfortable in the sofa and flipping the channel to find something interesting. I’m confused but then sit beside him when he stops talking. This is my house, but he acts like he owns it. He comes for the first time but after minutes, he seems to visit often already. He surely like to do everything as he wants but strangely Yoongi’s way of acting does not annoyed me.
“That’s my line” I say then crossing my arms in front of my chest, expecting him to give me better answer than that. I don’t expect a thing, just curios why he choose to not go after spending his time to get ready.
“I’m going because Kookie said you’ll be there too. How can I survive without you in the crowd of crazy drunkards? I will be bored to death”
“You were doing fine before you know me though”


He seems thinking a little too long when he hears my comeback. He let out a sigh, “you got me there”. 
I just stare blankly at him, waiting him to continue. He stalls the time, hoping I lose interest and let it passes. But he also knows that I’m different, the very first reason he befriends with me.
“It’s you”
His words linger in the air. I don’t say anything to that nor he adds explanation. I finally divert my eyes to the television, knowing the comfort silence will actually come and fill in. Yoongi still look at the side of my face but I still say nothing. It’s always been like this, Yoongi, me and silence. He drapes his right arms to my shoulder, causing me to open my mouth in shocked. I see Yoongi holding in his smile because of me in the corner of my eyes. He feels satisfied to do that small action for the first time. Teasing him will be very interesting. I try to shrug his arm off my shoulder and he gasps in return. I smirk and turn to him, catching him pout his lips like a kid. The Yoongi I see tonight is surely the new man I haven’t met before.


“Why?” he asks softly. He seems scared of my answer. The cold and confident Yoongi is scared because I push his arm away? That’s not happening, right?
“Too hot, Yoongi” I point his turtleneck that surely made form a thick cotton. He opens his mouth to protest but I stop him by standing from my seat in the sudden.
“I’ll bring you a comfy big t-shirt,” he looks at me with confusion before I continue, “so I can cuddle to you all night?”


Yoongi’s cheeks blush at my comment. The pink color complements his light skin very much and makes him look so young. The almighty Yoongi is just a shy man tonight. He looks like a cute kid, not the scary senior like everyone tells about, not the arrogant popular kid I met at the park a month ago. I don’t think I’ve done something like this before too, but it does feel good. He now gives me his gummy smile that makes me smile with him. The heat of summer this year will be my favorite.