Exposed

yours by accident

I rolled off the seat which I had been put to rest on, my knees hitting the marble floor with a thud. The nurse helped me up. "Um. What?" I got off my chair questioning her existence. "You came as a volunteer right? To get inseminated as an example for future doctors?" Her face tense. "Ma'am I am a future doctor I was supposed to watch! This was my final lab too!"

"Youre in class B right?!" I pulled a students face towards me and he nodded nervously. "He's from class B. I'm from class A.... My lab was supposed to happen hours earlier! How long was I passed out?!" My head spinning again. I stepped back, trying to find balance so I didn't pass out again.

"Ma'am we'll talk once we take care of your health. Your not looking so good." The nurse helped me into a wheelchair. "Well of course, I've just been artificially inseminated without consent!" 

I forced myself to stay awake but the lack of food took over my body again and I passed out again, waking up in alone in a hospital room. The IV drip in my arm was sore and looking at it made me nauseous. I ringed the bell for a nurse. 

After a short while the same nurse walked into the room. "Aliya right? Well while you were resting I realized what happened was I messed up the files and took one from the students instead of the volunteers." She was obviously remorseful. "Can I have your name please." my voice was low and I hung my head over my shoulders. "Sarah Jacobs." she said. "The volunteer is here and the class has to do the lab again.... with you this time." Sarah added. "Can you pull these out of me I want to leave." Sarah began to do her job waiting till the drip was ready to be removed before pulling it out and handing me a bag of pretzles. "They'll help your blood sugar." she said. I shoved them into my pocket and headed to my lab.

As soon as I walked in Alex bombarded me with questions. "So it was you right? Does that mean your pregnant now? Did you eat? You should eat. It'll be bad for the baby otherwise." 

The baby. I didnt even want to think about the possiblity of getting pregnant ... and I shouldnt have been thinking about that. I had barley graduated university.

I stood and stared at the lab as it proceeded, watching the actual volunteer get inseminated realizing that everyone had probably seen me just the same way. I was abducted by my thoughts and by the time I snapped out of it the lab was over. My head hung low as I walked out of class.

Alex rushed out of class putting his arm around my shoulders. "Lets go find the nurse." I looked up at him while we walked into the nurses office. 

The lady at the counter stared at me through her thick glasses. 

"Is Sarah Jacobs here?" 

"You mean Sarah with a J?" the lady raised an eyebrow. 

"Sarah Jacobs... the nurse." I clarified. 

The woman rolled her eyes and then picked up the phone beside her. "Send Sarah with a J out here." she hung the phone up and motioned with her eyes that I should go sit down. 

A nurse walked out of the rooms from behind the receptionists desk yaking off her gloves and proceeding to wash her hands in a sink set up in the room across us. 

"Sarah with a J is present." She walked towards us, wiping her hands on her skirt. 

"Thats not Jacobs." I muttered to Alex. 

"Uhm, do you know Sarah Jacobs?" I got up and greeted J with a handshake. 

"No hunny not unless you let me know where she was today." J smiled at me. 

"She was doing the lab with class A earlier today." Alex spoke. 

"Okay let me look it up." J pulled out her phone, typing away before turning the screen towards me. "Are you talking about her?" she showed me a picture of Sarah Jacobs. 

"Yeah thats Jacobs right?" 

"Um ... thats not her. Thats just a nurse who was volunteering."